New Vape Question

pwnage_

Hey everyone! I want to buy myself a vape, I'm not exactly a "purist" as I still love ripping my bongs and making new home made stuff all the time (makes the entire process of getting high more fun) my mate has a vape, think he spent about AU$80 on it, and it works well. It is the only vape I have tried though. But I have about $400 saved away in a "personal happiness" account (I budget all my income and put any extra away for something special I might want)..

So what I'm really asking is if YOU were to spend $400 on a vape, what would YOU get? Or would you continue to save for something like the cloud? Why would you get that one compared to another product?

I personally have been looking at the SSV, the Extreme Q and been doing some reading on The Cloud. But they all seem like good choices so it's getting hard..

Any links to a site that sells the item for "cheap" would also be appreciated.

Thanks and happy toking! :peace:

P.S: I hope this has made sense. This dank is insane.

pwnage_,

rotax

Zaporist
personal or party?
home or portable?
efficiency priority?

if your lookin at ssv, extreme, and the cloud; i'm going to guess you want a home vape, and possibly something thats going to get 'passed around'. in which case all the above would be adequate.

personally, if i had the $ to throw around, i'd be strongly considering the cloud.

however, my "personal" choice for a new/in-addition-to vape would be: magic flight box. but i want something portable to take on bike rides into the woods. :)

rotax,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
rotax said:
personal or party?
home or portable?
efficiency priority?

if your lookin at ssv, extreme, and the cloud; i'm going to guess you want a home vape, and possibly something thats going to get 'passed around'. in which case all the above would be adequate.

personally, if i had the $ to throw around, i'd be strongly considering the cloud.

however, my "personal" choice for a new/in-addition-to vape would be: magic flight box. but i want something portable to take on bike rides into the woods. :)

No way would I consider passing a Cloud around.

The Extreme is the most versatile but I'd add the Herbalaire to that list. Of course, I believe the LB is always a good choice for use by one or two people.

pakalolo,

rotax

Zaporist
hmm by what i've seen of the cloud, its not any more fragile than a higher end bong.. but i could be missing something, i've only watched a few vids on you tube, so i'm no expert.

then again, i don't do 'parties' or large group sessions anyway, so maybe i'm not aware of what people may do in such an environment.

rotax,

pwnage_

pakalolo said:
No way would I consider passing a Cloud around. .

Can I ask why not?

It's more for at home for personal use, but I tend to have my mates come around every now and then..

Thanks for the ideas :)

pwnage_,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I've not yet used the cloud, but I can only imagine the danger that lurks with a sofa full of stoners. Something like blowing into a loaded hydratube for example. :uhoh:

Stu,

Nycdeisel

HEY! Glad you finally joined over here, I hope you find what you are looking for! :)

ALWAYS be extra cautious when others are using and handling your vapes and glass, no matter how much you trust them or however you feel towards them, accidents do happen, expect it, and prepare for it. :|
:2c:

Nycdeisel,

pwnage_

Hey NYCD! Yeah it's fantastic over here! Thanks for the tip. People know their shit here. Yeah I try to be careful with all my stuff, but accidents do happen! My first 3 bongs have all been broken. 2 still work fine, but it's just never the same when you look at a dirty big crack or it doest work how it should. So my track record hasn't been amazing.

I really want an all through glass vape, and it will most likely just sit in the same spot in my room. Maybe go in the car occasionally if I go to a mates place for a gathering. But most of the time it will just sit in one spot.

Not all too keen on the "portables" though, thats why as good as the Cloud looks, I'm just not that keen. I don't like the idea of having to hold the actual vape.. A whip, sure, a vape, not so much. I'm clumsy as fuck when I'm high.

I'm leaning towards the Extreme Q. What are your thought about the unit?

Peace and pot :peace:

pwnage_,

Nycdeisel

For someone who sys they are clumsy, the EQ has more glass parts then other whip vapes, unless you really just want the whip and bag combo, in which case its a great choice. My thoughts are that its quality, but that there are other quality units that may suit you better. read a bit more until you have a few vapes on your plate to consider. If you look at one you will want that one, when you see more then one that you find appealing thats where the learning curve starts IMO, you start reading and learning the details. Do just that, and stick around here! this site is incredibly valuable.

Nycdeisel,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
pwnage_ said:
Not all too keen on the "portables" though, thats why as good as the Cloud looks, I'm just not that keen. I don't like the idea of having to hold the actual vape.. A whip, sure, a vape, not so much. I'm clumsy as fuck when I'm high.

The Cloud wouldn't be considered a "portable" at all. You should check out the thread on the Cloud as it's very intriguing indeed.

The EQ does have glass parts, but I haven't broken a single piece yet and I've had mine for over a year. Granted, it has never left it's spot here in my garage!

:peace:

Stu,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I'd recommend either a Silver Surfer or DaBuddah (both from 7th Floor) - both are very high end vaporizers; not glass though except the heater cover and the wand.
These are monster hit vapes and built rock solid.
You really can't go wrong and these are great first vaporizers, either or.
Down the line you may want to diversify but I think you'll be quite satisfied. These are well made and durable - they don't break too easy.
This guy Paul aka TokinGLX has made alot of entertaining and informative videos on both of these vapes - he's a distributor for them - and it was his videos that
convinced me that the SSV should be my first good vaporizer and it was the right decision.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tokinglx&aq=0

jeffp,

pwnage_

jeffp said:
I'd recommend either a Silver Surfer or DaBuddah (both from 7th Floor) - both are very high end vaporizers; not glass though except the heater cover and the wand.
Down the line you may want to diversify but I think you'll be quite satisfied. These are well made and durable - they don't break too easy.
This guy Paul aka TokinGLX has made alot of entertaining and informative videos on both of these vapes - he's a distributor for them - and it was his videos that
convinced me that the SSV should be my first good vaporizer and it was the right decision.

Thanks heaps for that advice man! It's the exact kind of response I've been looking for (no offence to other posters) I've been keen on the SSV and the Extreme-Q. Extreme-Q seems to give me some more diversity, but the SSV seems to be one of the more advanced and fine-tuned units.. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

pwnage_,

pwnage_

Stu said:
pwnage_ said:

The Cloud wouldn't be considered a "portable" at all. You should check out the thread on the Cloud as it's very intriguing indeed.

The EQ does have glass parts, but I haven't broken a single piece yet and I've had mine for over a year. Granted, it has never left it's spot here in my garage!

:peace:

Awh thats awesome advice as well. I really like it when someone has the items to compare them too. Would you buy the EQ again if you broke the others for instance?

pwnage_,
jeffp said:

I also ditto this is your are assimilating from combusting esp heavy bong rips. I had a couple thousand dollars in vapes before finding the dbv and have to say its been the best bang for my buck. I would try to buy a used one on here and some new glass to go with it. Or buy medicine. . .

biojuggernaut,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
If I broke my EQ and the Cloud wasn't yet available, then yes, I would buy a replacement for sure. I wouldn't hesitate at all.

Stu,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I have no experience with the Extreme but bags aren't my thing and in fact the Extreme is more "advanced" in the high tech sense than the Silver Surfer in that it has a remote control, a fan for optional forced air flow and the versatility of being both a whip vape and a bag vape. The SSV doesn't even have a digital temp display - it's essentially a bare bones whip vape but it's also second to none in that department. Rather than "advanced" I would describe the SSV as an "advancement" of the original wood box vapes like the Vapor Brothers (also a very good vaporizer) in almost every respect. It's a complete re-conceptualization of the box vape in terms of design, material and utility. The outtake hole on the heater cover (where you draw in from) has a relatively narrow circumference and that with the position of the intake hole on the lower side of the cover is set up so when you inhale the vapor comes through as a forward moving spiral so the vapor hits are both massive and cool. The "reverse angle" of the heater cover is such that there's no way that weed will fall out of the wand and into the heater. Such is not the case with the box vapes, and box vapes, at least in my experience, function best when the back end is raised up with a book or something for that reason.
I'm not at all down on the old style box vapes - I have and use my Vapor Brothers quite often, and I have the back end raised with a mouse pad with wrist support, if you can visualize what I'm saying. The SSV "tube" is made from heavy duty aluminum - it's not going to break if it drops. The company is great with service and repair, located in Colorado.
It's also the preferred vaporizer of Willie Nelson.

