Oil/wax/budder/shatter wich differences?

PPN

Volute of Vapor
The thread title is clear, I live in france where we tell oil for everything like that and i don't understand what is the differences between oil, wax, budder and shatter?

I'm trying to make my own bho and ethanol extraction but i want to know more about oil extraction?

PPN,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
They're different consistencies of concentrate. Shatter looks like glass and it will shatter when you try to break some off. It's usually gold in color and see-through, but darker oil/concentrate can also be shattery. Wax is what you get when you whip oil during the purging process. It looks more like wax and it's easier to scoop a piece off with a dabber. It's also very pungent, but that's because the terpenes are actively oxidizing. Oil is oil obviously, it will be kind of like honey, sticky, it'll string when you try to take a dab off. Budder I'm not quite sure about since I've never seen any, but it's supposed to be a refined form of concentrate, and seems to have tested really really high, wikipedia states that the highest tested sample was 99.6% total cannabinoid content.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Thanks for your reply, if somebody had the method to get good wax or shatter it could help me? when I use some heat to evaporate quickly oil became harder(shatter?!?no?) and I'll try to whip my next batch to try to turn it in wax!

PPN,

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass
If you just leave your shatter over heat for a few hours it will wax up. I bring my shatter up to 125 to 135 degrees F and leave it for a good 4 or 5 hours and it ends up nice dense wax.

Caligula

Maximus
Since we're on this subject, anyone want to clarify as to exactly what "nectar" and "essence" is supposed to be? Place by me has some "barometrically extracted nectar" but at $80/g I've yet to try any. Googling this nets very little information on the process or product. IIRC Harborside in San Fran has a similar medication made with the same process.

Caligula,

SD_haze

Since we're on this subject, anyone want to clarify as to exactly what "nectar" and "essence" is supposed to be? Place by me has some "barometrically extracted nectar" but at $80/g I've yet to try any. Googling this nets very little information on the process or product. IIRC Harborside in San Fran has a similar medication made with the same process.
If they're calling it nectar, it should be made with buds instead of trim or leaves. It's also very likely they're extracting it with a efficient machine instead of just blasting butane through a tube.

If you're using ~7g of topshelf medical buds to make 1g of nectar...$80 isn't that unusual for a quarter of topshelf.

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass
Sweet Jesus is that real? Man I'm glad I'm out of the dispensary/club game...

I wonder what "barometrically extracted" means. A google search came up with nothing.

MileHighLife,
Reactions: Caligula

SD_haze

@SD_haze @MileHighLife

Look under the concentrates section:

https://weedmaps.com/dispensaries/california/south-bay-sd/pgpdiscounters

Also note I typically buy quality wax for about $30 to $40/g (3g for $100 was the weekly deal last time). The high price is why I mentioned this specific stuff. Not going to lie, I'll probably try it.
The original PGP is where I first learned about the nectar. I've only ever bought like 2 total grams of it in my life. And a handful of $5 dabs of it at a dab bar.

It was always smooth, no residue, tasty, and potent.

Then again, I'm sure your "quality" wax at half price isn't half the potency. Was that from a weedmaps club?

SD_haze,
Reactions: Caligula

Caligula

Maximus
The original PGP is where I first learned about the nectar. I've only ever bought like 2 total grams of it in my life. And a handful of $5 dabs of it at a dab bar.

It was always smooth, no residue, tasty, and potent.

Then again, I'm sure your "quality" wax at half price isn't half the potency. Was that from a weedmaps club?

No, it's from a collective that had a brick and mortar dispensary, but as they all did, turned into delivery only. They actually ditched WM before going all delivery for whatever reason.

I can PM you info if you'd like. They will deliver all over the county, and if you like flowers those are always top notch @ $50/eighth. Only drawback is that they typically only have the same six or so strains, and that it's a $100 minimum donation.

Last edited:
Caligula,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Hi guys, thanks to all FC menbers who help me to do my first quality oil batch using a mix of kief and trim.
Before that I just done ethanol kief oil (potent but bad taste and dirty in my attys), abv bho (no yield), ethanol abv oil(the worse) and ethanol reclaim(potent but the taste is bad)...

Yesterday I mixed only 3g of kief (powder) with 5g of trim and filled the rest of the tube with cotton, first half can, evaporate, scrap and purge and get 0.4g of nice oil(I'll try to purge it better and perhapsI'll able to turn it in wax or shatter), second half can give me 0.2-0.3g that l purged better and turn in something like shatter.

If some of my old oil was potent this one is very, very, very, and very potent, I never tried before a Mj extract so powerfull and it's my first try, the future promise me to be really nice

I put one little dab in my Bholt, took 2 big hits trough water and 3 or 4 little ones dry and i was fully medicated at least one hour, like in the past when it was my first blunts and, for the first time with oil the taste was amazing (I think it will be better just with weed)

I thougt that I prefered weed because concentrates here we get are not famous, but this is open a door for me on a new world and I'll play with!

Thanks again for your help (I'll try to post some pics of my results)

Caligula

Maximus
From my understanding, butane carries off more organic and waxy material from the plant which allows it to "wax up" easier when whipped. That being said, alcohol is used to "winterize" concentrates (stripping that waxy material out of the concentrate)

Caligula,
Top Bottom