My Great Vape Experiment - Exercise and Vaping

efex

My great vape experiment

So vapor is the new hype. Its healthier , cleaner, and more efficient compared to smoking.
But does vapor have any effects on the lungs and if so are they positive or negative.
So I've decided to use myself as my own guinea pig and find out.
I by no means am a scientist, or a professional athlete, just an average person,
so before anyone gives any criticisms about my experiment please take a moment to realize that these results are solely for my own curiosity.
I also do realize that keeping this routine + school is going to be very difficult but I'm going to try my absolute best to stay on routine.

What my experiment consists of

A measured administration of vapor into lungs. Very small amount since vaped herb is very potent.
A steady gym routine. 4-5 days a week
Eating habits , about 4-5 small meals a day (being a student might make this one a bit harder)
Sleep , 7-9 hours of sleep each night (might be hard during exam time)

What I want to find

How does the vapor effect my body?
How does it compare to my past experiences of smoking?
How does it effect the progress of my routine?

Vaporizers

Magic Flight Launch Box
Extreme Vaporizer

My gym routine

Day 1
Chest
Bench Press 4x10
Incline dumbbell press 4x10
wide grip pull ups 3-4 sets as many as i can do, these are pretty hard
Chest Fly's 4x12

Day 2
Legs
Squats 4x10
V-Squats 4x10
Leg Extensions 4x12

Day 3
Back
Hammer Pull ups 3-4 sets of as many as i can do
Barbell rows 4x10-12
Wide Grip pull downs 4x12
Chest Dips 4x12

Day 4
Circuit training(this cool mma work out my buddy found)
Bent-over row 6x12
Shoulder Shrugs 6x12
Shoulder Press 6x12
Good Mornings 6x12
Lunges 6x12
Squats Press 6x12
Dead Lifts 6x12

My cardio work outs are usually ice skating / running 2-3 times a week(usually on the weekends)

So the experiment goes as follows

**Fixed**
Week 1 - No vaping, setting a bench mark for my workouts.
Week 2 and 3 - Vaping once either on the last day of my work out or once on saturday
Week 4 No vaping
week 5 and 6 - vaping three times a week (after first/last workout and once on the weekend)
Week 7 No vaping
week 8 - Vaping every day (this week only occurs once because two weeks of this would just burn me out)
Week 9 - No vaping

I'll try my best to post on Fridays / Saturday at the end of my routine.
I'll be documenting my progress in gym, how much weight I did and amount of reps and my general mood throughout the week.

This is my first week back in the gym.

Week 1

Day 1
Bench Press Weight 145lb Reps 10,10,10,8
Decline barbell 100lb 10,10,10,10
Widegrip pull up , 8 , 5 , 5
Chestflys 35lb 12 , 12 , 12 , 12

Day 2
Legs
Squats 145lb reps 10,10,10,10
V-Squats 150lb reps 10,10,10,10
Leg Extensions 60lb reps 12,12,12,12

Day 3
Back
Hammer Pullups reps 9,6,6,6
Barbell rows 75lb 12,12,12,12
Wide Grip pulldowns 60lb 12,12,12,12
Chest Dips reps 12,10,8,8

Day 4
Circut training went well used 55lb and completed the whole circuit.

So my first week went fairly well, this is going to be a good baseline for my experiment.

Week 2

Day 1
Bench Press Weight 145lb Reps 10,10,10,9
Decline barbell 100lb 10,10,10,10
Wide-grip pull up , 8 , 6 , 5 , 4
Chestflys 40lb 12 , 12 , 12 , 12

Day 2
Legs
Squats 145lb reps 10,10,10,10
V-Squats 150lb reps 10,10,10,10

Day 3
Back
Hammer Pull ups reps 10,8,6,6
Barbell rows 80lb 12,12,12,12
Wide Grip pull downs 65lb 12,12,12,12
Chest Dips reps 12,10,10,8

Day 4
Circuit training went well used 55lb and completed the whole circuit again.

So after my second week I defiantly feel the difference,
I seem to be making a lot of progress, I took my first dose of vape
today(Friday) went fairly well, hard to not eat junk food tho :(.
My mood has been great throughout the week and I am defiantly motivated by my improvements.
Alright stay tuned this Friday/Saturday for my results for the week after my first vape session.

If anyone has any suggestions or comments please feel free to post and let me know what you think!

efex,

Konrad_Zuse

Good luck, I hope it works out :). I've been trying to do this too, but I end up vaping daily hahah.

Konrad_Zuse,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
you should also test out holding the hit in vs just breathing it in and out in quick succession. There is some debate over the effectiveness of holding the hit in. I actually have an idea on how to test this, I will post it later after I drop the kids off at school.

DevoTheStrange,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Hanibal Lectin said:
for me,direct draw vape with no cooling or water is worse than smoking
How is this? Due to the fact that its a bit hotter on your throat?

I can agree with this to a degree as my throat gets rather angry when hitting my MZ sometimes, but hooking up a tube helps this dramatically.

But IMO, even if I was vaping the heat source itself, or decided to eat my vape while it was plugged in and at full temp it would STILL be less harmful than combusting ANYDAY.

:2c: And why is it when I am giving my opinion its 2 cents as opposed to advise which is just 1 cent?
(Putting your :2c: in, as opposed to a penny for your thoughts)

AGBeer,

Konrad_Zuse

Hanibal Lectin said:
for me,direct draw vape with no cooling or water is worse than smoking
... How? You're combusting when you smoke which is hotter air and other shit going into your lungs while vaping is much less heat and all that crap is gone, you're basically inhaling air and Cannabanoids.

Konrad_Zuse,

Hanibal Lectin

because the amount that I could take in 1 bong hit would be 15 hot,dry vape tokes so IME it was more irritating than just 1 smoke hit.
I only vape now with cooling.

Hanibal Lectin,

lwien

Hanibal Lectin said:
because the amount that I could take in 1 bong hit would be 15 hot,dry vape tokes so IME it was more irritating than just 1 smoke hit.
15? Wow. You're vape hits must be teeny tiny.

I guess I must be kind odd, because vapor hits has never irritated my throat. But if I hit it thru a bong with just ice, I do find I can take a bigger hit.

But as compared to smoking? I could take 25 hits off of a vape with no irritation, but one hit from my spoon and it burns my throat.

lwien,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
lwien said:
Hanibal Lectin said:

I guess I must be kind odd, because vapor hits has never irritated my throat. But if I hit it thru a bong with just ice, I do find I can take a bigger hit.

But as compared to smoking? I could take 25 hits off of a vape with no irritation, but one hit from my spoon and it burns my throat.
Hanibal - I totally understand where you are coming from. Hit for hit, dry vapor is not as harsh as smoke but after 15+ hits, yeah, your throat can get irritated for sure. It's more so the dry, hot air than the cannabis cause I've taken "phantom" hits with just dry heat and my throat started getting irritated after 20 or so inhalations.

If there weren't a need for a way to make the vapor EVEN more pleasant, then companies like Vaporicer wouldn't exist.

stonemonkey55,

lwien

stonemonkey55 said:
lwien said:
Hanibal Lectin said:

Hanibal - I totally understand where you are coming from. Hit for hit, dry vapor is not as harsh as smoke but after 15+ hits, yeah, your throat can get irritated for sure. It's more so the dry, hot air than the cannabis cause I've taken "phantom" hits with just dry heat and my throat started getting irritated after 20 or so inhalations.

If there weren't a need for a way to make the vapor EVEN more pleasant, then companies like Vaporicer wouldn't exist.
Yeah, I guess I'm the exception to the rule here.

lwien,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
iwien - didn't mean to single you out as I know plenty of people that aren't effected by dry vapor as well but for someone like me.... i dunno if this is a good thing or bad thing, but sometimes I need ice in addition to moisture conditioning my vape to make it more pleasant..... that or maybe i should just take smaller hits... i ain't in college no more!

stonemonkey55,

hereatlast

I find myself coughing still with the vape but nothing like hitting a bong with smoke (I nearly coughed a lung out when I milked up a friend's Illadelph with smoke recently, haven't been smoking at all). At first though I wondered why I would want to filter my vape through water at all, I'm still a bit skeptical as when I've hooked my bong (admittedly a piece of shit) to my Extreme it felt like it was harder to hit, I needed more lung-power; I'll definitely have to try a proper set-up with vapor through glass though.

hereatlast,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I find I only have problems vaping and coughing if I am venturing into the land of ginormous hits. Usually I don't have any problems or soreness in my throat unless I am after them big hits. Then I will normally cough my throat raw. I notice when I cough from vaping is a bit more hardcore than when I cough from smoking. Kinda like I'm trying to hack up the back of my throat.

DevoTheStrange,

The_Other_Shoe

What's Going On?
First off to stay on topic, great experiment, I personally, haven't changed my usage, weekends and just about every other or every third weekday, and I have noticed a great shift in my abilities, mostly conditioning. After starting vaping, just for about 1 month 1 week, I havn't smoked but 1 or 2 times. I ahve been able to run about twice as well on the basketball court since and I am all for the healthier side and believe that vaping is by incredible amounts better for you.

