Magic Flight Launch Box or the Iolite

Status
Not open for further replies.

efex

Been reading the endless amount of pages on both forums in the vaporizer review section , and cant really come to a decision. Seems both units have there positives with few negatives. The magic flight is super stealthy/ portable which i like, but I've been told that it is VERY easy to reach combustion(which is my biggest concern cause I hate any type of smoke entering my lungs since I'm a huge health fanatic). The iolite reviews were very positive and i have not found a case of combustion on the forums. On the other hand the unit seems to emit noise while heating up which takes away from the stealth of the unit, and I've read that a lot of the parts seem to get broken / stripped easily and cleaning is also no chore. Also refilling the unit has been a major problem for many people as butane spills all over the place. So any help would be great as I'd like to purchase a portable vaporizer relatively soon. :)

efex,

aero18

vaporist
I have to actually purposely try to reach combustion with my Launch Box. IMO, people who complain of the device torching their herb either do not have enough experience with the device or have a faulty device.

The iOlite requires more work to function. Some people have a difficult time filling it up with butane and there are more parts in it that can fail compared to the LB.

With the LB, you just plug some rechargable batteries into an outlet and then plug them into the device. You are vaping in a few seconds. No hastles and no worries. No noise, very small, and very efficient (more so than the iOlite).

Also, for the same price, you can buy a Launch Box and another vaporizer like the MZ. IMO, the iOlite does not warrant its very expensive cost ($250?!).

aero18,

max

Out to lunch
The magic flight is super stealthy/ portable which i like, but I've been told that it is VERY easy to reach combustion
I've never come close to combustion. No temp regulation, so it's possible, but I strongly disagree with "VERY easy". I do prefer using a small amount in the LB though. It's much easier to manage and you don't have to deal with a lot of stirring and vaping ABV.

The iolite reviews were very positive and i have not found a case of combustion on the forums
You'd have to have a defective thermostat to burn herb in the iolite. Never seen a report of that. It does make a hissing noise when reheating, which would be noticeable in some quiet places if someone is close by. The iolite is more stealthy where noise isn't a concern, especially if you add a little tubing for a 'straw', while the small size, quiet operation and almost 'instant on' give the edge to the LB in many locations. The plastic iolite mouthpiece has been a problem with breakage, but I haven't had an issue with them, and stainless steel is now available. I'd be more worried about the vaping operation of the iolite, as far as reliability goes. It's a much more complicated design than the LB, and the unlimited warranty on the LB makes that area a slam dunk in favor of that unit. Cleaning the iolite is easy IMO. You just need a pipe cleaner and a cotton swab or two. Spilling butane is also a non-issue IMO. It evaporates almost instantly and it's easy to protect your hands, if that's a concern.

To me the big difference between the two, aside from size, noise, etc., is that once you load the iolite, it needs no attention until the bowl is spent. The LB takes some stirring, especially if you load a lot. You also have to make and break battery contact. In my use of the two, I've found the LB much better for getting small measured doses. I find that I usually vape the whole bowl with the iolite, instead of taking a hit or two and turning it off. Both units are very portable and stealthy (in their own ways), but quite different. If $ or reliability wasn't a factor and I could only have one, I'd have trouble making a choice. Good thing I've got both. ;)

aero18 said:
the iOlite does not warrant its very expensive cost ($250?!).
That's the retail, but discounts on this model are widely available. You can pick one up on eBay for $160-170, and FC members can get one (any color) with a free Space Case grinder from gratefulbuys.com for $199. Personally, I don't consider any vape in the $200-300 range to be "very expensive", considering the models that sell for $500+. Some might consider it expensive for what you get, but it's purely personal opinion. Hell, I thought $80 was way high for my first vape years ago, and that was a POS. :lol:

max,

efex

Well for me price and reliability are big issues with me. One thing that's making me lean over towards the magic flight is the warranty and the size of the unit. I am just super worried about combustion. :(

efex,

efex

aero18 said:
I have to actually purposely try to reach combustion with my Launch Box. IMO, people who complain of the device torching their herb either do not have enough experience with the device or have a faulty device.
Have you actually been able to reach combustion and if so how long of just leaving the battery in ?

efex,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
I only have the Iolite, but I would say to get both.

Pro's of Iolite: I can get about 9 sessions on a fill of butane, looks like a camera case, sorta looks like an electronic gadget, and in 21 straight days of use have not managed to combust yet.

Con's of Iolite: It does hiss rather loudly when it's heating/reheating, does not turn off immediately, and the included draw stem seems that it is clogging up (a clean should do the trick, we will see). And it can get rather uncomfortably hot to hold.

Pro's of MF Launchbox; totally silent, can use in windy conditions (good for hiking), lifetime warranty

Con's of MF Launchbox; none that I see.

