Music from the mid 60's to late 70's (when creative genius reigned..)

Trajectory.

Seriously, he's the man. I saw him and Art in a college stadium in '83 and it was one of the best concerts I ever saw in every way. The sound was amazing, it was like listening to a live album from the stands. And the performances were just like you'd expect.

Seriously, you're right. Paul Simon was a towering musical genius.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I agree wholeheartedly with all of you about Paul Simon.
I saw him play The Beacon Theater, NYC, in the days of Call Me Al, and Mayor Ed Koch danced onstage.
Saw a show at the outdoor Jones Beach Theater, and as he finished St. Judy's Comet a shooting star arc'd over the stage, right on cue.
Went to his "final" tour stop at Madison Square Garden, a night to remember (we snuck our 2 Grasshopper vapes in there!).
He actually makes me proud to be from New York.

His Broadway Musical debut, Capeman was a flop; we were fortunate to see it in preview shows and could see some obvious weakness, but all of that was in parts other than the music itself.

Paul was not in the show, but for the album and some promos he did sing some of the songs.
This was the opening song Adios Hermanos, the song of the Capeman doing a "perp walk" as he shuffles off to court, falsely accused of murder.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
First live bona-fide 'rock' group I ever saw was Sly and the Family Stone in 1968 at the Electric Circus in Greenwich Village, an Andy Warhol experience in itself, full time trippy light show.

For my white-bread 17 yr old eyes and ears, it was some serious education happening there.

Their hot single at the time:

Prior to seeing Sly, my point of reference was seeing Jay and the Americans. They played our High School gym.
For the show, they were a trio with a single, acoustic guitar.

Last edited:

coolbreeze

First live bona-fide 'rock' group I ever saw was Sly and the Family Stone in 1968 at the Electric Circus in Greenwich Village, an Andy Warhol experience in itself, full time trippy light show.

For my white-bread 17 yr old eyes and ears, it was some serious education happening there.

Their hot single at the time:

Prior to seeing Sly, my point of reference was seeing Jay and the Americans. They played our High School gym.
For the show, they were a trio with a single, acoustic guitar.
I've never gotten to see Sly--man, that's something else!--he I've loved his music since I was a kid. He really changed the world in terms of funk. If not for Sly, no electric Miles:

"I Cloud 9 when I want to...."

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Allow me to jump out of the 60's-70's, these are a little newer, using players from those old days...
@bulllee, thanks for jump starting my memories this morning!

Here is the one I call the saddest country song ever written (though I know that's debatable!).
Spoiler alert: It almost always brings a tear at the end...

Top Bottom