Need Help Searching with Google

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
I can't seem to figure out how to search with Google - is there a different suffix I can type in manually to take me to the post Google refers to?

Will Google update as it crawls the new system, or will their links remain broken because of item ID number or something?

I can't seem to be able to search for "the g pen" or even the word pen through the board's search, or the company name Grenco - is the new search function working for older messages?

Thx,

VWFringe,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
I have noticed that any links to the old FC server will not redirect to this new server. So all links found through a google search or similar will be dead links unless the thread was made on this new server. Def one downside to upgrades :(

aesthyrian,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
The Google search, which you might have already tried, is:

"the g pen" site:www.fuckcombustion.com
This yields six results besides this thread. As aesthyrian points out, however, internal links are not working.

pakalolo,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
Google search seems to be working, with only a few dead links

The new results all show the word "threads" in the middle of the link, instead of the "php" reference, so I believe the newest crawls by the Google spiders are finding things okay. whew!

VWFringe,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Google will sort itself out. What won't fix itself is the broken internal link problem, because the structure of an internal link has changed and there is a different mapping of thread numbers. Without having both databases, it's hard to tell whether you could extract the old thread numbers and titles and convert them to the new mapping. I'd bet that's not easy to do because if it were, the FluxBB import tool would have taken care of it.

pakalolo,
Top Bottom