my trim got moldy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

medme

ex-smoker by choice
so at the title says,,, my trim got moldy, i had about a oz. that i was saving to make a tincture... can i still use it or should i just throw it out... i'm using 190 proof everclear... thanks..

medme,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I personally would throw it out. I am sure some folks would try to clean and use it. I'd be sad but I'd toss. Mold sucks!

Lo,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
What about a water cure? I would imagine some of the mexibrick Ive used in the past had its share of mold that his since passed. :o

Watercure then an ISO wash would get my vote if you dont want to toss it.
But thats me.

AGBeer,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I'd be more happy eating mouldy stuff than breathing it. I've got the stomach of an ox, and at the worst I'd probably be on the toilet for a few hours, or puking. But most mould hasn't hurt me and I've eaten mouldy bread, cheese, maybe fruit? whatever. My stomach has evolved to be fairly robust to lots of common mould. Wouldn't chance mouldy meat mind, and I'm not denying that some kinds of mould will surely be dangerous to eat (alfatoxins, mycotoxins).

But the proposition of mouldy lungs from inhaling spores in my vapor freaks me out :uhoh: I don't know the real risks, but intuitively it seems your lungs are a pretty hospitable habitat for these spores to sprout and cause trouble. I do think I read somewhere of someone who had LOADS of cotton like mould that got established and grew in their sinuses or somewhere like that and caused massive problems.

I've heard that the spore can be transferred to concentrates, although I'm sure there are ways to minimise this. Not really sure how they could be released into the vapor from a concentrate, or if they could, how this could be done a a temperature low enough not to destroy the spore.

But just on a precautionary basis I've used anything mouldy in the past for edibles (after a few rinses) :2c:

WatTyler,

medme

ex-smoker by choice
i WAS thinking about drying it good,,,putting it in a jar a covering it with everclear,, letting it set for a month then straining it through a cotton ball that i stuffed into the spout of a funnel,,, i'm thinking it would be ok,,, but,, i'm loaded and need to type... lol ,,, well i guess also i'd like reassurance ..... thanks guys,,,

medme,

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
I'd do a fine grind right into the garbage disposal...it's trim, my guess is either you or someone you know will grow more, and have trim again at later date, so for the sake of your lungs, get rid of it man!! You cannot wash off the spores, umpossible.

And with all the mold eating you've done or are still doing, are you a college student or in a 3rd world country, or my Grandpa?

Silver420Surfer,

medme

ex-smoker by choice
Silver420Surfer said:
I'd do a fine grind right into the garbage disposal...

i was leaning this way after thinking about it some more,,,,,so,,, garbage it is,,, thanks guys for the replys

you may have saved my life,,,,lol.... i'm an old grampa anyway,,,,

medme,

Nycdeisel

Tuck said:
Mold can kill you. It's trim. Let it go.

I would take this advice. I once lost quite a bit of fairly dank BUD to mold, but didnt want to risk it,

Alcohol can kill most mold but cant kill all types of spores. Just toss it and be thankful for your health.

Nycdeisel,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Yeah mold is a big no no. I wouldn't risk it even if it was moldy dank, let alone trim. I read that you can bake it in oven at 300F to kill most, but prob not all of.it... I also heard that eating it is worse for you, hut cant remekber who source was or how reliable their info is tho.

Just recently had to return some shit caus it was moldy and my fetcher ddnt notice
Ended up bein dry for a couple days while I awaited diff stuff, but its better than a hospital stay

steiner666,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I dont want to come off as an asshat, but WHAT sort of mold/fungus are we speaking of?

Some of our most prized edibles are made better with the 'mold' - Ever had some awesomely aged cheese? How about that steak that just melted into your mouth? Yup, BOTH of these guys had a nice layer of MOLD covering them before they were shaved/prepared and served. YES, there are some types of mold that are scary mary, but just because it has the word "mold" associated with it doesnt mean its necessarily evil.

I am not telling you what you should do either way, but I would seriously like to get some more info on WHAT kind of mold affects herb. (There are a handful of molds specific to mushrooms and their lifecycles) :D

AGBeer,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
In the 70s, a book called "A Child's Garden of Grass" (it's a collector's item now) described something called Black Merta. This is basically weed that has been deliberately made mouldy, the idea being that the mould was supposed to enhance the potency.

That book was a million seller, and back in the day I knew a few people who tried the Black Merta technique. I'd bet thousands did likewise. I tried a jay rolled from some that was given to me, and I didn't suffer anything from it except gagging from the taste. Nobody I know who tried it had any ill effects aside from the gagging. It tastes awful!

Disclaimer: use at your own risk. I'm not advising you to use it, I'm saying that if you do then based on my experience you'll probably throw up at the taste but otherwise you'll be fine.

No, it didn't make it stronger.

pakalolo,

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Like most anything related to mj, not a lot of "scientific" stuff out there.but I did find a link to some guy who seems to have done some research on the topic.

AGBeer...I don't think anyone was claiming your bleu cheese was bad for you, just that for many mmj users moldy bud should be avoided. An asshat has a much more deeper, huskier sound to it, you're good. :)

Silver420Surfer,

medme

ex-smoker by choice
i think i smoked some of the moldy shit in the 70's,,,,lol... thanks for all your replys,,, its gone now,,, but the memories with live forever,,,, have a great mother's day all you moms out there,, and thanks again for the quick responses .....medme

medme,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom