Path from pressed rosin to RTA

windtrader

What hardware atomizers work with pressed raw(non-winterized rosin? Searched high and low and most dab but a some dead end references. Surely, there are some creative problem solvers here who've got something working that provides continuous feed without clogging.

shredder

What hardware atomizers work with pressed raw(non-winterized rosin? Searched high and low and most dab but a some dead end references. Surely, there are some creative problem solvers here who've got something working that provides continuous feed without clogging.

Divine tribe and saionara are two that you can use rosin with. Both fit on a mod battery. There are a lot of pens that rosin works with as well. If you prefer a cart, well that can be problematic for raw rosin.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

Continuous feed? With incredible quality bubble hash you can press that into something that can be post-processed via Jar tech to work in a pen, other than that you won't find anything for rosin in a tank/cart.

You need hash rosin, the absolute best of it in the world. Flower rosin won't cut it, too many lipids.

If you don't have the best rosin in the entire world, I would suggest a load as you go device, something like the upcoming M22 from Advanced Vape Supply.

windtrader

After lots and lots of trials and failed experiments, present SOP is winterizing (QWET) raw pressed rosin or flower before loading carts. Removing fats, lipids, and waxes eliminates the clogging.

Worst case - Keep QWET material then load carts.
Best case - Load raw pressed rosin into RTA or similar atomizer that handles waxes and fats without clogging.

RTA use wicks to draw the oil into the coils. Rather than buy more stuff and spend more time experimenting, some folks must have this working.

Couple issues with wicks - off tasting and clogging. Found this that seems to address the off tasting, not sure about clogging. There must be some material that can be used for wicking that avoids these problems.

windtrader,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
present SOP is winterizing (QWET) raw pressed rosin or flower before loading carts.

Realistically that's probably as good as you're gonna get unless you're pressing world class hash.

Removing fats, lipids, and waxes eliminates the clogging.

Right, so you should see why most rosin doesn't work well in a cart or tank. You need to start with the least amount of plant lipids possible, which is accomplished by using 6 star full melt bubble hash, and then pressing that in a 25u filter before some post-processing.

Rather than buy more stuff and spend more time experimenting, some folks must have this working.

Yes they do, you just need some fresh frozen 6 star full melt bubble hash.

Rosin is great stuff, but getting it in a pen is not easy, if it was easy everyone would be doing it. This comes up on here pretty often for people wanting to fill carts, but it's still the same verdict: winterize your pressed rosin or start with full melt hash.

mephisto

profile2.jpg

Wotofo's Profile Unity tank and RDA with OFRF nexMESH are a new level of performance for e-cig gear, IMO. Wotofo's other innovation is a spring-loaded ceramic channel under the wick that keeps it pressed up against the mesh.

Above, a shatter dab between the mesh and wick. Finally, a proper canna e-juice experience! Thick and luxurious. The dab and juice mix in the vapor phase, where solubility's no issue. Use anything you like from unflavored 100% AVG to your favorite nicotine or CBD e-juice. No need for PEG or added terpenes. Flavor is off the charts, deliciously sweetened by the VG.

Great for that moment in a session when you can't decide whether you're ready for another dab. Still a very strong hit, but stretched out as some of the dab melts into the VG.

@Filhote - check this out, you'd love it.
There is some interesting reading in the Profile thread. I just set up a Profile tank with SS316 mesh, organic cotton for wicking. Need to press some rosin to direct load to the top of the mesh. Meanwhile, enjoying the combo of vaping the Lavender VG juice and rosin at the same time ala @Accept

Thanks to @Edgedamage as well for the inspiration. I stacked my Wotofo onto the double barrel from Squid Industries. Probably not going to use the recommended 50 watts, gonna try and stay lower.

Did not mean to jack your thread @windtrader, Welcome to FC!

Deleted Member 1643

Recommend searching for posts by @Vape Donkey 650. Believe he came up with several solutions that would be of interest.