For what it's worth, I'll probably end up getting a Launchbox as well. The main thing that these 2 units share in common is extreme portability and stealth factor. Obviously, you give up the ability to control the temperature at which you vape if you choose either of these.

Tom

tdavie,

aero18

vaporist
efex said:
aero18 said:
Have you actually been able to reach combustion and if so how long of just leaving the battery in ?
Personally, I have not. My friend did. Tar'd it up a bit too. I don't think the herbs actually caught on fire though. There was tar and very black spent herbs in the trench though.

aero18,

rayski

tdavie said:
Obviously, you give up the ability to control the temperature at which you vape if you choose either of these.
Not really so with the lb. Using different draw speeds and the sip method, you have some control of the lb's temperature.

rayski,

rayski

efex said:
I am just super worried about combustion. :(
That's why I think combustion will be no problem for you if you buy the lb. The couple of times I've had some combustion, I didn't tap and shake or was inattentive while taking a draw. You won't let that happen.

rayski,

efex

Guess I'm going to commit to the LB. Anyone know of a good place to buy from that will ship to Canada(and fast) for a low to zero cost? I don't wanna pay a hefty price in duties either =[. I hear i can get 12% off if i use vapeworld coupon.

**edit** just ordered one from vapeworld i am extremely excited to get the unit !!!!! thanks every1 for there help :):D:cool:

efex,

Acaseofchaos

Mine shipped today. There are many sites that have the coupons for a certain % off, usually around 10%. I know many people who have bought the iolite for 150, and i told a few others about the launch box, and they said they will probably get one too.

Acaseofchaos,

ClemsonVapor489

I've had the LB for three weeks now, I've accidentally combusted once, and I was being a moron...if you pay attention to your box and don't leave the battery in (too long, a few seconds is fine) while not drawing, you'll be fine.

Can't speak on the iolite, but I don't like the idea of any kind of sound for the work I can do with the LB (in-theater vaping!).

Edited in a dash.

ClemsonVapor489,

efex

Yea i am still waiting on my unit to ship i ordered from vapeworld =], hopefully it comes soon i am really excited!!

efex,
G

Don't really care for either! one looks like it could kill you in ten years!
and the other one looks like it could be a pain in the ass with the batteries!
like i said.... :2c:

Guest,

lepstadder

I like the idea of the launch box but i have to be able to clean it for traveling.

And the iolite is prone to breaking parts.

But i need a portable vape i can use in the middle of the woods

in less than 2 weeks!!!

lepstadder,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
I think the supreme vaporizer might be something that would suit your needs as well.

About the same price as an iolite but I've seen some serious milk shots with the Supreme. Might be worth checking out.

stonemonkey55,

Konrad_Zuse

stonemonkey55 said:
I think the supreme vaporizer might be something that would suit your needs as well.

About the same price as an iolite but I've seen some serious milk shots with the Supreme. Might be worth checking out.
The only thing is that you have to use a lighter, and you could get the vapor genie in that case. For the same price you can get the iolite with the free bonus gifts of some site.

Konrad_Zuse,

lepstadder

I will look into the supreme.

I love the idea of the genie but(correct me if i am wrong)

i believe that the main stem is wood, which would be impossible to get clean

lepstadder,

rayski

lepstadder said:
I will look into the supreme.

I love the idea of the genie but(correct me if i am wrong)
leelieve that the main stem is wood, which would be impossible to get clean
I wonder if the Launch Tube would be possible to clean. Although, I don't see it on the BlissSville web site anymore.

rayski,

Meowz

This was a great/helpful discussion pour moi. efex, where did you end up buying from?

And does anyone have any idea on shipping restrictions in the US? I happen to live in PA and am not sure if I can even have a vape mailed to my house... Halp!

Meowz,

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
Launch Box! I have not tried the Iolite but I have seen it and read about it. It has quite a few negative reviews around the net (as well as positives of course).

The Launch Box is great! The only thing about the Launch box is that there can be a bit of a learning curve, and its performance depends very much on having good batteries. I was using weak batteries for the first few weeks (I made the mistake of ordering a "bare" box instead of the whole package with batteries and charger). So I was getting very light vapor even on fully charged batteries.

But last week I bought the Eneloop batteries that now come with it, and YOWZA! Works like a charm! And yes, I can easily combust with it if I'm not careful, or at least get harsher vapor than I choose if I don't start inhaling in time. But I prefer it that way - once you get the technique down it gives you great hits and quickly. I can get CLOUDS with mine, or I can get quick light hits, depending on how I inhale.

Go for the Launch Box! Cheaper AND probably better!

I also have a vapor genie and like it, but it's much bigger than the LB and it requires fire.

MoeOnTheMoon,

Kush Vapez

might be a bit late. but i got my iolite off ebay.. for about $160 american.

I fucking love it. But then again, its a first vape for me. Maybe one day ill move up to a big boy cano or ssv.

Kush Vapez,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom