Nova by Doug's Woodery

RedZep

So just tried the Nova with 10 3mm rubies, as mentioned recently in this thread. My first impression is disappointing. Can't get anywhere near the same huge thick clouds.

I think this mod would be great for people who have not quite mastered their technique, as it makes it harder to combust. Seems to turn the device into a sipper, like a session device. But without balls I can extract a bowl in a single hit.

I'll keep experimenting with technique and see what I can get it to do.

maremaresing

You can extract a full half gram bowl in a single rip without the balls?! No stirring needed?! Show me your ways. :o

Other than that, I find that the balls let you dump heat into the device with impunity, and I use a triple flame torch turned up 1-2 inches. With the balls and hydratube on top, it's like a dab rig for potency, and I can extract a full oven in about 3 rips, without hotspots.

I hate the wood air/vapor path, but I can't deny how wonderfully fun and effective this thing is with the mods.

RedZep

You can extract a full half gram bowl in a single rip without the balls?! No stirring needed?! Show me your ways. :o

Other than that, I find that the balls let you dump heat into the device with impunity, and I use a triple flame torch turned up 1-2 inches. With the balls and hydratube on top, it's like a dab rig for potency, and I can extract a full oven in about 3 rips, without hotspots.

I hate the wood air/vapor path, but I can't deny how wonderfully fun and effective this thing is with the mods.
Fair play, I'm extracting half filled bowls in a hit, not full bowls.

I'll try filling the bowl completely and hitting with balls. I had the bowl half filled when I tried.

I have two Novas, so I'm commited to keeping one ball modded until I feel I can judge it fully. There will be some time of technique adaption I imagine.

JettyRatt

i have found that when using the ball mod on my flip (do not have a nova) it really shines with big torch by fanning the torch across the intake really speeds up the extraction can kill a full bowl in 2-3 hits but with the control of fanning the flame you can sip it if you want. I would think that the same would apply to the Nova

RedZep

i have found that when using the ball mod on my flip (do not have a nova) it really shines with big torch by fanning the torch across the intake really speeds up the extraction can kill a full bowl in 2-3 hits but with the control of fanning the flame you can sip it if you want. I would think that the same would apply to the Nova
I just don't understand why that is impressive. By the time you have vapes a full bowl with modded nova, I could have instantly killed two half bowls, with no stirring without balls.

So the balls are not improving performance. They are acting like a training wheel, for people who struggle with combustion. Kind of like the restrictor disc in the Sticky Bricks.

RedZep,

FlimsyKnuckle

I just don't understand why that is impressive. By the time you have vapes a full bowl with modded nova, I could have instantly killed two half bowls, with no stirring without balls.

So the balls are not improving performance. They are acting like a training wheel, for people who struggle with combustion. Kind of like the restrictor disc in the Sticky Bricks.

I said in my OP about the ruby mod, at worst it is NOVA in easy mode.

My brick fu has never been great. I certainly can’t clear bowls in one hit, nor would I want to.

I see no reason for rubies if your use case relies on open, ruby free airflow and the same torch technique you would use without rubies.

The rubies mute that and make the NOVA a more reliable small/medium hitter. They allow it to take more, direct heat. Bowls last longer. Small and medium hits are more robust. Easier to extract to brown without burning.

That’s not your use case. I cannot fathom how the ruby mod would help you if your goal is to achieve the same results you get without it.

Last edited:

RedZep

I said in my OP about the ruby mod, at worst it is NOVA in easy mode.

My brick fu has never been great. I certainly can’t clear bowls in one hit, nor would I want to.

I see no reason for rubies if your use case relies on open, ruby free airflow and the same torch technique you would use without rubies.

The rubies mute that and make the NOVA a more reliable small/medium hitter. They allow it to take more, direct heat. Bowls last longer. Small and medium hits are more robust. Easier to extract to brown without burning.

That’s not your use case. I cannot fathom how the ruby mod would help you if your goal is to achieve the same results you get without it.
Yeah I'm coming to that conclusion. I think some people would love it. But I'm finding it frustrating. I like my nova hits to be thick lung busters. I don't like using the torch over and over for multiple hits either.

I will say that the hits are tasty with the Rubie's though.

RedZep,

maremaresing

If you've got a flame and technique that's working for ya, by all means keep doing that.

With the mod, use more heat and heat it harder. The ceiling for hot spotting can be found, but I've never seen it without getting greedy with a quad torch turned up.

It spreads the heat energy evenly across the whole oven, more so than stock. So you get better quality rips, more vapor per rip, without needing to babysit anything. Just pedal to the metal flying close to the sun. With glass to cool it down, the Nova becomes a tiny beast.

RedZep

If you've got a flame and technique that's working for ya, by all means keep doing that.

With the mod, use more heat and heat it harder. The ceiling for hot spotting can be found, but I've never seen it without getting greedy with a quad torch turned up.

It spreads the heat energy evenly across the whole oven, more so than stock. So you get better quality rips, more vapor per rip, without needing to babysit anything. Just pedal to the metal flying close to the sun. With glass to cool it down, the Nova becomes a tiny beast.

I'll try turning the torch up. Although I don't like the idea of burning through significantly more fuel.

Can't help but feel I have not explored it enough however, so I will persist.

RedZep,
Top Bottom