Modding the SSV...

toxicc

E11001420
I tough about modifying the led on my Da Buddha for a green or blue one. I never looked at the inside of a buddha or ssv and don't want to disassemble it just to see so if anyone know if it would be easy to change the led color on those units then let us know. It looks like it is a white led with an orange plastic cover. thanks

toxicc,

tuttle

On the SSV, the LED mount is secured pretty firmly to the wall with a nut that has been epoxied over, so it would be difficult (but not impossible).

I probably should have posted the following in this thread, but you can see some of the internals in my post (#410 in the thread) in the SSV thread

tuttle,

toxicc

E11001420
Thanks for the info and pictures, i will probably not go with modding the led as it would probably be too much trouble for something that is mostly hidden behind the vaporizer.

Nice idea about a small glass tube covering the the heater, that would cover the small amount of metal that the heater is standing on. It seems good as it is but that would add an additional stealth.

Mod note: posts merged. Use edit button please!

toxicc,

usr/share/vape

I need to buy another vape this week (long story). I currently have a DBV and quite happy with it. However, the SSV has a few features that I'd like to inquire about:

1) The angle of the SSV looks like it would reduce (or eliminate) product from falling out of the whip into the heater. With my DBV, I have to clean the heater occasionally (~ once a week). I suspect most, if not all, of that is from others (wife) mishandling the DBV whip (blowing into the whip slightly without realizing it).

2) Aside from gg sticking issues, gg doesn't look like a good idea for the SSV angle. Looks more like an accident waiting to happen to me. I like the hands free part of the DBV - is the SSV hands-free attachment a PITA?

3) Those fancy knobs on the SSV. Frankly, I prefer the simple knob on the DBV as I can be much more precise with setting it (I have a pencil mark on the body I align to). That blob of glass on the SSV knob looks to be a bit of a best-guess setting. I wonder if I can purchase a plain knob?

cheers

usr/share/vape,

Pseudonymous

Nameless
1) I do not own a Buddha so I do not know, however, herb will never go into the heater cover unless someone blows into the tubing.

2) What is a PITA?

3) I cannot answer your question, but I can tell you that I was a bit iffy on the glass knobs, too, at first. I thought it looked too stand-out and that it didn't suit the vaporizer. Once I got mine, I realized I was wrong. It looks amazing and feels very nice. I never have or never had problems setting the temperature, the blob is accurate enough. I assume that you can just pop off the knob from DBV and attach it to the SSV because I believe the custom knobs for both are the same, but I will let someone else field that. Of note, there's a reason they do not have a temperature scale on the unit. The temperature is dependent largely on the user and how hard they inhale due to the velocity with which the air moves through the heater.

Sorry if all this is too rudimentary to help you, but I have no idea who you are!

Pseudonymous,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
usr/share/vape said:
1) The angle of the SSV looks like it would reduce (or eliminate) product from falling out of the whip into the heater. With my DBV, I have to clean the heater occasionally (~ once a week). I suspect most, if not all, of that is from others (wife) mishandling the DBV whip (blowing into the whip slightly without realizing it).
It'll certainly help , if only because the hole on the heater cover is much smaller. I wouldn't say it's impossible but certainly harder to do then using the hands free.

usr/share/vape said:
2) Aside from gg sticking issues, gg doesn't look like a good idea for the SSV angle. Looks more like an accident waiting to happen to me. I like the hands free part of the DBV - is the SSV hands-free attachment a PITA?
The attachement is a PITA. If you want hands free definetly get the hands free cover. I've had no issue with the wand falling out in mine. But I do use a custom wand so it's a bit longer then the plain jane one. The heater angle and the tubing kind of helps to keep it place in there.

The problem with the attachement is that since the hole on the heater cover is smaller you'll still have to rotate the wand if you want an even cook. What's the point of getting a hands free if you need to rotate to get good performance? I'd save my 15$ or get the gong cover IMO.

usr/share/vape said:
3) Those fancy knobs on the SSV. Frankly, I prefer the simple knob on the DBV as I can be much more precise with setting it (I have a pencil mark on the body I align to). That blob of glass on the SSV knob looks to be a bit of a best-guess setting. I wonder if I can purchase a plain knob?
I've always found it precise enough. In any event a lot can impact dial position. Something as simple as your wand screen getting clogged up , can increase the temperature without changing the dial position due to the slower volume of air going over the herb. Always better to start low and dial it up. Herb quality/type can also impact the position of the dial.

I guess what i'm trying to say is don't overthink the dial position , there's no magic location and a lot can affect where it's best to put it. If you really want precise temp control I would recommend something digital like the extreme or volcano.

cheers

Skunkypete,

Pseudonymous

Nameless
I disagree that the hands-free attachment is a pain. It is what it is. Your imagination doesn't need to be incredible to evaluate this. I always whip it out even if I'm not using it because it can be used to easily adjust the heater cover (sometimes it comes loose and needs to be pressed down, but if your unit is on, it's obvious why this could be problematic).

