making honey oil without heat

SD_haze

Iso oil can be very honey-like but not with that recipe. A 1-24 hour soak like it recommends with 95-99% iso is most likely making a very impure black/brown product.

A quicker way called QWISO (quick wash iso) ensures a purer, lighter colored product with less plant matter. This would gunk up vape pens much less than a planty black iso oil.

Lots of QWISO info here on FC

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I don't like it, it says to soak in ISO for up to a day :o:\

Everything I've read and experienced says a soak of 1-2 minutes is more than enough.

Search for QWISO, most techs will tell you to evaporae with heat, but AFAIK if you just let the dish with ISO sit in a well ventilated space (maybe with a fan or some other source of airflow over it) it should all evap out.

I usually use a simple double boiler setup with some household glass pans, and have yet to burn myself.

Basically, if you can cook a meal, IMO you should be able to set up a simple enough double boiler setup.

EDIT:
SD_haze ninja'd me :ninja:

Frederick McGuire,

REBG

"Search for QWISO, most techs will tell you to evaporae with heat, but AFAIK if you just let the dish with ISO sit in a well ventilated space (maybe with a fan or some other source of airflow over it) it should all evap out.

I usually use a simple double boiler setup with some household glass pans, and have yet to burn myself."

i am a beginner with no experience extracting any type of oil. i need to make some for my vaporrizer pen (that i havent bought yet because i dont even know if i can make the stuff that goes in it.)
i pretty much need exact directions because i cant really afford a wasted batch of green.

what about this recipe:
http://forum.opiophile.org/showthread.php?35366-PharmBandit-s-QWISO-Recipe-How-to-make-and-Smoke

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
It seems daunting at first, but it is quite easy once you've done it once or twice and understand what's going on.

Basically here's what you need to do

-Obtain a solvent that will dissolve THC, and can be fully purged out at the end (since you don't want to be consuming the solvent)
-Put the solvent and the THC in contact for long enough that the solvent can dissolve the THC
-Filter this solvent/oil mixture to remove any plant matter
-Remove all solvent from mixture.

two of the more common solvents are ISO, and Butane

For your first run, get absolutely everything ready beforehand, have it out, on the bench, and do a mental dry run.
Just sorta get a feel for where all your materials are, and how you're going to use them, you don't want to be stressing that you can't find something while you are dealing with volatile chemicals.

I'll try to do a step by step breakdown

STEP 0 - SAFETY
ensure everything is safe for the extraction. This means NO FLAMES.
If you're a smoker, have a cig before your extraction and then wait till you are completely finished, avoid anything that could spark or just generally set a flammable gas ablaze.

STEP 1 - PREPARATION
Get your extraction vessel (a mason jar is usually the easiest to obtain for this kind of job).
Line it with cheesecloth or something similar. Something that will allow you to remove the majority of your herb from the solvent quickly and easily before you filter it.

Get a 2nd mason jar, and secure a non-bleached, brown paper coffee filter to the mouth.

Ensure your evaporation dish is clean, and dry. If you haven't used it before, run a razor along it to see if you will be easily able to scrape up the thin layer of oil. (I once bought a dish that had a very slight curve along the sides that made it very hard to scrape up)

Prepare your double boiler setup at this point if you plan on using one

STEP 2 - EXTRACTION
Place your herb (somewhat broken up, but not necessarily ground) into your cheesecloth lined mason jar.
Add enough ISO to just submerge them.
(Some people freeze their buds and isobeforehand, which can lead to a purer product at the end)
Let the buds soak for 1-2 minutes, I usually give them a bit of a shake during this time, (but that is optional).

Pull the buds out along with the cheesecloth, and squeeze the excess ISO out back into your mason jar.

At this point your ISO should be a golden brown/yellow, with a few small bits of particulate in there, with maybe some dusty looking stuff on the bottom of the jar.

Pour your ISO mixture into the coffee filter in the 2nd mason jar.
This will remove any of those particulates

The ISO should now be that golden brown/yellow, with no particulates suspended in it.

STEP 3 - PURGE
pour your nice filtered ISO mixture into your evap dish, and either let it evaporate off naturally, or use a doubl boiler setup (IMPORTANT NOTE - NO FLAMES URING PURGING, also if you're using a double boiler, it would probably be inside, so make sure there is lots and lots and lots of ventilation)

Eventually, all of your oil will be left in the pan, and all of the alcohol will have evaporated away.

Then you just scrape it up and enjoy :)

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Let the buds soak for 1-2 minutes, I usually give them a bit of a shake during this time, (but that is optional).

Nice thorough explanation, Fred. While I've never done a QWISO batch before myself, I have read that 20-30 seconds is about the max exposure recommended. Does the extra minute or two not really matter?

:peace:

Stu,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I've read of 30 second washes needing multiple passes, whereas with a 1-2minute soak usually less runs will be needed.

You do get a bit more plant material, but IMO its worth it.

I've done most of my QWISO with ABV though, where wash time isn't as important.

I'd personally start at a minute and modify my tech there based on results

I'm by no means an expert, I just like to think I know what's going on when doing an extraction...

I'm sure there are far more educated errlheads on FC than myself.
:2c:

Frederick McGuire,

REBG

Get a 2nd mason jar, and secure a non-bleached, brown paper coffee filter to the mouth
i have a gold metal coffee filter, will that work?

Prepare your double boiler setup at this point if you plan on using
like a metal pan with boiling water with metal bowl on top?

can i let it evaporate in the sun by a window? or just at room temp?

but IMO its worth it.

I've done most of my QWISO with ABV though, where wash time isn't as important.

what is IMO and ABV?

So many questions, sorry guys lol

REBG,

fake name

i have a gold metal coffee filter, will that work?

Not for use in an oil pen. I think that's your goal, right? The metal gold filters have to big of holes, it is not a fine enough filter to make oil for use in most oil pens, too much makes it through. The reusable filters are about 50 micron,--good-- paper filters are normally <15 micron.

If you are just using the oil in a bowl or on top of weed in a regular vape the golden metal filter should be ok, though.

can i let it evaporate in the sun by a window? or just at room temp?

In the sun, no. UV light degrades thc, and the thc is more exposed after extraction. Iso will evaporate at room temp, it just takes a while. A fan can speed this up but will also blow some dust into the oil. Make sure any room you are doing this in is well ventilated.

what is IMO and ABV?

So many questions, sorry guys lol

'IMO', means 'in my opinion.' 'ABV' refers to vaped weed, it means 'already been vaped'

fake name,

REBG

ok so i'm going to not use the gold coffee filter and get some brown paper coffe filters (it does make more since that way lol)

and the double broiler:
im just tryin to figure out how to make and use a double broiler

REBG,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Ideally you want your evap dish to be glass, and very flat. So you wouldn't want to be using a metal bowl as your evap dish.

But yes, a metal pan with a metal bowl on top would qualify as a double boiler.

A double boiler is essentially a large vessel, filled with water, with a smaller vessel placed in the larger vessel.

It is a way of indirectly heating things, since when you place it on your stovetop, you heat the water, which in turn heats the smaller vessel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_boiler

Frederick McGuire,

REBG

577211_10151516617043659_64435972_n.jpg

i think i have most of my supplies,
the glass dish will work as my double boiler and evap dish

deadheadbill

I can see clearly now the smoke is gone...
20130228_095537.jpg
It seems daunting at first, but it is quite easy once you've done it once or twice and understand what's going on.

Basically here's what you need to do

:)

Made a batch yesterday using a variation of this method and got 1.3g out of 3g of bud. Gonna give it a taste later since it's only 10am here atm. :)

Edit. Admittedly the "variation" was to use butane for the 1st ext followed by iso. :D

quote]

deadheadbill,
Reactions: ataxian

REBG

ok well i'll be making it very soon and will be posting a pic. i'm making it for a vape pen. probably a thermovape. any other tips would be helpful and much appreciated

REBG,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
Lots of good info has already been given. Just remember also that the aggressiveness of iso as a solvent for us will depend on temperature. If you put your iso in the freezer or some people even use acetone ice baths to keep the extraction at sub 32*F temperatures. As iso gets colder it becomes less polar giving you the ability do longer soaks with less plant matter. The warmer your iso the quicker your washes need to be if purity for a pen vape platform is your goal.

Also a candle warmer or seedling mat is a good way to purge without the flames.

Edit a thermovape product isnt as picky about purity it just makes for more cleanup in the end.

REBG

Also a candle warmer or seedling mat is a good way to purge without the flames.

i have an electric hot plate i was gonna use for the double boiler. will that work for evap too?

REBG,

deadheadbill

I can see clearly now the smoke is gone...
what was your variation?

Actually, I shouldn't have posted that as I altered a fair amount of steps. You will be much better just following the directions Frederick gave you. It will turn out great.

deadheadbill,
Reactions: REBG

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
i have an electric hot plate i was gonna use for the double boiler. will that work for evap too?

Yup that will work fine. The others are nice cause you can kinda set it and forget it, also some people find them less intimidating. Each has their pros and cons of course, a hot plate you have more temp control, which is helpful for purging various solvents.

Puffers,
Top Bottom