Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I had the same feeling about #2 on your list the first few hours I used the unit. Now I don't really even think about it much. I just sort of adapted to the way it clicks closed. A little tip: when the mouthpiece starts to stick it is time to clean the device. The longer you go without cleaning the more sticky the motion will get. If you don't want to do a full cleaning you can take some ISO and clean off the inside of the mouthpiece tube and the inside of the vapor path.

#3 I have never once had the lid fall off of my unit. I would be very interested to see if yours ever does. Mine also pivots, but never enough to come open. I keep mine in my front shirt pocket. Where do you plan on keeping yours? Do you plan on keeping other things int he pocket with the device? I decided I did not want to have anything in the pocket with the device, because I did not want to risk scratching the aluminum exterior.

Have you had a session with the device yet? I would love to know what you think of the performance. My best recommendation for how to hit the device is slow and steady. You can even do the puffing you would do on a cigar or tobacco pipe.

I am so excited to see everyone getting units!

Slightly Medicated,

jhpfunk

I'd probably keep it in my front jeans pocket without anything else when I'm seated and in the back pocket when I'm walking. I'm waiting to try it out so that it'll be scent free when it goes on the airplane. Do you think it'd raise en eyebrow if I choose to carry on my bag instead of checking it?

Also, don't you find that most portable vapes require a slow, steady draw? Is this about the same?

jhpfunk,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I'd probably keep it in my front jeans pocket without anything else when I'm seated and in the back pocket when I'm walking. I'm waiting to try it out so that it'll be scent free when it goes on the airplane. Do you think it'd raise en eyebrow if I choose to carry on my bag instead of checking it?

Also, don't you find that most portable vapes require a slow, steady draw? Is this about the same?

Not a bad plan to wait. Make sure you get it really clean before the flight back. I don't think they will bother your about it. It is meant to be used as a tobacco vaporizer... and it marketed as such. I think you could use it and clean it before the first flight and be fine. You could even buy some loose leaf tobacco and put it in your bag next to the PAX, maybe even load some int he oven. That would help back up any story you would tell abut it being a tobacco vaporizer. I don't think you will get hassled though.

No, all my portables require different draw speeds. Some of then very very slow, some of them medium, and some of them as fast as you can. The PAX works better with a slow draw. The MiniVap works better by drawing as fast as you can. It all just depends on how the product heats up the material.

Slightly Medicated,

jhpfunk

One more thing I noticed. After playing around for 10 minutes of on/off and whatnot, I recharged it before it gets packed and it took a solid 20 minutes. Do you think that's normal for such limited use?

jhpfunk,

Tim

One more thing I noticed. After playing around for 10 minutes of on/off and whatnot, I recharged it before it gets packed and it took a solid 20 minutes. Do you think that's normal for such limited use?

I wouldn't worry too much about top-off times. But I'm one of those people that leaves his devices on their respective chargers.

Tim,

Vapor Junkie

The last 5% of a charge on a lithium battery always takes much longer than the rest of the charge. This is normal.

Vapor Junkie,
Reactions: Tim

suhbliem

Grower
Some info that some of you guys might find helpful: Lithium ion batteries have a trickle charge at the end of the cycle which cuts amperage to around 0.1-0.5 amps and takes about 30% of the total charging time. If you store lithium ion batteries it is best to store them at 60-80% capacity. do not store the battery for more than a couple days at full charge without using it and discharging it otherwise the battery will oxidize faster and reduce overall life of the battery. Because these batteries have a charge time of 1 hour and the capacity of the pack is 2600mAH this means the wall charged included is charging at 2.6 amps. You can decrease the charge time of the unit by increasing the amperage to 5.2 amps effectively charging at "2C". This would charge the battery in half an hour.

when storing lithium batteries for over 1 month make sure that the battery does not drain past 30% (only way to test this is to use a volt meter on charging contacts on the mouth piece). batteries that are allowed to drain past 30% have their life severely reduced and are sometimes difficult to charge. batteries lose about .01 volt per week so over the course of a 3 month winter your battery will have lost about 25% of it's useable charge capacity so keep that in mind when checking for voltage. I would say as long as the battery meter stays in the yellow you are good to go.

I do this with all of my lithium gadgets and these habits defintely improve overall performance and life of the battery. I think it is even more important on contained models like these where the battery is not easily changed.

Thoughts on charging at 2C?

suhbliem,
Reactions: Arian

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
Some info that some of you guys might find helpful: Lithium ion batteries have a trickle charge at the end of the cycle which cuts amperage to around 0.1-0.5 amps and takes about 30% of the total charging time. If you store lithium ion batteries it is best to store them at 60-80% capacity. do not store the battery for more than a couple days at full charge without using it and discharging it otherwise the battery will oxidize faster and reduce overall life of the battery. Because these batteries have a charge time of 1 hour and the capacity of the pack is 2600mAH this means the wall charged included is charging at 2.6 amps. You can decrease the charge time of the unit by increasing the amperage to 5.2 amps effectively charging at "2C". This would charge the battery in half an hour.

when storing lithium batteries for over 1 month make sure that the battery does not drain past 30% (only way to test this is to use a volt meter on charging contacts on the mouth piece). batteries that are allowed to drain past 30% have their life severely reduced and are sometimes difficult to charge. batteries lose about .01 volt per week so over the course of a 3 month winter your battery will have lost about 25% of it's useable charge capacity so keep that in mind when checking for voltage. I would say as long as the battery meter stays in the yellow you are good to go.

