Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
For flowers, the Pax is the most efficient vape I have... On medium, the loaf always comes out much darker than the herb in the Extreme-Q (half a hurricane bowl at 230F).

Herb always comes out darker in conduction vapes. This does not necessarily mean it is more efficient.

I think why most people say the Pax is inefficient is because it requires a good amount to produce thick hits. I could put a tenth of a gram in my old EQ with an elbow pack and get a couple potent hits. I remember putting the same amount in the Pax for the first time and was extremely underwhelmed. This never bothered me much as I vape a third of a gram per session anyway. It just means no reloading for me.

tranceporter,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
the only reason you use more herb is because the pax is so fun to use :peace:
This. Had this same problem, I nearly doubled my intake the first few weeks of owning, I had to do a few returns and every time I got a new pax in the mail I'd turn into a crack head again. I wouldnt put oil in it though, I smoked a 10th and a 5th of a gram of fine bubble hash out of my pax, it handled the tenth great, I just put a thin even layer on the middle of the screen, the second pack I doubled the load sense I had such good results, but it didnt handle it, it sludged up the oven, and was really fucking hard to clean. Worse, when I went to blaze some exceptionally tasty LA Confidential, it tasted like straight asshole. It was honestly worse tasting than anything I have hit in a while, probably only thing worse is smoking bowl resin. I couldn't take more than a hit before unpacking it. The hash I used was amazing tasting. :shrug:

Mr.Krinkle,
looks pretty sweet but idk seems lacking to me for 250 bucks, im totally new to vapes though and have had only 1 real one (da vinci) and 1 kinda one (vapor genie), so maybe i cant be a very good opinion but the fact you cant even set the actual temp to a desires state is weird to me, to me the desighn is very unique but i see rooms for errors, i like it though it looks tight totally sleek and cool i wonder what draws it could produce.

laugingsodreamy12,

francis

Vape enthusiasms
looks pretty sweet but idk seems lacking to me for 250 bucks...but the fact you cant even set the actual temp to a desires state is weird to me.
same here, its the reason why i havent ordered yet.
i'm reading on the Ascent by davinci ,this one does have temp control.
the glass parts sure is good for health and taste but its easy to break in a portable vape...

francis,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
I have yet to see one person who bought one come on here and talk shit about the pax after. Everyone usually has the same reaction of "HOLY FUCK THIS IS AWESOME!"

Mr.Krinkle,
Reactions: jeff
I have yet to see one person who bought one come on here and talk shit about the pax after. Everyone usually has the same reaction of "HOLY FUCK THIS IS AWESOME!"
Is it as stinky as people say? I hear a lot of stink talk. That's the main thing turning me off.

kelper,

JoeKickass

I was enjoying a 0.3g pax + pinnacle tube sesh this morning, thinking about why I love the pax.

I think it's because it always gets me over-medicated, and for someone with a high tolerance and reasonably low budget that's a welcome thing :tup:

Yes, yes maintenance and smells and hisses but that's love for you :luv:

Beaunaire

Today I feel great, lungs and throat dont hurt at all for the first time in weeks!!

Great news, glad you're feeling better. Take it easy getting back in again, listen to what your respiratory system tells you. Your tolerance will be down a bit which will help you minimize consumption as well. Common sense stuff.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I was enjoying a 0.3g pax + pinnacle tube sesh this morning, thinking about why I love the pax.

I think it's because it always gets me over-medicated, and for someone with a high tolerance and reasonably low budget that's a welcome thing :tup:

Yes, yes maintenance and smells and hisses but that's love for you :luv:

I can relate, putting the pax on red always gets me over medicated fast, so I can use that to push me over the edge a bit later in the day after. :tup:

jambandphan03,

vapeguy

I couldn't decide between the Pax and Inhalater XP and ended up deciding on the Pax. The reason is that so many are having the XP fail within days or weeks of use with some in the XP thread asking things like "Has anyone actually had an XP that still worked after 2 weeks?" That was enough to make me forget about the XP, I really don't want to have a vape that could die after days or weeks of normal use and having to send it back and forth for repairs. I was leaning towards the XP as some say it's more efficient, when it works that is, but it's 0% efficient when it dies which seems very common. I also didn't like the idea of buying $10+ capsules that have a limited life.

I like that the Pax seems to have much less problems and returns as well as better customer service. I also love the feature where it reduces temp when idle for 20 seconds and the fact that the inactivity timeout starts from the time it is no longer moving rather than from the time you turn it on, this should mostly eliminate the annoying frequent power offs you get during use with the Solo.

I can't wait to get it, probably next week. It will replace my Solo which is great but I find the load size ridiculously small.

looks pretty sweet but idk seems lacking to me for 250 bucks, im totally new to vapes though and have had only 1 real one (da vinci) and 1 kinda one (vapor genie), so maybe i cant be a very good opinion but the fact you cant even set the actual temp to a desires state is weird to me, to me the desighn is very unique but i see rooms for errors, i like it though it looks tight totally sleek and cool i wonder what draws it could produce.

same here, its the reason why i havent ordered yet.
i'm reading on the Ascent by davinci ,this one does have temp control.
the glass parts sure is good for health and taste but its easy to break in a portable vape...

The Pax DOES have temp control, I'm not sure if you really think it has no temp control because there's no visible buttons (the temp control button is hidden under the mouthpiece) or if you're saying it has no temp control because it only has 3 temperature settings. I never considered the 3 temperature settings to be a problem as they are set to the 3 perfect temperatures, in fact I rarely use more than those 3 temperatures on my Solo (which has 7 settings).

Those 3 temperatures are more than enough, and while it's true you'd have finer control with more options, it's still more than enough especially since they are all within the perfect range.
The only thing that concerned me with the Pax was that some say it's less efficient, but the limitation to 3 preset temperatures never bothered me.

francis

Vape enthusiasms
I couldn't decide between the Pax and Inhalater XP and ended up deciding on the Pax. The reason is that so many are having the XP fail within days or weeks of use with some in the XP thread asking things like "Has anyone actually had an XP that still worked after 2 weeks?" That was enough to make me forget about the XP, I really don't want to have a vape that could die after days or weeks of normal use and having to send it back and forth for repairs. I was leaning towards the XP as some say it's more efficient, when it works that is, but it's 0% efficient when it dies which seems very common. I also didn't like the idea of buying $10+ capsules that have a limited life.

I like that the Pax seems to have much less problems and returns as well as better customer service.

I can't wait to get it, probably next week. It will replace my Solo which is great but I find the load size ridiculously small.

The Pax DOES have temp control, I'm not sure if you really think it has no temp control because there's no visible buttons (the temp control button is hidden under the mouthpiece) or if you're saying it has no temp control because it only has 3 temperature settings. I never considered the 3 temperature settings to be a problem as they are set to the 3 perfect temperatures, in fact I rarely use more than those 3 temperatures on my Solo (which has 7 settings).
Those 3 temperatures are more than enough, and while it's true you'd have finer control with more options, it's still more than enough especially since they are all within the perfect range.
The only thing that concerned me with the Pax was that some say it's less efficient, but there limitation to 3 preset temperatures never bothered me.

IMO,
the PAX does not have temps control , it has temps presets.

i wish i could choose the exact temp , as i like to start vaping at 325, and rarely over 375.

francis,

vapeguy

the PAX does not have temps control , it has temps preset.

i wish i could choose the exact temp , as i like to start vaping at 325, and rarely over 375.

If you hold it really, really still, you could vape at 300 while it's in power save mode lol.

One cool function would be if you could connect it to a PC to program what 3 temperatures you want preset.

francis

Vape enthusiasms
If you hold it really, really still, you could vape at 300 while it's in power save mode lol.

One cool function would be if you could connect it to a PC to program what 3 temperatures you want preset.
this is what i've been thinking for days ! this is basic coding.

but this requires software and hardware modding. there they better do a totally new version with OLED screen.

BUT a simple software update, with something like 2 sets or range :

Lower range (300,325,350)
Higher range (370,390,410)

of course now you got to figure a way to choose bewteen range1 and range2 , and then between low,med,high...

just an idea.

I'm trying the PAX out tonight. Impressions to follow.
yeah let us know ! looking foward your impressions , good or bad.

mod note: Please avoid back-to-back posts, use Edit instead. Two posts merged.

