OLD MATE (formerly Medgrind)

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
Which bearings would be recommended if you want a longer spin?
I bought a (full) ceramic bearing and that spins very long.
When the grinder is very clean and i do my very best it can spin up to 4 minutes, averages around 2 minutes i think

pro's:
- spintime
- can be submerged/cleaned in ISO because there's no grease in them

con's
-ceramic is harder than SS so it could damage the central post when handled/opened/closed rough. I didn't notice any wear (yet) tho.
I know Ben (the "OMD-creator") doesn't carry those because of this possible wear so be advised...
-it's white (mine is open on top, showing the white balls)

Last edited:

R1ng0

I'm not sure when my arrived but I'd just like to say its been a top notch grinder and i really like it so kudos to you Ben and i don't know about you id rather Grease then Ali shavings = Dementia I have your steel Omega and its class no issues whatsoever. Top notch very happy well done :)

El Duderino

The Dude abides.
Like another poster recommended, the yellow shake junt bearings spin really well but also not that long (maybe 30sec) The bearing it comes with I agree doesn't spin too long, but the trade off is that it's totally sealed and very solid. Others can chime in for the longest spinning bearings, but for me the shake junt bearing seems to be quite good for decent spins and solid feel

I bought a (full) ceramic bearing and that spins very long.
When the grinder is very clean and i do my very best it can spin up to 4 minutes, averages around 2 minutes i think

pro's:
- spintime
- can be submerged/cleaned in ISO because they don't have grease in them

con's
-ceramic is harder than SS so it could damage the central post when handled/opened/closed rough. I didn't notice any wear tho.
I know Ben (the "OMD-creator" doesn't carry those because of this possible wear so be advised...)
-it's white (mine is open on top, showing the white balls

Many thanks to you both, very helpful, I appreciate it. Important note regarding the ceramics - thank you.

Since I really don't want to damage my OMD, I'll have to think it that first. Good to know there are many other options and I'm glad I bought the bearing tool along with the grinder.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Many thanks to you both, very helpful, I appreciate it. Important note regarding the ceramics - thank you.

Since I really don't want to damage my OMD, I'll have to think it that first. Good to know there are many other options and I'm glad I bought the bearing tool along with the grinder.
You can also go for a peek bearing. It's not greased like the ceramic ones, and it's softer than the steel of the grinder so it won't damage it. It might have a bit less accuracy but I haven't had any problems

LesPlenty

Company Rep

El Duderino

The Dude abides.

-Squash-

I just have a few comments to make about this grinder after about a months use:
- IT FUCKIN RULES!
- I cannot believe the weight of this holy crap. Fuck a fist full of nickels; with this thing in your hand you can knockout godzilla with one punch
- Grinds to what i would consider a nice medium/sorta large-ish texture is
- This thing is the rolls royce of grinders and i am forever spoiled because of it now
- IT FUCKIN RULES!

maremaresing

- I cannot believe the weight of this holy crap. Fuck a fist full of nickels; with this thing in your hand you can knockout godzilla with one punch

I'm a grown adult and when I took the grinder out of the box the first time I had to fight intrusive thoughts telling me to huck it straight through the living room window. :mental: It calls to me....

But seriously I still have it on my desk and love it and love how everything fits together with a "clink!". Such an amazing grinder seriously. I'm getting perfect grinds and it's so well made I look forward to years and years of use. Buy once cry once indeed, though it's priced super fairly.

Stonedbadger

I just have a few comments to make about this grinder after about a months use:
- IT FUCKIN RULES!
- Grinds to what i would consider a nice medium/sorta large-ish texture is
- This thing is the rolls royce of grinders and i am forever spoiled because of it now
- IT FUCKIN RULES!

Absolutely agree with the above, I have only had mine for a few weeks but fuck its good. I also have the BCG small and large, and well, this wins!!

