Medical Marijuana News Thread

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
Seattle yuup! Heard about the event.. Don't have a doctors recommendation though. I'm under the illegal status but with completely public events such as Seattle hempfest, where thousands join in a downtown park that is miles long filled with everything cannabis, it is hard not to notice a gradual change in the political mindset as well as the citizens. Police walk through the park but nobody was arrested for abything even though people were buying/selling weed (or baked goods), smoking, and just acting super blazed..

Seattle has also decided to stop prosecuting small possession charges because the mayor refuses to spend money to do so. But it is still illegal, and yes you can still be arrested for it but for the most part, Seattle has really relaxed when it comes to marijuana.

Things are not anywhere near perfect in this city but it's surely a step in the correct direction.

HighSti,

lepstadder

Marijuana causes psychosis, schizophrenia...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41859273/ns/health-mental_health/

People who use cannabis in their youth dramatically increase their risk of psychotic symptoms, and continued use of the drug can raise the risk of developing a psychotic disorder in later life, scientists said on Wednesday.
In a 10-year study of links between cannabis use and psychosis, Dutch researchers found that cannabis use almost doubled the risk of later psychotic symptoms.
:mad:

But scientists say it is not yet clear whether the link between cannabis and psychosis is causal, or whether it is because people with psychosis use cannabis to self-medicate to calm their symptoms.
DUH!!

Okay so for the study they picked folks who had never smoked before and and sat back and laughed at how the test subjects got psychotic!! Damn it would be cool to be a doctor

lepstadder,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
Article about ongoing research into cannabis' usage as a pain medication: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20327-cannabislike-drugs-could-kill-pain-without-the-high.html

Seems like they're making the same mistake that others have made before in just isolating 'THC' as the part that does everything: getting you high, giving you pain relief, making you experience 'psychosis' etc. They throw in a CBD mention right at the end, but I wish scientists would spend more time studying the interaction between the different cannabinoids before just trying to make something that the drug companies can market without feeling like they're just selling people weed.

wilf789,

OO

Technical Skeptical
lepstadder said:

People who use cannabis in their youth dramatically increase their risk of psychotic symptoms, and continued use of the drug can raise the risk of developing a psychotic disorder in later life, scientists said on Wednesday.
In a 10-year study of links between cannabis use and psychosis, Dutch researchers found that cannabis use almost doubled the risk of later psychotic symptoms.

But scientists say it is not yet clear whether the link between cannabis and psychosis is causal, or whether it is because people with psychosis use cannabis to self-medicate to calm their symptoms.
DUH!!

Okay so for the study they picked folks who had never smoked before and and sat back and laughed at how the test subjects got psychotic!! Damn it would be cool to be a doctor
i've been trying to find a copy of this study on the internet so that i could check its methodology.
anyone been able to find it?

OO,

Pappy

shmaporist
^ Psychotic symptoms like creating music, art, and great works of literature? Say, I also hear marijuana is a gateway to stronger drugs? We all better listen to "the experts" if we know what's good for us! :rolleyes:

Heaven help us without the experts! :lol:

Pappy,

OO

Technical Skeptical
Pappy said:
^ Psychotic symptoms like creating music, art, and great works of literature? Say, I also hear marijuana is a gateway to stronger drugs? We all better listen to "the experts" if we know what's good for us! :rolleyes:

please don't discredit studies without any basis for disqualification.

OO,

lwien

Pappy said:

I wonder if this attitude towards the "experts" would be the same if their findings were pro-cannabis?

There are studies showing both the pros and the cons but what I find amusing is that those that are anti-mj totally discount those studies that report the pros, and those that are pro-mj totally discount those studies that report the cons.

So let me ask you something Pappy. Do you totally discount the idea that MJ use in young adults raises the chances of mental issues down the road and if you totally discount that idea, than I assume you have access to some long term study that totally disproves that idea?

My view is that we should keep an open mind to both the benefits and the negative affects that can occur with cannabis, for like most things, it too is a double edged sword.

lwien,

Cleanfiend

I am BiPolar II. I have used marijuana daily and have for years. I have an opinion on the subject.

Which came first, for me? Daily marijuana usage for 5 years preceded my first manic episode, but then again, daily orange juice drinking also preceded that said episode. Correlation does not suggest causation!

Cleanfiend,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
Why is it that their doctors are so against it? Purely because there's too little research or are there other factors at play - perhaps they want to avoid the problems inherent in the Californian system?

