OLD MATE (formerly Medgrind)

BushRanger

Hit It & Quit It
Gonna be almost a year since receiving my OldMate and can't be happier about it. Just cleaned it with iso for the 2nd time, not that it was really needed, more so for the aesthetics.
Ben's bearing press, with the extra bearing and washer tweak works like a charm.
Scraping the bottom part with a wooden spoon feels much better than doing it with metal one.
We could call it Stash Destroyer! :D

Last edited:

delta hotel

I noticed today the magnet in my bottom chamber has flaked or...peeled or something? It looks like the shiny finish is missing on at least 3/4 of it at least, and it's just a dull color. I imagine I can just get another magnet and replace it if I can find the size, but I'm curious how long it was like that and moreso where the flakes went to. Don't have a picture at the moment but I can get one later if needed. I definitely want to keep my bottom because it has the 003/120 FOUNDER'S EDITION on the bottom. I've run it over a year now and I love my OMD, but hoping that flaky coating didn't end up somewhere I'd have run into it.

Has anyone else had any issues with the magnets or is this a non-issue?

4-Aces King-High

Gonna be almost a year since receiving my OldMate and can't be happier about it. Just cleaned it with iso for the 2nd time, not that it was really needed, more so for the aesthetics.
Ben's bearing press, with the extra bearing and washer tweak works like a charm.
Scraping the bottom part with a wooden spoon feels much better than doing it with metal one.
We could call it Stash Destroyer! :D
I’am also Happy with the Aroma3 and have had it for 2-days,I have given two grinders away in those 2 days. The Aroma3 May have cured VAS -For Grinders anyway,lol . Cheers To Everyone.

Razzle_N_Dazzle

I've had it for a little while already but I thought I'd finally post my Aroma-3 here. It initially took a while for me to get it because of the whole *multiple broken laser engravers* fiasco. Ordered December 5th, received February 16th. There was a small miscommunication about the custom top piece so that came a few weeks later, thanks to broken laser #2. Ben sent it out to me quickly once he was able to. He was very communicative throughout the whole thing and was a great person to work with on the order. He even kindly included one of the older colored bearings in my order after I asked about having one. My first reaction to this thing was how heavy it was. It's an absolute unit. It seems like 50% of the mass is just in the top piece. And obviously it shreds whatever I put in it. The teeth are very sharp. An extreme upgrade from the cheap knockoff grinder with material falling off that I was using previously. Besides that, I don't really have much else to say. It's a great product. Bonus points if you can guess where the engraving images are from. Also, the grinder came to me in pristine condition. The marks on it are from usage and travel after I received it.

Here's a cool little video I was sent of the engraving process

Last edited:

gmo67

Stone the flamin' crows, thats me waiting on the Aroma 3, SKF Explorer 608-2RSL Black with lid magnets.:lol:🇦🇺
I would have preferred the bcg if truth be told but cost won in the end .
I hope i never buy another grinder now :lol:

Last edited:

DanksideoftheG

Existence is pain
I've had it for a little while already but I thought I'd finally post my Aroma-3 here. It initially took a while for me to get it because of the whole *multiple broken laser engravers* fiasco. Ordered December 5th, received February 16th. There was a small miscommunication about the custom top piece so that came a few weeks later, thanks to broken laser #2. Ben sent it out to me quickly once he was able to. He was very communicative throughout the whole thing and was a great person to work with on the order. He even kindly included one of the older colored bearings in my order after I asked about having one. My first reaction to this thing was how heavy it was. It's an absolute unit. It seems like 50% of the mass is just in the top piece. And obviously it shreds whatever I put in it. The teeth are very sharp. An extreme upgrade from the cheap knockoff grinder with material falling off that I was using previously. Besides that, I don't really have much else to say. It's a great product. Bonus points if you can guess where the engraving images are from. Also, the grinder came to me in pristine condition. The marks on it are from usage and travel after I received it.

Here's a cool little video I was sent of the engraving process

Is that base the erdtree symbol from elden ring? 🤣

Ah the other one is the fire giants incantations

They're awesome!!

Razzle_N_Dazzle

Is that base the erdtree symbol from elden ring? 🤣

Ah the other one is the fire giants incantations

They're awesome!!
Yup, good eye. :tup: It's my favorite game. I felt those symbols fit perfectly here. But to get the giants symbol to physically fit I had to expand the center ring to fit around the center hole. I grabbed a top down image of the grinder from someone else and used that as a guide.

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
PEEK bearing didnt work for me because the inner ring would spin on the center post instead of the ball bearings working.
That's odd?! Must be a slightly different size then?

If you really prefer to use the PEEK i guess you could put a little o-ring on the top part of the center post. If the inner bearing-ring rests on that o-ring it will probably add some friction to hold it steady/make it catch.
I know the small o-rings from the Revolve fit (i actually use one there for different reasons) and these are pretty thin so they don't raise the top plate very much. Or any similar o-rings might work.

