Nickel and the safety of the Lotus

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Over Your Head Dodge GIF by Jeremy Speed Schwartz

Never mind. Carry on...

AssistedLiving

Again, the vape is being re-released. It must be ok to ask the question again then without people loosing it.

And these threads are full of internet drama, and very little facts. If it annoys you to think about this. Don't partake.

Everyone here is concerned with the safest, healthiest way to vaporize cannabis, and no matter what, it's much safer than cumbustion,

googling "Lotus" "nickel" "vape" returns FC threads from 2010

Fuck Combustion
https://fuckcombustion.com › ... › Portable Vaporizers

Sep 24, 2010 — The Lotus is made of maple, stainless steel, nickel and hard ... If it is discolored permanently, about how many vape sessions did it take ...
Best of the Lotus Vaporizer thread
Sep 24, 2010
Discontinued - The Lotus Vaporizer | Page 303
Feb 25, 2021
Discontinued - The Lotus Vaporizer | Page 261
Sep 8, 2016
Butane purity in direct airpath butane vapes? - Fuck Combustion
Sep 30, 2016
More results from fuckcombustion.com

Spj3k1

Everyone here is concerned with the safest, healthiest way to vaporize cannabis, and no matter what, it's much safer than cumbustion,

googling "Lotus" "nickel" "vape" returns FC threads from 2010

Fuck Combustion
https://fuckcombustion.com › ... › Portable Vaporizers

Sep 24, 2010 — The Lotus is made of maple, stainless steel, nickel and hard ... If it is discolored permanently, about how many vape sessions did it take ...
Best of the Lotus Vaporizer thread
Sep 24, 2010
Discontinued - The Lotus Vaporizer | Page 303
Feb 25, 2021
Discontinued - The Lotus Vaporizer | Page 261
Sep 8, 2016
Butane purity in direct airpath butane vapes? - Fuck Combustion
Sep 30, 2016
More results from fuckcombustion.com
Thanks. I have been vaping for 10+ years. I have no problem ubdertanding this.

People seem to think I am looking to pick a fight, I am looking for data and knowledge. These old threads contain very little valuable info, a lot of shit stirring and wild speculation. My poi t is we are trusting out health 100% with all these makers, and when ever this comes up, there is a bunch of people who obviously don't want to hear about it. But as we can see there are also people who want this to be discussed, without it turning into all this screaming and shouting.

What we know now is that the lotus was lab tested for heavy metal, but scavengenig the threads I cannot find anything being public which is a shame. This should be easily available for anyone interested.

Last edited:

Spj3k1

Nice rage-quit.

In both this thread and the lotus thread, I saw no one getting upset but you.

Have fun out there. I hope that you find the answers that you are looking for :wave:
Nice rage-quit.

In both this thread and the lotus thread, I saw no one getting upset but you.

Have fun out there. I hope that you find the answers that you are looking for :wave:
Heh. You kind of prove my point. No rage here whatsover.

I sincerely hope you have a good day.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Again, the vape is being re-released. It must be ok to ask the question again then without people loosing it.

And these threads are full of internet drama, and very little facts. If it annoys you to think about this. Don't partake.
So wheres the facts at then, big man?

Spj3k1

"Big man"?

Again, you seem to take everything I say in the worst intention. As you yourself pointed out there are very little facts. The only specific data seems to be only in reference. Maybe I am formulating myself in a bad way, since english is not my first language.

As I have said, I was not aware that this had become such a sore spot here on this forum. I am sorry if I stirred up anything. I do not have time for this on my life so I am backing down. If I find any facts I will be happy to share them with you. That's it for me. Have a nice day.

Spj3k1

You can safely ignore anyone who is not a moderator. :)

For some reason discussions on material safety are not allowed in product threads. I am not sure what that reason is. They are certainly allowed elsewhere in the forum as far as I know....
It makes sense to me seeing how this evolved. It will just flood the threads. I put my hand in a hornets nest.

Last edited:

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
I can understand the sentiment of wanting people to search for results in old threads, but I think to @Spj3k1’s point it isn’t as easy to find info here in several hundred page long threads as some of you claim (especially if you weren’t around for the original discussion to remember that some random result will eventually take you were you want). A couple of you are just straight up acting like dicks, and you know it. There is a polite way to tell someone that you don’t have the data and you aren’t interested in the conversation without that data—one very simple option you seem to forget is to just not respond 🤷‍♂️

Unfortunately I also agree that fc doesn’t usually seem as interested in vape safety as some users claim to be with the harm reduction angle. A lot of people here are more interested in whatever the latest fotm is. Sorry you are learning this from passive aggressive assholes @Spj3k1.

