Parole Labor in California WTF? - pissed off by a friend's story

Status
Not open for further replies.

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
We have a free boarder right now who has ADHD, just turned 18, and defended our daughter when she was attacked by an older man in our complex - the boy staying with us cracked the guys rear windshield with my daughter's skateboard to try to get him to stop attacking my daughter. The guy walked with only a weapons charge, the boy was indicted for vandalism and is now on parole. He has to do two days of labor in a work program each month, and they grade them for how well they work. But it seems like most of the grade he received wasn't about how well he worked, but how well he tolerated humiliation and how well he suppressed his ADHD tendencies (of which he has little control, and this includes his ability to listen and retain verbal instruction and keeping still and quiet).

The boy, now staying with us for free, went for his first day of parole labor yesterday. He came back with a story that makes me so pissed off, I could spit.

He went to do roadside trash pickup, and came back after most of a day saying they'd graded him, and since it was a failing grade, an "F" for the day, that meant he has to work an additional six days of labor.

Let me say that again.... He went to do one day of labor, and was told because he didn't act in a way they found acceptable, even though he completed more work than his peers, he has to perform six additional days of labor. And, if this continues to happen, he can be given six additional days of labor for each that he completes. WHAT THE FUCK is going on?!!!

Is this legal? Who do I complain to about this?

Further, he says the woman corrections officer who lead them was black and was constantly using the "n" word, and making racial jokes. And, he was the only white kid in the group. He says he picked up 6 bags of trash, while most others only picked up 4-5.

He said his belt was taken away, and to keep his pants from hanging and exposing his boxer shorts the woman duct taped his pants. He apparently found the duct tape didn't work for him, or was too humiliating, and removed the duct tape later on, to which the woman told him he could be charged with indecent exposure since his boxers could be seen and his pants were hanging low, and since there were women doing trash pickup several hundred feet away from them.

He was frisked twice, but the change in his pocket was missed. On the transport a guard heard his change, and made a big deal about it, causing a further drop in his grade.

He says he got most of the attention. He says he now realizes he hadn't absorbed all of the instructions given during orientation, or during the verbal instructions (he'd read what they told him to read, but apparently added instructions during the verbal portion...and his grade was lowered because he wasn't focused during the verbal instructions).

Since when has our criminal justice system DECLARED OPEN SEASON on our ADHD youth?!
What the FUCK gives them the ability and power to push people around like this?
And since when do they allow black people to use prejudicial language, but not whites? That seems to clearly show she's not going to properly represent everyone equally in the community if her thinking includes that language.

What should I do, besides working to become a civil rights lawyer?

VWFringe,
Reactions: Vicki

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
I don't know if there is anything effective that you'll be able to accomplish but I would inform his parole officer of your boarders situation in a face to face meeting. If you do it over the phone you'll probably be placated but nothing will change. Make a big stink in the parole office, if you aren't able to come to an agreement about his treatment at the labour camp. Squeeky wheels get oiled!

notmyrealUSERname,

turk

turk
...the purpose of the penal "system" is to punish...pure and simple...nobody cares how "inmates" are treated......that's just the way it is...it won't change until people demand it....good luck with that...

turk,

djonkoman

sounds like those people are drunk on the little bit of power and influence they have and act their frustrations with theor own life and meaningless job out on the parolees/forced workers

djonkoman,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
I complained in person to the probation officer. He explained he/they would never accept the word of someone on probation over the word of an officer. I asked if he would at least check it out. He said he didn't feel comfortable even asking.

That was a week ago, and today i find out during his office visit, where he was made to wait for over an hour, he was told that because the probation officer didn't appreciate me being in his face he has to find somewhere else to live.

So, there is an avoidance factor when we're talking about the squeky wheel, and factor into that the dark side of our criminal justice system, and bad things are bound to happen, like forcing an eighteen year old to become homeless because an adult can't handle the truth.

So, I left a message asking how i can file a complaint against the probation officer, I'll post back with my bungling of this family drama as events unfold.

VWFringe,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Dude, I know how you feel but a complaint will more than likely only exacerbate the situation. Your friend is stuck between a rock and hard place but it could have been alot worse, ALOT worse. What he needs to do now is make like bamboo and bend in the wind. This system doesn't care. It dosen't do anything but cause misery and fill someones paycheque by emptying someone else's and a complaint is only going to cause a knee jerk reaction by the authorities towards your friend.

