Need your opinion on how to buy best meds

lwien

FLskwat said:
Or a friend with an MMJ card and a celly for live description...(been there...) :rolleyes:

EDIT: question Lwien, what about those pushy add guys on Venice for example? These saying to every tourist to "enter the building they are standing next to,go to the doctor on ground 0, get a script for 135 bux and then at the MJ club on 1st floor"...are these only for US citizen? Not talking about the quality of the "dispensary" wich obviously is a tourist scam...

Fuck. I HATE those guys if for nothing else than they give the whole MMJ movement a bad name. You're absolutely right.............a fucking tourist scam.

But yeah, you cannot get a script, even from them, without a valid California ID or drivers license, unless of course, they are outright breaking the law and being that there are cops walking that beat all the time, I very much doubt that they are.

lwien,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
OK thx for the details! ;)

I think I hate the fake "doctor" doing 135 bux/10mn x 100 times/day involved in this scam...He's the one giving a poor image of the movement.
If the add guy is a poor student trying to survive with that horrible job...I'll forgive him! :lol:

FLskwat,

lwien

FLskwat said:
OK thx for the details! ;)

I think I hate the fake "doctor" doing 135 bux/10mn x 100 times/day involved in this scam...He's the one giving a poor image of the movement.
If the add guy is a poor student trying to survive with that horrible job...I'll forgive him! :lol:

Yeah, and that 135 bucks is double the price of most all of the MJ doctors out there. 60 to 65 seems to be the going rate now with annual renewals going for around 40 to 50.

lwien,

Gunky

Some of the doctors giving the letters are ok. I went to one of those letter places and the doctor was very cool and recommended using a vaporizer. I noticed she was more strict in requiring documentation for some younger applicants.

Gunky,

OO

Technical Skeptical
OhTheAgony said:
I never go by strain alone even though I do have my favorites, since every harvest is usually of different quality. Some growers are pretty consistent, but still.

I go by smell and sight. If it smells nice it usually tastes nice, and if it has a lot of white powdery stuff on it should be strong enough.

But I've never had any problems simply asking for 'the strongest shit they have' as well.

To be honest I have no idea how buying legal weed in America works. As soon as I'm in the USA I'm gonna make a field trip of visiting one of those dispensaries just out of curiosity.
you're the norm, it is unfortunate that none of the variables mentioned are an indicator of potency.

OO,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
brick and mortar for naught, this is all so childish, we should be able to taste it - wish we had those coffee shops here in cali

VWFringe,

Adaox

OO said:
OhTheAgony said:
I never go by strain alone even though I do have my favorites, since every harvest is usually of different quality. Some growers are pretty consistent, but still.

I go by smell and sight. If it smells nice it usually tastes nice, and if it has a lot of white powdery stuff on it should be strong enough.

But I've never had any problems simply asking for 'the strongest shit they have' as well.

To be honest I have no idea how buying legal weed in America works. As soon as I'm in the USA I'm gonna make a field trip of visiting one of those dispensaries just out of curiosity.
you're the norm, it is unfortunate that none of the variables mentioned are an indicator of potency.

Now that's just not true. Trichome production has a LOT to do with potency.

First off forget about names. That's just a label they threw on that jar. So what you're left with is their word and what you can see/smell.

Certain smells are just there in a strain. Bubbas smell like bubba AND depending on trichome production will be from X strong to Y strong.

Same with ogs etc etc. The big problem is things are being cross and names changed so often it hard to keep up.

The op said building a relationship was not his first option.

So you're left with what you got. The only constant is you. Your eyes and your nose.

Pay close attention to your meds. You know what works for you. Trust me. :)

As I used to say when I was behind the counter.

"you know you, better than I know you" based on what you ask for your bud tender will make some recommendations. After that its up to your senses to make that last call.

Hope this helped. :)

Adaox,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
Vale tudo's letting me exchange for different strains, 2-3 flavors at a time, couple nugs each...letting me try different stuff (suggested a sativa with a couple down-type indos last time).

How far should I be willing to drive, if I find a place out of area, that gets top shelf consistently?

VWFringe,

lwien

^^ CRC always has a more than a few "hit-it-or-quit-it" strains. No doubt others do too. Also, no doubt that many don't.

lwien,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
i've given up on the place i thougth was going to be great, great customer service, but no ability to get the genetics I seem to require

I was "that guy" again, tho I tried to be level, I still appeared animated

he thought he was allowing me the space to find what would work for me, and I ended up feeling like I was doing research for him since I imediately realized no combination of strains would overcome the false economy of buying $45 weed that takes me two or three times as much to get me medicated.

nuggetry wasnt great last couple times, so am going again to westminster wellness center...i think they almost always have one or two strains of top shelf (louis xiii was sort of)

wish there was a question i could ask, but have to wonder if it's not the question, but the way i've been asking it that's been the problem, because the question hasn't just been the question, it's been the question backed by all of the frustration, and even tho I'd like to think the question didn't sound like anything bad, I have to know it might have, and the guy's own experiences with customer's may be flavoring it also. I'll just try asking a different/nicer way next time.

VWFringe,

OO

Technical Skeptical
Adaox said:
OO said:
OhTheAgony said:

please don't repeat misinformation.

the reason that the number of trichomes has little to do with potency is because not all of the trichome is psychoactive. the concentration of psychoactive components in the trichome as well as the number of trichomes is what will determine potency.

there are many very potent strains that have very little in the way of trichomes.

OO,

lwien

OO said:
there are many very potent strains that have very little in the way of trichomes.

Very true, OO. I've looked at bud that just sparkled with trichs and smelled great, but was not nearly as potent as some bud that didn't look or smell anywhere near as spectacular. While looks and smell "can" help one pick a quality med, it can definitely be misleading which is why it's really important to not only find a dispensary that you can trust but that also does business with the same growers so that consistent quality is always on hand. It also helps to find one where you can return the bud if it doesn't provide you with what you are looking for as well as provide detailed lab reports of their meds.

Dispensaries like this do exist. You just got to take the time to find one.

lwien,

weedemon

enthusiast
damn, I want to get involved in this some day. the whole dispensary thing sounds so amazing to me.

weedemon,

OO

Technical Skeptical
weedemon said:
damn, I want to get involved in this some day. the whole dispensary thing sounds so amazing to me.
it capitalizes upon the whole retail concept which i'm not the greatest fan of.

i'm much more preferential to the old "trade and barter" system.

OO,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
is there any discussion about pesticides/fungacides/nasticides that are used by growers to control root aphids? it seems all of california is infested with root aphids -- which come from the grape vineyards. Imidacloprid seems to be popular, but is a systemic control and must be used >45 days before harvest.

Hippie Dickie,

Adaox

OO said:
Adaox said:

the reason that the number of trichomes has little to do with potency is because not all of the trichome is psychoactive. the concentration of psychoactive components in the trichome as well as the number of trichomes is what will determine potency.

those would be the exception. Not the rule.

Furthermore it's the trichome production. I never said it had to be caked with trichomes, but their production must be top notch. There are things to look for.

But what do I know. I just used to pick out meds for a dispensary... Silly me. :(

Adaox,

momatik

VWFringe said:
brick and mortar for naught, this is all so childish, we should be able to taste it - wish we had those coffee shops here in cali

It'd be sweet if dispensaries could have a bunch of log vapes there for samples.

If 1 g is ~20 stems, dispensaries could charge a buck to sample a strain before you buy it.

momatik,

OO

Technical Skeptical
Adaox said:
OO said:
Adaox said:

those would be the exception. Not the rule.

Furthermore it's the trichome production. I never said it had to be caked with trichomes, but their production must be top notch. There are things to look for.

But what do I know. I just used to pick out meds for a dispensary... Silly me. :(
actually the part you highlighted in bold IS the rule.
it IS the list of the two factors that must be considered when considering potency. (when considering active oil content as a whole and not the ratios of each)

i don't care if you've picked buds for dispensaries, nearly all dispensaries rely on bag appeal and not potency to make a sale, so they would be looking for the buds with the most frost.

who's gonna buy the strain with few trichomes? oh yeah, the ones that know that you have to try it first to determine potency. this is something that people don't do nowadays, and i'm astounded that people will drop between 50-200 dollars on a strain they've never tried.

OO,

hereatlast

I don't think its an irrelevant point to raise that a proper operationalization of 'potency' would have to presuppose a 'rule.' That is to say, surely some non-(or even quasi, if they exist)psychoactive component(s) in the trichome could affect and/or qualify a conception of 'potency.' In short, I'm trying to raise the possibility of a batch that offers a potent analgesic (for instance) property without a very potent psychoactive one. Unfortunately I'm not well-versed in the nuances of a wide variety of strains so I'm not the person to speak on the reality of strains, and more specifically batches, that exhibit such chemistries/natures.

hereatlast,

lwien

momatik said:
If 1 g is ~20 stems, dispensaries could charge a buck to sample a strain before you buy it.

Great idea. :clap:

But I think you may be a bit conservative on that amount. I'm able to get about twice that many stems from a gram........fully packed stems.

lwien,

lwien

hereatlast said:
I'm trying to raise the possibility of a batch that offers a potent analgesic (for instance) property without a very potent psychoactive one. Unfortunately I'm not well-versed in the nuances of a wide variety of strains so I'm not the person to speak on the reality of strains, and more specifically batches, that exhibit such chemistries/natures.

There are strains that have have a very high CBD ratio to THC and I believe these are the strains you may be speaking of. Something like this, maybe: http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=4439

From the reports on this strain, there is a high pain relief component with very little europhia.

lwien,

hereatlast

Yup, thats exactly what I was speaking of lwien, thanks for the link (and legwork). I've also read about other strains in that vein (most recently in an issue of High Times: Medical Marijuana) but couldn't recall specifics. In any case, with strains like these in mind, any rule with reference to potency must account for in some way the reality of non-psychoactive conceptions of potency IMO.

hereatlast,

OO

Technical Skeptical
hereatlast said:
I don't think its an irrelevant point to raise that a proper operationalization of 'potency' would have to presuppose a 'rule.' That is to say, surely some non-(or even quasi, if they exist)psychoactive component(s) in the trichome could affect and/or qualify a conception of 'potency.' In short, I'm trying to raise the possibility of a batch that offers a potent analgesic (for instance) property without a very potent psychoactive one. Unfortunately I'm not well-versed in the nuances of a wide variety of strains so I'm not the person to speak on the reality of strains, and more specifically batches, that exhibit such chemistries/natures.

i addressed this with the whole "(when considering active oil content as a whole and not the ratios of each)".

yes, these ratios will affect the "potency" concept, but the other points still stand as legitimate variables.
the ratio is a variable to consider as well, in addition to the others i was pointing out.

BTW: the most potent strain i have at the moment is a strain with very little in the way of trichomes, yet it is paranoia inducing. paranoia inducing is generally associated with extremely high THC doses.

and i use approximately 1 PD stem's worth in a session. my sensitivity won't be the same as someone else's.
hereatlast said:
In any case, with strains like these in mind, any rule with reference to potency must account for in some way the reality of non-psychoactive conceptions of potency IMO.
agreed, which is why i've been saying what i have in this thread, misconceptions are a bitch to dispel

OO,
Top Bottom