Nova by Doug's Woodery

FlimsyKnuckle

Yes. A medium one that I got in a smoke shop. No name brand. Works pretty well with the dome now. Combusted a lot with the shield in the bowl configuration. Much better now.

And a lot of small Vapman torches. Hardly did anything (or combusted) until I flipped the shield to dome shape. Now they work wonders… but I like a slightly larger flame for a slightly bigger hit.

Much harder to combust with either torch now.

FlimsyKnuckle,

364F

Yes. A medium one that I got in a smoke shop. No name brand. Works pretty well with the dome now. Combusted a lot with the bowl.

And a lot of small Vapman torches. Hardly did anything until I flipped the shield to dome shape. Now they work wonders… but I like a slightly larger flame for a slightly bigger hit.

Much harder to combust with either torch now.
I feel that the Nova having such a big bowl wouldn’t work very well with a single torch’s but I’m guessing you are talking about the ones that we use to heat a banger for concentrates? I have one but wouldn’t want to try it in the nova. I have 2 different torch’s one that is double but both flames are angled so it gets into a medium one? And one that is a quad torch but one is not working so it’s a triple now?

I’ll guess that flipping the diffuser with just one should do the trick for you, happy clouding!

364F,

FlimsyKnuckle

I feel that the Nova having such a big bowl wouldn’t work very well with a single torch’s but I’m guessing you are talking about the ones that we use to heat a banger for concentrates? I have one but wouldn’t want to try it in the nova. I have 2 different torch’s one that is double but both flames are angled so it gets into a medium one? And one that is a quad torch but one is not working so it’s a triple now?

I’ll guess that flipping the diffuser with just one should do the trick for you, happy clouding!
Thanks!

I am using small to medium torches. Single torch. Pretty much more direct heat than not.

Never got a multi flame torch working with this in any way I enjoyed in spite of the demo videos.

Again, I am not using a kitchen torch. In fact, the Vapman torches have a remarkably small flame. My medium torch produces a larger single flame than the Vapman torch, but still not kitchen size. Still more of a cigar torch.

FlimsyKnuckle,
Reactions: 364F

FlimsyKnuckle

Awesome to read about peeps having it all click and come together for them.

I love my TM2 and my proxy, but if I'm looking to slap myself into next week I'll reach for my Nova.
Today has been great. Now I am trying my quad torch and it is working wonders.

It did all finally click and now I can use this like I always imagined. And I am thinking of ordering a longer, augmented stem.

FlimsyKnuckle

Update: I now have the diffuser in the bowl configuration. Works with my single and quad torch.

I have taken off the training wheels and I am now using it like a pro. Just needed to figure it out.

Also just bought a new 9” augmented stem and a Top Shelf NOVA because… VAS.

Thanks all for your help. This has moved up the ladder to one of my favorite vapes in the collection and it has been winning my reach test all week.

FlimsyKnuckle

As I continue testing the NOVA I came across something I feel is quite special.

Lee over at Tabletop Bong posted a YouTube video about adding balls to his Sticky Brick and I just so happened to have some extra 3mm rubies lying around. After some experimenting I found 10 to be the magic number but was able to fit up to 21. More and the NOVA wouldn’t fold into closed position.

What I did was add 10 rubies on the restrictor disc, then I placed an extra screen I had for my Mighty on top. Then I placed the NOVA intake tube on to lock everything into place. Before hot, tip the NOVA upside down to make sure no rubies can slip out. You do NOT want these to be able to escape. They get HOT.

Balls don’t make everything better, but in this case, for me, they work wonders and turn my NOVA into an easy mode device. The draw is a little more restricted. The rubies soak the heat and take a few seconds longer to get that first hit. But once heated, performance is fast, and quite similar to without rubies.

I notice it takes more direct heat and is harder to get hot spots, and MUCH easier to keep vaping a bowl to full extraction.

It changes the NOVA’s performance and perhaps reduces the size of some hits. But for me, so far, the extractions are better and the high is a more robust, full spectrum high than without the rubies.

Results so far have been interesting enough to share with y’all and see if anyone wants to try and check my early findings.

The greatest thing about this configuration is it takes MORE direct heat to get your hit while also being harder to combust… so you can just shoot a single torch down the tube without worrying so much about doing a lighter dance with your lighter hand, and without needing to be SO mindful with each hit.

Worst case, it is NOVA easy mode. Best case, it might extract better and give a more full spectrum high. It DEFINITELY changes the vape signature so that might make those first few bowls feel extra good like any NEW vape, so it may take a while to get used to the new feeling hits and to fairly evaluate. I find it often takes 3-5 days to get over that new vape signature euphoria and really evaluate the actual hit as a daily driver.

I wouldn’t share this if I thought it was a mid or lateral upgrade. So far in my testing, this has been well worth the try.

Let me know what y’all think.