Still using the Profile daily for nic juice. Use much less and get better flavor and performance than coils. Haven't done the shatter combo lately.

Deleted Member 1643,

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Carts even clog up in ecigs using PG/VG/nicotine/flavorings, it's the build up of gunk = the enemy. I don't see any wicking material that isin't "self cleaning" that will handle pressed flower rosin. What's being asked is some space age shit, and while I dig it, I don't see anyone having figured it out yet. There are many cart manufacturers and I guarantee you that they are looking at solutions for quite some time now...

All that being said, what @invertedisdead mentioned winterize or use the best of the best, consider how much yield off the original starting material it takes to achieve the best of the best, and you see it would be a mere treat. What most of us are looking for is sustainability I think?

The draw of the pen is discreet quick hits, a good pen only takes a couple hits. You can achieve the same thing, minus some size, with a bucket style ecig MOD atomizer. The downside is having to clean it, but it's because the fats and lipids, it's an obvious problem that has an obvious solution. All ya gotta do is do a dab of it and see what you wipe up. Yes, that is the stuff that's destroying coils.

Anyone check with NASA on this yet?

windtrader

Digging around more and found this. dotSquonk is an RDA based on a manual feed, directly depositing oil directly onto the coils. Does require special mod that supports squonk feed to heat chamber.

"Wickless" so no clogging between source and coil. Coil may gunk up but decent blast of heat should burn it all off? There is a wick to catch overflow fluid from squonk hole.

The squonk hole and tube seem sized to accommodate thick oil with little restriction.

Image of squonk supply opening to coil

Divine tribe and saionara are two that you can use rosin with.
It seems these LAYG devices; really searching for something that does multiple sessions without reloading.
If you don't have the best rosin in the entire world, I would suggest a load as you go device, something like the upcoming M22 from Advanced Vape Supply.
Really, really looking for a non LAYG solution.
Rosin is great stuff, but getting it in a pen is not easy, if it was easy everyone would be doing it. This comes up on here pretty often for people wanting to fill carts, but it's still the same verdict: winterize your pressed rosin or start with full melt hash.
Fully agree it is not easy. lol. Check out squonk atomizer described below; maybe this can work.
There is some interesting reading in the Profile thread. I just set up a Profile tank with SS316 mesh, organic cotton for wicking. Need to press some rosin to direct load to the top of the mesh. @AcceptDid not mean to jack your thread @windtrader, Welcome to FC!
Did some research on the Profile atomizers, both RDA and RTA. RTA uses wick and RDA supplied via squonk still draws oil into coil via wick. Maybe these can work for thick oil if one gets the right wick material to flow and not clog on unwinterized material. Thanks for welcome, great crew here!
Recommend searching for posts by @Vape Donkey 650. Believe he came up with several solutions that would be of interest.
Will do. Thanks.
I don't see any wicking material that isin't "self cleaning" that will handle pressed flower rosin. What's being asked is some space age shit, and while I dig it, I don't see anyone having figured it out yet. There are many cart manufacturers and I guarantee you that they are looking at solutions for quite some time now...

The draw of the pen is discreet quick hits, a good pen only takes a couple hits. You can achieve the same thing, minus some size, with a bucket style ecig MOD atomizer. The downside is having to clean it, but it's because the fats and lipids, it's an obvious problem that has an obvious solution. All ya gotta do is do a dab of it and see what you wipe up. Yes, that is the stuff that's destroying coils.
My limited experience with LAYG leaves me with a mess that needs cleaning up. I'm sure with more practice this can be minimized but if buildup of fats, waxes, and lipids occurs with unwinterized rosin then cleaning coils is unavoidable. Does the ceramic dish design avoid gunk buildup or still require a cleanup now and then?[/QUOTE]

windtrader,
Reactions: shredder

windtrader

Still have to swab the deck with the ceramic dish. The aforementioned M22 from AVS looks like it will be the chicken bomb!
Having a manually activated oil dripper mounted above the burner on anything would solve my main issue. Think of oil loaded syringe with large needle. Little squeeze release oil directly into heater.

