Opinion on a press I found on ebay

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I say they are proof that pretty sells. That is a 5 ton press. How can it possibly compare to an Elysian, Daxtractor or really any well built 20 ton press for that kind of money?

You would be surprised at how good those pure pressure pneumatic units are. Bubble man squishes pounds of cannabis on these units in a day. These commercial units are several steps above professional grade.

Baron23

I say they are proof that pretty sells. That is a 5 ton press. How can it possibly compare to an Elysian, Daxtractor or really any well built 20 ton press for that kind of money?

well, from their site:

8 tons of pressure (15,300 lbf @ 140 psi compressed air) output from our custom fabricated, oil-less, maintenance-free pneumatic cylinder
But also, wrt to max pressure, how much do you need and how much can be effectively applied.

Then there is the issue that none of these press companies do much to define wtf they mean when they say, for example, 20 tons of pressure. Is that 20 tons/psi at the head end of the pump? what the heck does it really mean

It ain't 20 tons/psi all over the surface of the plate, right. If we distribute the pressure across a large plate the lbs/psi of course will be lower, correct?

Then, we insert our load with has some surface area so now is the head pressure only being applied to to that smaller surface and has lbs(or tons)/psi gone back up.

I know some folks who think most people put way too much pressure on their loads and I'm pretty certain that nobody with a HF 20 ton press is really putting 20 tons on the payload.

Please don't get me wrong, I have no dog in the Pure Pressure fight....don't own one, don't plan to buy one for home use (LOL), and have had no interactions with them. Just thought I would throw their name into the hat on commercial presses.

But I still think there is little to no clarity (or at least no clarity between my two ears) about what these pressure specs really mean.

Cheers

P.S. - oh, ok...I see the other version is 5 ton. Thought this from their FAQ might be interesting:

Q- Do your rosin presses provide enough pressure?

A - Yes, because we believe making the highest quality rosin has more to do with finesse than brute force.

Our custom USA fabricated oil-less, maintenance-free pneumatic cylinders offer the perfect amount of force for pressing rosin. Not only that but when used with clean, dry compressed air their lifespans are measured in the millions of presses.

Efficiently utilizing either 8 tons (16,000 lb / f) of force with the Longs Peak or 5 tons (10,000 lb / f) of force with Pikes Peak V2, both of our premium rosin presses offer incredible reliability AND even pressure distribution. Even better, with our Pressware technology, it automatically calculates the pressure at the bag for you!

Through extensive testing we have discovered that extremely high pressure pressure does not equate to significantly higher yields, and furthermore, excess pressure only serves to push undesirable material (such as lipids and inert organic particles) into your rosin, thus reducing its quality.

Bag_Pressure_vs_Yield_Rev_B_grande_3867bdde-6c56-4438-af6a-c30c5edf2290.png

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
You have to calculate the PSI yourself. Total tonnage / surface area of puck = PSI. For example, I am using about 3 tons of pressure on my 1-7/8" round pucks, so thats 6000 lbs of pressure / 2.76 sq/in surface area = 2173.91 PSI

I've noticed the parchment starts to really struggle with it's integrity using bottle tech and filters around 2300-2400 PSI, the paper will begin to rip and your first layer of parchment is now completely compromised.

I like to keep my PSI under 2200 when using bottle tech to avoid that issue. Obviously, a gauge is needed to discover all of this, you have to do as @invertedisdead and learn to be gentle and where the pressure feels right. Overall I am not convinced that max pressure is needed, but I do it because I have a gauge and know where the PSI is at.

Baron23

You have to calculate the PSI yourself. Total tonnage / surface area of puck = PSI. For example, I am using about 3 tons of pressure on my 1-7/8" round pucks, so thats 6000 lbs of pressure / 2.76 sq/in surface area = 2173.91 PSI

I've noticed the parchment starts to really struggle with it's integrity using bottle tech and filters around 2300-2400 PSI, the paper will begin to rip and your first layer of parchment is now completely compromised.

I like to keep my PSI under 2200 when using bottle tech to avoid that issue. Obviously, a gauge is needed to discover all of this, you have to do as @invertedisdead and learn to be gentle and where the pressure feels right. Overall I am not convinced that max pressure is needed, but I do it because I have a gauge and know where the PSI is at.
Exactly. That's why all of these "20 ton" specs etc seem kind of meaningless to me.

Like I said, I have no personal interest in Pure Pressure but do think its keen that they state that they determine and display actual pressure on the payload rather than just head pressure on the pump.

I'm going to look at a press next month a friend wants to sell...higher end press for sure but I think his wife wants it out of the house. It does have a pressure gauge, its a "20 ton" pump and frame can handle that, but like yourself I expect to not need anything like that level of press on the actual product and it might be fun finding the sweet spot...or frustrating depending on how medicated I am! LOL

Thanks....that's really the way I saw it also. Stated specs are psi of head pressure out of the pump and not what you are putting on (or want to put on) your load.

Cheers

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
The way pure pressure figures everything out is with manually or pre-programmed settings, so it already knows the puck size, the calculations are easy. If you gave no input to the machine I think it would be lost?

Pressing blind is no issue, you can quickly figure out the PSI "ballpark" and for home consumers that is likely good enough.

Most of us were using hair straighteners at one point in time, the only reason to go bigger was for better yields (more pressure!) and more surface area.

All the high tech stuff is great, but it's expensive. Gotta just decide what YOU want and go from there. I love my 10-ton unit with oversized 3x7" plates. Way more than this guy needs, but I got friends who cultivate and stop over for presses so it's nice to be able to help out your community and not fall short when a lot is on the line :2c:

EDIT: This is a big part of why I personally use filters, the puck size is consistent. I always know my PSI assuming the filter doesn't rip (this is where learning how much pressure is suitable for your pressing is helpful). 95% of the time the pucks are 1-7/8" round diameter.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

The hydraulic presses are fun cause you get to be gentle with it and watch it flow versus the hair straightener days of cranking down on it as hard as possible!

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
The hydraulic presses are fun cause you get to be gentle with it and watch it flow versus the hair straightener days of cranking down on it as hard as possible!

You can feel the flow in the pump/jack handles too! At a certain point that "melting off" feeling stops, that's when yer about maxed out! You always crack me up talking about slot machine dabs :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Baron23

You would be surprised at how good those pure pressure pneumatic units are. Bubble man squishes pounds of cannabis on these units in a day. These commercial units are several steps above professional grade.

Oh, by the by....I really liked that Bubbleman vid. I don't watch a lot of vids...too time consuming to me. But I did like that one and he certainly did make that Pure Pressure rig hum.

Now, when he set humidity on the press, I assume this is the moisture content of the flower and not ambient RH. Or am I wrong about that?

Now attack me!

Why would we do that??

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Now, when he set humidity on the press, I assume this is the moisture content of the flower and not ambient RH. Or am I wrong about that?

Correct, I have no idea what that does to their calculations, but I would love to know!

psychonaut,
Reactions: shredder

slozukimc

So I have been thinking about this press idea and then the mention of the Slug 33 came about. Now the MacGuyver in me has got a project going for a little fun.

Introducing Project Farmpress....

https://imgur.com/a/Lj1Ut4C

Started out as a 16 ton pipe bender from Harbor Freight. Along with a few pieces I have laying around I have the makings of a primitive torch or oven heated press for some small runs. I even have Bakelite board to insulate the hot parts.

What do ya think?

Suggestions welcome.

Edit: Nevermind the part about notching the top plate. Going to bolt or weld it to the top and leave it whole so it is stronger.

willsmokealot

hey bros getting this thing together went with a 12 ton press. tried a 6 ton a frame but wouldn't fit my plates n 20 ton was like wtf... so went with the 12 ton and will eventually upgrade to an air 12 ton bottle jack n get a compressor with a gauge.
290908720dcfc1cc855d3d0d046db8f631654133bd2902910e1e04bd5a3ec5194f0d4544.jpg

Last edited:

willsmokealot

Make sure you secure that rosin control box to yer press, those 12-ton floor standing units can tilt a touch and that lil baby can slide off! Don't want to see your beloved dabpress take any casualties ;)
yeah I ended putting it by the floor cross rail was thinking the same. got sad just thinking about it

willsmokealot,
Reactions: shredder

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Got my setup finished for under $200 and it is small enough to fit into a toolbag. You need a torch and at least a 4 inch vise which is included in the $200 dollars that I spent.

