Nickel and the safety of the Lotus

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
It’s nickel all the way through. Any vaporization would presumably begin at the hottest point where the flame hits the cap. The underside would be cooler because of the interfacing stream of air stealing the heat.

Use a small single flame torch and don’t preheat excessively if it’s still a concern. Or go with another style of vape entirely— plenty of other good options out there.

This is not to be dismissive or patronizing. I don’t think people worry enough about the sequential chain of explosions they set off when they drive, but statistically, it’s likelier to be someone else’s car that kills you.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
It’s nickel all the way through. Any vaporization would presumably begin at the hottest point where the flame hits the cap. The underside would be cooler because of the interfacing stream of air stealing the heat.

Use a small single flame torch and don’t preheat excessively if it’s still a concern. Or go with another style of vape entirely— plenty of other good options out there.

This is not to be dismissive or patronizing. I don’t think people are concerned enough about the sequential chain of explosions they set off every time they drive, but at the end of the day, it’s likelier to be someone else’s car that kills you.
… so what you’re saying is someone else’s Vape is going to be the cause of my death? :freak:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
If one is concern about not breathing nickel ,better hold your breath while you are using your hairdrier or space heater.lol... For a fact people were using hot air guns with glowing nichrome elements,not saying i would do it,but to my knowledge no one died from it .
cpKB21W6Xw2hQZRZ.medium

Spj3k1

No, I’m thinking the secondhand smoke from Europeans still rolling up hash with tobacco. 😉
Word! Vaping hash has become a passion project as I more or less grew up on hash spliffs. It will be cool to test the lotus!

You did not come out patronizing at all, I appreciate the time and replies. For some reason people think I inheritly believe the Lotus will kill you. I have one on the way, and I am just curious to what people think.

Now I know.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Word! Vaping hash has become a passion project as I more or less grew up on hash spliffs. It will be cool to test the lotus!

You did not come out pstronizing at all, I appreciate the time and replies. For some reason people think I inheritly believe the Lotus will kill you. I have one on the way, and I am just curious to what people think.

Now I know.
Little bit off topic ,but you should try the Vaponic with the resin filter ,a.k.a pancake method. It is the best vape to appreciate pure solids,second best is vapman :)

Spj3k1

Little bit off topic ,but you should try the Vaponic with the resin filter ,a.k.a pancake method. It is the best vape to appreciate pure solids,second best is vapman :)

Yeah, the Vaponic is definately on top of my list. Lately I have been using the tasty tube with the best results I have ever had. Gets messy quick tho.

Spj3k1,

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
I was concerned too. That's why I had it tested.
Here are the test conditions:

Code:
Target Temperature, TC1    Actual Temperature                   Time of Test
400F                         390 - 425F                          10 minutes
450F                         450-465F                            5 minutes

Orange hot spot on vaporizer    3/16" diameter minimum,    5 x 10 sec, 50 sec total
625F maximum observed temperature
Temp was measured in the middle of the bowl.

The test result, .051 micrograms total for all 3 conditions, will be on http://www.lotusvaporizer.com/ soon. The file was too big to upload to the forum.
We breathe in .1-1 micrograms of nickel/day, which is why I am not concerned with a test result of .051 mcg. Notice the extreme test temps (vaporization occurs at 350-375F).
I just ran another test at typical operating conditions instead of the extreme of the above test. I'll post those results when I get them.

[URL='http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/best-of-the-lotus-vaporizer-thread.16733/'] [/URL]
Expand the above quote ☝️
That's from the Lotus Thread back from 2010 re the test results.

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
I don’t think people worry enough about the sequential chain of explosions they set off when they drive

Worry??? I adore this fact! I envision myself 30 years from now telling a generation who has grown up with only electric propulsion that I used so sit astride and explosion generator with one massive hunk of metal moving at 10,000 rpm pointed directly at my manhood. It’s fascinating when you consider it as a bygone tech.

Spj3k1

Expand the above quote ☝️
That's from the Lotus Thread back from 2010 re the test results.

This is awesome! Did you find them through the searches or what? I was not able to find this.

So wheres the facts at then, big man?

Here are some facts. Not procured by me, but still facts I wanted.

Best wishes, Big Man.

Last edited:

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
This is awesome! Did you find them through the serarches or what? I was not able to find this.
Yep. Just used the 'search forums' tab and searched for the keywords 'lotus' and 'nickel' in all threads. It came up with only 7 pages of results and so I went for the earliest ones from the Lotus thread.

Lotus also had the lab protocols listed on their original website's FAQ section but sadly, Wayback Machine did not conserve those links.

Spj3k1

Yep. Just used the 'search forums' tab and searched for the keywords 'lotus' and 'nickel' in all threads. It came up with only 7 pages of results and so I went for the earliest ones from the Lotus thread.

Lotus also had the lab protocols listed on their original website's FAQ section but sadly, Wayback Machine did not conserve those links.
Ok, my levels of skills here is pretty low. Must have overlooked it.

Spj3k1,

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Ok, my levels of skills here is pretty low. Must have overlooked it.
So what you think?

I think it looks safe to me… at least the Nickel part 😉

I saw a part in the thread where one of the inner rings had acquired some rust on someone’s device and the recommendation was to sand it off 😂

that’ll get the metal dust crowd going 👀

Arawfish,

Spj3k1

So what you think?

I think it looks safe to me… at least the Nickel part 😉

I saw a part in the thread where one of the inner rings had acquired some rust on someone’s device and the recommendation was to sand it off 😂

that’ll get the metal dust crowd going 👀
I agree, seems pretty safe (as I expected).

I would however like to see the tests with lower, actual vaping temperatures and see what the results were there.

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
I agree, seems pretty safe (as I expected).

I would however like to see the tests with lower, actual vaping temperatures and see what the results were there.
As the original Lotus' creator @Max Jitter is still alive & well and active on FC, just send him a DM and ask him 😁🤷‍♂️
He should have all the info you want.

blokenoname,
Reactions: Spj3k1

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Worry??? I adore this fact! I envision myself 30 years from now telling a generation who has grown up with only electric propulsion that I used so sit astride and explosion generator with one massive hunk of metal moving at 10,000 rpm pointed directly at my manhood. It’s fascinating when you consider it as a bygone tech.

The electric car was invented long before the gasoline powered automobile :brow:

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
And diesel was originally bio-diesel afaik.... fuck combustion! but electric cars will need nuclear power eventually ! :freak:

Haze Mister,

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
Does this mean I need to quit sucking on my wife’s replacement knee? Purty sure it has nickel in it.

Canna Chameleon,
Top Bottom