If I was in your friends situation I would be bending to their demands but never once reacting to them. That's what they want. They want an excuse to keep another set of hands doing the work for free and they will use anything they can to get that, even the change in someones pocket or an inch of exposed buttcrack. He needs to go through the motions and get out of their system, and to him, the only thing I really have to say keep your chin up, your mouth shut, and it will all be done with soon enough. I'm sorry you have to go through this bullshit.

CentiZen,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
It's too bad you can't get a lawyer to do your talking for you. Maybe then they would care.

Vicki,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
That would only eat money to get those parasites involved. I think the racial jokes are probably the only bit that would be a legal type issue. I can see the system supporting most of the other issues and holding the lad culpable for listening, maintaining appropriate dress and emptying his pockets when asked. But an extra 6 days for that is harsh- I think a single day makes the point quite adequately. Otherwise with persistent bad behaviour you could end up on life long probation for a juvenile mistake! Nothing in the US criminal justice would surprise me though. Surely a parole officer can not tell some one where to live? Can a court even do that?

WatTyler,

Tea Party

Boro Connoisseur
Surely a parole officer can not tell some one where to live? Can a court even do that?

They can and often do. I'm pretty sure if you're on parole you can't leave the state, at least without informing your parole officer.

Tea Party,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Well, look at the sex offender registration. I believe the law says something about how close they can live to school zones if I'm not mistaken. Once you are found "Guilty" of committing a crime your civil liberties can be taken away. Convicted felons cannot legally possess firearms for example. So it may very well be in the pervue of the court/corrections system to do this. Maybe someone here with law enforcement or legal experience can comment.

t-dub,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
sure, I can understand restrictions on movement when in the system. But to say 'I don't like where you live. You must move.' unless through a court ordered eviction, is surely not allowed? Otherwise I could see certain sections of society wanting to put all past convicts into a certain quarter of the town and 'cleansing' the suburbs.

WatTyler,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
My wife says it's probably the way I spoke to the officer, that it lacked respect, (and that I am responsible for his impending homelessness).

Too many names from the past year make it difficult to hold the system in any kind of respect, especially after hearing they treat ADHD people exactly the way you'd need to to make them violent...

Kelly Thomas in Fullerton

Kenneth Chamberlain Sr.
"I AM Troy Davis" t-shirts worn in South Africa

40 by-standers killed serving No-Knock Warrants
Mumia Abu-Jamal
and more recently Treyvon Martin, not killed by police, but indicating bias in how our justice system is applied.

So, perhaps my wife is right, that the venom in my voice is too difficult to listen to... when you're a PIG (just kidding).

This is a problem. I don't know if I should persue the issue or let it drop. They didn't like the fact they could smell my marijuana or that i have a plant (as if he would stop if i didn't).

Another problem was that I told the guy to, "stay here," when I went into my room to retrieve my doctor's marijuana rec after he asked to see it (I didn't like the way he opened and looked in our laundry closet). They told me when they first came that they only needed access to where the kid stayed, I don't appreciate them telling him they have the right to go anywhere in the house if they suspect anything wrong.

So, perhaps the problem is this: There should be a way of raising valid complaints. How necessary is it to sugar coat them?

VWFringe,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Sorry to hear about what happened.. I am sending all my <3 and positive vibrations towards that boy and i hope he soon gets out of that crap.. It is so sadly when the good people get hurt at the expense of the bad guys.. i live in such crapper.. and its karma seems to be unbreakable .. Story like this makes me want to reset the world and take all back to the primal ages ..

Abysmal Vapor,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
What are you trying to imply by this statement?

He's probably implying that some idiot neighborhood watch guy wanted to play cop and killed a kid, and he would be right. If the dumb ass would have just listened to the 911 operator, none of this would have happened. Then, the Sanford police don't even press charges. This police dept. is WELL KNOWN for corruption. Hell, they have been through TWO police chiefs in less than a year. Their cops do bad things, it's well known here locally. They made the WRONG decision when they decided to let Zimmerman walk, everyone knows it, and so does the state prosecutor. The police do not have the right to decide who is innocent and guilty, EVER. That's is a job for the courts.