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Since I got the Old Mate Aroma 3 I’ve rarely used another grinder. I love the weight, the ease of use, the fact I’ve only brushed it clean with a dry brush and it still works as good as the first day I got it. Looking through the graveyard at the threads stuck full of resin, some of which I can’t undo and I’m grateful for the Aroma 3

The graveyard:

I actually got both the Aroma 3 and a Large BCG to use around the same time (with all 3 plates) so there was a few days where I was curious about the plates and grinds and I would make up two grinds of the same herb to try out the grinders side by side and the resultant grind side by side…

In the end the Old Mate Aroma 3 is the grinder I reach for, it has a fluffy grind that’s aerated and perfect for any device.

I have also hit a milestone; 300 grams through the Aroma 3; I thought I would immortalise the moment in video…

My 300th gram..

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I'm not too fond of the way you tap the grinder parts to empty @VapingYogi...metal on metal is never good and the reason for the bearing in the OldMate, a brush like S&B make is good for the job.:2c:
You could do with an ultrasonic cleaner for those old grinders and it also works a treat on the OldMate once it needs cleaning (not often thankfully)

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I'm not too fond of the way you tap the grinder parts to empty @VapingYogi...metal on metal is never good and the reason for the bearing in the OldMate, a brush like S&B make is good for the job.:2c:
You could do with an ultrasonic cleaner for those old grinders and it also works a treat on the OldMate once it needs cleaning (not often thankfully)
old habits die hard I guess
but mate @LesPlenty, I will see if I can break the habit just for you :)

Last edited:

El Duderino

The Dude abides.
I also settled on a PEEK bearing after trying 4 types, good spin times due to ceramic balls and no wear due to the PEEK cage.
I got this one,
:tup:

I just received the bearing that @LesPlenty recommended. Installing it is very easy and it spins definitely much longer than the OG (around 1 minute). The only downside is that it is also much louder but since it’s so much fun to play with I keep it for now. Thanks a lot for the great suggestion! :tup:

Last edited:

El Duderino

The Dude abides.
I got mine yesterday, so freaking sexy! 😍

The only strange thing is that it only spins for 3-4 seconds instead of the minutes that people talk about here.
Any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks

Oh wow, what a beauty! 😍 Congrats!

Regarding the spinning: Just scroll up a little bit here in the thread - I had exactly the same question. There’s nothing wrong and you can change the bearing for one that spins more (see link to aliexpress just above).

Pablo13

I got mine yesterday, so freaking sexy! 😍

The only strange thing is that it only spins for 3-4 seconds instead of the minutes that people talk about here.
Any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks

Looks great! My bearing has definatley loosened up as I've used it, probbably spins twice as long as it did when new. If you want minutes or close then look at a ceramic bearing which will spin for longer, but you'll loose the magnetic element of your lid.

olivianewtonjohn

@LesPlenty Digging the PEEK bearing. Only concern is wear - potential for dust to get into the grinder without knowing. I guess one good way to test is to have a clean grinder and use it on my desk like a fidget spinner and look for wear. I am guess these bad boys are rubbing alcohol friendly?

@dimmusp would it be wrong to buy another grinder with that laser etching (copying you)? Its so beautiful.

@OMD curious why titanium was used for a short time, did it have cons vs SS? Any thoughts on making a SS scoop that matches the curvature of your grinder?

Last edited:

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
curious why titanium was used for a short time, did it have cons vs SS?

Unsure but i thought the titanium version can be available on demand? (Also different grades of SS are possible if requested/available iirc).

Biggest "con" for Ti is the pricetag i think?
It's pretty expensive to make (not just because of the pricier Ti but also because the needed tools (and the wear on those) are more expensive). So the selling price (was mentioned in this thread i think?) is pretty steep...
I'm guessing not that many people are willing or able to spend that much money on a grinder so probably that's the reason for it not being "in stock".
But i still think that if you want one in Ti he can hook you up.

dimmusp

@dimmusp would it be wrong to buy another grinder with that laser etching (copying you)? Its so beautiful.
No problem at all as far as I'm concerned! Just keep in mind that it was really hard for Ben to get it to work. His customer service is unmatched, but I'd totally understand if he decides that engraving complex patterns is too much work.

That said, I hope he gets the hang of it so that he can sell similar grinders to more people with little extra effort. 🙂

Top Bottom