When I use the hands-free attachment I often do move it. I do not find this to be annoying personally. It keeps the wand in place and I can move the wand very adequately even if I grip so low that I am moving it by having hand contact with the hosing and not the wand. I typically vapourize at my desk with my laptop so I am often multi-tasking to some degree, but despite this, I feel the hands free attachment allows me to be hands free enough to enjoy it and not be pissed off.

Of course, your situation may not be equal to mine. Either way, fifteen dollars is very insignificant to try it out and it's always good to have variety. I will eventually buy the ground glass attachments so I have give it a better evaluation, but even if I love it, I am positive there will be times where I will want to have a more interactive "manual" session and really, when you control everything, I imagine (assuming your technique is adequate) that it will give the best and most diverse range of hits.

Pseudonymous,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
Pseudonymous said:
It is what it is.
True , true. To each his own as they say. I try not speak in absolutes , that one must of slipped by ;)

As the story goes , I bought a buddha first with an extra cover in case of accidents. When i decided to get a SSV i sold the buddha to a buddy but kept the extra cover (and custom wand) to use on the SSV. My opinion the hands free attachment is mostly based on my readings and discussions with other SSV owners. I should've definitely put an IMO in there.

Skunkypete,

Pseudonymous

Nameless
Don't worry about it. IMO is somewhat redundant, I mean, if you're saying it, of course it's your opinion.

Pseudonymous,

smoking Joe

I have the ground glass wand and heater cover. Can be used as hands free, the wand lines up soooo much better with the groung glass heater cover.

smoking Joe,

THC

Daft Vapour
DeepFried said:
for problem number 1 I would like to see all vap makers stop making round picks as you are right they just roll off and usually as in my case with an Extreme it is glass and just smashes. Just make the part you hold with your fingers not round so it can't roll but still easy to pick up off a flat surface even after a couple of bowls.
I use the rubber armbands from EDIT or rubber band will do put all my pokers around my ssv like a puppet show!lol It does scratch the body but u have to get up real close to notice

THC,

RGNSUP

Has anyone bought or seen the bongs on the SSV website that have the perc and splashguard and come in 3 styles? For example, Ice Chamber 2. Do they custom make these? How thick is the glass? Any info would help. Thanks!

RGNSUP,

stinkmeaner

I gotta say it seems like you might be more satisfied with a small beaker or tube bong instead, they are more versatile. Most on here start out with a HVY or Ehle and it seems like they are very satisfied, you can use them as an ice chamber or put water in it, and you can use them with other vaporizer models if you by another down the line.

stinkmeaner,

RGNSUP

I prefer getting one with a perc and those ones from the SSV website looked ideal. I also don't know where to get any EHLE or HVY online.

RGNSUP,

FEAR420

Check the for sale thread man....I have 2 for sale. An ice chamber and a WFCM. Im only selling them cuz I dont have the SSV anymore,but I can tell you that while I did have it,I swore by them. The ice chamber was easy,fast & convenient. Just load it up with some ice,plug your tube in and vape vape vape. Same with the WFCM,just plug the tube in and go.They are made custom for 7th floor. Glass is approximately 3-5MM thick. The WFCM has a nice smooth draw and really does a good job at cooling and moisturizing. The ice chamber is awesome for big chilled hits. Either way,you wont be disappointed with what you get from them...

Hope this helped

Mod note: From the rules page- "No selling or soliciting items on the forum. Exception here, but read the thread rules."

FEAR420,

stinkmeaner

RGNSUP said:
I prefer getting one with a perc and those ones from the SSV website looked ideal. I also don't know where to get any EHLE or HVY online.
I apologize, I thought just meant the plain perc-less Ice Chamber. The tall bongs on the SSV site look to me like cheap import glass but I could be wrong, on the other hand look at the WFCM that Fear420 is selling in the BuySell section, they seem to be pretty nice and they are made in Colorado by the same guys who build the SSV.

If you are looking for HVY or EHLE try Aqua Lab Technologies or Everonedoesit.com which is one of our sponsors I think.

stinkmeaner,

RGNSUP

FEAR420 said:
Check the for sale thread man....I have 2 for sale. An ice chamber and a WFCM. Im only selling them cuz I dont have the SSV anymore,but I can tell you that while I did have it,I swore by them. The ice chamber was easy,fast & convenient. Just load it up with some ice,plug your tube in and vape vape vape. Same with the WFCM,just plug the tube in and go.They are made custom for 7th floor. Glass is approximately 3-5MM thick. The WFCM has a nice smooth draw and really does a good job at cooling and moisturizing. The ice chamber is awesome for big chilled hits. Either way,you wont be disappointed with what you get from them...

Hope this helped
Sent you an email. Pics aren't working in the for sale thread.