Orvaxxx

I can understand the sentiment of wanting people to search for results in old threads, but I think to @Spj3k1’s point it isn’t as easy to find info here in several hundred page long threads as some of you claim (especially if you weren’t around for the original discussion to remember that some random result will eventually take you were you want). A couple of you are just straight up acting like dicks, and you know it. There is a polite way to tell someone that you don’t have the data and you aren’t interested in the conversation without that data—one very simple option you seem to forget is to just not respond 🤷‍♂️

Unfortunately I also agree that fc doesn’t usually seem as interested in vape safety as some users claim to be with the harm reduction angle. A lot of people here are more interested in whatever the latest fotm is. Sorry you are learning this from passive aggressive assholes @Spj3k1.
I have noticed this too, i asked a question and some guy reacted in a belittling way, what was unnecessary, really got me heated.
Looks like these are the same person(s) doing this.

Spj3k1

No worries. I am a grown man and have been in this game for a long time, so these things matter little to me. It's just sad, because we are all in it for the same reasons of safer consumption. But when people start with the belitteling and throw out accusaitions of quackery and whatnot I have no interest in further discussion.

That behaviour is straight up pedantic. But then again, this is 2023 and like someone said that is appearantly how we talk to each other now. Not me, heading back into the forrest. Thanks for the support tho!

Vaporware

@Spj3k1 Just so you know, there are a fair amount of people here interested in material safety, we just don’t have a lot of data to work with.

I hope you manage to find some and that you’ll still share it here if you do. I think most of the devices we use are fairly safe, but until more of them are tested well we’re all speculating to some degree…

SquirrelMaster

I have never seen the lab reports that was discussed in the Lotus thread. I may have read through that entire thread a few years ago but I think I skipped a lot. Also it was years ago and I'm a pot head so....

From post #5 Max said:
"I've had a lab test for nickel fumes (thin plate on top) and they are a small percentage of what is in normal air."

Without seeing the lab test (which may be buried in that thread) we don't have exact numbers, so I'm not sure if the "small percentage of what is in normal air" means in comparison to "typical" city air, or if it is a small percentage higher than what is in typical air. Assuming the latter, it's very hard to make a case for or against the health concerns without an in depth study.
Nickel toxicity has been studied for decades so I'm sure there are reports that document the levels that factory workers had been exposed to before developing health issues. I doubt regular Lotus use will be anywhere near these levels.

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
Don’t forget that it’s the top of the nickel plate that gets torched. The plate conducts heat to the air beneath, which is drawn in via the intakes on the cap’s underside.

The butane and any nickel fumes are physically separated from the air path by the cap. That was a key objective of the Lotus’s design, rendering this whole discussion moot.

Given nickel’s vapor point, it’s safe to assume you don’t get anywhere near critical temps inside the cap assembly, especially since you’re constantly taking heat out of the system by inhaling.

Spj3k1

I have never seen the lab reports that was discussed in the Lotus thread. I may have read through that entire thread a few years ago but I think I skipped a lot. Also it was years ago and I'm a pot head so....

From post #5 Max said:
"I've had a lab test for nickel fumes (thin plate on top) and they are a small percentage of what is in normal air."

Without seeing the lab test (which may be buried in that thread) we don't have exact numbers, so I'm not sure if the "small percentage of what is in normal air" means in comparison to "typical" city air, or if it is a small percentage higher than what is in typical air. Assuming the latter, it's very hard to make a case for or against the health concerns without an in depth study.
Nickel toxicity has been studied for decades so I'm sure there are reports that document the levels that factory workers had been exposed to before developing health issues. I doubt regular Lotus use will be anywhere near these levels.
Thank you for this reply. I too have no reason to believe the levels of toxity is anything worth worry ing about at all.
Don’t forget that it’s the top of the nickel plate that gets torched. The plate conducts heat to the air beneath, which is drawn in via the intakes on the cap’s underside.

The butane and any nickel fumes are physically separated from the air path by the cap. That was a key objective of the Lotus’s design, rendering this whole discussion moot.

Given nickel’s vapor point, it’s safe to assume you don’t get anywhere near critical temps inside the cap assembly, especially since you’re constantly taking heat out of the system by inhaling.
Allright. Thanks for the serious and civil reply.

SquirrelMaster

So there is no nickel present on the bottom of the heat plate?

Top Bottom