That said, the SSV is actually not my favorite vaporizer. I use the SSV when I want a heavy hitter or when I have friends over and we want to get extremely fucked up.
My favorite is the Purple Days, it's what I use on an almost daily basis for personal use or with one friend.
But that's another discussion.

While not a unilateral truth, it's considered by some that a perfect "best of both worlds" duo is the SSV and PD. Something you might want to keep in the back of your mind.

If you're new to vaping the SSV has the least amount of learning curve and it's the most forgiving.
What I mean by that is, four years ago I knew nothing about this shit and I went ahead and bought a "standard" SSV (now they have three options, standard, ground glass and hands free - I'm pretty sure about this) and I didn't have a clue and I didn't know about any "fuck combustion" to refer to .
I didn't know that it's good to dry your herb before vaping so I didn't. I didn't know that it's good to grind herb and I didn't own a grinder so the thought didn't cross my mind.
Didn't know about optional temperature, etc., all I did was pull off a bit of weed off a bud and hit off of it from the SSV and it was a revelation in spite of my lack of proper preparation.
So I would say it's "forgiving."

Yeah I would consider a SSV. Mine's a standard - not hands free - and I like it that way. I feel I have more control and I can clear the hits more easily.

jeffp,

max

Out to lunch
rotax said:
hmm by what i've seen of the cloud, its not any more fragile than a higher end bong.. but i could be missing something, i've only watched a few vids on you tube, so i'm no expert.

then again, i don't do 'parties' or large group sessions anyway, so maybe i'm not aware of what people may do in such an environment.
As long as you hold it upright, the Cloud is perfectly stable with hydratube installed. However, to be safe you wouldn't want to be handling it over a cement (or similarly hard) floor, and you'd have to trust people to handle it carefully. I've heard so many stories about vapes and glass getting busted in a party setting, I'd want to be using a table top unit and even trying to keep that securely in place.

pwnage_ said:
Thanks heaps for that advice man! It's the exact kind of response I've been looking for (no offence to other posters) I've been keen on the SSV and the Extreme-Q. Extreme-Q seems to give me some more diversity, but the SSV seems to be one of the more advanced and fine-tuned units.. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
For the money, I don't think you can't beat the SSV for thick hits and control over your hits. The DBV is close, with the GG connection providing much less control but more predictable hits. Direct hits from the Extreme are only close, as far as vapor dense hits, if you load the elbow screen instead of the bowl. Bag fill is a nice option, especially if you have users who aren't used to a whip vape, but I think you'll find that after a while, you'll enjoy direct hits much more.

max,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
pwnage_ said:
pakalolo said:
No way would I consider passing a Cloud around. .

Can I ask why not?

Answered a few times already, including by yourself in a roundabout way:

Yeah I try to be careful with all my stuff, but accidents do happen! My first 3 bongs have all been broken.

[snip]

I'm clumsy as fuck when I'm high.

You're my friend who will make me cry when you drop my beautiful Cloud.

Of course, there's an implicit assumption here that I won't have already broken it. I'm clumsy as fuck when I'm high.

Hm. My wife reminds me that I don't even have to be high...

pakalolo,

pwnage_

Haha thanks for that!

Would you prefer the cloud or a SSV Max, in your opinion that is? I'm thinking the SSV. Can I get a bong attachment for it?

pwnage_,
Top Bottom