DanksideoftheG

Existence is pain
Yup, good eye. :tup: It's my favorite game. I felt those symbols fit perfectly here. But to get the giants symbol to physically fit I had to expand the center ring to fit around the center hole. I grabbed a top down image of the grinder from someone else and used that as a guide.
That's cool! I love the game also.

Arise now, ye tarnished 🧟‍♂️

Yea the herba from your crafting kit will work well in there. just need an ancient somber dragon smithing stone to get the aroma to god slayer level 🤣

Really good job considering it wasn't just plug and play!

Razzle_N_Dazzle

That's cool! I love the game also.

Arise now, ye tarnished 🧟‍♂️

Yea the herba from your crafting kit will work well in there. just need an ancient somber dragon smithing stone to get the aroma to god slayer level 🤣

Really good job considering it wasn't just plug and play!
The Aroma 3 is already maxed. Don't need the ancient dragon stone lol

Razzle_N_Dazzle

Just for fun, here's a pic of the old knockoff grinder I was using that inspired me to get the Aroma-3.

I looked at it closely one day and noticed the black paint/coating falling off right before my eyes. Like, it was actually hanging off of the metal like paint peeling from a wall. I decided then and there that I was going to spend some actual fuckin money to get something nice that I would never have to replace...and that wouldn't disintegrate into mysterious partials that could end up in my lungs.

It's funny to think that getting high and analyzing my grinder led me to this forum during my search for a nice grinder, which led to me getting a Da Buddha Vape, which led to me entering a contest and winning a ball vape. What's gonna come next? :lol:

gmo67

Is the bearing tool an essential?
I’ve ordered an aroma 3 without one , hopefully I can add it on to my order as it hasn’t been sent yet

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
I'm sure you could get by without one, but it really does make maintenance/customization a whole lot easier; great product.
I don't have one (have my OMD for over a year, the tool was not ready then) and like you say: i get by! :D

Changed the bearing a couple of times without any issues so it's not essential but i agree that the tool prabably makes it a lot easier/faster.
I'll probably order one when the XL drops!

moonbaker

I have been playing with the bearing tool and have glued one of the provided washers onto the top side of the handle. So the bottom of the handle has the groove to hold the bearing on removal. And the top with the washer is inverted when you replace the bearing. Looks pretty easy to 3d print.

moonbaker,
Reactions: dimmusp

SteveOG

Just odered the Aroma 3 as a present to Self. To begin with found it hard to get my head around the price. Watching the Youtube videos provided an insight to the process of the grinder's creation. Expensive machinery and time and attention to detail has a cost. This made it easier to bear and now I'm looking forward to it arriving. Probably take a while to get here as the website mention a change of Courier and also the company are the other side of the world.

Bought the gripper and bearing tool. For some strange reason I really like the ability to change the bearings and the spinning aspect of the grinder. So, can anyone recommend the skateboard bearings to use for this if I fancy a change? Bright and fast is the ask.

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
To begin with found it hard to get my head around the price.
Congratulations on a good purchase!! :cool:
This is really a BOCO (BuyOnceCryOnce) piece of equipment.

I mean, it's fairly priced considering the fact that you'll recieve a solid block of beautifully machined stainless steel. Build to last, ergonomic, great teeth design!
More importantly: it just works like a dream! Produces a perfectly fluffy grind!
The implementation of the bearing is still one of my favorite features, it's much more than just a "fun feature", it really elevates the functioning/grinding action. It kinda converts it into a "semi-automatic grinder": once it starts going the weight of the top plate and the bearing "take over" providing a super smooth action!

You'll never NEED to buy another grinder, not saying you won't but that will be a matter of luxury, not neccesity! ;)
You'll be over the moon when you finally hold it/try it!
There will be no regrets, trust me!

For some strange reason I really like the ability to change the bearings and the spinning aspect of the grinder. So, can anyone recommend the skateboard bearings to use for this if I fancy a change? Bright and fast is the ask.
I understand, i have to admit i'm also a sucker for the spinning part... ;)
(Even tho i've had it over a year i still enjoy a long and smooth spin now and again!)

If you want the longest spintime you might want to look into ceramic bearings.
If you want the colors than skateboard stuff will be the best i think.
Can also look into PEEK (have no expierence with those personally)

SteveOG

It's certainly a BOCO :).
I've not had a grinder before. Do you decant the herb from the bottom section into storage, if you don't use it all, or leave it in the grinder? Just wondered about the smell.

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
Do you decant the herb from the bottom section into storage, if you don't use it all, or leave it in the grinder? Just wondered about the smell.

Usually i grind enough to last me thru the day (or more) so i always transfer it to my Reload for storage.
One of my favorite vape accessories tbh so i highly recommend it!
Totally smell proof also!
Link: https://madheaters.co.uk/products/reload

I've not had a grinder before.

Awesome!!
Many people (including myself) went thru a bunch of bad to mediocre grinders before ending up with an OMD. I have retired all my previous grinders since recieving mine.
The OMD is reviewed as one of the top tier quality grinders out there by a lot of people so consider yourself (and your wallet) lucky for starting out with it!

Top Bottom