windtrader,

mephisto

Like a topside firing Squonk box. If you had the right cooktop, cleanup could become a thing of the past. Inhale the first "X" seconds of your draw, stop inhale, continue to hold fire button. Sic skillet performs thermonuclear annihilation of the fats and waxes......it could happen.

windtrader

Having a manually activated oil dripper mounted above the burner on anything would solve my main issue. Think of oil loaded syringe with large needle. Little squeeze release oil directly into heater.
OK. Learned much more about squonker mods and RDA design with feed via 510 threaded post.
This one looks very promising - Vandy Vape Pulse X.

Here's a nice overview of various current squonk mods.

Found squonk RDA with top drip - Pulse V2 RDA. This shows the top feed port to the coils and this one shows the fluid being fed onto coils.

Main concern is most of these mods/RDA are designed for ejuice, not thick thc oil. Likely would have to fiddle with dilution to get viscosity within the design parameters. It would be an acceptable tradeoff to thin the oil. From a practical standpoint, it may not make much difference since you'd draw more material so probably similar net thc dosage.

As a regulated mod, tweaking the many settings should produce optimal performance. Being an RDA allows for various coils. There is wicking material but it seems there to catch and sop up overflowed fluid rather than many designs where the cotton wicking is necessary to feed liquid into the coils.

Going to sleep on this but something like this kit is a real deal.

windtrader,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Deleted Member 1643

That dotMod squonk mod looks like it would be great for nic juice. Might have to pick one up. Currently use Vandy's Pulse mod. It's a little messy, like most squonkers (the dotMod has a better squonk connection). Also used an earlier version of the Pulse RDA for nic juice and went through a wickless phase. Wicked still works better, IMO. Another possibility is Vandy's Maze RDA, coil-less, but still uses a wick.

You will probably need to thin your rosin-based concentrate significantly to work in this sort of set up. They're designed for thinner nic-juice, and provide some resistance when squeezing the silicone bottle to load. That resistance could well be too much for thick cannabis oil.

There doesn't seem to be any consensus on the best way to thin - all have drawbacks. The options, AFAIK, are glycols (PEG. PG), terpenes, MCT oil, or some combination. With glycols, you'll need to use PEG for a relatively concentrated oil. Many find the flavor of PEG to be disagreeable. Some have reported using just PG at higher dilutions. IME, concentrate won't dissolve in VG at all - even a drop of VG in the mix will pull it out of solution.

Terpenes seem like a better solution, because cannabis already has lots of terpenes. You need to be careful - one terp supplier has apparently been selling a product that contains no terpenes whatsoever. (It's probably just mineral oil.) Also, it's easy to use too much - terpenes may be harmful, or at least irritating, in larger doses.

1:1 MCT oil might be worth a try - at carefully controlled temps below its smoke point. Keep meaning to try, but at this point, content with LAYG one-hitter options. Not much incentive to waste concentrate - which will very likely happen, if you try to get any of these methods to work.

Man - time limit expired while writing. Gotta love copy and paste.

Just noticed @NimbusVapor listed their Hercules in the classifieds thread. This is older tech, but it does what you want. You can load it with oil and hit it repeatedly. (Thought about reproducing their stealth set-up, in the past.) The manufacturer vanished, and the Herc has a bunch of tiny parts - as well as a learning curve, but many owners swear by them. (Looking at you, @PPN.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Deleted Member 1643,
Reactions: PPN

shredder

It seems these LAYG devices; really searching for something that does multiple sessions without reloading.

I use a saionara on a 75w pico mod, and use the ceramic coils. I load large rosin dabs about twice a day, if I hit on it all day. But I have two that I use and I also vape herb so realistically I'm loading every second or third day. Of course im using low temps so that helps it last longer too.

