Discontinued Lil' Bud by Vapwood

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
What it really comes down to is it's a really good design, done well, and it's pretty much an open book. I'm happy to answer any questions you have.

Quick Update
I just bumped up wait times for both paid (full and down payment) and wait list, by 2 weeks.

Paid: 4 to 6 weeks
Wait List: 10 to 12 weeks

Batch 4 is now full, unless people opt out for wood changes. Officially taking orders for batch 5. This in no way effects you if you're already on the wait list. I'll be notifying the next ten in line on the wait list to step up for batch 5, but paid orders will begin to fill it as they come in. Batch 5 is scheduled for walnut, but I may make it my first combo batch.

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Good morning all. Only half a day in the shop today, but it should be a good half day. Working on back plates, battery compartment floor, tabs.

Last night I was testing a bit, and I noticed I was bumped off my perfect session. Things felt hotter, harsher. This has happened many times before with other vapes. After a normal day of vaping, my throat gets dry, and seems to effect my ability to get a nice smooth session. I think I'm just done for the day, and my body is telling me to stop vaping. It's happened with every vape I've ever owned.

Every time this issue arrives, it disappears the next morning. It's as if my sensory feedback loop is blocked and my timing goes to shit. To compare it to eating or drinking, no matter how much you love something, when you've had too much it tastes like crap.

It always leaves me wondering WTF (I can get pretty OCD about this when my DD isn't humming). So, this morning I only had about .04 left in my doob tube, and I cleaned my screen and loaded up (clogged screens seem to have a similar effect). When I micro dose, I'll take a sip, put down for five minutes, take another sip. I got like six nice and tasty sips, and as always, reinforced my confidence in LB's ability to extract from almost no material. Have you guys seen what .04 looks like?

So there is another variable in the mix, user vape fatigue, tired lungs, sore throat. I could keep rambling as that .04 has got me buzzed pretty good. I love this job!

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Afternoon Update
Was busy all morning doing not vape related stuff (believe it or not?). Most of you know I'm a retired FDNY captain, was a gym owner, and now I teach Fire Safety Education to school children, still working for the FDNY, but only a day or two a week. My coworkers and I, other retired guys, travel around the city, mostly to public elementary schools from Pre K to 5th grade. I absolutely love doing it. So that left me with a half a shop day, and I was tired from teaching, hadda crash for a half hour or so. So shop time was brief but very productive.

I want to make things better and better, I'm not one to just sit with something good, it's about constant tweaks, for as long as possible. The coil is the juice behind LB, and where I spend a lot of time thinking, trying stuff out, just to see what happens. Lots of great inventions started out as mistakes.

Talking with Alan about the diameter of the coil, I kinda realized it's not a perfect circle, more of a ping pong paddle where it's the full diameter, including handle on one side, and smaller diameter, no including the handle on the other. It's actually a spiral, my avatar illustrates it perfectly. It's not a perfect circle, but it's in a perfectly circular hole.

So the outer post is a the lower tip of the red spiral (avatar), and the fat red circle in the middle is the center post. Ironically, the avatar also demonstrates how the inside post can be round, but the outside post needs to be flat. When mounting the coil to the one inch disk it rises vertically out of, I have to drill 2 holes to fixate the coil and allow the leads to pass through to the switch compartment. The placement of these two holes is very important. I've been trying to work this out for my *process*, because this is a very difficult part of this job, and if a slightly different configuration worked better, it might also be faster.

I had one more coil to make to finish off batch 3, and the minor variation wasn't happening. I wound up going back to my original configuration, but did something different with the mounting process, nothing that effects the end result, just a more efficient way to do it - which is always an improvement.

Batch 3 is complete. Tomorrow I will finish off safety tabs, and begin to pack up the orders. Last batch I made a couple of minor errors, left out batteries, so I have to take my time getting everything just right. Anybody I owe batteries or stems to will get them with this shipment.

Friday is a very realistic projection for batch 3 shipping.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Finding my LB very efficient in both power and consumption.

I don't fine grind my herb , I don't dry it much either, I jump between strains, I really do things my way.

It probably affects a few things but It accomplishes it's goal everytime. consistently from one strain to another. It doesn't give me time to tune the vape to a constant strain and dryness but I like getting a full on view of what to expect.

When I get a new vape I really dig in there and find ways (technique) I will be confident with going forward.

To touch the "taste" subject again, the taste & after taste is great . I'm tasting my buds post-session like never before . I will have to sit down with My glass cover heater HI log(with glass stem) because they are both very similar in taste. Some FC members suggest the glass core heater Logs to be for connaisseurs or flavor chasers. I don't consider myself either but I can see how it is or why they say that . Taste and performance is incredible. The LB feels the same . The after taste is perhaps greater on LB then my Log. Both are very smooth .

No VAS here, I have what I need . Quality desktop, quality portable. I don't doubt there are other great performing vapes out there. I doubt they would give me the same bang for buck has these two do.

I don't achieve a dark abv with LB lately (possibly due to coarser, less dry herb then Recommended and microdosing) but it is evenly roasted, no dark spots. And man does it ever hit me! It makes me wonder how it still looks almost fresh sometimes after 4-6 hits yet I'm so vaked. My Hi log gives me the same sensation . Such a light colored yet spent abv. I could save it , crush it and vape it again during hard times but I just eat it as I go nowadays, it's extracted no doubt , pure and clean .

Since my abv doesn't get dark, smell isn't really noticible with LB. I've had vapes more smelly then this. Again compares to my glass HI log .

The advantage over my log is the on-demand feature and portability of LB, I can consecutively hit the same stem more times with LB then my log. That said the glass stem from my log gets hot and needs cool down after a few hits..

I look forward to my LB vs HI match up as I can't tell off hand which as better flavor or more potent , etc. its that close.

EDIt: I don't live with my HI log as I can't use it in small home live in (HI needing to be plugged and all.) So I need to setup a date with it to compare both . Here is a pic of both.
uClLRb8.jpg

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I think I finally worked out the paid orders and waiting list, or at least how to explain the process to potential Lil' Budders.

I'm going out on a limb right now, but it looks like 2 weeks per batch. This batch I managed 11, but projected 10. In order to preserve quality and continued improvements, that is what it is for now.

Not to project too far, batch 3 is shipping by April 1 (hopefully tomorrow), batch 4 by April 15, and batch 5 by May 1. Pretty simple, if you buy today you're in batch 5, as batch 4 is full. If batch 5 doesn't seem to be filling up, I start to contact the waiting list to fill it. Pretty simple.

The waiting list is then harder to project, because it is affected by how many paid orders are processed in the meantime. Here's the cool part, at any time, you can jump yourself from wait list to paid by putting down $50. You'll need to pay in full before shipping.

These are approximates, things can shift at any time. Remember, it's just me, and that's why prices are reasonable for high quality. The other side of the coin is you have to have a bit of patience. At least we're talking about days and weeks, not months and years.

SESSION UPDATE
All the taste talk lately got me thinking. I had a busy day yesterday, light vape day, fresh lungs last night. I wanted to keep it that way and stay low temp, so here is what I did.

To vape at lower temps, the heat source needs to be stable, and the draw slow. I preheat, basically held the button for 3 or 4 seconds, and draw very slowly and softly. Taste heaven. Visible vapor is less, ABV is lighter, but taste and smoothness were unreal. This can only be done with lots of heat and a real soft draw. If I don't hold the button for a few seconds first, it forces me to draw faster / stronger. So for you taste chasers, give the pre heat, super slow / soft draw (PHSSSD) technique a try.

I guess LB is pretty versatile. I think it's because the coil is in an all wood housing, a very efficient, controllable, set up that contains the heat, only to be pulled into the herb by your draw. I've said this before, but I believe there is zero conduction going on here because the herb is surrounded by ALL WOOD - a major design milestone (thanks @Alan). That is the true inspiration behind LB.

Tasty sips or monster rips, the heat is completely under your control.

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Really excited about my trip to cannabis legal Colorado on April 18th. To top it off, I'll be there for the entire 4/20 weekend - super psyched. I need to get batch 4 completed before I go, and put a dent in batch 5.

My process for the back plate got really good. I like the final design I'm settling on a hair thicker with rounder edges. This has complicated the safety slot, as the material is about 25 percent thicker, and because it's end grain, difficult to work with. I do everything to avoid *fussing* with any aspect of LB building. With some things you really have no choice, such as building and installing the coil. The fussing is what makes it work so good. But the slot should be quick, and it's not - YET. I have a few ideas I need to try to take this half a day job, and turn it into 30 minutes. After all, there are people out there who want their Lil' Buds, and I don't blame 'em.

Last edited:

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Quick questions for everyone , what type of screens that can be used with stem? and best way to clean a wooden stem ? All for future reference & purposes only.

I've heard of S&B basket screens? How do they look like and how do they work efficient wise?

I use the screen that came with LB , its tight enough and works good, am wondering about replacement screens that seal tight with stem, either walled or rimmed that don't allow for air gap between screen and stem.

As for cleaning , I figure scraping the wood stem with a knife can work good , quick pass of sanding paper or steel wool after maybe but what if someone wants to reclaim or really really clean it , any suggestions?

Cool, Bravesst, id be excited too for such a trip that lands on 4/20 as well! You've been a over achiever building us these fine vapes, good for you on taking some time ! If you guys come North side of the border sometime , I'll try and go meet you 's for sure !

Trying to go darker with my LB but thinking I need to dry my herb more and use more then 0.03 lol.. experimenting with screen distances regardless. It's hard to know what works best because it melts my face on every bowl :D

cpk

Brother of the Leaf
I am currently using the S&B screen baskets and they are working great. Thanks to one of our loyal FCer's he sent me some to try out. I like them because they are built to last. They fit inside of the LB stem by Alan perfectly. You can fully seat the basket in the stem and the rim fits perfectly on the lip of the stem. I am able to really get a good tamp and spin on the load and am now getting a darker abv. The load also seems to be vaporizing more evenly without the occasional hot spot I was getting with just a screen. I am thinking of getting a fine grinder to get some better loads also.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I like this screen a lot: >>dome screen on ebay

I worked 10 solid hours yesterday, and damn if it was 5pm before I knew it. I didn't even post onm FC. Good news, batch 3 units are done, but still need to be packed up, brought to PO. That is a much bigger job than it sounds. I apologize for the delays, but that is the nature of a one man operation, especially if I want to keep prices down, which is one of my main goals.

I agree that cleaning the stem with a pocket knife works well, only I don't like to clean stems too much. The coated stem holds the screen in place, which is vital. Loose screen makes it hard to get an even tamp. I've taken to cleaning the stem with a wood dowel, pushing out any major build up, but leaving nice and coated.

I'd like to try the S & B screen. I know Alan feels a heavy screen will also steel away heat, but a heavy duty screen will stay in place - very important. The basket screen that sits at the base of the bowl is very fine, so it won't rob too much heat.

@cpk
Have you tried drying and breaking up by hand? Put under a light bulb for 20, 30 minutes in a small bowl. Break up to an evenly fluffy powder, with no little nuggets. For me this is easier than dealing with grinders. It would also help get you that perfect tamp, eliminating, as much as possible, any hot spots.

Last edited:
Bravesst,
Reactions: P.A.M.

Anaconda Gs

Vapor Adventures
From the timing of it, I think I will jump in on batch 6/7. I might have to look into a stem that goes to 14mm so that I can do a WONG because I love my water pipes.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
@Anaconda Gs
I can order any custom wood stem, M2M adapter, or 14mm configuration, just tell me what you'd like, and I'll get in in my next order of stems from @Alan. You can actually contact Alan yourself, and order direct if that suits you. The one thing I cannot do, is turn stems (no lathe). One day...

I gotta say, I love my DD from batch 2. Performance is top notch, an almost imperceptible difference from batch one functionally. It's one of those light, straight grain, walnut units. Next trip to the lumber yard, I gotta really hunt down some unique walnut grain.

Cherry is a more stable wood, as far as workability, than walnut, but both tolerate heat way beyond the temps they're exposed to. I know this from applying beeswax with a heat gun. As much as wood is not a good conductor of heat, when you aim a heat gun directly at it, it'll get too hot to handle, with absolutely no adverse affect, or anywhere near combustion.

G1000

Flavor savorer
Hey y'all just wanted to update some of you on my thoughts about the Lil' Bud. I haven't posted in a while but I've had a lil' bud since batch one and I've been using it at least 3 times weekly since then. It really is such an interesting unit. Every time I vape I feel like I become slightly more in one with it. Now when I say that, I mean it really is an individualized unit. I have various techniques but it's impossible to exactly describe to someone else (who isn't a vape user to begin with) how to feel the vapor forming.

That's the real beauty of this unit (and I suppose on-demand vaping in general); that you really learn how the heat is forming the vapor, and exactly how to build up and control that heat, with your breath. After using many vapes this process becomes easier to adapt to, but with a vape that can scorch the herb with just a second too long of a button press it ups the stakes.

I have personally only ever hit the LB so far as to scorch part of it, however when I use it in a group of people, 50% of the time there will be someone to put down a nice layer of char over the whole top of the pack, and if they're not a vape user I really can't blame them (although it does irk me to some extent). That's not to say that I don't have at least 3 or 4 friends that can hit the LB no problem and enjoy its capacity for pure vapor delivery.

However, as a personal unit (that is, when I'm not entertaining guests), it remains the most versatile and satisfying unit I've ever used. I'm a self proclaimed flavor chaser, and this vape gives me exactly what I want. Sometimes I hit the unit in front of my friends and they get weirded out when I don't blow out a big "cloud", but instead a nice stream of blue-toned oil vapor that leaves the most desirable taste in my mouth. That is the beauty of lil' bud. One-handed operation and user tweakability to a large degree.

Sometimes I want a big cloud, I'll hold the button for 4 seconds and jump right into a medium speed pull, what a feeling of that hot vapor developing fast... Or maybe I want flavor and I want to end up with a cloud, no problem, I'll preheat by pressing for a second and start adding that negative pressure Mike talks about (essentially keeping your mouth on the mouthpiece and NOT blowing), and when I feel the heat really coming, let go for a second, then add a little more heat, then feather out, then add more heat; you end up with a cloud that you barely felt enter your lungs. AGAIN, don't get me wrong you can seriously cough with this device, I've seen people practically beg for water after taking a rip of the LB. And don't even get me started on using the LB with a water pipe. Big, big, milky rips. You can really evenly brown a pack with one rip in a water pipe, often taking many by surprise (that said, novice vape bongers will char packs with the water pipe method by the sheer fact that you literally cannot feel the vapor coming into your lungs until you exhale LOL). (It seems as though most problems come from early learners.)

I'm super OCD and the only thing that bothers me about the vape is that there is a tiny bit of space where small particles can get through. This gap exists between the inner walls of the vape where the heater screen meets the wall where you would put the stem. I only say this because for future purposes I would like to say I have a vape devoid of illegal particulate matter (if I was going to bring it somewhere where this type of issue would matter).

Otherwise, this vape continues to be the only vaporizer I really want or need. It's utility is invaluable. I've taken it hiking, out to walk the dog, and used it in large groups or while playing video games. The fact that it's not always ON is what makes it special. "OH I JUST DIED, LET ME TAKE A RIP WHILE I RESPAWN"

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Hey y'all just wanted to update some of you on my thoughts about the Lil' Bud. I haven't posted in a while but I've had a lil' bud since batch one and I've been using it at least 3 times weekly since then. It really is such an interesting unit. Every time I vape I feel like I become slightly more in one with it. Now when I say that, I mean it really is an individualized unit. I have various techniques but it's impossible to exactly describe to someone else (who isn't a vape user to begin with) how to feel the vapor forming.

That's the real beauty of this unit (and I suppose on-demand vaping in general); that you really learn how the heat is forming the vapor, and exactly how to build up and control that heat, with your breath. After using many vapes this process becomes easier to adapt to, but with a vape that can scorch the herb with just a second too long of a button press it ups the stakes.

I have personally only ever hit the LB so far as to scorch part of it, however when I use it in a group of people, 50% of the time there will be someone to put down a nice layer of char over the whole top of the pack, and if they're not a vape user I really can't blame them (although it does irk me to some extent). That's not to say that I don't have at least 3 or 4 friends that can hit the LB no problem and enjoy its capacity for pure vapor delivery.

However, as a personal unit (that is, when I'm not entertaining guests), it remains the most versatile and satisfying unit I've ever used. I'm a self proclaimed flavor chaser, and this vape gives me exactly what I want. Sometimes I hit the unit in front of my friends and they get weirded out when I don't blow out a big "cloud", but instead a nice stream of blue-toned oil vapor that leaves the most desirable taste in my mouth. That is the beauty of lil' bud. One-handed operation and user tweakability to a large degree.

Sometimes I want a big cloud, I'll hold the button for 4 seconds and jump right into a medium speed pull, what a feeling of that hot vapor developing fast... Or maybe I want flavor and I want to end up with a cloud, no problem, I'll preheat by pressing for a second and start adding that negative pressure Mike talks about (essentially keeping your mouth on the mouthpiece and NOT blowing), and when I feel the heat really coming, let go for a second, then add a little more heat, then feather out, then add more heat; you end up with a cloud that you barely felt enter your lungs. AGAIN, don't get me wrong you can seriously cough with this device, I've seen people practically beg for water after taking a rip of the LB. And don't even get me started on using the LB with a water pipe. Big, big, milky rips. You can really evenly brown a pack with one rip in a water pipe, often taking many by surprise (that said, novice vape bongers will char packs with the water pipe method by the sheer fact that you literally cannot feel the vapor coming into your lungs until you exhale LOL). (It seems as though most problems come from early learners.)

I'm super OCD and the only thing that bothers me about the vape is that there is a tiny bit of space where small particles can get through. This gap exists between the inner walls of the vape where the heater screen meets the wall where you would put the stem. I only say this because for future purposes I would like to say I have a vape devoid of illegal particulate matter (if I was going to bring it somewhere where this type of issue would matter).

Otherwise, this vape continues to be the only vaporizer I really want or need. It's utility is invaluable. I've taken it hiking, out to walk the dog, and used it in large groups or while playing video games. The fact that it's not always ON is what makes it special. "OH I JUST DIED, LET ME TAKE A RIP WHILE I RESPAWN"

FC never ceases to amaze me. That was a incredibly well written, open, honest, comprehensive review. It always blows my mind when someone can describe LB better than I can.
Thank You!

I understand about the space were the bowl screen meets the wood. That is a very difficult hole to drill (from below), into an existing hole. I found a new forstner bit, which should leave a smoother line, eliminating any tiny space for product to accumulate.

What I'm learning from these reviews is LB will match your vape signature, be it sipper, ripper, water, alone, with friends, on the go, or relaxing at home.

Last edited:

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
So I've been getting darker abv again with a fully charged 4.20+ battery, my cheap charger ramps cells at full capacity , samsungs 30q's are 4.25 . I have another charger on the way.. past few days I had been using cells that i had charged up to 4.10 , perhaps reason for steady even roast , bowl after bowl.

Needless to say , cells at 4.25 really cranks up the unregulated feature , someone needs to be careful not to char with so much ommph. I'd perhaps save a mid-charged cell for friends to try, +/- 3.70 to 4.00 seem to be sweet spot for nice even roast medium/golden brown abv.

I could see VAS kick in if a regulated Vapwood vape comes out one day. the unregulated LB is still very well calibrated / battery efficient to offer consistent performance bowl after bowl with just minor adjustment of technique along the way

What I'm learning from these reviews is LB will match your vape signature, be it sipper, ripper, water, alone, with friends, on the go, or relaxing at home.

Yup, I'd agree. I've sipped , ripped, used at home , outdoors, on the go , it is very versatile !! I do have a combustion smoking friend whom Ill have test the LB , I look forward for his feedback from a combuster's point of view.

i wouldn't mind some type of portable water bubbler that fits LB , a d-020 would be sweet too, my old combustion bong ain't really a vaping bong. some day I'll try it with water.. I'll rig a vape-chute soon (vapor
Lung) :nod:

Last edited:

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
I’ve been combusting for the last month waiting for my lil bud. And I’m ready to go back to vaping me meds.

Dude , had I known you were combusting your meds I'd have traded spots with you. Good news is you will probably be vaping with your Lil' Bud some time this week! :tup:

Edit : just won screens like these for .25cents usd! Ebay/screens Lol might take a month or two to receive though but I Should be fine until.
edit x2 : ordered this 1oz Beeswax bar for .99cents while at it

Last edited:
Top Bottom