RGNSUP,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
stinkmeaner said:
The tall bongs on the SSV site look to me like cheap import glass but I could be wrong, on the other hand look at the WFCM that Fear420 is selling in the BuySell section, they seem to be pretty nice and they are made in Colorado by the same guys who build the SSV.
The tall bongs are definitely chinese "prodo" glass. When they first put them up they were going for 100$. Then suddenly they jacked it up to 250-275$ Crazyness for something that goes for 90$ on GorillaGlass. Anyways at least the stuff they do in house (WFCM and the ice chamber) is much nicer. I love the custom wand they made for me.

Skunkypete,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Yeah i def wouldnt go for any of the perc bongs on the 7th floor sites, big time ripoff. Check everyonedoesit.com (i think, if not google it) for EHLEs as well as diffused downstems for them. Grasscity is there also of course, and you can find some nice stuff on Etsy.

Def check the resell thread here because you'll more than likely find nice glass for less, because its used, and it will get to you a lot faster than ordering from EDIT/GC because they're overseas, or a blower through etsy because sometimes they dont always have stuff made up and you can end up waiting for weeks.

my strong advice is to not get a very big bong for your ssv, or any vape for that matter. I wouldnt go much over a foot. IMO, the smaller the better when it comes to glass pieces for your vape. Those mini (100ml i think) EHLE tubes look really nice for daily driver, 250 wouldnt be bad either..

steiner666,

RGNSUP

Skunkypete said:
stinkmeaner said:
The tall bongs on the SSV site look to me like cheap import glass but I could be wrong, on the other hand look at the WFCM that Fear420 is selling in the BuySell section, they seem to be pretty nice and they are made in Colorado by the same guys who build the SSV.
The tall bongs are definitely chinese "prodo" glass. When they first put them up they were going for 100$. Then suddenly they jacked it up to 250-275$ Crazyness for something that goes for 90$ on GorillaGlass. Anyways at least the stuff they do in house (WFCM and the ice chamber) is much nicer. I love the custom wand they made for me.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if those pieces were made by 7th floor or not. And they don't give any specs on them. I'll just pass.

steiner666 said:
Yeah i def wouldnt go for any of the perc bongs on the 7th floor sites, big time ripoff. Check everyonedoesit.com (i think, if not google it) for EHLEs as well as diffused downstems for them. Grasscity is there also of course, and you can find some nice stuff on Etsy.

Def check the resell thread here because you'll more than likely find nice glass for less, because its used, and it will get to you a lot faster than ordering from EDIT/GC because they're overseas, or a blower through etsy because sometimes they dont always have stuff made up and you can end up waiting for weeks.

my strong advice is to not get a very big bong for your ssv, or any vape for that matter. I wouldnt go much over a foot. IMO, the smaller the better when it comes to glass pieces for your vape. Those mini (100ml i think) EHLE tubes look really nice for daily driver, 250 wouldnt be bad either..
Yeah, I've been searching everyday for the one I want. Wasn't trying to spend over $150, but seems that finding a beaker/straight tube with perc for that price is kind of hard.

I wasn't looking for anything big either. I might just bite it and order an EHLE.

RGNSUP,

stinkmeaner

RGNSUP said:
I wasn't looking for anything big either. I might just bite it and order an EHLE.
You said you were looking for a perc for under $150, Here is a perc for $130, it is a dome perc and not as fancy as some others but vapor is not harsh like smok. http://www.aqualabtechnologies.com/scientific-glass/hvy-glass-38-mm-beaker-with-dome-perk.html
I am not sure if it would be too tall for the Silver Surfer at 14"

Here is a nice thick 5mm Ehle:
http://www.everyonedoesit.com/onlin...m_Ice_Cylinder_Bong__37cm.cfm?iProductID=5921

If you want to save money, many on here like this one:
http://www.aqualabtechnologies.com/scientific-glass/hvy-glass-mini-beaker-3.html

stinkmeaner,

RGNSUP

stinkmeaner said:
RGNSUP said:
You said you were looking for a perc for under $150, Here is a perc for $130, it is a dome perc and not as fancy as some others but vapor is not harsh like smok. http://www.aqualabtechnologies.com/scientific-glass/hvy-glass-38-mm-beaker-with-dome-perk.html
I am not sure if it would be too tall for the Silver Surfer at 14"

Here is a nice thick 5mm Ehle:
http://www.everyonedoesit.com/onlin...m_Ice_Cylinder_Bong__37cm.cfm?iProductID=5921

If you want to save money, many on here like this one:
http://www.aqualabtechnologies.com/scientific-glass/hvy-glass-mini-beaker-3.html
Yeah, I came to realize most good ones with a perc are going to be well over $150. But that HVY you posted looks awesome besides the dome perc. Why would it be too tall for the Silver Surfer? 14" doesn't seem to be big.

RGNSUP,

2clicker

Observer
ive been thinking about modding my dbv with a new base. ive also been wanting to angle the heater cover down a bit. so im thinking of making a base that is angled, pointing the hc down, but also pointing the dial downward possibly making it harder to see.

what kind of material would you use for a base for either and ssv or dbv?

and for those who have ordered knobs for their ssv or dbv... what size is the stem or post?

2clicker,
Top Bottom