Marijuana and depression and anxiety

Baron23

@Baron23 back in the 70's I was living on the beach in HAWAII.
If I died today I had a good life!

If I don't die today it's a bonus.
Each day is amazing to me.

CANNABIS keeps me CIVILIZED
Back in the 70's I was living in Daytona Beach. All the surfers were down at the inlet...Ponce DeLeon and New Smyrna. Then I went in the USAF to fly fast movers. I agree...been a damn good life, but I want more!

By the by, I have a movie I was given about the start of BIG wave surfing...going way back in the day. Northern CA (can't remember the name of the beach but the place was deadly) and of course HI.

Cheers

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Back in the 70's I was living in Daytona Beach. All the surfers were down at the inlet...Ponce DeLeon and New Smyrna. Then I went in the USAF to fly fast movers. I agree...been a damn good life, but I want more!

By the by, I have a movie I was given about the start of BIG wave surfing...going way back in the day. Northern CA (can't remember the name of the beach but the place was deadly) and of course HI.

Cheers
I know a lot of PRO'S in the SURFING WORLD. (from any landmass that had a SEA).
My parents lived in KAILUA and I on the NORTH SHORE.
I took everything for granted!
SURFED DIAMOND ROCK back in the day! (KANEOHE AFB)
I really thought everyone enjoyed life as I did?
Now finally I'm down to EARTH? (got sick)

When I was active no DEPRESSION or ANXIETY!
I fight it daily. (these dazs)

I FUCKING say bat shit crazy shit!

Really I mean no harm!

However growing 4 foot COLAS is pretty fun!

grokit

well-worn member
a movie I was given about the start of BIG wave surfing...
Was it riding giants?

Riding_Giants_M236086.jpg

Great flick :tup:

:popcorn:

grokit,
Reactions: ataxian

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I find marijuana makes everything more enjoyable, so I alternate pleasure and chore all day weekend long and just little tiny bowls to keep a buzz. I really don't mind washing dishes high. lol
My wife is the ALPHA and makes the $.
OK to me I'm OK with it.
Re-programing my thoughts helped with DEPRESSION/ANXIETY

FREE THINKING is KEY!

CANNABIS I can't do without?
VAPORIZING is very tasty!

I keep the kitchen clean. (that is my job!)

One of my son's living the life I once had?

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
My wife is the ALPHA and makes the $.
OK to me I'm OK with it.
Re-programing my thoughts helped with DEPRESSION/ANXIETY

FREE THINKING is KEY!

CANNABIS I can't do without?
VAPORIZING is very tasty!

I keep the kitchen clean. (that is my job!)

One of my son's living the life I once had?
I was a cook for over twenty years. Even I have the energy and strength, I cook and clean the kitchen for is. But I stiffer from chronic fatigue.

Diggy Smalls,
Reactions: ataxian

Baron23

Was it riding giants?

Riding_Giants_M236086.jpg

Great flick :tup:

:popcorn:
YES, INDEED!! :nod::clap::tup:

This is some kind of great documentary film. With the greats like Laird Hamilton, Greg Noll, and Jeff Clark. I'm not a surfer and at 64 I doubt its a sport I will pick up (LOL) but I learned LOT from this film including that some of these guys were just plumb loco!

@ataxian - if you have not seen this, order it online. Hell, you probably know 1/2 the people in it.

Ok, sorry...way off topic. I will stop now.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
YES, INDEED!! :nod::clap::tup:

This is some kind of great documentary film. With the greats like Laird Hamilton, Greg Noll, and Jeff Clark. I'm not a surfer and at 64 I doubt its a sport I will pick up (LOL) but I learned LOT from this film including that some of these guys were just plumb loco!

@ataxian - if you have not seen this, order it online. Hell, you probably know 1/2 the people in it.

Ok, sorry...way off topic. I will stop now.
I know the guy's in the film plus I own it!
In HAWAII we surfed very tall waves without leashes.

We smoked joints all day long with no seeds or stems.
Never learned how to use a BONG?
ANXIETY and DEPRESSION was not an option!

Walt D.

Hello people,
I think everyone should quit smoking cannabis and start vaping it for health reasons. I got a vape about a month ago and was smoking it previously. Smoking it gives you the high notes but burns up the low notes. This high note thing is what causes its slight addictiveness. Vaping reintroduces the complete balance and makes it much less addictive, though also much more sedative. It seems almost magickal that the high/low notes of it are correlated to high/low temperature.

Anyway I got an Enano vape with a variable temp dial and did it apparently too low for a month. My endocannabinoid system became too prominent and I got a bit depressed. I think what you have to do besides trying different strains is to try different temp settings on the vape because there is a spectrum to it. Doing it too low for a month made me too down, probably too much GABA.

My real main point is to suggest trying hydrogen peroxide for depression. Get some food grade which you have to buy online and try it. It is super duper for pain and inflammation and I think for depression as well because it floods the body with oxygen which drives your energy levels, etc. I took 1/4 tsp 2x daily of the 3% and after a month felt like a new person. This is equal to the starting does of 1 drop of 35% 2x daily. It cleared me out of everything holding me back (a viral overload?) and clears your head quite nicely.

This along with a vegan diet preferably should do wonders for most people. I enjoy sobriety except for at night now when I enjoy vaped cannabis, etc.

Alexis

Food grade hydrogen peroxide, hmmm. Never heard of this but now I am going to research it. Thanks for the information and congratulations on your 1st post @Walt D.

:tup:

H2O2 is the best remedy for knocking out an ear infection very quickly and with no side effects. It is also used as a remedy to cleara head cold or new virus before it moves downwards and sets in, if you catch it early.

Like most things I am unable to take it internally. But I have a dropper bottle in my room and I put drops into my ears 3 drops on each side lying down for several minutes each does absolute wonders for bringing down infection symptoms in my sinuses head and throat.

I can feel when I need to do it and it brings instant and substantial relief and really perks and freshens you up from that feeling you have where all you want to do is get in bed.

However if you are taking hydrogen peroxide internally keep in mind that it will destroyed intestinal Flora so it would be good to replenish this with a decent probiotic source.

Alexis,
Reactions: steama

wall

Sorry I'm late to this thread but this is a great thread, I've had a lot of highs that make my anxiety and depression worse, like one minute I'm doing great and relaxing and the next, BOOM I'm having shitty thoughts. I've actually started documenting it and want to start a blog soon about my journey with it. Here is my opinion for me, I'm sensitive to THC, I have to be careful but building up my tolerance has also helped. So what I would like to do is get my hands on high CBD strains and find out where the right amount of THC to CBD ration helps me most to feel euphoric but not over the edge. I realize not everyone can get high CBD strains as its not really the most in demand but I'm excited to get some and start testing! Sorry I could rant on this topic because its dear to my heart but I'll leave it at that till I start blogging or just testing more

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
I dunno why, but my post missed something... so edit mode!

@Walt D. care to explain what you're calling 'addictive'?

Hello people,
I think everyone should quit smoking cannabis and start vaping it for health reasons. I got a vape about a month ago and was smoking it previously. Smoking it gives you the high notes but burns up the low notes. This high note thing is what causes its slight addictiveness. Vaping reintroduces the complete balance and makes it much less addictive, though also much more sedative. It seems almost magickal that the high/low notes of it are correlated to high/low temperature.

Anyway I got an Enano vape with a variable temp dial and did it apparently too low for a month. My endocannabinoid system became too prominent and I got a bit depressed. I think what you have to do besides trying different strains is to try different temp settings on the vape because there is a spectrum to it. Doing it too low for a month made me too down, probably too much GABA.

My real main point is to suggest trying hydrogen peroxide for depression. Get some food grade which you have to buy online and try it. It is super duper for pain and inflammation and I think for depression as well because it floods the body with oxygen which drives your energy levels, etc. I took 1/4 tsp 2x daily of the 3% and after a month felt like a new person. This is equal to the starting does of 1 drop of 35% 2x daily. It cleared me out of everything holding me back (a viral overload?) and clears your head quite nicely.

care to explain the 'addictive' part of this statement?
This along with a vegan diet preferably should do wonders for most people. I enjoy sobriety except for at night now when I enjoy vaped cannabis, etc.

Last edited:
looney2nz,

Ricardo

Vaping the right strains at the right temperatures in the right quantities can be very beneficial for depression, anxiety, stress etc. but NOT for a whole range of psychotic disorders. I have seen at least 2 friends deteriorate mentally and know of many others. Weed is not for everyone. If anyone has mental issues they should speak with health professionals.
The release of different cannaboids at different temperatures is fascinating and true, but very difficult to fine tune. The range of metabolisms, personalities, strains and strengths, dosages, inaccuracies in temperature control on various vapes makes it very difficult to dose precisely, especially where weed is illegal and unregulated (like here).
When I first started vaping I had the Davinci Ascent and pretty much followed the instructions booklet. Now I use Vapcaps which has removed the (pseudo) science from my regime. There's a tricky enough learning curve but it's a natural, intuitive way of vaping. You learn how many hits of what variety you want/need in any given situation. Plus you can enjoy weed (remember enjoy?) without keeping detailed records. You get a feel for it. Great for old time stoners and people switching from joints, not so good for hi-tech fans who like to control their devices via Bluetooth from their smartphones or watches. :2c:

asdf420

As someone who does not know much about my own ailments because I have not gotten diagnosed with anything as I don't want to give myself reasons to fall back on to get into an ugly mess of playing victim, I feel that self expression should be part of a healthy lifestyle.
i lack this, maybe as i have been shunned, then decided to just hole up. shit's all fucked. i've also just been too fucking lazy to be someone worth listening to? is that it? i don't communicate well, so i give up. i seem to give up with everything. no shit, depressed lol. maybe it's caused by a weird thought pattern, though

Substitute weed for tobacco and that sentence mirrors my experience with overdoing the vape (daily, 2g from morning until sleep). In fact, just not vaping all day has made me feel like a completely different person. I think alot of my ailments are actually caused by the weed, that I think weed cures, but like alot of people, weed cures symptoms of withdrawal, and it becomes a vicious cycle. The storey of my life.
same..

feel pretty good now, high. then the comedown will help me sleep. but, i dunno. it used to be that i got sedated yet still feel really not good, even with sativa strains. so i take more.. and then i can't do shit. often still not high enough, but stoned. or if high, i get racing thoughts.
but now it's often better. a decent high for a little while. Then it's just laziness for most of the time. then really bad moods?

it doesn't help much with how unmotivated i am with everything already, though. i wish i was getting the same sort of effects Squiby raves about. maybe i just need to try low tolerance microdoses for real, with some actual good sativa that isn't months old

meditation and trying to avoid vaping weed too much/too often seems to help

Last edited:

biohacker

meditation and trying to avoid vaping weed too much/too often seems to help

Too much/too often is the big one for me, but things have also changed/improved since quitting vaping flowers, and switching to exclusively concentrates. I think the difference has been equal to, or greater perhaps than switching from combusting flowers to vaping flowers IME.

This along with a vegan diet preferably should do wonders for most people.

I guess I must be fucked on my Carnivore all animal products diet then! :rofl:

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Anxiety patients please look into turmeric with curcumin to supplement with your cannabis, it is an anti-inflammatory that has helped me tremendously. I don't know if it will help with depression as I don't suffer from those symptoms, but perhaps feeling less anxious would help with feeling depressed about the anxiety too. It's a reasonably priced supplement, and safe to take daily.

Alexis

Good shout @psychonaut . Also very very worth considering- SALT! There is a very strong direct link between depression and anxiety and INSUFFICIENT salt intake.

We have been pumped full of misinfornation about salt. We need a lot more salt than 6 grams a day. 8 to 10 grams minimum.

But crucially- we need the right type of salt. Unrefined. Refined table salt is POISON to the body. It wil unquestionably directly contributes to depression by causing havoc in the body instead of providing it with the most vital essential substance next to water, in the whole, natural, energetic form it is provided by nature designed to fit our bodies like a key.

So the majority of people do not get any natural unrefined salts at all and have no comprehension of the difference between that and the white poison in the kitchen cupboards which bring their children up in the majority of cases.

And then there is the- A"SALT" of the alien poison.
Now it is such a vital requirement for good health to supply the body with sufficient quantity of healthy salt. I have come across much material linking inadequate salt intake to depression and anxiety as well as many other conditions and aspects of health.

Anybody who shows any interest in improving their diet and lifestyle with simple approaches that pay off hugely practically the first things I try and emphasize are to remove from the diet than man-made, refined artificial fats and salts which are so health damaging and to replace them with the natural unrefined forms.

This should be taught in school and on the news. Such important basics when it comes to health. I try to enlighten on this and I sorely hope somebody here may benefit if they look into this.

If you are interested I made some posts elsewhere sharing my experience at finding the best quality salt for my body after having various types and brands tested over the years.

Redmond real salt is my top recommendation. For more info:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/h...-growth-inside-percolator.26140/#post-1260623
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/h...h-inside-percolator.26140/page-2#post-1261394

Happy Saturday everyone. Positive vibes to all those battling depression hope you have a nice and relaxed weekend.:)

btka

scientifically I have heard there is no (genetic) difference between sativa and indica...
but non the less I think to much sativas can make you depressive... I try to mix in indicas and sometimes do not use sativas...

and of course if you consume too much this could also be the reason

“All things are poisons, for there is nothing without poisonous qualities. It is only the dose which makes a thing poison.”

Paracelsus

Last edited:

hans solo

Left coast Canada
Too much too often is definitely a factor but I find that Temperature plays a big role in the overall characteristics of the herb I vape indica at 338^ Which really mellows out the overall effect.

shredder

scientifically I have heard there is no (genetic) difference between sativa and indica...
but non the less I think to much sativas can make you depressive... I try to mix in indicas and sometimes do not use sativas...

and of course if you consume too much this could also be the reason

“All things are poisons, for there is nothing without poisonous qualities. It is only the dose which makes a thing poison.”

Paracelsus

Last I looked there were 70+ cannabinoids in cannabis, plus perhaps dozens of terpenes. The ratios of all those plus the methods of using the same are all factors in the cannabis experience. I know of two friends who exclusively use sativas for anxiety, and one who uses for depression.

Most people recommend sativas for anxiety and depression. But not all sativas are equal in effects. Some are much more uplifting than others. Research can help, but in the end it's a personal thing as to what works best. I would look at sativas that have a lemon or lime like taste because of those types of terpenes, and then go from there.

And CBD's can be a real help. In my experience they make everything more upbeat. Personally I take most of my CBD's in cannacap form, but vaping high cbd herb is quicker and just as effective. Don't be surprised if you don't feel much, it's more like an absence of other negative things, than something you feel. Does that make sense?

And advice to micro dose is spot on. More may not be better. And you don't have to feel high for there to be a significant medical effect. If your "too high" you can mentally fight the high and that in itself can stress yourself. Lots of people just go with the flow when over indulging, but that doesn't work for everyone. Especially those new to mj.

Lots of good advice in this thread, I'm sure something will click.

btka

Last I looked there were 70+ cannabinoids in cannabis, plus perhaps dozens of terpenes. The ratios of all those plus the methods of using the same are all factors in the cannabis experience. I know of two friends who exclusively use sativas for anxiety, and one who uses for depression.

Most people recommend sativas for anxiety and depression. But not all sativas are equal in effects. Some are much more uplifting than others. Research can help, but in the end it's a personal thing as to what works best. I would look at sativas that have a lemon or lime like taste because of those types of terpenes, and then go from there.

And CBD's can be a real help. In my experience they make everything more upbeat. Personally I take most of my CBD's in cannacap form, but vaping high cbd herb is quicker and just as effective. Don't be surprised if you don't feel much, it's more like an absence of other negative things, than something you feel. Does that make sense?

And advice to micro dose is spot on. More may not be better. And you don't have to feel high for there to be a significant medical effect. If your "too high" you can mentally fight the high and that in itself can stress yourself. Lots of people just go with the flow when over indulging, but that doesn't work for everyone. Especially those new to mj.

Lots of good advice in this thread, I'm sure something will click.

yeah cbd is a good idea... also heard it should help...
In my experience sativas can boost mood but mostly the day after if I consumed to much I can experience depression or anxiety... also terpens are very interesting...

but maybe we should also kkep in mind that effects can vary from person to person...

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
If your "too high" you can mentally fight the high and that in itself can stress yourself. Lots of people just go with the flow when over indulging, but that doesn't work for everyone. Especially those new to mj.

Very solid info here. I would like to add that being too high on the sativas at home alone or with people you love and trust can help you get acclimated to the effects and overcome some of the fears. I've noticed when I go out in public it's not as bad as it used to be (social anxiety while baked). Sometimes facing the beast will help you overcome fears.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
IME cannabis does work for depression but it is, in my opinion, extremely easy to "overdose" when prescribing for mental health.

I might even go as far as to say cannabis abuse side effects are maybe the most detrimental to those using for mental health.

I also might say that concentrates may work better than flowers for mental health in my experience. I think it's more of that low temp essential oil therapy that works well for depression, not so much extremely high levels of THC.

I also might say that indicas or sedative strains in general are generally not ideal, although a racey sativa is not ideal for anxiety either. But I realize it could depend on WHY you are depressed - for example, if you are using cannabis for grief, those more potent doses may be just the ticket. That's a different session than someone who gets social anxiety, or suffers from anhedonia. I think it's important to experiment and find what works and what doesn't, and modify our healing program as we see necessary.

I think it's very difficult to use cannabis for mental health and also be a stoner. The stoner side makes it easy to lose track of all the points above, and too much secluded thinking for people who probably overthink a lot to begin with, is really not ideal.

Top Bottom