1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Marijuana Isn’t a Pain Killer—It’s a Pain Distracter

Discussion in 'The Vapor Lounge' started by weedemon, Dec 21, 2012.

1. weedemon

weedemon enthusiast

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/sci...e-nature (Science & Nature | Smithsonian.com)

That makes sense to me. I think i would agree with that for me when I've tried to use it for that reason.

FrogBoy138 likes this.
  2. Vicki

Vicki The Bionic Woman

I disagree with this study. Cannabis does more than distract me from my pain. It helps my inflammation and pain physically. I can move my joints easier after a vap session. It also keeps me from puking a lot. That's physical, not mental.

madnezz344, ShipDit, t-dub and 3 others like this.
  3. caseball2051

caseball2051 Well-Known Member

I think for some people it can do that, but for others like Vicki there are definitely real world health benefits.

And real or imaginary, if it fixes your problem, it fixes your problem.

Vicki and smokum like this.
  4. Your Highness

Your Highness Cannasseur

This study only focuses on THC and doesn't mention any of the other canabinoids present in the plant. Not only that, but we are just beginning to understand how they interact with each other and how that effects us. So much more to learn about this great plant. I suffer severe back pain at times due to a herniated L 5 (dead lifting accident) and I do believe that the plant has anti inflammatory properties. I certainly can move much better after a session and the pain seems to lessen in intensity.

t-dub, luchiano and Vicki like this.
  5. weedemon

weedemon enthusiast

I know in the past when I have burned myself cooking i have toked up to try and relieve the pain, and like they said it distracts me, but doesn't really make it hurt any less for me in this instance.

fir different issues, they are difference uses. i wont argue that. but from my experience this felt accurate.

6. caseball2051

caseball2051 Well-Known Member

a burn is a different type of trauma than something that would require an anti inflamatory like a sore shoulder or back.

I think youre article has some truth, but so do many others describing its pain relieving qualities

t-dub, weedemon and Vicki like this.
  7. djonkoman

djonkoman Well-Known Member

it also makes sense to me, if I vape to relieve a headache if I have the flu, the headache is still there somewhere but I kind of forget about it, am more easily distracted from it by doing something(like watching tv)

8. Roger D

Roger D Vapor Wizard

Yeah, and it is CBN who's supposed to be the analgesic. It is real and it works. But you need good amounts. They should study on heavy users. I see a future with real medicinal breeds. Now it is like THC THC THC it sucks

Your Highness likes this.
  9. luchiano

luchiano Well-Known Member

That's true, but the skin is on the outside of the body so they should have tested people who used balms or at least eaten the cannabis with the proper fatty foods so the cannabinoids can go to the skin through the lymphatic systme and do it's thing. Just testing people by giving them a tablet, very little thc will go where it needs to go in proper doses, so of course they will just feel less pain as opposed to actually blocking it, which a whole extract or pure bud may do with the right foods, i.e., nut's, seeds, or avocados.

weedemon and Your Highness like this.
  10. weedemon

weedemon enthusiast

this started a great conversion. thanks all! :) great insights

momatik likes this.
  11. wootze

wootze Well-Known Member

In my case, Parkinson's disease, pain reduction is the result of muscle relaxation.
    The actives also help with dopamine production and reception, making movement
    more controlled, less fatiguing. Tremors are reduced markedly.

The list goes on and is anecdotal but it is far more effective than l-dopa without
    the daunting side effects.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors