New Evidence for Ancient Martian Ocean

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
ok, here is a weekender for you guys. 2 links, the first is the popular sci article and the second link (highly recommended) is the meat and potatoes from The Planetary Society blog. Can you say dielectric constant?

Sky & Telescope: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/comm...ence-for-Ancient-Martian-Ocean-139085114.html

Planetary Society Blog: http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00003365/

Personally I believe Mars once fostered microscopic life and that evidence will eventually be found in fossils there. But an entire ocean . . . hmmm. Makes me rethink the possible, geologic time is deep, and what they are talking about happened a long time ago.

From the paper "Dielectric map of the Martian northern hemisphere and the nature of plain filling materials" http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2012/2011GL050286.shtml

"A number of observations suggest that an extended ocean once covered a significant part of the Martian northern hemisphere. By probing the physical properties of the subsurface to unprecedented depth, the MARSIS/Mars Express provides new geophysical evidences for the former existence of a Late Hesperian ocean. The Vastitas Borealis formation, located inside a putative shoreline of the ancient ocean, has a low dielectric constant compared with that of typical volcanic materials. We show that the measured value is only consistent with low-density sedimentary deposits, massive deposits of ground-ice, or a combination of the two. In contrast, radar observations indicate a distribution of shallow ground ice in equilibrium with the atmosphere in the south polar region. We conclude that the northern plains are filled with remnants of a late Hesperian ocean, fed by water and sediments from the outflow channels about 3 Gy ago. "

t-dub,

Bon Dog

Its certainly possible but tbh its unlikely... its not just water that is neccecary for life, there are millions of variables that have to be perfect and the chances that 2 planets so close to each other harbored life is astronomical... lol astronomical :p

Bon Dog,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I disagree. Scientist's study of extremophiles suggest that life may be way more robust than you think. We have life systems on this planet that are completely independent of the sun's energy so . . . I'm leaving the possibilities open.

t-dub,

Bon Dog

too true i was thinking in terms of complex life. but you are right simple organisms can be quite robust.

Bon Dog,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Oh yes, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, definitely microscopic life imho. But still, it means a great deal if this is true. What about Europa or Enceladus? The recent Russian penetration into lake Vostok down in Antarctica is another story I am following right now.

t-dub,

Carbon

Mars has no magnetosphere to protect any lifeforms from the Sun's radiation, so for any life to currently exist there it would most likely need to be under the surface, perhaps if there is groundwater somewhere.

Carbon,

djonkoman

I've always believed mars has had microscopic life
my uncle once told me an even more extreme theory that mars once had oceans etc, but that venus wasn't on it's present location yet but entered from further away and shot close past mars, causing the pesent situation

djonkoman,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Something really bad may have happened to Mars in the distant past. Also, I believe that long ago Mars did have a molten core and a magnetic field at one time. The presence of the asteroid belt is evidence that "something" happened . . .

From MARS: MAGNETIC FIELD AND MAGNETOSPHERE

"The dynamo theory of planetary magnetism indicates that Mars may have had a dipole moment of about one-tenth of Earth's when it was first formed (Schubert and Spohn, 1990). The rotation rate Of Mars is approximately that of Earth and is thus sufficient for the operation of this initial dynamo. The other necessary ingredient of a convection driver in the core was supplied by heat left over from the accretion of the planet, which may have been effective for up to a few billion years. If such a field did indeed exist, evidence of it may still be present on the surface in the form of magnetized rocks and crustal regions like those observed on the Moon. No observations indicating the presence of such fields have been reported other than the aforementioned SNC meteorites' magnetization. "

http://www-ssc.igpp.ucla.edu/personnel/russell/papers/mars_mag/

Edit: Thanks SD for the Sagan link, he was amazing and watching him as a kid, well you guys can read the results here. He inspired a lifetime of scientific curiosity for me.

t-dub,
Top Bottom