Marijuana and depression and anxiety

wall

Last I looked there were 70+ cannabinoids in cannabis, plus perhaps dozens of terpenes. The ratios of all those plus the methods of using the same are all factors in the cannabis experience. I know of two friends who exclusively use sativas for anxiety, and one who uses for depression.

Most people recommend sativas for anxiety and depression. But not all sativas are equal in effects. Some are much more uplifting than others. Research can help, but in the end it's a personal thing as to what works best. I would look at sativas that have a lemon or lime like taste because of those types of terpenes, and then go from there.

And CBD's can be a real help. In my experience they make everything more upbeat. Personally I take most of my CBD's in cannacap form, but vaping high cbd herb is quicker and just as effective. Don't be surprised if you don't feel much, it's more like an absence of other negative things, than something you feel. Does that make sense?

And advice to micro dose is spot on. More may not be better. And you don't have to feel high for there to be a significant medical effect. If your "too high" you can mentally fight the high and that in itself can stress yourself. Lots of people just go with the flow when over indulging, but that doesn't work for everyone. Especially those new to mj.

Lots of good advice in this thread, I'm sure something will click.
I like what you said about CBD, to me there is nothing wrong with not having much of a high if you have had a bad experience with a higher THC strain. If you find a strain that doesn't do a lot thats always a solid starting point, then start to play around with a little more THC and if it gets bad again go to a safe strain again almost to tell yourself "ok we are back on level ground"
Nothing makes me more frustrated then a friend or acquaintance telling me they have sworn off cannabis because they always did it with the friend that just wants to get you as high as possible

hans solo

Left coast Canada
I also agree with your comments regarding CBD. As a daytime med it is an effective in reducing anxiety and stress.
My preffered delivery method is Viridesco oil. Currently my morning dosage is 15mg of 28% CBD golden organic hemp flower paste and I occasionally add 6 mg of their 60% THC Sativa Red Congolese Oil. The product is packaged in a patron dispenser that is easy to use and and is accurate at measuring out the dosage required.

asdf420

but non the less I think to much sativas can make you depressive... I try to mix in indicas and sometimes do not use sativas...
i've had the opposite experience too. afghan kush, most depressing shit ever. anxiety too, and sedation. screaming in sleep. then it seemed fine.. maybe it was just a bad time

Gigsabits53

I know it has helped me tremendously. I have dealt with depression and anxiety for most of my life. Weed is the absolute best medicine that I have used for my issues. Unfortunately, it's about the only drug that I cant get on a consistent basis as Im in a non-legal state. I think its going to be different for everyone. When I have weed, my life is so much easier.

Good luck everyone, great thread!

Alexis

I do strongly feel that taking more frequent days and nights off, like at least a day, can be very helpful at massively altering the way that cannabis affects your positive outlook.
Just having that refresh does wonders for keeping a much lighter, less worried and more positive mindset 24/7.

Not necessarily a day off every week, but certainly AT LEAST once a month.
This isnt possible for many medical users. I am a hypocrit because I fail to motivate myself to take these frequent days off. Months on end, (as supply has allowed for unlike on the past). And this ironically can be the issue as the habit forming aspect digs in and one can get into a rut with little motivation to back up, refresh and come anew.

In relation to depression I mean. And speaking from experience too. I use cannabis largely for depression, and being honest it works for me and against me, depending on my situation, condition and frame of mind. It would do me a lot of good to have a day off. Just 1 day and my level of happiness and enjoyment of the high, with far less anxiety, is much higher for weeks afterwards. I dont NEED weed, Im not medical techinacally so Im lucky there lol.

Walt D.

However if you are taking hydrogen peroxide internally keep in mind that it will destroyed intestinal Flora so it would be good to replenish this with a decent probiotic source.

Yep I forgot to mention this, you want to take a probiotic along with it. As far as "addictive," I have always found smoked pot slightly addictive in that I want more. Vaping has allowed me to be able to resist enough to only smoke it at night which I like.

Bluestang

Only through the 1st page of this thread, but holy shit some great fucking information and advice. Can wait to read the rest and see how I can help my anxiety that I think also causes me depression. Thanks all!

Ricardo

My psych doctor would prefer I didn't use cannabis... . However, he concedes that a lot depends on the psychiatric evaluation. As far as I understand, if the diagnosis tends towards psychosis, bi-polarism / schizophrenia etc., weed is a danger, and I personally know at least 2 persons who have become non-functional due to underlying psychiatric conditions, exacerbated by cannabis use. If it is neurotic, anxiety etc., then maybe it's OK. His beef is that weed is not legal where I live and therefore not clinically tested. The irony is that trying to explain weed usage / culture to a non-user is like trying to explain depression to someone who has never suffered from it. That said, I'm currently on a vacation induced tolerance break with zero withdrawal symptoms (except maybe nightmares, but I put that down to different bed, odd mealtimes/different food etc.).

asdf420

I do strongly feel that taking more frequent days and nights off, like at least a day, can be very helpful at massively altering the way that cannabis affects your positive outlook.
Just having that refresh does wonders for keeping a much lighter, less worried and more positive mindset 24/7.

Not necessarily a day off every week, but certainly AT LEAST once a month.
This isnt possible for many medical users. I am a hypocrit because I fail to motivate myself to take these frequent days off. Months on end, (as supply has allowed for unlike on the past). And this ironically can be the issue as the habit forming aspect digs in and one can get into a rut with little motivation to back up, refresh and come anew.

In relation to depression I mean. And speaking from experience too. I use cannabis largely for depression, and being honest it works for me and against me, depending on my situation, condition and frame of mind. It would do me a lot of good to have a day off. Just 1 day and my level of happiness and enjoyment of the high, with far less anxiety, is much higher for weeks afterwards. I dont NEED weed, Im not medical techinacally so Im lucky there lol.
fucking same. By using too often I feel a slight high for 2 minutes then tired, sort of stoned, not high, and depressed. I keep thinking, whatever, i'm totally gonna take a break once I run out. Then, suddenly I'm in the weed store. Why not buy another gram of dabs while I'm here? Might as well. And I've been thinking of switching to CBD isolate, which should make it easier to take a t-break

analytika

CBD's can be a real help. In my experience they make everything more upbeat. Personally I take most of my CBD's in cannacap form, but vaping high cbd herb is quicker and just as effective. Don't be surprised if you don't feel much, it's more like an absence of other negative things, than something you feel. Does that make sense?
CBD stands pretty much alone in pharmacology as an awakeness promoting tranquilizer.

BiPolarBear

I have man. Same circle. Depression and Anxiety from a younger age and am now 33 but a man child. lol It helps at first but then it gets to a point where it seems to increase paranoia and the way I read situations with others socially. Makes me super anti social and lethargic. I honestly think I've slipped into psychosis twice when looking at myself in the mirror or getting lost while thinking about who I am while out on a walk just outside my house. Stripped down everything around the major fears and stresses in life and you see/feel them as purely as you possibly can. Almost like standing in a dark room with only the deep rooted feeling staring you in the face. Cannabis has both helped tremendously and opened my eyes to how society is as a whole but also abusing instead of micro dosing medicinally really messes with your dopamine levels. The one thing it completely cured for me which plagued me for decades was sleep. Organic Death Bubba and I sleep like an angel. No pharma.

Ricardo

Agree that Marijuana is often described as a mood enhancer/augmenter, but that can go either way. Also, again, it's not considered beneficial for some psychotic or bipolar conditions. Personally, I find a lot of clarity when I'm good and high and sometimes come up against hard truths. I know I sound like an old hippy but it's very like the clarity you can get from meditation/Mindfulness. That said, as always it comes down to strain, dosage and the individual. I defy anyone to vape a bowl of Laughing Buddha and not end up with a huge grin across their face.

steama

This all depends on the person, the strain, and the amount used. Cannabis can make a person feel better where it can make a different person feel worse. There are so many variables that determine how cannabis could affect a person.

Effectiveness of cannabis will be different for each individual in regards to depression and anxiety. So if you have depression and anxiety you might as well give herb a try.

Rozz

I’ve quite 100% of my prescription medications and have only used medical marijuana for about 2 years now. It’s been wonderful. First you should get mmj card in your state. Research the strains that are best for your problems and try each out. It took me a while to find the right strains but once I did, it’s just been a complete 360 in my life. I feel better and better each day. I tried so many different anxiety and depression medications that I gave up. I can’t handle those side effects. This isn’t a good route for everyone, some people cannot cope with just marijuana and that’s okay, I do think it’s worth a shot for anyone wanting to try it though.

sarkunit

At this moment I am finding that continual cannabis use has not been great for my Bipolar Disorder. It has, however, been great for my pain, and it knocks out anxiety attacks just as well as adavan. I'm attempting to cut my use to microdoses for pain, and the mega doses for when I am having a anxiety attack or am suffering a bout of "self harm" level depression. Honestly, cannabis has helped me walk off a ledge more than once, and I am here because of it. A dab will just clear out my mind, so that the darkness looses its grip long enough for me to get help. So, I would say its a mixed bag. Treatment with cannabis is a personal journey, and perhaps that makes it a complex and difficult medicine to use. I wish you luck!

Brewervapesalot

The best strains offer pain relief, sleep aid, and help me focus on relaxing or doing whatever I am doing at the time, temporarily reducing my thoughts about anything else.

Brewervapesalot,

Tranquility

Maybe, it is the anti-inflammatory aspects of cannabis that are related to any benefits shown to depression and not the psychological effects.

https://acpinternist.org/weekly/archives/2019/11/05/4.htm
Anti-inflammatory agents may effectively, safely curb major depressive symptoms, study finds
A pooled data analysis looked at depression treatment trials that compared NSAIDs, omega-3 fatty acids, cytokine inhibitors, statins, steroids, minocycline, modafinil, or N-acetylcysteine to placebo.

Anti-inflammatory agents can safely and effectively curb the symptoms of major depression, a meta-analysis found.

Researchers conducted a pooled analysis of 30 randomized, controlled trials totaling 1,610 people to see if anti-inflammatory agents work better than placebo alone or as add-on therapy to standard antidepressant treatment. Anti-inflammatory agents included NSAIDs, omega-3 fatty acids, cytokine inhibitors, statins, steroids, minocycline, modafinil, and N-acetylcysteine. Results were published Oct. 28 by the Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry.

Overall analysis pooling from 26 of the trials suggested that anti-inflammatory agents reduced depressive symptoms (standard mean difference [SMD], −0.55; 95% CI, −0.75 to −0.35) compared with placebo. Higher response (risk ratio [RR], 1.52; 95% CI, 1.30 to 1.79) and remission rates (RR, 1.79; 95% CI, 1.29 to 2.49) were seen in patients receiving anti-inflammatory agents than in those receiving placebo.

Subgroup analysis of patients treated with NSAIDs, omega-3 fatty acids, statins, and minocycline showed significant antidepressant effects for major depressive disorder. Effects were even greater when one of these agents was added to standard antidepressant treatment.

Anti-inflammatory agents didn't seem to improve quality of life, although this might have been because of the small number of studies, the authors wrote. There were no major side effects, although there were some gastrointestinal symptoms among patients taking statins and N-acetylcysteine. Trials lasted only four to 12 weeks, so it wasn't possible to track side effects over the longer term.

The researchers also pointed out that not all studies tracked changes in depression scores over the entire study period. The depression scales used in the studies differed, and studies involving statins and minocycline included only small numbers of patients.

Still, anti-inflammatory agents may have an antidepressant effect and were generally safe, the authors wrote. “Anti-inflammatory agents show promising effects for [major depressive disorder]. However, owing to the chronic course of [major depressive disorder], quality of life and adverse effects should be further investigated in high-quality randomised clinical trials with long-term follow-up,” they concluded.​

Ricardo

Pure or high level CBD strains work best for me. Right now I have some Dinafem CBD @ 13% and it is a full-on body/mind relaxant. Later, I'll mix it up with some higher level THC (Melon Gum) = :D

Vape_Or_Die420

My anxiety is terrible as well. Get some cbd hemp flower. Mix it with some real weed. Figure out the right combo for you. For me it is a 4 to 1 cbd being the most. Tapper back on the thc and get some more cbd in your life.

Also, try yoga and dont stop !!! Best thing i ever did.

Last edited:
Vape_Or_Die420,
Reactions: Ricardo

rnartian

Earthling flora is... fascinating.
Weed used to give me a ton of anxiety. Funny enough, it was the indica strains that caused most of it ("My muscles feel strange... I can't sit up... MY MUSCLES ARE WASTING, I'M DYING!", etc.) So now I stick with sativa strains (I don't buy from anyone who can't tell me what the strain is, and that got me into growing my own so that I don't have to guess or end up having an anxiety attack).

I also always mix them with a high CBD strain. It really takes the edge off and makes the entire spectrum work better: sativa is uplifting and energetic, which helps with my depression and executive dysfunction, and the CBD keeps the sativa from revving up my anxiety in the process and actually works to calm me down overall. My mixes are usually 75/25 sativa to cbd, but I'll go 50/50 if I'm having a bad anxiety day.

If you've got paranoia-based anxiety like me, any weed that gives you a feeling of heavy body load or makes your body feel too different too quickly is something you want to stay away from.

Also, vitamin D and HIIT for about 20mins a day. Trust me.

mixchu69

I really like the introspection on this thread. Suffered depression and anxiety since my early teens, therapy and both anti-depressant and anti-anxiety medication for past 20 years. Cannabis use for 20 years. I think it is time for me to take a long break (maybe a few years) and see if it improves my mental health.

I got off anti-depressants about 6 months ago, slowly weaning myself off anti-anxiety medication (25% the dosage of what I was taking), about a week off cannabis. I never blame cannabis, just my personal abuse of it. It has ruined relationships (always want to rush home to dab or vape) and lack of empathy. I personally think cannabis is a great alternative to a lot of pharmaceuticals and hope to revisit it one day when I am in a better mind state. I agree with ppl that say it accentuates your current mood or state of mind (if you're happy, it can amplify it, if your sad, it can prolong it).

It will be difficult as cannabis is my identity. I love reading the forums when I wake up, proud of my collection (shout out to @stickstones, as he was my vape concierge in 2014) and actually used the support of this community to get off harder drugs with the use of cannabis (I think cannabis can help other hard drug users to detox). I give props to @biohacker for his transparency with his relationship to cannabis, which did actually open my eyes that there can be a healthy/detrimental relationship based on your use. Also enjoyed reading @invertedisdead posts.

I will continue to be part of this forum (probably observing from sidelines). I consider FC family. Thanks everyone.

biohacker

I think it is time for me to take a long break (maybe a few years) and see if it improves my mental health.

That's where i'm at now, 2+ months into my recovery. So far it's been many pros, and some cons which i'm hoping will improve with some more time. Feel free to PM me for some resources/other forums to assist you on your path.

I never blame cannabis, just my personal abuse of it. It has ruined relationships (always want to rush home to dab or vape) and lack of empathy. I personally think cannabis is a great alternative to a lot of pharmaceuticals and hope to revisit it one day when I am in a better mind state.

I resonate with this tremendously. For me it became extremely addicting and the focus of my life to an unhealthy degree.

It will be difficult as cannabis is my identity.

This, big time. I'm learning how to manage without it, and it's been quite an eye opener.

I wish you the best!

ayguistoi

It's tough, especially when you've been dealing with these feelings for so long. I'm not a pro, but from what I've learned, it seems like our bodies are trying to tell us something. Maybe it's time for a change, you know? Recognizing the addiction to cigarettes is huge. As for tips, have you ever considered therapy? It's been a game-changer for me. Plus, understanding the root causes of your depression and anxiety might help break that cycle.

Top Bottom