I'm actually considering moving over to BC to gain some experience in the movement (medicinal and legislative) so if any Canadians can fill in some more info about what effect this schism between doctors and the law is having that'd be great.
I know you have a similar-ish healthcare system to ours, but I can't see any advancement in acceptance of marijuana as anything other than a narcotic for many years to come here.

wilf789,

OO

Technical Skeptical
wilf789 said:
Why is it that their doctors are so against it? Purely because there's too little research or are there other factors at play - perhaps they want to avoid the problems inherent in the Californian system?

I'm actually considering moving over to BC to gain some experience in the movement (medicinal and legislative) so if any Canadians can fill in some more info about what effect this schism between doctors and the law is having that'd be great.
I know you have a similar-ish healthcare system to ours, but I can't see any advancement in acceptance of marijuana as anything other than a narcotic for many years to come here.
the media in england is a riot when it comes to pot, their portrayal is so far from the truth, it's a riot.

OO,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
OO said:
the media in england is a riot when it comes to pot, their portrayal is so far from the truth, it's a riot.

Very true mate and I'm unfortunately well aware of our situation. Times will change here just as they are beginning to in America and Canada, it'll just take longer. Hence my desire to move onto your side of the pond to gain some years experience and help push the efforts over the line, and then move back to the UK when we're ready to help do the exact same thing!

It annoys me that British medical companies are pioneering some aspects of the medical movement (the new inhaler-spray Sativex for example) while at the same time the media completely disregards any pro-marijuana news and the government raises the level of how illegal it is and how long you can go to jail for possession etc.

wilf789,

Purple-Days

Day 1 of 'legal' medical marijuana in Arizona. :party:

Of course there are no dispensaries, and if you want to grow your own it must be surrounded by a solid 10 foot concrete wall (which won't pass code in a residential area) and BTW you have to have been treated by the prescribing doctor for at least one year, and of course they have made a big deal in the Medical Boards that they are going to be watching Doctors prescibing patterns"very closely". If you are 22, or live near a college campus, you "can't possibly have chronic pain..." etc. etc. etc.

And of course all this medical marijuana will cause a drastic increase in the use of recreational dope... :lol: So to protect the children we must do everything possible to keep this scourge bottled up. :bowdown:

Hooray for Medical Marijuana, a big fucking joke... :rolleyes:

Purple-Days,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Just thought that people might be interested to know that the ENTIRE set of laws regarding Canada's Medical Marijuana Access Regulations has been declared constitutionally invalid and thrown out because it was demonstrated in a court of law (Ontario Supreme Court....someone please correct me if I'm wrong on the jurisdiction) that the entire medical profession was inadequately able to deal with patient requests and/or the ability to process applications. As a result, Canada's possession laws and growing laws were also declared null and void as of April 13/2011. The judge gave the government 90 days to appeal (mid July) and stayed his conclusions until July when they become the law of the land.

We are in an election cycle, not voting until May 2, so this is going to be interesting. At the least, our medical ,access laws are going to be loosened :)

Tom

tdavie,

Cleanfiend

I am right with you, Tom. It baffles me how so many rules and regulations exist around an indigenous plant.

In my home state of NJ, the regulations include a 10% cap on THC potency, no rights to grow, and no consideration for chronic pain. Though the state approved medical MJ over 15 months ago, it has yet to be implemented. Sigh....

Cleanfiend,

weedemon

enthusiast
does that mean if you don't have a med license then you still get charged criminally?

They really need to de-criminalize it first, then from there i think we can move forward.

I like the sounds of that toronto star post though!

weedemon,

Nycdeisel

At the very least, in a state where the law has passed, you can make a case in court regarding medical use. much harder to do that in states with no medical laws. either way, for certain states(like NJ) there isnt a huge difference.

Nycdeisel,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
weedemon said:
does that mean if you don't have a med license then you still get charged criminally?

They really need to de-criminalize it first, then from there i think we can move forward.

I like the sounds of that toronto star post though!

Between now and July (let's say the 15th) if you possess or grow without a med license you are liable for criminal charges. If the feds do not respond and amend MMAR to the courts satisfaction then the stayed conclusions will become law (i.e., legal to possess and grow), but we know that is not going to happen. Bets guess is my opinion is that the MMAR criteria will be loosened (slightly), and patients who were denied support of an application (or whose doctor refused to evaluate them at all) will now have another recourse to follow. Don't know exactly what....obviously

But you can f'ing bet that I am going to put pressure on every single candidate in my federal riding over this issue. With 19 days to go until the election it was a nice time for these laws to be struck down.

Tom

tdavie,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Purple-Days said:
Day 1 of 'legal' medical marijuana in Arizona. :party:

Of course there are no dispensaries, and if you want to grow your own it must be surrounded by a solid 10 foot concrete wall (which won't pass code in a residential area) and BTW you have to have been treated by the prescribing doctor for at least one year, and of course they have made a big deal in the Medical Boards that they are going to be watching Doctors prescibing patterns"very closely". If you are 22, or live near a college campus, you "can't possibly have chronic pain..." etc. etc. etc.

And of course all this medical marijuana will cause a drastic increase in the use of recreational dope... :lol: So to protect the children we must do everything possible to keep this scourge bottled up. :bowdown:

Hooray for Medical Marijuana, a big fucking joke... :rolleyes:

I have 2 words for you -

3 Points (aka) Robles Junction ;)

But then again you might find yourself in direct competition with the backpackers making their way from Arivaca.

AGBeer,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
OO said:
lepstadder said:

DUH!!

i've been trying to find a copy of this study on the internet so that i could check its methodology.
anyone been able to find it?

For some odd reason, these reports are rather elusive but here is some of what I was able to scrounge.
Honestly, I think the media is sensationalizing it a little more.

http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/archgenpsychiatry.2011.5
http://schizophreniabulletin.oxfordjournals.org/content/34/5/856.full
http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/abstract/165/4/490
http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/reprint/165/10/1357-a

Im sure these 'examples' merely touch on the subject and leave more questions unanswered than they answer, but Im sure you can find some useful information in there.

AGBeer,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
One has to ask if these so called experts have ever tried the herb themselves; I would say no. They profess to know what it's all about totally without any firsthand experience themselves. There are many so called scientific evaluations that conflict each other. As far as being a "gateway to harder drugs", I think that too is highly exaggerated. Those that resort to harder drugs would most likely have resorted to those drugs regardless of previous MJ use. Ive used MJ for over 44 years and have never once used the harder drugs except for some mushrooms a few times which I don't consider to be a "harder drug". I first came across the herb when I was in Vietnam from 1967 - 1971. This was in fact one of the things that kept me sane and let me decompress. I was at the time, actually bipolar-II but didn't know it. I now know that the bi-polar was a preexisting condition that affected me before my introduction to the herb. As a result of my extended combat tours I have since been diagnosed with PTSD quite some time ago. After returning home from Nam I graduated (3.8 GPA) from Carnegie Mellon University (Pittsburgh) with a masters in materials science with a minor in mathematics. I could have easily gone for my doctorate but became somewhat bored and wanted to get on with my life and enter the workforce in basic and applied materials research. I did all of this while consistently using the herb on a daily basis. Yea, the herb made me complete "stoner", NOT. How could a stoner and so called drug user/abuser achieve a masters in the sciences, and all of this while being bi-polar and having PTSD. Again, the herb helped me instead of causing problems in cognitive processes. I am currently on medication for my problems to alleviate the effects of the bi-polar and PTSD/panic attacks. Those medications cause some pretty significant side effects. I of course still use my medicating herb, now vapeing with an MZ for over a year instead of smoking and get more relief from my symptoms than from the prescribed meds and have absolutely no side effects from my herb that I can detect. This (Indica) is extremely effective in alleviating the PTSD and high anxiety. My mental acuity certainly hasn't been negatively affected over the years of herb use. I would pit my mental powers and academic prowess against anyone out there, especially those so called experts. I am now retired and have started writing a "unified field theory" paper titled The Grand Dynamic Geometric Theory, working with metric tensor calculus, and non-neutonian geometry. Some of this work has been completed while being medicated with my herb actually providing me with some profound insights specifically concerning asymptomatic parallelism. Let those so called experts put that in their pipes and smoke it, but of course they wouldn't for fear of it leading to hard drugs, ha ha. If I sound like Im tooting my own horn, I sincerely apologize. I'm sorry for the long verbose post, but I have such strong feelings concerning the subject. :2c:

Lycanthrope,

Purple-Days

Arizona Day One Update. The state received 110 Medical Marijuana Card applications yesterday, the first day you could apply.

They promptly denied 66 and accepted 44 . If you are keeping score, that's 110 Medical Doctor recommendations and 60% denied by a State officials who know better... 66 vs. 44... That's a loss on any scoreboard.

My question would be, "What M.D. in his right mind is going to play against those odds? And how many are going to put their name on that piece of paper, knowing the State is looking at every potential MM user and every recommending physician as a bunch of dope fiends?"

:lol: Medical Marijuana (a political issue, not a medical one) is a joke. :2c:

Purple-Days,
Top Bottom