my mental disorder

crawdad

floatin
i found it amusing to see it being referred to as a disorder, somewhat at least.

http://www.psychiatryonline.com/content.aspx?aID=1248

its from the "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders". i can see where a clinical approach would label it as such (out of order from "normal") but the implied context here of it being bad for you, well...you know.

im wondering when there will be a "Mother In-Law Advice Overdose Disorder" added to the list.

crawdad,

OO

Technical Skeptical
what significant maladaptive behavior do you exhibit?

of the effects listed, the only one i have yet to experience is "impaired judgement", and the rest to a non-significant extent.
at least when evaluated by my peers.

OO,

crawdad

floatin
all of the above, not always all at the same time but yeah. from a non vapor person we likely do appear socially withdrawn at times. depending on how much you take and what you got of course.

"inappropriate laughter", aside from using laughter to hurt someone's feelings i cant imagine laughter ever being inappropriate. its someone outside of the box attempting to describe what is in the box, never going to be accurate. cant be told or shown, must experience.

crawdad,

OO

Technical Skeptical
crawdad said:
all of the above, not always all at the same time but yeah. from a non vapor person we likely do appear socially withdrawn at times. depending on how much you take and what you got of course.

"inappropriate laughter", aside from using laughter to hurt someone's feelings i cant imagine laughter ever being inappropriate. its someone outside of the box attempting to describe what is in the box, never going to be accurate. cant be told or shown, must experience.
to evaluate the inappropriateness, we first have to define what is appropriate.

good luck with that.

OO,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
That excerpt reads like they simply collected every urban myth they could find about marijuana effects.

pakalolo,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
they left out maturity. does seem a bit over-simplified,

they do seem to paint a wicked picture don't they? kind of like a scene from Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas?

they are carefull to say experience increased appetite, but fail to also state the subjects are perjectly capable of not eating

like your post, thanks,

is their scholarly, and pedantic, pursuit perhaps practical prejudice...?

VWFringe,

crawdad

floatin
VWFringe said:
they do seem to paint a wicked picture don't they?

is their scholarly, and pedantic, pursuit perhaps practical prejudice...?

they certainly do, however those who misunderstand tend to jump to conclusions in order to remain solid in their thinking that "their way is the right way".

i sort of went deeper into this, was not sure if i would make sense to explain but will try...

reading this medical book that is referenced by "trained doctors" made me think about those who we refer to as having actual mental disorders, just how do we come to these conclusions so precisely? perhaps im sheltered but every mentally retarded person i have met has always given me the impression they are happier than i am naturally (able to see and appreciate beauty quite naturally) and it usually infects me to be happier myself. apart from them perhaps not being able to function in our version of society the way "the rest of us" do how is this a true disorder? they tend to see the good. (interesting study)

more than the labeling of disorder (differ from normal) i find the assumption that "something is wrong with you" to be the bigger issue. there is certainly nothing wrong with me from my point of view, im a happy person who feels more alive every day i wake up.

the feeling of being misunderstood can be great. not that it fundamentally matters (yet) to me, but still.

crawdad,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
i mean, why not? they already have intermittent explosive disorder.

http://www.psychiatryonline.com/content.aspx?aID=11056&searchStr=intermittent+explosive+disorder

the more shit that they make up, the more chance big pharma has to make a drug for it.

and who gives docs who sell (prescribe) lots of pills free notepads, coffee mugs (plomox anyone?), pens and luncheons?
hmmmmmmm

crawdad, you make a very good point about those who are mentally retarded. My husband lived with and helped care for his mentally retarded uncle while he was living at home and is very close with him. His uncle is always content, has no stress and i feel is generally at peace with his place in the world, and yes, probably happier than the average old guy. He could never function in society, he has the capacity of a five year old. His take on the world is quite interesting, in fact my husband has always said that if he could ever get inside someone's head, it would be his. But there is nothing 'wrong' with him.

it's funny, i'm moderately bipolar and very ADHD and have been for years. was convinced by docs (and most of my family, friends, etc.) that i needed this pill, that pill to take away the side effects of the first one, therapy, blah, blah, blah.

over the last few years, i've been lucky enough to begin learning to live with and moderate my condition, embracing it in a way. My manics tend to be my most creative times, the pills i was given took those away from me and gave me in exchange fun shit like suicidal thoughts, hallucinations (not the fun kind either) and zero motivation or energy.

Now, I use exercise, nutrition, herbal supplements and a few other tricks to help me live with it, plus a very supportive and understanding hubby to help me recognize when i do need more intensive help as bipolar tends to increase in it's severity drastically from something as simple as a poor night's sleep.

The point it, I'm happier and more well adjusted (relatively speaking lol) than i've been in years. I've learned to live around the labels i was given by the DSM so many years ago- i've realized that, really, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH ME! I'm different because i'm me! More accurately, i'm me with a solid understanding of my body's needs and my disorder's symptoms and the tools i need to make those things something positive and controlled.

I can see why some sort of classification system is needed, but some of that stuff is really out there.

herbgirl,

crawdad

floatin
thanks for taking the time to share that, "embracing it"...totally know what you mean. not a bed of roses but at least its you. (didn't mean anything negative by that)

crawdad,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
crawdad, exactly - aint a bed of roses, but i'm going to make me work FOR me dammit! i've been fighting it for too long!

herbgirl,

OO

Technical Skeptical
rabblerouser said:
292.89 is just referring to someone who is currently under the effects.

You might also want to look at:

304.30 Cannabis Dependence
http://www.psychiatryonline.com/content.aspx?aID=1230&searchStr=cannabis

and
305.20 Cannabis Abuse
http://www.psychiatryonline.com/content.aspx?aID=1243&searchStr=cannabis
it's easy to see how many people could misconstrue use to be abuse with a definition like that.

as with anything, a source's opinion only matters as much as you value the source.

it's unfortunate that these definitions are taken so literally.

OO,

crawdad

floatin
im an abuser of peter pan creamy peanut butter and toast was the gateway drug. there should be a disorder called "being normal".

crawdad,

Qbit

cannabanana
Ah yes the evil weed. They missed out how weed also causes nice boys to maturbate uncontrollably and commit violent, even homicidal, acts; and nice girls to seek sexual relations with colored men.

Qbit,
Top Bottom