Nethack

Tranquility

Do you play it, and if so, do you play on a public server?
Don't play it; never heard of it; looks pretty cool.

I suspect this is going to be a minecraft-level time sink.

I played a game much like this way, way back on a mini computer. This seems much the same on the surface. With years of refinement...

Tranquility,

rnartian

Earthling flora is... fascinating.
It reminds of old MUD games. used to play those all the time in the 90s. I'll definitely play it now that you've brought it to my attention. I love roguelikes.

Edit: I died at level 3 from starving and getting ambushed by spiders. Nice.

Last edited:

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Don't play it; never heard of it; looks pretty cool.

I suspect this is going to be a minecraft-level time sink.

I played a game much like this way, way back on a mini computer. This seems much the same on the surface. With years of refinement...

It is an incredible time sink. It is extremely complex and there are many who've played for decades (yes I said decades) without winning—yet they keep playing.

The game you played was probably Rogue, or possibly Hack. Both of those are the ancestors of Nethack.

It reminds of old MUD games. used to play those all the time in the 90s. I'll definitely play it now that you've brought it to my attention. I love roguelikes.

Edit: I died at level 3 from starving and getting ambushed by spiders. Nice.

Be prepared to die a lot. If the game interests you then I strongly recommend that you start using the Nethack wiki. One of the most important things to remember is that nothing happens until you press a key. That means you can look something up or, if you are so inclined, ask questions in one of the IRC channels. I am a great believer in being as spoiled as possible for this game, as are virtually all of the really successful players.

I started this thread because I was curious if there was any overlap between this community and the Nethack community. I prefer to play and vape at the same time.

rnartian

It is an incredible time sink. It is extremely complex and there are many who've played for decades (yes I said decades) without winning—yet they keep playing.

The game you played was probably Rogue, or possibly Hack. Both of those are the ancestors of Nethack.

Be prepared to die a lot. If the game interests you then I strongly recommend that you start using the Nethack wiki. One of the most important things to remember is that nothing happens until you press a key. That means you can look something up or, if you are so inclined, ask questions in one of the IRC channels. I am a great believer in being as spoiled as possible for this game, as are virtually all of the really successful players.

I started this thread because I was curious if there was any overlap between this community and the Nethack community. I prefer to play and vape at the same time.
I've been trying to learn through the wizard, but I might try starting with a new class to learn. I've had a lot of fun dying on floors 2-4 lol

rnartian,

lauantaimakkara

no. i used to play Adom though. It was one of the best games but I'm not sure if i have patience and time to start it again.

lauantaimakkara,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I've been trying to learn through the wizard, but I might try starting with a new class to learn. I've had a lot of fun dying on floors 2-4 lol

The easiest role for a beginner is dwarf valkyrie. They start with good armour class and a decent weapon, and once they reach experience level 5 they can dip their long sword into fountains to get Excalibur, which is one of the best artifact weapons in the game. Also, no matter what role you play, don't hesitate to run away or avoid fighting.

Are you playing on a public server?

pakalolo,
Reactions: rnartian

rnartian

The easiest role for a beginner is dwarf valkyrie. They start with good armour class and a decent weapon, and once they reach experience level 5 they can dip their long sword into fountains to get Excalibur, which is one of the best artifact weapons in the game. Also, no matter what role you play, don't hesitate to run away or avoid fighting.

Are you playing on a public server?
That might be why I'm dying so much, I try to kill anything so my cat doesn't die...
I'm not sure? I downloaded it, and have just been playing it myself. How do I join a public server?

rnartian,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
That might be why I'm dying so much, I try to kill anything so my cat doesn't die...
I'm not sure? I downloaded it, and have just been playing it myself. How do I join a public server?

There are a few public servers. You will need a terminal client like putty or my preference, kitty. The best known server is NAO, which you can read about at https://alt.org/nethack/. That page includes instruction on how to join. I play on a different server: https://www.hardfought.org/nethack/. You can watch games being played on both these servers.

I like to play on a public server because of the community. I keep a window open on the IRC channel #hardfought on freenode.net. I recommend this because you can ask questions and get excellent advice from the best players in the game.

Top Bottom