And, I do know what I'm talking about. We get more news here about Zimmerman than ANYONE else in the country. We get it all day long, every news cast has something new to say. It's just like Casey Anthony. You can't turn on the news without constantly seeing something about it. Most recent news is a new website Mark O'Mara opened for Zimmerman. Oh yeah, and the new Facebook page that only posts stories that make Zimmerman look like the victim. Pathetic and sickening. :(

And, here's a weird one..... Mark O'Mara is not picking up latest discovery against his client because he is in no hurry to get his client to trial. Gee, I wonder why. :rolleyes:

Oh, and lets not forget the new task force that the governor of Florida has assigned just to investigate this case...

**News is on right now, already THREE different stories about Zimmerman. Crazy.

Vicki,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
What are you trying to imply by this statement?

That racial bias still exists at all levels of our society, and throughout many police forces. We incarcerate at six times the global rate, and race has always been mis-represented in our prison system. The Media and Laws in our country have always held an element of racial bias and control. The first newsletter published in America had one piece of paper printed on both sides, and two of the stories were about race (Indians).

Vicki, try to be a cautious news consumer. So much attention to one story can mean different things in TV Land.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Vicki, try to be a cautious news consumer. So much attention to one story can mean different things in TV Land.
Word ^^^. I consider anything I see on tv, especially news programming, to be entertainment.

t-dub,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Guys, what I am stating is true. I am careful, and I do my own checking. Not all the news says are lies. :) Oh, this new police chief (who resigned today, for real this time), is now gone, and now it's chief number THREE in less than a year. This chief who just left knew a deputy took some drugs from the evidence room, but said nothing.

The whole department is being investigated by FDLE. Believe me, we know a lot more here where it is happening, and I'm checking things myself too. The Sanford police dept. has been having questionable ethics for a while, way before the Trayvon Martin case. That just seems like the last straw this time with them.

Vicki,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Yeah in the case of the TVM case this is one of those stories where all the news hooplah is based in the bitter truth for once. I usually can't stand to watch most syndicated news channels, I literally just feel insulted by them but this is a story that really does deserve the exposure it's getting, because if we think we have come forward any bit at all, this story is proof otherwise.

On the bright side, Mr. Zimmerman is currently, and will be for the foreseeable future, living and breathing his own personal nightmare. That makes me very happy.

CentiZen,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Yeah in the case of the TVM case this is one of those stories where all the news hooplah is based in the bitter truth for once. I usually can't stand to watch most syndicated news channels, I literally just feel insulted by them but this is a story that really does deserve the exposure it's getting, because if we think we have come forward any bit at all, this story is proof otherwise.

On the bright side, Mr. Zimmerman is currently, and will be for the foreseeable future, living and breathing his own personal nightmare. That makes me very happy.

He'll be doing that in another state, though, since he is in fear of his life, and he has every right to be so!! It is very sad to know how much racism is showing it's ugly head down here. Trayvon Martin's case is just the latest example.

Vicki,

Tea Party

Boro Connoisseur
Yeah he had to step down as all of the race baiters were mad their little gang banger was killed.

911 operators are there to do nothing but distract you. If I was fighting for my life, which Zimmerman was, the last thing I would do is listen to someone who could not properly access the situation.

NBC has already admitted to doctoring the 911 calls to make Zimmerman look racist. seen here http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matthe...reated-fake-zimmerman-recording#ixzz1t4TWurag

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-gr...s-shoddy-editing-zimmerman-call#ixzz1r4q8DJrd

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-oak-park-hate-crime-0426-20120426,0,5195598.story
A teen charged with a hate crime in Oak Park told investigators he beat his victim in anger over the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, according to the Cook County state's attorney office.

Where is Jesse and Al???

What about the black panthers calling for a lynch mob to get Zimmerman? Holder does nothing and Obama Claims if he had a Son He'd look like Trayvon.

We both know that every time a white person does anything to a black person the news is on that like fly's on shit. But when its the other way around which more often than not it is the national media is silent.

4 black people rape and murder a white couple, nothing on tv about it.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-palmdale-hate-crime,0,848811.story - where obama on this one?

Tea Party,

Tea Party

Boro Connoisseur
and race has always been mis-represented in our prison system.

They commit a higher percentage of crime so there is a higher percentage of them locked away.

Their culture lacks family values and an emphasis on how cool it is to be a criminal.

Tea Party,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
I would try to hide a recording device on him. Of course if he gets caught, it will get worse, but if you can get some type of proof, you might be able to change this kids entire life with a million dollar lawsuit.

Edit: makes sense and you're probably right Centizen!

sessnet,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I don't want to sound down on you sess, but any lawyer worth his salt could get that evidence thrown out in 10 seconds flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom