Mason Jar BHO Method?

Bouldorado

People have reported doing multiple hour butane soaks using a thermos instead of a jar. I've yet to try this method with fresh material. Works great to extract the remainder from once ran bud in an extraction tube.

Another option is putting the mason jar in an ice bath. I've used this method with both dry ice and crushed "wet" ice, mostly because I didn't have a thermos handy. Dry ice kept the butane extremely cold- actually too cold, since yield was disappointingly low. Crushed ice seemed to be the best option: I would fill a small cooler with crushed ice cubes, then partially submerge the jar. Pull it out in 30min-1hr and you're good to go.

Bouldorado,

thebreadsticks

No because the extraction tube uses pressure/solvent to remove the goodies correct?? I dont see anyway of blasting into a tube and pressurizing it. Using the 2 jar methon you use one to blast into while your herb is in another jar pre dried/frozen then conjoin the two. If done at extreme cold "dry ice" helps with this ive found only 3 filters are needed and its complete shatter no wax 100% see through. The key sense its much more gentler because your not using pressure just the butane as a solvent you let it sit. Ive compared yields and i can achieve around 2-5% more with less wax this way. Plus you can get some extremely large jars making larger runs a breeze ;)
I feel like when blowing through a tube, the pressure really only hits the first bit of bud, and soaks through the rest.

thebreadsticks,

z9

Recently I have been experimenting with the mason jar method and iso; basically I just follow up my mason jar soak with a single iso quick wash and combine. Why should I just pour the iso into my dish when I could wash my buds with it? Many have reported a different high with QWISO and BHO, so why not combine it?

A few weeks ago I did my first trial with once ran bud and my results were decent but i think I have straightened my method out. I accidentally soaked my iso for too long, the resulting oil is not good to dab but is great in the vape. I will try a run with fresh buds this weekend.

I fill a cooler with crushed ice and fill my mason jar with butane, dump in my buds and allow it to soak for about 30 or 45 minutes. I then filter the butane through a brown coffee filter and pour it into the butane into a glass jar or bowl. Next I pour my iso (which has been in the freezer for at least 6 hours) into the jar of butane soaked buds and wash for about 10 seconds, then quickly strain into a dish and further filter with a coffee filter. I then combine the iso into the jar/bowl of butane and filter again if I feel it is necessary. Next I double boil the liquid in my pyrex dish around 160F until all the butane and iso has evaporated, scrape and test.

This method allows the butane to easily evaporate, increases yield and provides a more complete extraction (IMO, as I have no science to back this up). Obviously everclear could be used, I just can't buy it in my state.

I just wanted to share my technique and see what other's have to say about it.
And hopefully others can share pics of their BHOQWISO (yeah I just coined that term). I will have pics coming this weekend; hopefully Sunday.

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
If you want to get it even colder, you can add ice and salt together. According to wikipedia, "The mixture of salt and ice allows a transition to liquid water at a temperature significantly lower than the standard freezing point of water". I did this and added a couple of beers to cool them really quickly.

Anyways I did a run yesterday using this method again. 'tane in the jar, put my frozen buds in, let it chill for a bit, once the butane was evaporated I added 91% ISO and strained that, leaving me with a sappy little patch of amber clear goodness. Froze the buds after the butane evaporated, then did a 10 second 91% ISO, evaporated that, but kept them separate.

The sap was fantastic, the 91% does feel different though.

Quetzalcoatl,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

Trever

Ive noticed using the a polar solvent after using butane works really well for edibles/topicals but im only letting the tane sit in with my material for roughly 10-20 minutes with no agitation. Then directly remelting in the same mason jar with everclear to go directly into winterizing. Comes out 100% seethrough and stable everytime really really smooth to.

Top Bottom