Discontinued Pandora Kit from Purple-Days

Infinite Cosmos

Quantum Foam
...Because you can't have just one

IMG_0024.jpg

Infinite Cosmos,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
lol looks like someone got their camera. I still need to try on that alder. I managed to build another pdp without using the instructions this weekend. The leather turned out better on this one but i ended up re-leathering mine. Cordovan was waaaaaaaay tougher than any of the other leathers. It made me feel like a wuss cutting it but i like how it turned out. Now pics:
2walnut.jpg

Bison bottom
bison.jpg

Cordovan :cool:
cordovan.jpg

Cordovan w/ walnut
angle.jpg

minnesnowta,

Infinite Cosmos

Quantum Foam
Haha that Cardovan looks sick. It looks like some thick leather, total height difference between the two PD's.

Infinite Cosmos,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
yeah mines thicker too. The bison one seemed to fit my hand a bit better but i like the grain in mine more. Im really happy with the cordovan though. i like the contrast with the walnut.

minnesnowta,

Anton

Anthony
Ordered my Pandora kit today, had a change of heart on the wood a little late :uhoh:, but Tom and Pammy were very quick to remedy it! (thanks again for putting up with my indecisiveness guys) It was a toss up but ended up going with the myrtlewood. I'm really looking forward to building the kit and sharing, all the other finished products on here look so good!

Anton,

shantytown007

That Cordovan looks really nice. I was amazed at the difference in feel between the Elk Hide and the Bison (the Elk is very soft, the Bison is hard and sturdy), it looks like the Cordovan is even thicker.

Has anyone tried the salad oil instead of the Buzz butter on their wood/leather? Would love to see some pics if so. Also, with all these dope pictures spread out among the 20+ pages, would be cool if we could consolidate them somehow and label them all with wood and leather- might also help those on the fence decide what to go with. I might try to do it myself on a new Picasa Web or Flickr account, but that also might be stepping on toes- what do you all think- go or no go?

shantytown007,

Plant

GoGo shantytowm007 that's what i was thinking aswel all the difference in wood and leather would be a nice gallery
the yellar lizard i don't like that much not a yellow man it's a bit to bright for me i do like the pontiac green on the spalted maple
i also like the snake leather texture
the cordovan looks very nice but is to smooth
the bison texture is super i realy love it glad i chose it
the bison handles it self wel with the sanding and gets a nice smooth edge

very nice minnesnowta and Infinite Cosmos how fine did you guys go with the sandingpaper on the body
i went al the way down to the 320 tom gave me but had some 400 laying around to make it extra smooth

Plant,

Purple-Days

I'll have to gather up pics and put them on a Pandora Customer Pictures page so folks can all show them off in one spot where it makes sense (for customer not familiar with FC) to look.

Yep, the Cordovan is nice but just too damn tough to cut. I removed it from the choices. Crap you could armor a Bradley with this stuff.

edit: http://purple-days.com/PandoraCustomerPhotos.html
There, you can all see them in one spot. I'll add more as I find them, I know a few were sent in for us to use. But I'll have to dig for them...

Purple-Days,

CompassRosie

hippie hausfrau
I like the thought of mine looking like a normal PD until you look at the bottom and laugh.

Mel Brooks said once (in the director's commentary for the original The Producers) that yellow is the funniest color. :D

CompassRosie,

blessoill

OK! Got mine today and assembled it! Tested to see if it was warming...Check! glued leather waiting!

blessoill,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
Alright.. Well I'm going to attempt to explain something without sounding crazy.

I got my PD in April, it's a alder with elk hide leather. I must say this is one of the best vapes around for my needs and many others. The wood looks absolutly amazing after almost a whole tin of butter.. Ill probably get some pictures up sometime tomorrow.

So as I was saying, I may sound a tad crazy.. About a week after i got my PD, I got so distracted with it that I stopped comming to the forums.. I'm not sure why, maybe because I was so satisfied with the PD that I didn't care to much about any other vapes for a bit... I don't know but I think it's pretty strange.

Yeah, maybe it's not crazy but the PD is such a great vape. I'm pretty vaked off the pandora and havin a good time. Thanks again Tom for a top notch vape. :ko:

HighSti,

Purple-Days

HighSti, glad to hear you are enjoying. :)

If you run out of Buzz-Butter :buzz: you can make your own. Most sewing shops carry small sticks (1oz.) of beeswax for slicking thread (works great). And everybody has some sort of salad oil* in the kitchen. Use about 50/50 ratio and make some up. :2c:

* BTW we use Organic Flax Oil, Organic Hemp Oil and Organic Coconut oil in our formula, but you don't have to. Just use a good food grade cooking or salad oil. Don't use petroleum distillates, please ! :rolleyes:

Purple-Days,

Plant

i found a second can of Buzz-Butter in de box i was emptying the box and it fell out
nice cuzz the first tin is almost finnished :)

Plant,

blessoill

Build was real easy! Thought it would be lighter colored wood for the myrtle though. Mine looks real reddish, Anyhow it's a great little vape! Will get some pics up soon.

blessoill,

blessoill

After looking at the pics on page 18 i'm not so sure i have a Myrtle one. No biggie really but what kind of wood do you think that is?

blessoill,

hereatlast

I just received my second kit in the mail, unfortunately like Durden this one is heading to a sibling. Actually I know that this kit will make a great gift as its not just bought but put together. I'm gonna do the whole build but leave the buzz-buttering for them as that was a very satisfying and redeeming process. In any case I'm looking forward to building this second one this weekend but know it'll be hard to let go.

With this second Alder body I'm more able to appreciate the uniqueness of each piece of wood. My brother didn't want to get into the choosing game so I went ahead and got the Alder and Elk-Hide.

I'll have to branch out a little for my second build, I'll keep my eye's open for wood updates :cool:

hereatlast,

blessoill

Thanks. Not unhappy.... Maybe a little disappointed that's all. I was building it and kept looking at the body like man this thing is darker than i imagined! Lol. Maybe i'll try to sell it and get a myrtle one (they look so beautiful). Just the wait again would kill me!!!

blessoill,

Purple-Days

Durden asks, "Where does the Maple fall into the mix for temp?"

The following is a best guess of the heat retention of the various woods we use. All fall within the vapor zone and top to bottom are probably no more than 5 degrees F apart .

Warmest
Alder
Cherry
Black Walnut - plain (figured Black Walnut is not available at this time, we have some curing)
Maple - figured (not available at this time, we have some curing)
Myrtle
Ash (Black Mesquite when cured should be about the same)
Coolest

Of course wood varies from tree to tree and some of these positions on the list may be off by one slot depending on that variation. ie. Maple and Myrtle may swap position or Maple and Walnut may swap depending on the tree, but Alder and Ash are gonna be the upper and lower limits.

We tell everyone it's 3-4 weeks between order and ship dates, we have been on track with that since the beginning. It may seem longer, but it's not. ;) And if anybody get's something that's not right, speak up, please, don't build it and then decide you should have sent us an e-mail. I don't have a way-back machine.

Purple-Days,
Top Bottom