And depending on how dirty my sai is or if it starts to taste bad after using it a while I just wipe the dish with a paper towel and reload. It's that simple. If they're more dirty I just pop on a clean coil and reload. Coils are about $7. I bought several five packs of coils so I only do a deep clean with warmed iso every couple weeks or so depending on usage.

Now if I wanted a quicker hotter nail like session I'd use a bucket. And buckets are very easy to clean.

So there are choices depending on your style or likes. And new options are coming quickly.

windtrader

I use a saionara on a 75w pico mod, and use the ceramic coils. I load large rosin dabs about twice a day, if I hit on it all day. But I have two that I use and I also vape herb so realistically I'm loading every second or third day. Of course im using low temps so that helps it last longer too.
Is it the SAI TAF?
On load size, how large is "large"?
What temp is considered "low"?
Doesn't the remaining rosin change as the load keeps geting heated and consumed?

windtrader,
Reactions: shredder

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
If youre pressing high quality hash into rosin, you can throw it in a jar with a lid and throw that in a water bath for a little bit, it will turn it into an almost distillate type consistency...

Mynameismud,

shredder

Is it the SAI TAF?
On load size, how large is "large"?
What temp is considered "low"?
Doesn't the remaining rosin change as the load keeps geting heated and consumed?

I have a taf, and a regular sai. But I rarely use the buckets. So the taf is not really needed.

Load size about 1.5-2 grains of rice. Much more than I'd do in my enail.

I use 16.5-17watts currently and 280-300°F. Although I suspect that the coil is hotter than that.

The rosin does change after a while. But using my sai the way I do, the good taste lasts quite a long time. The key I think is low temps, and temperature control.

When the taste goes south I clean and reload. It helps that I grow and squeeze my own. If I had to buy my gear I'd probably vape it longer.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
The manufacturer vanished, and the Herc has a bunch of tiny parts - as well as a learning curve, but many owners swear by them. (Looking at you, @PPN.)
Yes I like a lot my Hercule! Always ready for a hit, I clean it only every 3-4 reloads of 0.4g each (it depends the concentrate), for now I'm using the 7.4v white rod but acquired recently a 3.7v black rod I didn't tested but offers the TC feature (with white rod you are stuck in power mode). I agree there is a steep learning curve but it's not so difficult since you master it, I have one since 4 years and get the hang out of it since a while!
To be honnest the Classifieds offer is not very interesting in term of price since you can get a brand new Movkin for 30$ shipped in Dhgate and a brand new 510 hercule for 70$ shipped at PIU but you still need a pair of batteries... maybe it's worth it with the bag of accessories.

Actually I use my Hercule paired with a big VW battery pen shaped, previously I used it with my Movkin too but it's paired with an Iheat now. I used it too with a small mod box by Atmos with integrated battery but it doesn't work anymore now, and with an Evic mini too... no issues with all this setup except the simple pen shaped battery is not so much sensible to a small build issue than the more sophisticated mod box.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
To be honnest the Classifieds offer is not very interesting in term of price since you can get a brand new Movkin for 30$ shipped in Dhgate and a brand new 510 hercule for 70$ shipped at PIU but you still need a pair of batteries... maybe it's worth it with the bag of accessories.

Puffitup doesn't have any W9 stuff, they just have the pages up for back links to their website. All those parts have been discontinued for a while.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Puffitup doesn't have any W9 stuff, they just have the pages up for back links to their website. All those parts have been discontinued for a while.
Yes, no Hercules anymore at PIU or PV but there is still some SR-71s (older version) for sale at PlanetVape, it looks like it was the most powerfull Hercule but, maybe, a bit more tricky to use than the SR-74 though.

Got a V4 by Divine Tribe recently and it's amazing but it's a layg device (and you need to carry some q-tip with you not very convenient!). Taste is on pair with an enail!

Top Bottom