Log Vapes Versus The Shiny Stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weedemon

enthusiast
Shit, I'm gonna go broke hanging out on FC.

I've always been turned off by the logs because of the long heat up time and lack of a temperature control. How does the quality of vape from the well known log vapes (RockZap, Underdog, HI & Purple Days) compare to the "higher end" non log vapes? All I'm concerned with is a nice thick vapor and the ability to hit it through my bubbler (which I know can be done). The videos of the vapor quality of the logs - seemed to me - to look a bit on the light side. Why do so many of you vape enthusiasts love the logs?

Most logs are designed so that you can leave them on 24/7 if you wish. (or you can put them on a timer to to come on an hour before you will be back home/wakeup or whatever :) )

you can alter the heat with different amperage power plugs (1000cooler-2000hotter mili amp (mA) adapters at 12volts.

I can tell you that the Underdog log vape is a fantastic match to use on a bubbler or bong and requires no extra parts (usually, maybe there is an exception I haven't thought of! ;) ) It will also make super thick clouds. clouds that are equal or better in thickness to any of my other vapes! and the first hit is just lovely. but the taste diminishes quickly after though. nice thick clouds are headed your way if you get a UD my friend! :D twigs run hotter than logs btw. and mention abysmal vapor when you make your purchase! he needs the help! :)

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
The amperage makes no difference. If you want to change the temperature you need to adjust the voltage. 12V at the cooler end and 14V at the hotter end. YMMV.

hazy,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Yeah, I'm also curious what kind of plugs WD is referring to.

Could it be he's using two different power supplies, one rated for 1000mAh and one for 2000mAh?

If that's the case and your 2000mAh makes it run hotter it's probably because it just happens to give of a higher voltage then your 1000mAh one. A device will just draw as many mAhs as it needs, which will be around 500mAh for current log vapes , perhaps 600mAh around the 15V mark but never more (unless it's defective perhaps).

OhTheAgony,
Reactions: weedemon

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
I think by "plugs" he means plugpacks or "wallwarts".

FYI, mAh does not equal mA. An amp is a rate of current flow, whereas an amp-hour is an amount of current. For example, a battery may have a capacity of 1000mAh. This means that it can deliver 100mA for 10 hours, or 500mA for 2 hours, etc. Similarly, if a log vape uses 500mA, then if it is left on all day, it will use 12000mAh (or 12Ah) per day.

hazy,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
You're right Hazy. I was just using the mAh abbreviation without thinking, I should have just used mA instead.

OhTheAgony,

ll11

I have to throw in, my Zap is a beast. It produces more vapor than I can take in in a single hit and even the second hit is more than I take all at once. After those two, it thins out. I have zero respiratory problems (I hope) and good lung capacity (I think), and I've never wished for a heavier hitter.

Second this. Despite the smaller stem loads the crz can put out bigger clouds than I can handle.

ll11,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Mom's point about "bonding" with the log vape ("say hello to my little friend") is because it seems to have a sense of aliveness to it, sort of like a guitar, etc. The wood box vapes have this quality but not quite to the degree of the logs.

Nothing wispy about my PD or CRZ. It's possible that every unit is slightly different, though.
I started off with a SSV so I'm qualified to state this by comparison. In fact when I first got my PD a few years ago it wasn't long before I semi retired the SSV. The PD was just right for personal use.
The warm up time is well worth it especially since you can leave it on all the time.
There are times that I have to rely on the carburetor hole on my glass tooty to cool off the heavy vapor coming in from each of these fine devices. I sometimes tap onto it repeatedly while hitting so there's cool air coming in intermittently.

These log vapes can get pretty shiny too with some elbow grease.

jeffp,

weedemon

enthusiast
Well I have 2 plugs here. one is 12v 1000mA(came with my PD) and the other is 12v 1200mA(came with my UD) and the 2nd one gets my logs running a little hotter.

I could have swore I read in the UD thread that dave himself said anything in the 1000-2000 mA range will do the trick.

weedemon,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
Yes either will work, no problem. But the phenomenon you're referring to would be because the hotter one is running at a slightly higher voltage. Due to manufacturing tolerances, the power supplies are not identical even when they have the same ratings written on the label. It is just a matter of luck whether you get one that runs hotter or cooler, and doesn't have anything to do with the current rating. You just want something that is rated at least 1000mA. OTA explained it in his post above.

hazy,
Reactions: weedemon

weedemon

enthusiast
thx for clearing that up guys :)

there is a device available to make the logs run hotter though? this is the variable voltage power supply then?

weedemon,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
Yes get a variable voltage power supply, it will satisfy all your needs. I've got one and I will never go back to a fixed voltage power supply. Make sure it has a voltage display of some sort (analog or digital, doesn't matter). I believe Rick will be selling one soon, but there are other places you can get them, like Ebay and Amazon.

hazy,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
You could just get an Herbalaire for $180? Durable, efficient, multiple modes, it made a great first vape, and still does, and will back up the Cloud nicely when I get it.

t-dub,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I can really recommend the variable PSU I have to other 220V users. It also shows how many Amps are drawn on the display, and you can immediately tell when the power plug doesn't connect well (I'm not sure about other users, but that's something that happens quit a lot over here) because it will say 0,0A in the display when the connection fails. I find it very reassuring not having to guess anymore when I have a good connection or not, I can see why some of the logs (or was it just the PD?) had LEDs on them.

Dave recommends a 1000 to 2000mA PSU out of safety btw. With one of those you'll never draw more power then the PSU can provide with a log vape.

OhTheAgony,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Since the OP made his decision a page ago, has moved on and this thread has gone off topic, I think this party is over. Thanks for your input everyone. ;)

momofthegoons,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom