Discontinued Lil' Bud by Vapwood

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Where's Lil'Bud ? First one easy . Perhaps more to come
IMG_2455.jpg

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I killed a Bud. First time in a long time that I wasted a perfectly healthy soldier that had a bit of work invested in him, but there you have it. He was a bold warrior, a Black & Tan. The saw blade ripped through his little battery compartment with no mercy - and once that blade peeked through, I knew all hope was lost. Of course, it was my fault, set the saw blade at the wrong height, using the stripe on the unit to set the blade, but wrong side of the stripe. First time I did it this way, but no excuses - amateur mistake. While I wait for some stock to arrive, I was left to scour the shop looking for stock I can use. I found a small amount of Quilted Maple that was too small for a full sized QM unit, but not if I put a stripe of black walnut down the middle. This is my first attempt at a Yankee (pinstripe), but with Quilted Maple, let's hope I don't pull another magic act, and saw this lil' guy in half.

I'm finding the Blend blanks aren't bad to make. With the help of my planer and belt sander, I can make short work of varied sized stock, bringing everything to the same width and thickness without too much fuss. This makes joining the wood a pretty straightforward matter. I never have to touch a hand plane, because everything I'm working with fits though my bench top planer. These two machines are the reason I'm able to build Blends, and why I reset the price $20 lower.

Not a bad day for a work day. Today was my first day back in the NYC schools, teaching fire safety. With the little shop time I had, I was able to move forward on a couple of things, but any work I got done today was a bonus.

@P.A.M. that is awesome! I just spent ten minute staring at it, but no luck.

FOUND HIM!

You just gave me an idea for a LB Camo, or better yet, some grayish wood with faded tones, called the LB Shadow.

Last edited:

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Nice balance on the branch. How far back from waters edge is the tree?

Only the LB Shadow knows for sure? ( Love the Shadow idea.....)

Far enough that it would have landed on rock before water lol , living on the edge . Yes, balance is key , it was safe. I already warned Mike this is my "use it and abuse it" LB. within reason of course! its likely why Mike suggested it will look like my worned out homeplate pic 20 years from now :lol:

Good times , good times !

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I left the house so early this morning, I couldn't post. I got home early as well, spent some time in the shop, but not much. I mortised out some switch boxes, matched them nicely to their units. No matter how good a piece of stock comes off the saw / planer, it always needs a drop of hand chiseling / sanding to true it up completely. Next I have to complete the *boring of the holes* for the coil and taper. This is where being exact pays off, in a well aligned series of holes. Helps to put the coil in the center of the cavity, and all walls of equal thickness - which is important, as LB is virtually hollowed out from head to toe.

The unit is approximately 60 mm wide x 96 tall, and 30 thick. This is what gets hollowed out.

all mm's
Mortise: 20 x 25 x 75
Taper: 19 round x 22
Coil Cavity: 20 round x 25
Switch Box: 30 x 30 x 40 / with a 23 x 36 hole bored, edges squared

In that space goes one coil, switch, wires, terminals, battery. On the lighter woods, the battery weighs more than the unit.

I spent a lot of time commuting the last two days, and that's when I *think* about LB. I like to go over what I'm doing, imagining details in my head, going over ideas, thinking of new ways, ideas, and just allowing my mind to get creative. Sometimes I'm holding an LB while I'm doing this, rolling it around in my hands, working the button with different fingers - pinky, ring finger, middle, index, thumb. Holding LB at every angle, like a pipe, like a gun, thumb joint on the bottom corner of the switch box.

Must be really high cause I'm thinking out loud.
What if... the switch box bottom front corner was a bit rounder, and you placed the thumb on the switch. That puts the index finger on the back plate. With this grip, the switch would work better lower, say half way down the switch box. If you put your thumb joint on the corner, the thumb pad will land like dead center. I mean you can still use it that way now, but not as comfortable. We can't get that round on the back plate side, because of the back plate, but there is about 1/4 inch of solid wood on the bottom of the switch box that will give me a decent amount of clearance. Just talking about the bottom right front corner. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Musta been LB'ed pretty good last night, but I am going to play with rounding the front corner, and centering the switch on the switch box on a couple of units. Maybe it'll become mainstream, or possible wind up in the Uniq category.

The LB Shadow, or faded weathered LB, is possible with some natural products. Vinegar and steel wood will give you that washed out, gray, and faded look. You can also stain with black tea first for a darker gray. I'm going to work with some very special Maple.

A big slab of Curly Maple (a little different than QM) on its way to Vapwood HQ, along with eight, 2" square x 30 inch blanks of PH, Maple, Cherry, Walnut. This first batch of LB Elites will be cut from the Maple slab. This is an 8/4 unique board from woodworkerssource.com. I love getting stock from them, such high quality. It's hard to get sizes for LB in a lot of woods (except for the Blends), but I came across a unique curly maple slab at 1 3/4" thick x 8" wide x 36" long. This board will be cut up for a couple of projects, and as little waste as possible. The extra thickness will be sawn down to LB size (1 1/8 wide) leaving a full half inch for another project I'm working on. At 8 inches wide, I can easily get 2 or 3 units across, and possibly a switch box layer. I usually allow 5 or 6 inches per unit - so potentially 6 or 7 units lengthwise. That's somewhere between 12 and 21 LB LB bodies with a half inch of stock to be cut up for another job (the Alan project). Love not wasting wood.

I've also ordered more 320 grit sandpaper for the belt sander. I think this might be as high a grit as I need to go on the belt, and then hit with 400 and 600 by hand. The belts clog fast, but they sell an unclogging bar, also picked one up.

Along with that I had to get a 3/16 drill bit that will drill a relatively flat bottom hole. I usually use a forstner bit for the magnet holes, but I literally cannot find a 3/16 forstner, so I found a twist bit with a very small brad point. I may have to grind it down. I think it'll work out, and we'll get to use the smaller, just about as powerful, magnets. We'll see, I'm not 100% committed to the new magnets.

Word on Weed Prep
I am trying to see if there is an optimal drying time. Might vary strain to strain, but I know there is definitely a minimum, but is there a maximum time, before it has a negative effect? What I'm finding is that whatever it takes to get it to crumble very easily, is the right time, not longer. And once you get it to the right dryness level, crumble it up as much as you can. We aren't looking for fine dust, but very even powder with no lumps. This forms the best flower puck, and really can thicken vapor, eliminate harshness, with no hemp filter. That perfect pack really does enhance the session.

Lots of inquiries lately on when units will ship. I am working on getting about 10 units out this week, probably toward the end of the week - thinking Thursday possibly. I am working on it, but no guarantees.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Cool beans on everything, yea the rounded off button thing could work ! I dont think I'd use LB with my thumb but I can see a rounded corner being a comfortable rest area for the ring finger or any finger too!

Word on weed prep, I personally don't "prep" and it kicks ass. Not sure if lots of people ask you but i wouldn't bother putting too much emphasis into it . I personally think some people might look into other vapes or be turned off if they hear/think that they need to prep their herb a certain way to get good results. It isn't the case with the Lil' Bud at all in my personal experience. my :2c: . Perhaps I don't encounter problems because I shred with scissors giving a fine to medium grind, otherwise LB seems to be doing a great job preparing and vaping it for me :)

Vape On ! :rockon:

RushVaporTrails

I personally don't "prep" and it kicks ass

just wanna add that I have put a beautiful nug right into the stem and gotten vapor like I would doing the same thing in a vapacap.

Eventually I emptied the stem and crushed the remaining herb in a grinder and vaped that as well.

Obviously the nug wasn't the same experience as if I grinded the herb from the start but it was a successful experiement. I am sure @Bravesst will chime in and say grinding the herb is going to give you better results and no doubt he is right, but I was happily surprised vaping a nug in the LB was possible.

it was just a one time thing as I haven't tried it since and its probably important to throw a really potent awesome strain in there as the nug, I don't think a generic nug of plain jane would even be worth experimenting with.

RushVaporTrails,

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
just wanna add that I have put a beautiful nug right into the stem and gotten vapor like I would doing the same thing in a vapacap.

Eventually I emptied the stem and crushed the remaining herb in a grinder and vaped that as well.

Obviously the nug wasn't the same experience as if I grinded the herb from the start but it was a successful experiement. I am sure @Bravesst will chime in and say grinding the herb is going to give you better results and no doubt he is right, but I was happily surprised vaping a nug in the LB was possible.

it was just a one time thing as I haven't tried it since and its probably important to throw a really potent awesome strain in there as the nug, I don't think a generic nug of plain jane would even be worth experimenting with.

Cool about the nug!

And indeed , if I happen to have a bigger chunk in the mix, I'll break it down later like you did for the nug.

I think it's all relative to ones personal preferences or simply the way we individually are used do things , our environment , privacy to leave herb out in open , etc. Perhaps having abit less dry herb makes the session a couple hits longer but I believe the end result is the same . I know I can really low temp that shit with the LB on my first few hits if I wish , barely changing the herbs color which makes for yummy enjoyable hits .

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
@P.A.M. I love cool beans.

@RushVaporTrails I think it also may have something to do with how you pull, your vape signature so to speak. I don't like air sweeping past, I'd rather have it soak through slowly, the way I pull, slow and hard. If I like a rush of air sweeping past the nug, not really a vacuum lock, the nug might work better.

I feel like I'm moving in slow motion today. I hate that. Not sure why, I'm sure I'll pick up the pace this afternoon. It's the wife's birthday, took her out last night, and she's actually going out with friends today. I had my preloaded cartridge vape pen, almost took a hit in the bar. Some guy had a what I assume is a nicotine vape, discreetly taking very small hits with no vapor showing. Vaping dry flower is not quite ready for that level of discretion, mostly because of the smell. I've been to 3 dispensaries in NY, one is actually got some nice product - Med Men, only draw back is the expense, as it can now way keep up with the economical vaping of flower in my LB. I can vape almost day in and day out, and not really consume more than an oz in 3 weeks. That's a $100 dollars a week or so. The cartridges are anywhere from 85 to 95 dollars. If it was solo use, I'd kill a cartridge of Medmen in two days max, Verio would last about 4 days, but not as effective. Great for those times I cannot whip out LB, which is rare. I think the convenience level of the cartridge has motivated me to pay more attention to the dry and crumble process, so my sessions are more effortless, with less stirring and reloading. I think it also improves taste, as I'm enjoying this current stem to the max. I love my Bud...

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Happy Sunday Morning,

We have good news, the 3/16" magnets work. The magnet that mounts in the unit is 1/4" deep, the one in the plate is an 1/8". That has resulted in a little less than an 1/8" of shrinkage. In addition, I had to sink the taper a hair deeper. The coil still remains at approximately 25 mm tall in a 30 mm tall cavity. We've got a 1/4 inch (6 mm) between stem and coil. I am very excited to try this configuration. Only a few of my units will have this feature (3/16 magnet), but this should become mainstream for future LB's. I may still try some old 1/4 magnets on the doors to see what kind of feel it has. I'm looking for the crisp snap that I've grown to love. Either way, LB just shrunk an 1/8", should that be LB 2.4? I'm loosing track. I guess the Elite will technically be 3.0.

Sunday Coupon Code Time
In honor of our LB getting littler, the coupon code of the day will save you 10% on select items, including:
-Blends
-Uniqs (posted in store, not gallery)
-Cherry
-Walnut

Okay, here's where it gets complicated - 3 different codes.

For Blends put in code: SHRINKAGEBLEND
For Uniqs put in code: SHRINKAGEUNIQ
For Walnut and Cherry put in code: SHRINKAGECLASSIC

These units, part of batch 9 at this point, will get the smaller magnets, as will the Elite.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
No words. These units are all posted in the Uniq Gallery with reference #'s and prices. You can also PM me here. All of these are Batch 9 units, 3/16 magnets, 2mm shorter.

Cherry Classic
20180923_150433.jpg

Highly Figured Walnut Classic
20180923_150620.jpg

Black & Tan Blend
20180923_150739.jpg

Highly Figured Walnut Classic
20180923_150811.jpg

Cherry Classic
20180923_150840_1.jpg

20180923_150739.jpg

Purple Heart Classic
20180923_150707.jpg

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Holy cheese those look awesome. Wow the grain really pops! That black and tan looks so classy, too. I'm over here drinking at these wishing I could but one now! That first highly figured has some straight gorgeous grain. They've never looked better
You got taste , Diggz , that 1st walnut piece is jaw dropping gorgeous! I second your comment on the Black & Tan

Battery : the last week and a half , I've noticed every time I put a pair of batteries on the charger , they are both at the same identical voltage. Different from pair to pair. .. Talk about routine on my part, sync on the 30Q's part and consistency on LB's part !!!

Not planned or anything , I use 1 cell a day, fresh cell in morning , charge them in numbered pairs ; Batt#1-2, batt#3-4).

I double checked the cells with my voltage Metre tonight non believer :cool: that 4 times or more of this happening in a row was possible and that my charger must be fried . Nope , nothing wrong with my charger, both cells add same voltage . Simple routine and consistency . Freaky .

Not sure how many bowls (7-9?) and how many hits per bow (5-10? Depending how big and how much time I have ) I'd need a statistician :lol: .

I can drain batteries down to 3.75 - 3.60's without much need to adjust preheat other then last 2 bowls if going under 3.75. Feels
Quite Regulated for a unregulated guy! I love my LB, it's that good

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Here is my Black & Tan Blend fully assembled and buffed up. I'm testing the crap out of this unit right now. He's a full 1/8" shorter, with the stem sunk a bit deeper. We have a closer coil to stem distance by about 1 mm. As another trial, I shaved 2 mm's (19/20) off the stem taper as well. Now I can load right near the tip once again, the stem is sunk, and the unit is more compact. I think I've zoned in on the absolute perfect coil to basket screen / to stem / to load distances.

@P.A.M. This truly is manual, or self regulated, without the governor and max cut off of regulated. It took me a couple of stems to get used to the extra available power, yes there is even more power, and not combust. I went back to a smaller coil compartment (20mm) because my coils are now pretty tight and perpendicular at 14 mm round and 25 mm tall. The smaller compartment will reach max temp quicker, as will the shorter distances, especially when foil lined. It IS up to you to control the button and your breath to achieve the perfect pull, but with a little practice you can tame the beast. I think, even with the Elite, you still need to learn to draw and press, there's just a max limit you can set for wattage or temp.

EDIT: I just realized that I now have two ex-daily drivers gathering dust. They are all well tested and ready to squeeze into batch 8 - $150 plus shipping. The unit below (bottom pic right) and a Figured Walnut with an edge bead. PM me for PayPal info.

20180924_070001.jpg

20180924_065059.jpg

Last edited:

SnowDome

The units you have been posting lately are simply gorgeous, from the figured walnut to the new blends (your latest one with 5 reminds me of an equalizer, looks amazing) every one stands out on it's own. I can only hope mine turns out half as nice as some of those.

I love seeing the lb progress. From when I first read about the 1.0, then seeing it evolve into the current 2.0 (2.2 now?). This thread has become my nightly read to see how it's going.

Keep up the amazing work.

beyond6strings

Just another traveller in the Cannaverse
Either way, LB just shrunk an 1/8", should that be LB 2.4? I'm loosing track. I guess the Elite will technically be 3.0.

I think I've zoned in on the absolute perfect coil to basket screen / to stem / to load distances.

Mike, you're so much like me and other artists/craftsmen I know. You will never be satisfied, you will never have arrived, and the LB will never be perfect to you. You're not built that way, and I think you'd get bored making the same perfect thing day after day.

The improvements will be more incremental, but they'll continue to happen just the same, cuz that's the way you're built. And that makes me, and lots of FCers very happy.

And the LB 2.whatever I have is a vape killer. Just an absolute beast. I can see how @P.A.M. gave away his vapcaps. I'm not there yet...but...I NEVER thought that was even possible. I've barely touched my other vapes since I watched Mike's tutorial because I'm getting everything I want from my LB. And as I near my one-year anniversary for vaping exclusively, I finally have what I've been searching for after more than a decade of looking.

And Mike I bet the blends will be the future for LB, self-regulated or regulated. It's such a great look, I bet you sell them 2-1 over solid Cherry, Walnut or Maple.

Have a great week FCers.

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
@beyond6strings Yes, that is the way I'm built. When I owned a gym full of heavy equipment, I'd incorporate new equipment and rearrange everything on a regular basis because I was convinced it could always be better.

With the talk about distances, I've discovered something that @Alan could probably explain. So the coil distance from the basket hasn't changed, like 4 or 5 mm's. What shrunk was the distance from the stem insertion to the basket screen from the top side. I snuck it up pretty close. I had trouble with the load, seemed too hot to handle, yet gummed up. No problem getting vapor, but combustion was way to easy on anything but a battery under 380. I had already shortened the stem by a mm or so, but I went back and shortened some more. I like loading near the tip, anything else seems to gum up. I haven't measured, but I probably shaved off 2 full mm's maybe 2.5. Still a great, tight fit, plenty of room for screen and product, but suddenly the signature LB perfect heat exchange is back. The tube must be more than 2 mm's back from the basket screen, at least with the coil 4 or 5 mm's under it. That's a distance of say 6.5mm's or a fat quarter inch for optimal coil distance in this current 20 mm x 30 mm ss foil lined chamber and 14 mm x 25 mm coil. I'm loving my stubby stem as well. It's actually hard to tell it's been cut down. The overall height of LB with stem inserted, is almost a 1/4 inch shorter. That is a substantial change, and may warrant v2.some fucking thing, especially with the smaller magnets - which still SNAP, BTW.

nonbeliever

I have what may sound like an odd question perhaps, but how do you carry your Lil bud when out and about? Just pocket it? In a case? Do you remove the stem and carry separately? Do you carry multiple stems? I’m used to pocketing Pen Vapes (and for many years a small dugout and one hitter), be interesting to see how the Lil Bud compares, and how others carry.

beyond6strings

Just another traveller in the Cannaverse
I have what may sound like an odd question perhaps, but how do you carry your Lil bud when out and about? Just pocket it? In a case? Do you remove the stem and carry separately? Do you carry multiple stems? I’m used to pocketing Pen Vapes (and for many years a small dugout and one hitter), be interesting to see how the Lil Bud compares, and how others carry.

For short out-and-about I pocket my LB with the battery tab in place, and then I use an empty battery case to hold two filled standard short stems which fit like a glove. Boom.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Quick , 1 massive rip video . Well you be the judge :ko: this is stock LB , no water , no accessories, no gimmick. @GreenHopper and @nonbeliever , thanks again for watching!

Special thank you to Mike for making it all possible and happening, you the man, man !! :clap:

Edit : @nonbeliever , I also pocket the LB and/or have a case for it too . I pocket the roasting tube as well, sometimes in same pocket as LB or other. I try to keep a pocket only for the LB in a pants , hoodie, or coat pocket . Cargo pants/shorts work best but even dress pants work . My LB's been to church ! I carry a small vial with preshredded herb in it . Boom ! Lol @beyond6strings ! Nice!

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Just call me Mama Bear...

Assembly and messing with distances from stem to basket screen has been enlightening. A little distance means a lot. I'm working on testing two units with the two different distances - one full height, one shorty. I have the opportunity, so why not?

Lots of variables to play with, the two units, battery level, different size stems. I need to do some blind pulls to see what's going on. I think I'm so freaking high right now, I can't tell anything. But I'm looking for the sizing that's just right. I believe it is some where between these to units.

I have some play on the coil side, as the switch box can change height by up to 6 mm, if I had to shrink it. It's the battery side and magnets that set the height. The formula is easy, I need 75 mm for the battery compartment, plus 11 mm on each end for a 1/4" magnet, and only 9 mm for a 3/16" magnet. for saving of 4 mm / more than 1/8". On the coil side that 1/8 can come from the coil half or switch half. Right now, it's about half each.

So Mama bear is looking for the distances that are just right, but I don't think any distances are wrong, just deliver differently, hotter, better taste, faster, more mellow, efficient, cool, less button, more button, and on and on... I'd like to hit the mid ground.

My prediction, LB will be staying at its new height, but the switch box will shrink a bit, giving me more room to play with on the coil half. I like taste, even at the expense of a little speed, but testing is still in progress as I continue to assemble batch 8, preparing for what stands to be an unprecedented batch 9.

AN OBSERVATION
It's easier to control Big Lil' Bud, might have to maintain the above switch box sizing. Definitely makes LB more user friendly. I included everything else the same in the build processes, so as to rule out the coil, switch, or foil being responsible, this is all about distances.

Last edited:
Top Bottom