Marijuana and depression and anxiety

cptofnthng

As a standalone "treatment" it seems a very bad idea, because it generally supresses emotions, which are the way to get out of it.

Yes, all emotions have a reason and need to be felt and understood. Your body is telling you something important with emotions.

Therapy means a very disciplined introspection of ones experiences, which includes emotion and cannabis mostly interfers with the processes.
This is coming from a user and a therapists perspective combined.

PeteyS

Hi there, just thought id post on the topic.
I have also suffered from medium to severe social anxiety pretty much my entire life.
I have never been on any anti depression medicine, but have gravitated towards cannabis as soon as I found it(age 14.)
I find that it works so well for some of my symptoms (Racing thoughts, and not being able to sit down and relax), but for the social anxiety I stick with Cbd flower and tinctures. 50mg doses, every 4 hours. If I need extra I'll throw in a 75mg dose. Little to no side effects, long term side effects have not been studied enough yet.

Another thing I have found with cannabis , specifically cannabis with THC in it. You need to really watch how much you intake daily, as well as how potent the flower your using is. 30% thc/gram is just insane amounts of medicine for anyone. Use cbd flower and try to use less thc flower. And, try to look at less potent strains.

If you plan to use cannabis as a medicine, you need to treat it with respect. Just like any other drug.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Abstinence has been known to help "snap" me out of bouts of downward spiraling depression in the past... but often I think it's more the change in routine and being committed to something/seeing it thru that helps the most by (maybe) giving me another point of view and other things to think about and focus on while also making me feel more in control and ultimately better about my myself. However, after all these years, I've learned for sure that cannabis isn't the root cause of these issues (cuz it also usually helps), and that it may, if I allow it, only serve to prolong them thru hiding and not addressing them.

Cannabis helps me with so many other things, like slowing me down to be similar to that of "normal" humans, for instance, which looking back, is the main reason I fell in love with it in the beginning. My use has ALWAYS been primarily about the medicine and waaay less about the euphoric "high" feeling, or the built-in likeminded group of "friends" it can provide.... even when I was too young to realize it.

I don't think I'd ever want to quit permanently, nor do I think most others near me would want that either.... BUT who knows 🤷, I do try to remain "open" about pretty much everything...:tup::peace:

Last edited:

bellona0544

Weed is tricky with depression, and especially so if you are someone who has problems with dopamine production (ADHD for example).

It can be massively beneficial. Anecdotally, when I am having a rare panic attack or am in a bad anxiety spiral during a depressive episode, herb is insanely helpful at getting me out of my head enough that I can start to use my many, many other coping skills. A big hit basically acts like a "reset button" for my brain. I also find that sustained highs are great at keeping me uplifted, upbeat, and sometimes up to no good.

It also can be deeply dangerous. I have known several people who have started self-medicating with THC instead of seeking other forms of treatment, and they often wind up stagnant, caught in the depressive episode for a few years. Self-medication can be great, but when you use THC to substitute for actual dopamine production and then don't do anything to change your long-term situation or address underlying mental health concerns, it often acts like a band-aid that you keep slapping on an open brain wound. It is a treatment but it is rarely the treatment.

The medical science appetite for THC is clearly high, though, and I imagine our understanding of THC and the many terpenes found in marijuana will improve a tooooon in the next few years.

Radwin Bodnic

It can be massively beneficial. Anecdotally, when I am having a rare panic attack or am in a bad anxiety spiral during a depressive episode, herb is insanely helpful at getting me out of my head enough that I can start to use my many, many other coping skills. A big hit basically acts like a "reset button" for my brain. I also find that sustained highs are great at keeping me uplifted, upbeat, and sometimes up to no good.

It also can be deeply dangerous. I have known several people who have started self-medicating with THC instead of seeking other forms of treatment, and they often wind up stagnant, caught in the depressive episode for a few years. Self-medication can be great, but when you use THC to substitute for actual dopamine production and then don't do anything to change your long-term situation or address underlying mental health concerns, it often acts like a band-aid that you keep slapping on an open brain wound. It is a treatment but it is rarely the treatment.

Anxiety and depression are two different things. While THC is an anxiolytic, it is also a depressant. In my experience it is definetly not the main factor of a depressive state but it can certainly maintain it.

Yes, all emotions have a reason and need to be felt and understood. Your body is telling you something important with emotions.

Therapy means a very disciplined introspection of ones experiences, which includes emotion and cannabis mostly interfers with the processes.
This is coming from a user and a therapists perspective combined.

I'm pretty sure you're familiar with gestalt therapy, aren't you ?

bellona0544

Different things but often interconnected. I do not feel that THC prolongs depressive states, and I apologize if that is what was implied. Rather, I feel that exclusively using THC to self-medicate rather than doing deeper therapeutic work and/or finding appropriate medications will not typically move someone out of a depressive episode they are already in. It is a stopgap, and it is effective, but THC alone will not cure a depressive episode.

ayguistoi

It's tough, especially when you've been dealing with these feelings for so long. I'm not a pro, but from what I've learned, it seems like our bodies are trying to tell us something. Maybe it's time for a change, you know? Recognizing the addiction to cigarettes is huge. As for tips, have you ever considered therapy? It's been a game-changer for me. Plus, understanding the root causes of your depression and anxiety might help break that cycle.
Also, taking breaks to detox sounds like a solid plan. It's all about finding what works for you. It's another piece of the mental health puzzle that affects a lot of folks dealing with anxiety and depression. I found this link that might have some helpful info: restore-mentalhealth.com. Hang in there, friend. We're all figuring this out together.

I've struggled with depression since I was a child, with one episode lasting a decade or more. I had some anxiety, but it really came roaring out a few years ago. I have treatment resistant depression but do better with some medication. It flattens out my emotions but keeps the suicidal thoughts at bay. After a 4+ year stretch of some particularly bad symptoms I am now largely better. I am not sure why, but I give at least some credit to marijuana. I was also doing therapy before and after this. It is hard work but very helpful. I had not been a regular user for about 40 years, partaking maybe 2-3 times a year. I started near daily smoking in late December and by the end of January noticed that I was getting better, which I did not expect as I was smoking purely for enjoyment. I am not sure why that is but my theory is that my brain had forgotten what happy or joyful was like and the weed re-taught it. Neuroplasticity is a wonderful thing.

Once I noticed this and decided to keep it in my life, I discovered vaping and was thrilled to leave combustion behind. It is definately not the only reason that I am in remission but if it helps, I am all for it. I do only have 1-2 bowls (ovens?) in the evening.

@cptofnthng I have found that some strong Indica is good for introspection. In with the tangle of other thoughts, I have gained some good realizations that later fed into my therapy.

Have faith in yourself everyone. With time and work you can get better.

Top Bottom