The next topic of harsh/dry hits. I personally only own a PD, I have hit several vapes though. I haven't had the dry/irritated problem, I think it is because I just drink water after every few hits, as needed. I also started vaping with the mouthbong technique after about a week, tremendous help. The first time I ever vaped, the next morning I had an extremely irritated throat, after that though, I learned that water is my friend and haven't had that problem since. again, I don't know about everyone else, but for big hits, I will cycle the PD for a full stem, just inhaling and exhaling with my nose, then add on the next stem if I feel like it. It feels great to have vapor flowing constantly in my lungs for a couple minutes, but after those hits, definitely taking on lots of water.

The_Other_Shoe,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Great thread! I'm not a scientist or pro athlete either but that doesn't stop one from pretending. The daydream seems to be enhanced when vapor is added. Seriously this is a cool experiment, thanks for putting it together and volunteering yourself.

Personally I find that cannabis greatly enhances a workout, and I think this is especially true of vapor. If I had to sum it up in a few words I'd say it helps me focus. I like hitting a bowl directly before the workout, and in the minute between each or every other set. Hydration is important during a workout and I feel that ingesting the bong water after each bowl provides a little something extra to the whole equation.

Little case study: I had a nagging sore back stemming from a number of factors and it didn't appear to be getting better which was troubling. After less than 2 weeks of rehab using the method described above it was completely gone. Sure the exercise alone was key but I feel the vapor played a big part as well. It provided instant motivation-- getting 'in the zone'. The cannabis combined with the endorphins made the pain disappear during the workout which was awesome but at the same time put me very much in tune with my body which made it very easy to tell how far I could push things without doing harm. Light years ahead of traditional pain killers.

Clearly there's a lot of basic research that needs to be done, and undoubtedly, lots of important discoveries to be made. Good luck with your experiment, sounds like you're making good progress, I look forward to following along.

vtac,

efex

Week 3

Day 1
Bench Press Weight 145lb Reps 10,10,10,9 (going to increase the weight next week to 155 and see how i do)
Decline barbell 110lb 10,10,10,10 (gonna increase the weight on this was pretty easy)
Wide-grip pull up , 8 , 6 , 5 , 4 (slowly getting better at these)
Chestflys 40lb 12 , 12 , 12 , 12

Day 2
Legs
Squats 145lb reps 10,10,10,10 (very easy this week gonna increase the weight by 20 pounds)
V-Squats 160lb reps 10,10,10,10
Leg Extensions 60lb reps 12,12,12,12 (my legs were burnt after increasing the weight on vsquats)

Day 3
Back
Hammer Pull ups reps 10,8,6,6 (was rushed to do these so i had about 30 second breaks in between but did fairly well)
Barbell rows 90lb 12,12,12,12 (last one was hard so I might increase the weight a bit)
Wide Grip pull downs 65lb 12,12,12,12 (this seems to be going well will increase the weight next week)
Chest Dips reps 12,12,10,8 (defiantly noticed my increase on this)

Day 4
Circuit training went well used 60lb and completed the whole circuit again this time with more weight (even tho it was only an extra 5lb this really takes it out of me)

So far the experiment is going well, I added 2 more weeks to the experiment. This way I can really see the progress from each week (cant really see the results from vaping once a week if I start vaping 3 times a week right after) So far it seems that once a week really hasn't had a dramatic effect on my workouts I'm increasing as I normally would =] , there is no drop in my energy levels and I felt more refreshed starting my week off. The only problem is the temptation to vape, but once I get to week 4-5 I should be fine ;). As for my cardiovascular workouts , I don't feel a decline at all I am able to maintain the same pace as I normally would.

So that's pretty much it for this week , stay tuned to see the end results of week 2-3 next Friday!

Also thanks to the people who are interested in my little experiment. =]

efex,

efex

Week 4

Day 1
Bench Press Weight 155lb Reps 10,10,10,8 felt like pretty good increase
Decline barbell 120lb 10,10,10,10
Wide-grip pull up , 9 , 6 , 5 , 4 man these are hard
Chestflys 45lb 12 , 12 , 12 , 12

Day 2
Legs
Squats 155lb reps 10,10,10,10 Good increase defiantly going to do more weight next week
V-Squats 180lb reps 10,10,10,10
Leg Extensions 60lb reps 12,12,12,12 felt fairly good this week even tho i increased the weight going to add more next week and see if i can do it

Day 3
Back
Hammer Pull ups reps 10,8,6,4 a little less then last time but decreased my break periods
Barbell rows 100lb 12,12,12,12
Wide Grip pull downs 65lb 12,12,12,12 Instead of increasing I did the same weight as last week went well
Chest Dips reps 12,12,11,8 only did one more then last week =[

Day 4
Circuit training went well used 65lb added a bit of weight surprised that i finished it(did 7 sets instead of 6 this time)

So after 2 weeks of vaping once a week , I've notice no decline in my progress at all. I'm increasing as expected and things are going well. I'm excited to see how well I do with increased vapor usage(just hoping I can get through my midterms without having to change my routine/put experiment on hold).So far the experiment is going great and I have kept my diet and sleeping pattern. So cant wait for next week to post my results(hopefully people are still interested in this experiment still)

efex,

hereatlast

Great that your doing this experiment.

Personally I can't work out after getting high that day (vape or not), I just started lifting weights again 3 times a week (I shoveled for a workout last couple days ;) ) and I feel great, cardio gets covered by biking around the city. I can't feel a difference vaping cause I smoke cigs, gotta stop soon for sure :uhoh:

On vapor's effects on my throat/lungs: I've realized that vapor is more uncomfortable in some ways than smoke. After the first few hits (especially of thick vapor) I'm prone to coughing and my airway constricts (I do have asthma, interestingly vapor seems to flare it up more than smoke), I think that these asthmatic symptoms are due to the hot/dry nature of the vapor. After smoking a blunt for the first time in I don't know how long (I know sacrelig :lol:) I noticed that I coughed a lot more but didn't feel that constriction I do with vapor.

I just ordered a new tube to facilitate vaporbonging, I'm hoping for the best! (Got ice-pinches as well so that should help too)

hereatlast,

efex

Week 5

This is going to be the first week of vaping 3 times each week. So far it doesn't seem to have affected my workout at all.

Day 1
Bench Press Weight 155lb Reps 10,10,10,9 Almost the same only increased by one rep
Decline barbell 130lb 10,10,10,10 defiantly felt the increase here
Wide-grip pull up , 9 , 6 , 5 , 5 Might have to change this to a new exercise as I'm not increasing as dramatically
Chestflys 45lb 12 , 12 , 12 , 12

Day 2
I kept the same weight as last week to see were I am at. I've been really tired due to most of my midterms hitting me this week.
Legs
Squats 155lb reps 10,10,10,10
V-Squats 180lb reps 10,10,10,10

Day 3
Back
Hammer Pull ups reps 10,8,7,5
Barbell rows 110lb 12,12,12,12
Wide Grip pull downs 80lb 10,10,10,10 Decided to drop 2 reps and go up in weight
Chest Dips reps 12,12,10,8

Day 4
Circuit training went well I stuck with 65lb as last week this made me feel a bit off. Went better this time.

So far after vaping 3 times during the week it doesn't seem to have a huge impact on my workout at all. I am increasing at some workouts and plateauing on others(as expected with keeping the same routine). I might have to change up some of exercises so I can get some more gains. So far so good tho , well see what happens next week.

efex,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Although it seems an obtuse combination, last night a friend who is in extremely good shape, a navy veteran, told me that he pressed his hand grips 50 times earlier and that it was very challenging but he did it. I thought about it and thought maybe I could do it, and I'm kind of out of shape. I said "hand grips like these?" "yeah, exactly." "oh I can do that!" "let's see."
I was baked at the time but I managed 40, and that impressed him and that inspired me to go further, maybe join a gym as something novel but beneficial to do when fucked up.
5949hand_exercise_grip.jpg

jeffp,
With those hand grips, clasp a penny between the ends and see how long you can keep from dropping the penny. (Hint: it won't be nearly as long as you think!)

Howie Feltersnatch,

bcleez

It's really hit or miss. Sometimes I'm just too wrecked to properly function in the gym, this is due to all the music, people talking, just the whole gym culture will make me bug out and I can't like count reps or figure out what exercises to do. Other times I have incredible stamina and strength, also partially because I am too wrecked to understand the signals of being tired. Also my short term memory makes me forget that I am tired so I can always do some more

I usually go to the gym no earlier than 2hrs after... Now the big joke in all of this is that my apt complex gym is like.... a 200 yard walk from my front door

bcleez,

sour

The gym scene would be overwhelming when high, but I think a bike ride, hike or swim would be pleasant.

sour,
Top Bottom