Getting very nice yields using the slug33 deuce rosin forge. Runs use exactly 2.2 grams of herb. I think that the fact is acts as a forge it increases pressure inside the forge to be very high. My yields are near 30% with top shelf herb. Two runs with the slug33 deuce and I am set for a week. Spent pucks are hard like poker chips and not sticky at all.

The other great thing about slug33 is there is nothing to break - nothing. You could make rosin in a tent when you go camping. It is a fantastic setup especially for the little guy that can't drop big bucks on some of this stuff. It is just far too expensive for me to justify to cost.

Dollar for dollar and if you can only afford small runs the slug33 is excellent and can scratch your rosin itch.

Now attack me!

:2c:

@steama What did you get for a vice?

BabyFacedFinster,
Reactions: steama

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
hey bros getting this thing together went with a 12 ton press. tried a 6 ton a frame but wouldn't fit my plates n 20 ton was like wtf... so went with the 12 ton and will eventually upgrade to an air 12 ton bottle jack n get a compressor with a gauge.
290908720dcfc1cc855d3d0d046db8f631654133bd2902910e1e04bd5a3ec5194f0d4544.jpg

This is the kinda frame I have, from ebay. To be absolutely honest, I went for the cheapest thing I could possibly find, and ended up with a 20 ton press. Mines ok, but its a bit wonky and could do with a bit of work to get things a bit more level. I got what I paid for, but it still extracts like a bastard :)

Does yours have that tiny valve on the front to release the pressure that you need to use the huge handle for? This thing was a marvelous tiny upgrade from NV...

2912-2.jpg

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

Thanks. The videos make it look easy , but from reading on the thread I understand it takes practice to get that "feel" of the heat applied and pressure used.

From what I read, in order to get a good extraction without blowouts you're supposed to only apply the pressure when you feel the heat softening the material inside. So I am imagining that you have a hand on the vice handle and you are keeping a small amount of force on the load and you have a lot of resistance, then when the heat is adequate you will "feel" the material start to give and the pressure on the handle will decrease and that is what tells you to keep turning?

BabyFacedFinster,

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Can't afford the space of a 20 ton unit not even mentioning the price of a complete setup.

It can be done 'on the cheap' (comparatively, much like the response to those Sherbet dabbers in the FP thread, which I wasnt THAT surprised by the price of but others seemed to call them expensive. Its all relative, innit!), but on the cheap is still probably about twice what I think I've seen you quote for your Slug set up. I still have a bunch of upgrades to purchase too. I'm flying blind without a pressure gauge over here :) Main thing tho, was that I wanted to be able to process large amounts in one go. Thats working out nicely. Yeah, needs a bit of space too :)

I think it is very different than using a 20 ton press for sure. The pucks are dry, hard, and not sticky. I always feel confident I am getting what I can out of my material.

Your end result is the same, so not much difference there. And thats what its all about :D

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Room space and affordability were my roadblocks to going large for a 20 ton press.

It was only a matter of time before somebody invented an effective rosin extraction method for the little guy that does not require a 20 ton frame press for high yields. A complete set-up starting at about $150 that actually works very, very, well.

My setup takes up about 2 square feet and everything fits inside a 16 inch tool bag. I can do a run from zero to rosin in under 5 minutes no problem.

:myday:

Have you ever tried a hair straightener?

They work pretty well for 1g squishes.

invertedisdead,
Reactions: elmomuzz

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
slug33 absolutely kills hair straighteners. No comparison. I am done searching the thrift store for hair straighteners.

What do you like about the slug? The slug does seem much more durable for sure which I can appreciate, but juggling the hot slug and waiting for it to cool down to press again seems limiting compared to straighteners where you can instantly reload. I did use a thrift store straightener at first but then went to a $30 Kipozi with solid temperature control for rosin - even down to 170F, and a ~5 second heat up time.

I use a big press now but the quality and yields I got were pretty spot on for small ~1g squishes. But the durability is the weak link for sure with plastic enclosures on hair straighteners. There's some really cheap mods to re-purpose straightener plates in a set of box tubing for a bench vise press, I was tempted to make one of those, though we actually broke a bench vise cranking down on it so hard in an earlier rosin experiment last year! :rofl:

Last edited:
invertedisdead,
Reactions: EmDeemo
Top Bottom