For now, my NOVA has balls.

Last edited:

FlimsyKnuckle

@FlimsyKnuckle - Interesting and thank you for sharing this hack, may give it a shot tonight!
I hope you do.

Weed is hard to test because of the mind altering properties so it would be nice to apply some scientific method to this and see if folks can replicate my early findings.

Last edited:
FlimsyKnuckle,

coolbreeze

Lee over at Tabletop Bong posted a YouTube video about adding balls to his Sticky Brick and I just so happened to have some extra 3mm rubies lying around. After some experimenting I found 10 to be the magic number but was able to fit up to 21. More and the NOVA wouldn’t fold into closed position.

What I did was add 10 rubies on the restrictor disc, then I placed an extra screen I had for my Mighty on top. Then I placed the NOVA intake tube on to lock everything into place. Before hot, tip the NOVA upside down to make sure no rubies can slip out. You do NOT want these to be able to escape. They get HOT.

Balls don’t make everything better, but in this case, for me, they work wonders and turn my NOVA into an easy mode device. The draw is a little more restricted. The rubies soak the heat and take a few seconds longer to get that first hit. But once heated, performance is fast, and quite similar to without rubies.

I notice it takes more direct heat and is harder to get hot spots, and MUCH easier to keep vaping a bowl to full extraction.

It changes the NOVA’s performance and perhaps reduces the size of some hits. But for me, so far, the extractions are better and the high is a more robust, full spectrum high than without the rubies.

Results so far have been interesting enough to share with y’all and see if anyone wants to try and check my early findings.

The greatest thing about this configuration is it takes MORE direct heat to get your hit while also being harder to combust… so you can just shoot a single torch down the tube without worrying so much about doing a lighter dance with your lighter hand, and without needing to be SO mindful with each hit.

Worst case, it is NOVA easy mode. Best case, it might extract better and give a more full spectrum high. It DEFINITELY changes the vape signature so that might make those first few bowls feel extra good like any NEW vape, so it may take a while to get used to the new feeling hits and to fairly evaluate. I find it often takes 3-5 days to get over that new vape signature euphoria and really evaluate the actual hit as a daily driver.

I wouldn’t share this if I thought it was a mid or lateral upgrade. So far in my testing, this has been well worth the try.

It's a great idea. The Kalu Infinity uses a handful of balls between pinches in the intake to slow and turbulate the heated air, really works well:

FlimsyKnuckle

It's a great idea. The Kalu Infinity uses a handful of balls between pinches in the intake to slow and turbulate the heated air, really works well:
What a collection you have! Amazing glass pieces.

FlimsyKnuckle,
  • Love
Reactions: coolbreeze

364F

Ok I just tried this. Just one bowl a little bit more than the screen, coarsed material. Like you said there’s a lag in the first hit and it minimize to almost 0 the possibility of hotspoting without any need of technique.

What I noticed is that the vapor is more reduced compared without the rubies but it hits different too? Like the signature changed a lot, not in a bad way.

So yeah I can see using this mod with newbies or when I want to change the signature of the vape, excellent trick, thanks for sharing!

I’ll try a bowl with a different torch and different loads next time and we’ll keep experimenting.

FlimsyKnuckle

Excellent!

It is really stunning how much the vape signature changes. Like, you go in expecting the old reliable NOVA high and it delivers something quite different, but also quite rewarding and full spectrum. It is like hitting a completely different vape and getting that different high that comes with one.

What I really notice is the later hits extract to a consistently darker AVB rather than the salt and pepper coloration (and more sour smelling) AVB from a non ruby bowl.

Also, in trying to reuse my AVB from prior bowls from the NOVA, before adding rubies, I was able to extract MORE without burning it or almost burning (we all know THAT flavor of almost burned bud). And that AVB would burn or almost burn quite easily before. This is evidence I get better, fuller extractions with the rubies.

I get more late bowl hits this way before it tastes off and I decide to throw it in the jar.

The hits ARE a little smaller, at least until you learn the new timing and technique. I have had some gloriously big hits but still haven’t hammered that down to a point where I get consistent results.

TLDR: I get higher from a BOWL this way, but I get higher per hit the old way. If that makes sense.

Last edited:

3PuttMutt

Weed is hard to test because of the mind altering properties

I’ve been using CBD flower to dial in my technique. I’m a newbie to brick vapes, so it’s been crucial to actually remembering what works.

A question for the knowledgeable: is the Nova bowl bigger than other bricks? It seems like it would take at least .2g to cover the entire screen as suggested. Thats a good sized bowl for me and sometimes I like smaller. Should I count on using another format for smaller/shorter sessions?

coolbreeze

I’ve been using CBD flower to dial in my technique. I’m a newbie to brick vapes, so it’s been crucial to actually remembering what works.

A question for the knowledgeable: is the Nova bowl bigger than other bricks? It seems like it would take at least .2g to cover the entire screen as suggested. Thats a good sized bowl for me and sometimes I like smaller. Should I count on using another format for smaller/shorter sessions?
The Nova bowl is about normal. The DLXs, the Flip Brick, and the Dynabox Tetra Hydro have smaller diameter bowls with the Tetra Hydro the smallest requiring less herbs to cover the screen. You could contact Joel at Dreamwood and see if they will make you a DLX One, which is a bong vape based on the 18mm male joint with basket screen for the bowl.

Otherwise, Dynavap, Vapman, Magicstone, and most logs can do very small amounts effectively.

FlimsyKnuckle

It is a large bowl best used for small to mid loads. A full bowl will burn most easily and could ruin more product. .075 - .2 is the most I typically seem to load. Eyeballing here.

The bowl is shaped very much like a ball vape shovelhead bowl, and like a shovelhead, it works best when filled no more than 50%.

You do get more surface area if you cover the whole screen but really, just the middle, over the airpath needs to be covered to get great hits.

Last edited:

TangibleHangnail

Can the Nova be used upside down? I have a mouthpiece that's a WPA that I want to try in a glass piece. I have a Link but this will be simpler if it works.

TangibleHangnail,

364F

Can the Nova be used upside down? I have a mouthpiece that's a WPA that I want to try in a glass piece. I have a Link but this will be simpler if it works.
You’ll need to put a screen on top of the material so it doesn’t fell thru the flame intake glass.

364F,

maremaresing

Max bowl capacity and optimal capacity are different on lots of vapes. Same for desktop ball vapes, they can vape 0.5g bowls but most people pack it half full.

If you are determined to fill the bowl to capacity then you either except that's a lot of terps to smack you in the face through a couple inches of glass and learn to love it, or use larger glass mp or WPA with bong. Infact you might look into the Cosmo (or similar) which is a Nova that just attached to a bong. Or you could take smaller hits. I prefer packing less and killing the bowl in a single hit.
You were correct, I think it was the terps. I pulled out some old poorly stored CBD shake that I keep around for cooking, and put that in. Great flavor but no throat issues. So I'll have to learn to love it, or rig a WPA to add glass. I have something around here that will fit once I cut and grind the glass down to size.

What type of wood? I have a rosewood brick I can't use because I'm sensitive to the wood, sounds like what happens to you. Other bricks don't bother me at all.
Maple! I really wish these could have a non wood airpath, though.

I've been enjoying my NOVA since pulling it out of storage over the weekend. It's fun to use and does deliver massive rips.

But this?

THIS.

THIS should be in the OP. THIS should be how it comes from Dougs. Oh my GOD.

Bravo. I had some steel 3mm balls around and I tossed 10 in, with a screen on top, as you instructed. Wasn't sure how it would go, and I loaded the oven up to full capacity. All the way up to the brim, which gives me serious hot spotting and requires a stir and careful heat every time.

Now, I doubt I even need to stir, as I get a uniform toast across and through the entire load. No singe, no hot spots, and I don't have to feather the torch on and off the intake. I'd even say that my throat discomfort is less, and the vapor is cooler. Probably because a single hot jet isn't passing through part of the oven and sending wasted heat into my lungs. Now, it gets everywhere in there, before coming to me.

And the effects!!! Even on the old shake I'm using, I'm getting a more complete and hearty spectrum that is very medicating.

Really glad I never got rid of the NOVA, because now it's a SUPERNOVA. :luv:

Smokeythebeatle

Has anybody tried using dosing capsules on the Nova? I figured that they would massively help in keeping the Nova clean and add a element of conduction to the flower.

Vgoodiez has these capsules in steel or titanium made for the S&B vapes. I figured they could fit in the Nova bowl. I just wonder how the performance would be. Leaving the capsule uncapped could also be an option if they are to restrictive. Has anyone tried something like this?

Smokeythebeatle,

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
Has anybody tried using dosing capsules on the Nova? I figured that they would massively help in keeping the Nova clean and add a element of conduction to the flower.

Vgoodiez has these capsules in steel or titanium made for the S&B vapes. I figured they could fit in the Nova bowl. I just wonder how the performance would be. Leaving the capsule uncapped could also be an option if they are to restrictive. Has anyone tried something like this?
I use these with my junior ... work great

Post in thread 'Sticky Brick Labs Vaporizer' https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/sticky-brick-labs-vaporizer.21661/post-1641904

NYC_Frank,

Seantagon

Hey do you think you could post a couple pics of this set up please? I'm looking to pick up a Nova soon so I want to be prepared.

Seantagon,

dapatcho

Someone on reddit threw a Terpcicle into a Link. As someone having trouble with their Nova and with a Terpcicle inbound, I will be giving this a go.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vaporents/comments/1b3go40
e2d2jxpucmlc1.jpeg

Top Bottom