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
The presets are nice. I like them as is :) cant see why anyone would want more when the current three give me everything I want. I wouldnt go higher than red (I dont even use red) and I certainly wouldnt go lower than yellow (one of mine has a 4th temp thats lower than yellow (Blue) and its utterly useless) orange is just right (goldie locks?)

francis

Vape enthusiasms
The presets are nice. I like them as is :) cant see why anyone would want more when the current three give me everything I want. I wouldnt go higher than red (I dont even use red) and I certainly wouldnt go lower than yellow (one of mine has a 4th temp thats lower than yellow (Blue) and its utterly useless) orange is just right (goldie locks?)
isn't blue light the standby light

francis,

francis

Vape enthusiasms
The presets are nice. I like them as is :) cant see why anyone would want more when the current three give me everything I want.

Lower temps differents effects.but then again i do not own a pax so ..
maybe this kind of vape isn't effective with lower temps...

francis,

TommydCat

I saw the question again about smell and want to kinda clear it up from various perspectives. I'm a MMJ patient myself, and legal in my state without that (though no public consumption is part of the package, but no one's been cited for that quite yet) and I'm still paranoid about the smells and "people knowing."

As far as "stink", it's not stealth, not even close. As far as "stink", it's not anywhere close to lighting up a jay or exhaling a huge rip.

Outside, a light breeze, maybe you could get away with some light tokes in immediate company. In a crowded bar you could get a couple of tokes in before people pick up on the smell and look around. In a concert, unless the person next to you is watching I doubt they'd ever pick up on anything unless you use it to mimicking a musical instrument to play along.

It still leaves behind the hot pot kind of smell (or like someone just opened a huujass garbage bag of weed), and if you spend the load a bit like buttered popcorn (but definitely pot).

So inside, yeah, it's gonna be obvious, but people may not associate the thing in your hand with the smell unless they see you puffing. Find a big HVAC air intake to blow in or find a smoking areas in which other smoke will help mask the smell.

Outside, if you're walking and the sidewalk isn't crowded, have people walk past and turn and look but not initially at me. People walking behind will really pick up on the smell and watch you to see if you're smoking something, but if you make no conspicuous moves or blow smoke, they're curious but clueless. If you're standing still, people will triangulate your ass.

Car? Sure, but my car with sunroof open. Bus? Train? gtfo

I have a second portable vape for on the go and in public... But I mainly enjoy the Pax while driving when I'm a few minutes from home (to delay the buzz until I'm parked, but keeps the smells away from my house), in my backyard (if it's kinda breezy and the neighbors aren't outside), at shows (be careful not to drop it!!!) and when I'm out with friends (those fuckers aren't clogging anymore of my Persei cartridges, though it blows their mind when I whip out the Nibbler and stick it on).

Hopefully that helps paint the full picture of what to expect smell-wise. Even in the smallest closet with no ventilation, it smells SOO much better than combustion, and I believe the smell enhances our enjoyment of the flavor as well.

Herb always comes out darker in conduction vapes. This does not necessarily mean it is more efficient.

I think why most people say the Pax is inefficient is because it requires a good amount to produce thick hits. I could put a tenth of a gram in my old EQ with an elbow pack and get a couple potent hits. I remember putting the same amount in the Pax for the first time and was extremely underwhelmed. This never bothered me much as I vape a third of a gram per session anyway. It just means no reloading for me.
Not necessarily, but it's a great point and I would like to know how the darkness to extraction efficiency actually works. FOR SCIENCE!

You know, we don't have any real way of quantifying any of this stuff. If your flowers were lab tested, you have an approximate knowledge of what and how many cannibinoids are present to be released per unit. Is there a test that exists to figure out what and how much comes out the other end of a vaporizer?

Our only source of information is a large mass of stoners... While amusing, it's long past time to start taking this seriously...

mod note: Please avoid back-to-back posts, use Edit instead. Two posts merged.

francis

Vape enthusiasms
I saw the question again about smell and want to kinda clear it up from various perspectives. I'm a MMJ patient myself, and legal in my state without that (though no public consumption is part of the package, but no one's been cited for that quite yet) and I'm still paranoid about the smells and "people knowing."

As far as "stink", it's not stealth, not even close. As far as "stink", it's not anywhere close to lighting up a jay or exhaling a huge rip.

what about the unit itself ? does the pax smell alot ?

francis,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom