Need information and opinions on new vaporizers.. Input appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spgphan

Hey, I am relatively new to the forum, but not new to vaping. I have previously owned a Vapor Brothers vaporizer, and two Da Buddha vaporizers, as well as a Vapor Genie. However I haven't been vaping in years, and am stoked to get a new vaporizer.

I am a fan of the whip style vaporizers, and I loved my Vapor Brothers, however, I am not wild about the 7th Floor designs because both of my Da Buddha's broke (two heater covers broke while vaping, and two broke while replacing the broken ones). So I am leaning away from SSV/DBV, because I fear their lack of durability.

I do not know much about newer styles, and I would like to spend no more than $180-200. I purchased my vapor brothers for like 175 back a while ago, but now they seem to be like $225+? Have prices just increased over time or what?

Anyway, new suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and all input is welcome on reviews of various suggestions. Thanks!

spgphan,

weedemon

enthusiast
tell us more about what you want out of a vape please?

stealth? (mflb or omicron)
Ease of use?
monster rips? (7th floor products, the supreme the up coming cloud)
water filtration?
flavour? (mflb is one tasty lil vape imo.)
amount of product used per session? (log vapes win for this genre)
oil or herbs? (omicron/mhk curve imo for oils, or the eclipse in 2nd place.)
are you concerned with what the vape is made of?
do you like bag vapes? (hebalaire, oracle)

if you can wait. spend 2x as much and get the vape xhale cloud!

weedemon,

cluffy

Vaker
Maybe it's time you tried a log vape, I just got my first last week and I enjoy it, but I have to use it through a bong. Have fun shopping!!

cluffy,

spgphan

Well, I would plan on using this vape with a group of people a lot of the time, so it needs to be durable, and I don't think I want to chance trying anything from 7th floor because of my bad experiences with their glass. I have used MFLB before and like it, and have considered getting one, but I think I might like a whip/tube vape better. I am considering another vapor brothers, but I would like more information about what else is out there.

Are the log vapes like purple days and the zap ones? And do those do well with groups? Or how does the vaporwarez compare? Other information on different non-box whip-style vapes would be appreciated. Thanks.

spgphan,

SD_haze

spgphan said:
Well, I would plan on using this vape with a group of people a lot of the time, so it needs to be durable, and I don't think I want to chance trying anything from 7th floor because of my bad experiences with their glass. I have used MFLB before and like it, and have considered getting one, but I think I might like a whip/tube vape better. I am considering another vapor brothers, but I would like more information about what else is out there.

Are the log vapes like purple days and the zap ones? And do those do well with groups? Or how does the vaporwarez compare? Other information on different non-box whip-style vapes would be appreciated. Thanks.

log vape would not be a good choice for lots of group seshs
the loading chamber is really tiny

it sounds like the herbalaire would suit your needs the best.
the things a tank, can easily fall off a table, with a very big herb chamber so its great for groups.

you can attach a whip, use direct draw, or fill up bags with an included pump.
its pretty expensive retail but you can go on ebay and find a unit under $200 and it should still be under the warranty.
:2c:

SD_haze,

weedemon

enthusiast
from what you describe it does sound like you are looking for a bag vape too. When passing a bag around it's harder for anyone to break anything :p

the fact the herbal can do whip is a nice bonus though! i didn't know that!

(is it still forced air? or direct draw when the whip is being used?)

weedemon,

Bouldorado

spgphan said:

log vapes are good for 2 people max. for whips I like the vaporbros a lot, even more than the ssv I think. If you want cheap, get an Arizer v-tower.

Bouldorado,

spgphan

I was going to ask, what would the comparison be between the Arizer Extreme Q, or the Herbalaire. I cant decide which is a better option, and I think I like both designs. I enjoyed a friend's V-tower a long time ago, and I assume the Extreme Q is pretty much the exact same? Opinions and information on these two vapes would be appreciated!

spgphan,

Nycdeisel

I believe the HA has less breakable [glass] parts then the EQ. i am not sure how well the HA works with a whip btw

Nycdeisel,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
If you want to vape in large groups, EQ can do it, but not very fast. It's fan isn't the fastest - fills a 0.5m bag (2-4 full lungs) in 1.5 minutes. It has glass around the heater and two glass connection to make it work. If you are worried about glass and want performance, herbalAire can be better choice. I don't own one, but i think it has no glass, is more durable, makes more dense bags and with good air pump can fill much faster. With the default pump it should fill same fast as EQ. Also I'm fascinated about the HA's ability to vape hard packed bowl. Also I've seen some videos of it filling multiple bags simultaneously.

Seek,

spgphan

Well, if the Extreme Q has multiple glass pieces, it might not be the best option for the same fear I have for the DBV/SSV. But I was wondering from some first hand opinions, how is the quality of the vapor in the Herbalaire? I am unsure of how effective the non glass vapor path is? Does it resin up more easily, and is it harder to clean? Input on the Herbalaire would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

spgphan,

max

Out to lunch
I am not wild about the 7th Floor designs because both of my Da Buddha's broke (two heater covers broke while vaping, and two broke while replacing the broken ones). So I am leaning away from SSV/DBV, because I fear their lack of durability.
When did you have this issue? Was it during a short period of time? Poor quality glass has never been an issue with this company. I've used two different heater covers on my SSV through the years with no problem. I've also read hundreds of poitive reviews for these two vapes, and broken HC's have not been an issue, as far as manufacturing defects. Since the gg connection is standard on the DBV, it's going to have more chance of glass stress caused by constant making and breaking of the connection during use. Even with that issue, we've not seen a lot of reports of broken HC's. I seriously doubt you'd have had any problems with the SSV and the standard connection.

If you like whip use, the 7th Floor vapes are, IMO, the best bang for the buck, all things considered. You can certainly get other good whip models, but there'll be compromises to watch out for, such as the angle of whip/heater cover connection, and the quality of the heating element. 7th Floor uses a high quality, sealed element, which lasts for many years without producing any oxidation on the heater surface. That can't be said for most of the competition in that price range.

The Vapor Bros. is a solid model, but they've priced themselves out of the market as far as I'm concerned. They don't have a lifetime warranty, as they advertise (two years only for free repair), and it uses the downward whip angle-poor ergonomics IMO.

If you're deciding between the herbalAire and the Extreme, I'd highly recommend the herbie, in view of your glass problems. I've seen a hundred times as many issues with broken glass on the Extreme vs. 7th Floor vapes. And if you like the big hits that the DBV provides, I think you'll be disappointed with either of these models, although you can get thicker hits with the E if you use the elbow screen. Bags are definitely the best way to go for groups though-no learning curve, just fill and suck.

how is the quality of the vapor in the Herbalaire?
Exactly what do you mean by quality? There really isn't any difference in vapor quality, no matter what model you use. A simple light bulb vape produces the same quality of vapor as the most expensive models. What varies is the consistency of hits, and the thickness of the vapor. The herbie will fill a bag as well as any bag filler, and the density of the vapor is just a matter of the bag size, and how much herb is loaded. Fan or pump speed also matters with vapor density, but for the most part, bagged vapor is all pretty much the same. Opinions on the direct draw hits from the HA vary, but the 18 tiny inlet holes that do such a great job of thoroughly vaping the herb with bag fill, don't contribute to thick hits. I only used it for direct draw a few times. Any whip only model I owned always gave more satisfactory hits. Attaching a bong does wonders though, from all reports. The E has a big bowl and large airways, so the whip hits aren't thick with that one either, thus the trick of loading the elbow screen instead. Bottom line is that no dual mode vape can equal the whip hits you can get from most whip only vapes. As for cleaning the HA, it's very easy, except for the main mouthpiece screen.

max,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
spgphan said:
Well, if the Extreme Q has multiple glass pieces, it might not be the best option for the same fear I have for the DBV/SSV. But I was wondering from some first hand opinions, how is the quality of the vapor in the Herbalaire? I am unsure of how effective the non glass vapor path is? Does it resin up more easily, and is it harder to clean? Input on the Herbalaire would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

i suspect that when you are asking about the quality of the vapor in the herbalaire (ha), you are actually asking about the vapor-air ratio. generally, if you want thick hits (where you exhale clouds) then you want a high vapor to air ratio. the supreme vape, is a cloud producing king because it doesn't use a whip, the vaporpath is very short, and its heater is very capable of keeping up with how hard you draw (although the slower the draw the thicker the hit).

now lets look at the herbalaire - no glass in the ha at all, however, the ha's mouthpiece will fit directly into almost any waterpiece. therefore, it becomes a seriously debilitating vapebong. by eliminating the need for the whip you are increasing your vapor to air ratio instantly - you don't need to draw 'fresh' air though the length of the whip Before you get any vapes. also, whips are an added expense and hassle to clean. personally i also think that whip based vapes are not as easy to use with glass as the herbalaire because you always have one hand on the ha and one hand on the glass. unless you got three hands, or some very careful friends, i find the ha much easier to use than a whip based vape. you don't need to stir the bowl after every hit in the ha, unlike in a whip based vape, where you pretty much need to stir after every hit which is why a third hand would be handy!!!

to vapebong with the ha:
place a fine screen on the bottom of the crucible
place your Ground up! stuff in the crucible (when its ground up theres more surface area = quicker, thicker clouds)
place a fine screen ontop of your stuff so its sandwiched between two screens in the crucible
turn on ha to at least 355f, place crucible inside, place mouthpiece on top, wait until the light turns red
place mouthpiece on glass and away you go!

you will not be able to find a more efficient and cloud producing vape when used as a vapebong. you can load as little as 0.05, and as much as you can stuff in the crucible - which is way more than 4 people would need! its a log vape on steriods!

as far as cleaning it, its dead easy! when the mouthpiece is hot, as in directly after a session, place it into a cup with some grunge off, simple green, or iso. let it soak then rinse - it should be clean afterwards. otherwise, pop the screen out of the bottom of the mouthpiece then use heated up iso and a toothbrush it will clean everything perfectly. clean the crucible the same way. for the 'heating chamber' just use a qtip soaked in iso.

you will need to vape a lot and probably also use some form of concentrates in order to get the mouthpiece to actually resin up. mostly it will just get dirty, its not like you could reclaim the resin from the moutpiece.

as far as the eq goes - i know nothing other than that i wouldn't trade my ha for an eq ever. even if you paid me.

MAX:
Fan or pump speed also matters with vapor density, but for the most part, bagged vapor is all pretty much the same. Opinions on the direct draw hits from the HA vary, but the 18 tiny inlet holes that do such a great job of thoroughly vaping the herb with bag fill, don't contribute to thick hits. I only used it for direct draw a few times. Any whip only model I owned always gave more satisfactory hits.

i disagree with this. the 18 holes really do contribute to thicker hits even in direct draw. when you grind up your material the 18 holes allow the material to be vaped much more evenly (even without stirring) and with less draws then you would need to vape the same amount in a whip based vape including the stirring. afterwards, the abv in the ha will always look more uniformly vaped then in a whip based vape too.

personally, i don't think you can get thicker hits from any whip based vape than you can get from the ha. combined with ease of use, the ability to vape a lot or a little, bags are an option, no stirring, compatible with almost any glass piece, and the near indestructibility of the ha - its obviously the best do it all vape there is!

notmyrealUSERname,

spgphan

Thanks for the opinion Notmyrealusername, I think you might have sold me on the HA. I have some questions about what you posted though.

"now lets look at the herbalaire - no glass in the ha at all, however, the ha's mouthpiece will fit directly into almost any waterpiece. therefore, it becomes a seriously debilitating vapebong. by eliminating the need for the whip you are increasing your vapor to air ratio instantly - you don't need to draw 'fresh' air though the length of the whip Before you get any vapes. also, whips are an added expense and hassle to clean."

"as far as cleaning it, its dead easy! when the mouthpiece is hot, as in directly after a session, place it into a cup with some grunge off, simple green, or iso. let it soak then rinse - it should be clean afterwards. otherwise, pop the screen out of the bottom of the mouthpiece then use heated up iso and a toothbrush it will clean everything perfectly. clean the crucible the same way. for the 'heating chamber' just use a qtip soaked in iso."

Is the herbalaire mouthpiece that will fit into most any waterpiece close to a glass on glass joint? And also is it the piece that comes out of the vaporizer for direct draw/inhale? Or does the whip have any good function as a vapor/waterpipe attachment?

Also, when cleaning the herbalaire, will 91% isopropol alcohol affect or errode at the materials that are used in the whip/heating chamber/mouthpiece? I haven't found what they are made of and I fear using alcohol on things that can't handle chemicals.

Lastly, I was wondering how durable are the bags that it comes with? Do they tear or wear out quickly? And are they easily replaceable/cheap? Thanks for the input and advice?

spgphan,

SD_haze

spgphan said:
Is the herbalaire mouthpiece that will fit into most any waterpiece close to a glass on glass joint? And also is it the piece that comes out of the vaporizer for direct draw/inhale? Or does the whip have any good function as a vapor/waterpipe attachment?

Also, when cleaning the herbalaire, will 91% isopropol alcohol affect or errode at the materials that are used in the whip/heating chamber/mouthpiece? I haven't found what they are made of and I fear using alcohol on things that can't handle chemicals.

Lastly, I was wondering how durable are the bags that it comes with? Do they tear or wear out quickly? And are they easily replaceable/cheap? Thanks for the input and advice?

the herbalaire mouthpiece fits into the standard sized, 14.4mm GonG joint.

this picture shows the multiple functionality, but you shouldnt use the whip with a waterpipe, just plug it right in. you dont want to add a longer airpath
multiple%20functionality.gif

and here's a video of the manufacturer using iso alcohol to clean it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX4DfMvHO30&feature=player_embedded

SD_haze,

spgphan

So to use the vaporbong setup, do you actually pick up the whole Herbalaire contraption, turn it upside down, and stick the mouthpiece or the direct inhale piece inside the downstem? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be bad to turn the whole vaporizer upside down? I am having a hard time visualizing the setup, and haven't found it on youtube yet.

Also, does anyone see a need to improve the whip setup? How safe actually are the teflon pieces, or would it be better to replace the teflon whip with some silicon tubing similar to what comes in the DBV/SSV/VB? I am quite interested in the herbalaire, but I want to be certain that it will suit my needs to the extent of keeping me safely vaping happily.

Thanks for the input.

spgphan,

SD_haze

spgphan said:
So to use the vaporbong setup, do you actually pick up the whole Herbalaire contraption, turn it upside down, and stick the mouthpiece or the direct inhale piece inside the downstem? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be bad to turn the whole vaporizer upside down? I am having a hard time visualizing the setup, and haven't found it on youtube yet.

Also, does anyone see a need to improve the whip setup? How safe actually are the teflon pieces, or would it be better to replace the teflon whip with some silicon tubing similar to what comes in the DBV/SSV/VB? I am quite interested in the herbalaire, but I want to be certain that it will suit my needs to the extent of keeping me safely vaping happily.

Thanks for the input.

Yeeup, you just pick up the whole unit and stick it in the downstem.

Not bad at all for it to be upside down, the herbalaire is a tank! (3yr warranty too)

the whip is foodgrade standard so it should be plenty safe to use

SD_haze,

max

Out to lunch
The whip performance could use improvement, since it's weak compared to a whip only vape. That's why people attach bongs. But improving the 'out of the box' direct draw would likely mean compromising the excellent efficiency of the heating chamber. You can't get rid of the teflon, but once past the main mouthpiece there is no teflon.

Lastly, I was wondering how durable are the bags that it comes with? Do they tear or wear out quickly? And are they easily replaceable/cheap?
They don't tear unless you're rough with them. Volcano bags are easily obtainable on eBay for under $5 a box.

max,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom