Magical Butter

StickyShisha2

Sticky what is that and where do you get it? Why do you need a coffee filter and where would it go? Also is it hard to use.

Puffers what would break and I thought that is what we were doing straining?

i use the filter for qwiso but for not for squeezing butter out of trim.
P1011629.JPG

StickyShisha2,
Reactions: Dreamerr

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
Dreamerr, here's a video showing how the aeropress works. It has a plunger you push through the other chamber to squeeze liquid through the filter. When using a filter and thick/finely-ground material it can get hard to press, but I imagine it wouldn't be hard doing it without the coffee filter like StickyShisha is saying.

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Wow that guy is beefy and he was standing using two hands. That seem to be quit a bit of force. I am so screwed with all this stuff cause it takes more strength then I can use since it will cause me great injury. I like that thing though it is kind of kewl.

Tweek what is a light strain...do whatever and waste the rest?

I have to find an easy way to do this...you are all sooooooooooooooo sweet for helping me (((hugs))):)

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
Wow that guy is beefy and he was standing using two hands. That seem to be quit a bit of force. I am so screwed with all this stuff cause it takes more strength then I can use since it will cause me great injury. I like that thing though it is kind of kewl.
He was using finely ground coffee and a coffee filter which makes it harder to press. I think it would be pretty easy pressing butter out of plant material if you keep the coffee filter out. The nice thing is the aeropress is only $20 or so.

nopartofme,

Dreamerr

Yea I may get it cause of the price but I doubt I can do it with a filter without hurting my back but we will see. If I want to make tincture I assume I need a filter. Why don't you need one with butter? Don't forget his fancy stand which made it easier for him to press down.

Dreamerr,

ehakim

I just briefly read the last couple posts so idk if im on topic here but I think with cheesecloth and a cheap pair of kitchen tongs your more than set

Dreamerr

ehakim the point was I am crippled and was looking for the easiest way possible and that is not easy for me. Also as you know it makes a mess so cleaning has to happen and besides that being annoying and hard for me others don't like it either as I am sure you don't. Anyhow the point of this machine for me was easy mindless usage and it is turning out to be easier for most but for me just as hard.

Dreamerr,

secretjuly

Would I be able to use water with oil to make the minimum 2 cup line if I only wanted a cup of oil

secretjuly,

satyrday

ehakim the point was I am crippled and was looking for the easiest way possible and that is not easy for me. Also as you know it makes a mess so cleaning has to happen and besides that being annoying and hard for me others don't like it either as I am sure you don't. Anyhow the point of this machine for me was easy mindless usage and it is turning out to be easier for most but for me just as hard.
Tweek's method of not straining sounds like one for you to pursue. Just let it settle to the bottom and at the end of the jar you've got a bonus - tasty salad complete with dressing.

Titrate! Don't know your history and experience but edibles can knock you on your ass unexpectedly because of the slower onset and highly efficient usage of the herb (depending on how efficient your digestion is).

satyrday,
Reactions: Tweek

Dreamerr

I don't understand how to get the stuff out then. You still have the herb on the bottom and have to get the oil or tincture out. I thought you could just eat the stuff the way it is but maybe gross or just taste like sand. I am just confused this week.

Dreamerr,

satyrday

I don't understand how to get the stuff out then. You still have the herb on the bottom and have to get the oil or tincture out. I thought you could just eat the stuff the way it is but maybe gross or just taste like sand. I am just confused this week.
Just use a medicine dropper or something to get the tincture off the top and don't worry about what's settled at the bottom. When the jar's near empty you can gently squeeze some more tincture out of the herb pulp and then save the pulp to eat, or just dispose of it because it's hopefully pretty spent anyway (since the whole point is to extract the good stuff from the plant into the tincture). With a good high proof alcohol tincture, the plant matter is pretty well spent and not worth much if anything at the end, but with glycerin there may be more good stuff left in the pulp because I don't think it extracts as powerfully.

Dreamerr

Is there a huge difference between the 151 and the 190 everclear?
Thanks to everyone for trying to help. :clap:

I hope by Monday my head is working better and I can go get what I need and figure this out. Since I haven't seen there strainer yet I can't really figure out an easy way so better I wait. I can't imagine if you use there filter and find the proper bowl to prop it on you can't use something solid to just push the oil or tincture through but we will see.

Dreamerr,
Reactions: satyrday

satyrday

I hope by Monday my head is working better and I can go get what I need and figure this out. Since I haven't seen there strainer yet I can't really figure out an easy way so better I wait. I can't imagine if you use there filter and find the proper bowl to prop it on you can't use something solid to just push the oil or tincture through but we will see.
Pretty significant difference I think but at least the 151 is somewhat safer. I would leave the plant matter in 151 longer during prep than 190 to try and compensate, but 190 is the bomb (maybe literally).

If I were you I would try glycerin first because so much safer. And then maybe try eating a little sand salad to see if it agrees with you.

Also, you can be a gentle strainer, you don't necessarily have to get every last drop.

satyrday,

Tweek

All I ever use is 151 and end up with some very potent tincture. The most important step is to decarb it properly beforehand. I don't use alcohol in the unit itself though, as I prefer not to take the chance. It was vaguely suggested that it would be ok, but it is still an "at your own risk" venture, unless something has changed with the updated units.

Edit: The strainer that came with my original unit was a permanent coffee type filter and a regular wire mesh strainer. Of greater concern for those with mobility issues, is the weight of a full unit. It may be difficult to lift. So what I would do, is keep it in the unit, let it settle and then siphon it off with a turkey baster or something into a clean jar. This way, you don't have to struggle.

satyrday

Would I be able to use water with oil to make the minimum 2 cup line if I only wanted a cup of oil
I think you will dilute the power of the oil to extract the good stuff since water alone is ineffective at it, and the mixture may just ruin the batch if the water to oil ratio is too high (50/50 sounds way too high). Might be worth a shot if it not too much water but I'd just use more oil because any herb soaked in water may not want to give up its properties to the oil swirling around it (so premix the oil and water well before adding to the herb, but still seems dicey).

I'm glad you brought up the minimum two cup line though. Will make experimenting with smaller quantities more difficult, so good to let people know about it. To me it's a weakness of the machine, yet an understandable constraint. But it is what it is and still a brilliant sounding invention IMO. I'm excited to get mine.

satyrday,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind

I don't think so, the oil and water won't mix together for very long before it separates. Probably better off using double the oil and just eating an extra cookie or whatever your making. :2c:

Oh and Miss D I was worried that pressing on the plunger of the French press might break the plunger or worse the glass as you try to squeeze out the oil/alcohol left in the plant matter/filter. With qwiso you just strain the plant matter basically, but with oil the filters and plant matter hold a a bit more of your finished product making a bit more pressing necessary if your trying to be efficient.

Tweek

I know you can add water with butter when using the machine, and just separate it later (it's how alot of folks do it traditionally). Not sure about straight oil though, since adding water to hot oil is a recipe for disaster in normal circumstances.

Dreamerr

You are all so patient and great with me thanks. I guess me helping throughout this forum with other stuff pays off since now I am being helped. :bowdown:

I will try to do something this coming week. Maybe butter since I have what I need in the house...butter lol.

My lady comes Monday so I will have her help me if she is willing. Maybe Tuesday I can manage to go into the health store to get glycerin if there is parking.

I will keep you all posted.

As far as the alcohol I can get either the 151 or the 190 just two different stores and the 190 is actually cheaper for the same size bottle so that is why I asked. Bevmo is more expensive then the wine chateau believe it or not.

Dreamerr,
Reactions: CarolKing

satyrday

You are all so patient and great with me thanks. I guess me helping throughout this forum with other stuff pays off since now I am being helped. :bowdown:

I will try to do something this coming week. Maybe butter since I have what I need in the house...butter lol.

My lady comes Monday so I will have her help me if she is willing. Maybe Tuesday I can manage to go into the health store to get glycerin if there is parking.

I will keep you all posted.

As far as the alcohol I can get either the 151 or the 190 just two different stores and the 190 is actually cheaper for the same size bottle so that is why I asked. Bevmo is more expensive then the wine chateau believe it or not.
Just don't cause a catastrophe with 190 and get it banned. It already seems a precarious situation with do-gooders always looking for something else to ban and the fact that it's already banned in several states. Need to stock up on it before the shit hits the fan!

Headline: "Magical Butter Maker Is Demonic Disabled Person Baker - Ban Everclear 190 Now!"

satyrday,

satyrday

Here's a fruit press like what Puffers posted from Overstock, but cheaper price.
http://www.amazon.com/Commerical-Manual-Orange-Citrus-Juicer/dp/B003ZJO7JI/

Per price even cheaper here for what looks like the same press (note shipping cost). Great price if you have someone to go in half and half. Many colors available too.
http://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Restaurant-Citrus-Professional-Assembled/dp/B00563M16W/

Here's one that would require more muscle leverage, but good price:
http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Stainless-Steel-Citrus-Juice-Press/dp/B0002IBOAK/

satyrday,

Dreamerr

Are you having issues straining satyrday? I can't see how a fruit press with a tiny cup will help since it looks like it will make a huge mess. You would need something that help about two cups or more worth of stuff I think.

I asked the other day if you can just use something hard to smash it down while in the strainer like a meat pounder? I also asked if you strain the herb through a strainer before making stuff won't it be easier?

I sent someone in to the dollar store the other day for cheese cloth and my luck there were out of it ugh.

Satyrday, what have you made so far?

Edit: I just read it is 26 pounds there is no way I can use something that heavy. My caregiver brought over a kitchen aid to grind chicken for me and I couldn't even move it. Weight is exponential when you don't have your legs to help. It also puts way to much pressure on my back since it tries to compensate for the lack of leg strength.

Dreamerr,

satyrday

Are you having issues straining satyrday? I can't see how a fruit press with a tiny cup will help since it looks like it will make a huge mess. You would need something that help about two cups or more worth of stuff I think.

I asked the other day if you can just use something hard to smash it down while in the strainer like a meat pounder? I also asked if you strain the herb through a strainer before making stuff won't it be easier?

I sent someone in to the dollar store the other day for cheese cloth and my luck there were out of it ugh.

Satyrday, what have you made so far?

Edit: I just read it is 26 pounds there is no way I can use something that heavy. My caregiver brought over a kitchen aid to grind chicken for me and I couldn't even move it. Weight is exponential when you don't have your legs to help. It also puts way to much pressure on my back since it tries to compensate for the lack of leg strength.
I haven't received my MB yet, just anticipating the need. You would need to position the press in a large shallow pan or something to help with the mess - good point.

Smashing with a meat pounder wouldn't be as good as pressing it and holding the pressure for awhile.

Don't understand your question about straining before making stuff. You need to strain after making stuff to get the tincture out of the pulp.

Sounds like your caregiver would be a good help to you with all this. Maybe give her a little tip - a swig of tincture ;)

satyrday,

Dreamerr

I meant straining using a screen to make the bits as small or almost as small as kief. I was wondering if that would help a bit but who knows.

Dreamerr,

satyrday

I meant straining using a screen to make the bits as small or almost as small as kief. I was wondering if that would help a bit but who knows.
I don't think that would be necessary, just grind it first maybe - not sure how good of a job MB itself does in that department.

satyrday,
Top Bottom