I do this with all of my lithium gadgets and these habits defintely improve overall performance and life of the battery. I think it is even more important on contained models like these where the battery is not easily changed.

Thoughts on charging at 2C?

You already retired your DaVinci??? Why? That is a really new unit and one I was thinking about(But I got a Puffit instead and now thinking about the PAX)

suhbliem

Grower
You already retired your DaVinci??? Why? That is a really new unit and one I was thinking about(But I got a Puffit instead and now thinking about the PAX)

there are offgassing issues that I can't ignore. the manufacturer won't divulge what is causing the fumes but offers free exchanges but I'm gonna have to pass on that. I medicate to treat my chemo and cancer, not to get more cancer ya know? I'm totally getting the Pax next week. that is going to be my go to device for a while I have a feeling. just gotta figure out a way to passthrough wire it for home use and get a gong type dealio on it for some epic vaping action haha. I feel like the pax is going to be revolutionary in form factor and features and set a new bench mark they just better come out with some sweet accessories for it, mainly the gong interface and passthrough ac adapter

suhbliem,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
just gotta figure out a way to passthrough wire it for home use and get a gong type dealio on it for some epic vaping action haha.

I have an idea on how to do that. I just need an extra mouthpiece. I don't want to cut up the one I have now. Basically I think people will be able to take a saw and cut the metal tube off the mouth piece. Then attach some silicone tube to the metal part and a GonG adapter and you will have a working water filtered PAX.

Slightly Medicated,

suhbliem

Grower
I have an idea on how to do that. I just need an extra mouthpiece. I don't want to cut up the one I have now. Basically I think people will be able to take a saw and cut the metal tube off the mouth piece. Then attach some silicone tube to the metal part and a GonG adapter and you will have a working water filtered PAX.

Good to go!! I remember you mentioning this in your review. What do you think about something that goes over the whole outer case on the mouth peice end like a large piece of silicon tube reduce down to a gong? eh it sounds not so elegant just typing it nevermind lol. I will defintely be trying your suggestion when I get mine. I am like you where all portables hurt my throat due to heat but short of some miniature water cooled airway I dont see how such small devices can cool the air in 4 or less inches haha

suhbliem,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
...I dont see how such small devices can cool the air in 4 or less inches haha

You can't do much. They would put a little ceramic cylinder in the mouthpiece area that you would wet. That would help some... but nothing will help like a trusty water-pipe. It is kind of a trade off for me. All portables hurt my throat some... but I put up with it because I am not at home. I used to not medicate at all when I was out. I never much liked smoking a joint in public. It would smell up EVERYTHING! At least now I can medicate when I need to. It gives me a since of security when I am out, that I did not have before.

jhpfunk

One more question as I was getting ready to toss this (carefully) in my suitcase. Is there a way to disarm the unit so that it doesn't accidentally turn on? The DV has a safety switch. When I pop out the mouthpiece it still feels like it's warm.

jhpfunk,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
One more question as I was getting ready to toss this (carefully) in my suitcase. Is there a way to disarm the unit so that it doesn't accidentally turn on? The DV has a safety switch. When I pop out the mouthpiece it still feels like it's warm.

From my understanding when the mouthpiece is out of the unit it is turned on, but not heating up. I believe that you will eventually loose the charge from the battery if you do that.

I would recommend a rubber band wrapped around the device length wise:

7666774476_968b94970f.jpg

7666775112_f4d5dd3055.jpg

Slightly Medicated,

jhpfunk

I was thinking that or tape inside of a hard case for glasses...and possibly bringing it with me in my carry on just in case. Makes me a bit nervous.

Then again, maybe I'll just drain the battery first and charge it when I get there.

I pulled off the mouthpiece and let it sit and the light eventually went out and it's cool. Wheew. Looks like the suitcase it is.

mod note: back-to-back posts merged. PLease use the edit button, thanks

jhpfunk,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I pulled off the mouthpiece and let it sit and the light eventually went out and it's cool. Wheew. Looks like the suitcase it is.

Good to know. How long before it turned off? I never left the mouthpiece off long enough to find out.

Slightly Medicated,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I just found this Pax review on Gizmodo.

Thought i'd share

Hey SLIM, Do you know anything about the "party mode" they mention?

http://gizmodo.com/5916338/ploom-pax-vaporizer-lightning-review-whoa-baby-where-you-been-all-my-life

Yea, from what I can gather... I was actually the first person to figure it out. I posted a video a few pages back how to activate it.

I also went on a rant about how bad that review is already. ;) so I will spare everyone from going on a rant about it again. :rant:

ilovedoobies!

Mine is coming this Monday or tuesday but I noticed one other site offered this FREE carrying case but I bought mine from vape world and they offer a FREE grinder(all ready have a lot of grinders) ! So I looked into the case the other site was offering and this is what I found!

They are called DIME BAG POUCHES and look like the perfect size so I ordered this grey one for my New PAX.

dimeb-13.jpg

ilovedoobies!,

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
That case does look pretty cool. Mine should be here Tuesday as well and in perfect timing. I'm going on a road trip and there was no way in hell that I would combust. I haven't used it yet but I already know this will definitely trump my old No2 in performance. I was debating if I should save some money and pick up a solo on Amazon but it really isn't very discreet with a gunked up glass stem.

tranceporter,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom