Liger banger V2.0

alittledabwilldoya'

Sapphire Powered Dabstronaut.
Can you please explain why...why is Halo in Sapphire better than Liger with SiC/Quarts but Halo in SiC/Quartz is not? I'm a bit confused here.

Thanks

In my experience, which is admittedly not super extensive as I've only dabbed for a year, the dabbing experience is primarily affected by the surface material one is dabing upon.

I don't dab on Ti.
I started on Quartz, and it is okay.
SiC is fantastic (I haven't used other ceramics and it seems that SiC is ideal for dabbing because of it's cost, thermal qualities, durability, and chemical inertness); after using it I wouldn't use Quartz.
Sapphire is even better than SiC.

Sapphire advantages:

One can run at a lower heater temperature and get the same vaporization effects.
I typically run my Quartz Halo @715* & SiC Halo @ 625* both w/o the heat retainer; Sapphire Halo @600 with the heat retainer (I'm sure the retainer soaks up some heat so the effective difference in temperature is actually greater than it appears).
IIRC the sapphire surface sublimates the vapor into smaller particles.
Taste is noticeably more intense when using a sapphire surface.
Sapphire has excellent chemical resistance, even higher than Silicon Carbide for some chemicals, and is more inert than Quartz and Alumina.
The Sapphire Halo has the Wik tec surface which is designed to facilitate the spread of fluids via capillary action.
The Wik surface combined with the sapphire surface itself seems to lead to more complete vaporization of one's dab when compared to using a SiC Halo (purely anecdotal, but I am a daily user, and I haven't vaped anything but concentrate for the past year).

Disadvantages:

Cost: $300 for the Halo alone.
Durability: It's hard, 9.5 on Moh's scale.
But it's brittle; don't drop it.

I think that the overall design of the LigerV2 is superior to the D-Nail Halo design, with a few small exceptions:
I prefer the small, light D-Nail carb-cap, and like the overall air flow through the D-Nail bases; the Liger has a more restricted draw.
This preference is completely subjective and is also dependent on different rig's overall airflow.
I also like the overall lighter weight, greater surface area, and better visibility offered by the D-Nail set-up.

But, the Liger is more efficient overall.
Plus the issues of surface area and ease of viewing will be addressed in V3.
The Liger wins when using like surface materials.
I will definitely be purchasing a V3 with a Sapphire insert and then can do a head to head #SapphireDabOff!!!

TL/DR: It's all about the dabbing surface, and Sapphire is King!

Last edited:

alittledabwilldoya'

Keep the debate going!
Love it!

I assume the v3 will be king for crazy sized dabs

But does anyone know the official size of the dnail dishes?
Interested in imagining how much bigger the 30mm v3 will be

Halo diameter = ~27.5mm
The V3 Liger inserts @30mm + the fact that there is no "donut hole" in the middle definitely gives the surface area advantage to the Liger V3.
It looks like the walls of the V3 insert are thicker than the Halo walls.

The increased surface area of the V3 will definitely be great for huge dabs!
But I also think that it will make medium and small dabs better as well as it will hasten the sublimation process, plus make it more complete.

V2 SiC > DNail SiC
V2 Quartz > DNail Quartz

V3 Sapphire > DNail Sapphire?

Perhaps.
If the pattern holds then yes, V3 Sapphire will be the new cutting edge of dabbing.
Hell, it will be so cutting edge that it will be the bleeding edge!

I'm excited to see the difference an encased coil makes; and I really like looks of that semi-hemispherical carb-cap bottom.

:D

NevadaPradah

Halo diameter = ~27.5mm
The V3 Liger inserts @30mm + the fact that there is no "donut hole" in the middle definitely gives the surface area advantage to the Liger V3.
It looks like the walls of the V3 insert are thicker than the Halo walls.

The increased surface area of the V3 will definitely be great for huge dabs!
But I also think that it will make medium and small dabs better as well as it will hasten the sublimation process, plus make it more complete.

V2 SiC > DNail SiC
V2 Quartz > DNail Quartz

V3 Sapphire > DNail Sapphire?

Perhaps.
If the pattern holds then yes, V3 Sapphire will be the new cutting edge of dabbing.
Hell, it will be so cutting edge that it will be the bleeding edge!

I'm excited to see the difference an encased coil makes; and I really like looks of that semi-hemispherical carb-cap bottom.

:D

Hey thanks for the info! Never could find its size on their website.
Also didn't think about the wall thickness

And can you explain some more about the sapphire's sublimation process?

NevadaPradah,

alittledabwilldoya'

Hey thanks for the info! Never could find its size on their website.
Also didn't think about the wall thickness

And can you explain some more about the sapphire's sublimation process?

I may have been talking out of my ass on that one.
But I'm pretty sure I remember @herbivore21 mentioning something along those lines.
In truth, sublimation being the process through which a solid becomes a vapor w/o ever being a liquid, it is probably not the term I'm looking for here.

Sapphire definitely vaporizes more completely than does SiC (all else being equal).

Here is some interesting stuff regarding different types of boiling from a dabbing perspective (cribbed from D-Nail's site):

There are multiple types of boiling: nucleate boiling, transition boiling, and film boiling. The type of boiling that occurs depends on the difference in temperature between a surfaces temperature and the liquid's boiling point. The common method of checking if a frying pan is hot enough by sprinkling a few drops of water on it is an example of this phenomenon. Seeing how the droplets behave shows what type of boiling is going on, and thus how hot the pan is. Besides temperature, other factors that influence what type of boiling occurs are; air/ambient pressure or — in the case of Wik™ — the texture of the surface.

Nucleate boiling is the typical boiling observed in a pot of water on the stove. Small pockets of liquid change phase into a vapor in the form of bubbles, which rise to the surface. This results in a mixing of the liquid, which helps to transfer heat evenly throughout it. The locations where this phase change is possible are called "nucleation points". Nucleate boiling is the type of boiling with maximum heat energy transfer and the fastest vaporization. Since high energy transfer and fast vaporization preserve more of the flavor of your essential oil, nucleate boiling is the ideal method of vaporization for our purposes.

If the surface is hot enough (past the critical heat flux), it enters transition boiling. This is when you see violent spitting and spattering as droplets boil away explosively. In this state, increasing the heater temperature actually decreases the rate of heat transfer due to vapor partially insulating against the hot surface, which is a bad thing for our purposes. Eventually, at a temperature called the Leidenfrost point of the material, we move into the final type of boiling.

Film boiling occurs if the surface temperature is past the Leidenfrost point which is dependent on material/surface combinations. Instead of forming bubbles, a thin cushion of vapor forms between the liquid and surface. To again use the frying pan example — on a pan ready for pancakes, this air cushion is why the water droplets dance around the inside of the pan. This vapor cushion acts as an insulator, so even though the pan is hotter it will take longer to vaporize the liquid. Heat transfer and speed of vaporization are lower than nucleate boiling, so for our purposes it is to be avoided.

The Wik™ surface is designed to keep your essential oil vaporizing via nucleate boiling. It has a very large number of nucleation points — enough to change the curve for your material. At high temperatures, the vapor cushion for film boiling cannot be formed, as the nucleation points channel the bubbles to release instead of forming a dome or cushion. At lower temperatures, the plentiful nucleation points allow nucleate boiling to continue when it would normally cross over into transition boiling. The rate of energy transfer is kept at or near maximum, resulting in a faster, more consistent vaporization with thicker vapor and no need to ever season your dish.

Below is a pair of charts to visually illustrate what is described above.
wik-label-graph.png

Last edited:

herbivore21

But I pretty sure I remember @herbivore21 mentioning something along those lines.
In truth sublimation being the process through which a solid becomes a vapor w/o ever being a liquid is probably not the term I'm looking for here.

Sapphire definitely vaporizes more completely than does SiC (all else being equal).

Here is some interesting stuff regarding different types of boiling from a dabbing perspective (cribbed from D-Nail's site):

There are multiple types of boiling: nucleate boiling, transition boiling, and film boiling. The type of boiling that occurs depends on the difference in temperature between a surfaces temperature and the liquid's boiling point. The common method of checking if a frying pan is hot enough by sprinkling a few drops of water on it is an example of this phenomenon. Seeing how the droplets behave shows what type of boiling is going on, and thus how hot the pan is. Besides temperature, other factors that influence what type of boiling occurs are; air/ambient pressure or — in the case of Wik™ — the texture of the surface.

Nucleate boiling is the typical boiling observed in a pot of water on the stove. Small pockets of liquid change phase into a vapor in the form of bubbles, which rise to the surface. This results in a mixing of the liquid, which helps to transfer heat evenly throughout it. The locations where this phase change is possible are called "nucleation points". Nucleate boiling is the type of boiling with maximum heat energy transfer and the fastest vaporization. Since high energy transfer and fast vaporization preserve more of the flavor of your essential oil, nucleate boiling is the ideal method of vaporization for our purposes.

If the surface is hot enough (past the critical heat flux), it enters transition boiling. This is when you see violent spitting and spattering as droplets boil away explosively. In this state, increasing the heater temperature actually decreases the rate of heat transfer due to vapor partially insulating against the hot surface, which is a bad thing for our purposes. Eventually, at a temperature called the Leidenfrost point of the material, we move into the final type of boiling.

Film boiling occurs if the surface temperature is past the Leidenfrost point which is dependent on material/surface combinations. Instead of forming bubbles, a thin cushion of vapor forms between the liquid and surface. To again use the frying pan example — on a pan ready for pancakes, this air cushion is why the water droplets dance around the inside of the pan. This vapor cushion acts as an insulator, so even though the pan is hotter it will take longer to vaporize the liquid. Heat transfer and speed of vaporization are lower than nucleate boiling, so for our purposes it is to be avoided.

The Wik™ surface is designed to keep your essential oil vaporizing via nucleate boiling. It has a very large number of nucleation points — enough to change the curve for your material. At high temperatures, the vapor cushion for film boiling cannot be formed, as the nucleation points channel the bubbles to release instead of forming a dome or cushion. At lower temperatures, the plentiful nucleation points allow nucleate boiling to continue when it would normally cross over into transition boiling. The rate of energy transfer is kept at or near maximum, resulting in a faster, more consistent vaporization with thicker vapor and no need to ever season your dish.

wik-label-graph.png
Wow, hadn't seen this info you shared here. Glad they put it online though, not much I need to add here. Sublimation is as my man says here just not what we are doing with vapes. Not even the sublimator actually sublimates AFAIK.

Remembering as well that even heat distribution is very important for dabbing, given that we are seeking to get nucleate boiling taking place as quickly and totally as possible for ideal taste. We need nails like sapphire and SiC that distribute heat very evenly around the nail to ensure great tastes every time in the same temp range for the same material. Hotspots in the dabbing surface (points on dish that are hotter than others) are going to lead to other kinds of boiling or even other more volatile reactions still with our vapor.

Over time, I stopped using polished quartz enails due to the taste vs vapor trails/incomplete vaporization dilemma that they bring. Eventually, I ditched all quartz (even wicking/machined/porous quartz nails) because of these and durability concerns with hybrid quartz nails (importantly the lack of benefit in flavor or performance with hybrid quartz nails vs SiC drove this decision).

Many of you know that I only dab the highest quality solventless concentrates. Generally I predominately use full melt bubble. The flavor difference between SiC and Sapphire is huge, and I never dab on SiC unless I am on the torch and have no access to power.

To me, these days it's all about Sapphire or SiC. I know I'm preaching to the choir here and many of you guys know all about how great SiC is from your experience with the Ligers. If I didn't have access to sapphire yet as many do not (it's expensive as fuck, let's be honest!), I'd be dabbing on SiC ;)

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Are the v3 ligers expected to be at the same price point?

OK, these are not set in stone and if the prices are confusing they won't be when released.
But the V3 will be the same price as a V2 with 1 joint adapter.

Here's some comprehensive Retail prices for you.
One of the goals of the 3.0 Ligers was to minimize the threads as much as possible. In-order to accomplish this goal he switched up the design a bit. Rather then the removable joint adapter, like on the v2 gear, he made the 3.0 joint adapters a single piece. In other words: there are 4 separate adapters, 14/18mm Male, 14/18mm Female, 10mm Male & 10mm Female. Each adapter threads directly onto the air intake.
This allows the customers to choose 1 joint adapter & still meet the same price point as the previous 20mm Liger v.2 ($110) or they can snag a full set for $160 (all 4 adapters included). Each adapter will also be able to be purchased individually for only $20 ea.
-Flat Coil Liger 3.0 ($160 w/all 4 joint adapters. $110 w/one adapter)
-Quartz insert for flat coil ($70)
-SiC insert for flat coil ($75)
-Sapphire insert for flat coil ($300)
-20mm Liger 3.0 ($160 w/all 4 joint adapters. $110 w/one adapter)
-Quartz insert for 20mm ($60)
-SiC insert for 20mm ($65)
-16mm Liger 3.0 ($150 w/all 4 joint adapters. $100 w/one adapter)
-Storm Cell cap 3.0 ($40 cap & air flow adjust only) ($50 Traditional set) ($80 Master Set)
-Hurricane cap ($40 cap & air flow adjust only) ($50 Traditional set) ($80 Master Set)
-Zeus 3.0 (Price TBD)

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Thank you for this info, Sir!
The Sapphire really will be only for the 30mm? Would be a shame.
And why will be the prices for the 20mm v be higher than for the 30mm v?
Whats the Hurricane cap?
Are there any pics of this items?
Is there a planned date of release?

Last edited:
Hogni,
Reactions: grokit

NevadaPradah

But I'm pretty sure I remember @herbivore21 mentioning something along those lines.
In truth, sublimation being the process through which a solid becomes a vapor w/o ever being a liquid, it is probably not the term I'm looking for here.

wik-label-graph.png

Shout out to science! :science:

And sapphire! :rockon:

Wow, hadn't seen this info you shared here. Glad they put it online though, not much I need to add here. Sublimation is as my man says here just not what we are doing with vapes. Not even the sublimator actually sublimates AFAIK.

Remembering as well that even heat distribution is very important for dabbing, given that we are seeking to get nucleate boiling taking place as quickly and totally as possible for ideal taste. We need nails like sapphire and SiC that distribute heat very evenly around the nail to ensure great tastes every time in the same temp range for the same material. Hotspots in the dabbing surface (points on dish that are hotter than others) are going to lead to other kinds of boiling or even other more volatile reactions still with our vapor.

Over time, I stopped using polished quartz enails due to the taste vs vapor trails/incomplete vaporization dilemma that they bring. Eventually, I ditched all quartz (even wicking/machined/porous quartz nails) because of these and durability concerns with hybrid quartz nails (importantly the lack of benefit in flavor or performance with hybrid quartz nails vs SiC drove this decision).

Many of you know that I only dab the highest quality solventless concentrates. Generally I predominately use full melt bubble. The flavor difference between SiC and Sapphire is huge, and I never dab on SiC unless I am on the torch and have no access to power.

To me, these days it's all about Sapphire or SiC. I know I'm preaching to the choir here and many of you guys know all about how great SiC is from your experience with the Ligers. If I didn't have access to sapphire yet as many do not (it's expensive as fuck, let's be honest!), I'd be dabbing on SiC ;)

After using the sapphire so much,
If you never had access to it again, do you think your SiC setup would still satisfy your standards (forever)?

OK, these are not set in stone and if the prices are confusing they won't be when released.
But the V3 will be the same price as a V2 with 1 joint adapter.

Here's some comprehensive Retail prices for you.
One of the goals of the 3.0 Ligers was to minimize the threads as much as possible. In-order to accomplish this goal he switched up the design a bit. Rather then the removable joint adapter, like on the v2 gear, he made the 3.0 joint adapters a single piece. In other words: there are 4 separate adapters, 14/18mm Male, 14/18mm Female, 10mm Male & 10mm Female. Each adapter threads directly onto the air intake.
This allows the customers to choose 1 joint adapter & still meet the same price point as the previous 20mm Liger v.2 ($110) or they can snag a full set for $160 (all 4 adapters included). Each adapter will also be able to be purchased individually for only $20 ea.
-Quartz insert for flat coil ($70)
-SiC insert for flat coil ($75)
-Sapphire insert for flat coil ($300)
-16mm Liger 3.0 ($150 w/all 4 joint adapters. $100 w/one adapter)
-Storm Cell cap 3.0 ($40 cap & air flow adjust only) ($50 Traditional set) ($80 Master Set)
-Hurricane cap ($40 cap & air flow adjust only) ($50 Traditional set) ($80 Master Set)
-Zeus 3.0 (Price TBD)

Wow i was not expecting $700 total for the sapphire + sic setups
Not saying its not worth it, but wow, just didn't do the math before now to be honest
Maybe Santa Clause can supply the cash??:brow:

Whats the Hurricane cap?

i think the hurricane cap is the rounded carb cap on the previous page of this thread. There is a picture of it
And no release date, but the website says it should be ready in the next few months

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Whats the Hurricane cap?

Dates depend on the notes from the Beta team (Myself and 5 others I believe). Plus Josh is SO particular on the machining that if everything isn't perfect he sends it back to do again. He is a perfectionist and it shows in the final product. This also means it's hard to give a definite date with these variables. Since it's just a small upgrade to the V2 I don't feel like there is any real urgency rush it out before it's really ready. It's not like the V2 had flaws that were addressed in V3, it's just the next step in the evolution.

If there is demand fr the 16mm and 20mm Sapphire I am pretty sure he will have them made even though his profit margin on sapphire will be very little to nothing due to the high cost of producing quality custom sapphire inserts. Personally I enjoy the 20mm size and would really like to see the sapphire for that bucket but we shall see. The price is high for sure, but this is a completely high end connoisseur
product and most people will be fine with the SiC or quartz and do not need to fork out the $300 for a piece of sapphire to dab on.
The sapphire is for the guy who always buys the BEST most expensive terpy concentrates and full melt at the dispensary because he has to have THE BEST. It's not for the guy who buys the mid or low grade shatter to save a few bucks. I just blew $1400 on concentrates so $300 to taste it a little more wouldn't be a deal breaker for me lol . But honestly those are not for everyone, SiC will do most people just fine IMO. Disclaimer: I haven't used the sapphire yet though, my tune might change!

And the hurricane cap is the one I posted with the rounded bottom for air flow manipulation.

Really loving testing out all of these new flavors in my Liger! Over an oz. of new assorted goodies and a Liger, I'm in heaven.:science: for science of course, I have to keep beta testing... repeatedly!

Hogni

Thx Bonsai!

Lucky boy!

I believe there are much more customers who would prefer the 20mm v and would pay for it (like me - best taste rules!), especially if the insert would be compatible with the actual 20mm v.
But when the other 20mm items are more expansive than the 30mm, how much will a 20mm Sapphire insert be - 350? ;-P
Seems to be more precious than gold ;-)
Why should Sapphire be rare? Isnt it just a question of ordered amount?
Where is demand there is supply, I think!? Is it naive?
Bad tongues would argue shortage for price increase - I dont so! ;-)

alittledabwilldoya'

Thx Bonsai!

Lucky boy!

I believe there are much more customers who would prefer the 20mm v and would pay for it (like me - best taste rules!), especially if the insert would be compatible with the actual 20mm v.
But when the other 20mm items are more expansive than the 30mm, how much will a 20mm Sapphire insert be - 350? ;-P

It's not due to a shortage of sapphire.
I think that the process for lab growing sapphire dishes/halos is time consuming and costly.
D-Nail can only make 30 sapphire halos a month.

Danksta

Thx Bonsai!

Lucky boy!

I'm interested in a 20mm Sapphire myself, but if 30mm is the only option I'll go with that.

Danksta,

KimDracula

It's cool that the quartz and SiC aren't going to be more expensive for the 30mm.

KimDracula,

Hogni

There seems to bo a need for more producers of Sapphire - dont know how this stuff is made.

Hogni,

NevadaPradah

Glad you like it.
As you guys know all of the v3 stuff will have encased coils for even better heat efficiency. Plus the V3 storm cell has a rounded bottom so you can really change the trajectory of the air flow for the 30mm beast. It may not be necessary for the 16 or 20mm I really don't know yet but it looks really cool!

And as far as the flat coil 30mm version of the V3, it will NOT need a custom flat coil. Any flat coil will fit within the following specs: I.D. 9mm+, O.D. up to 27mm (therefore for optimal fit: ID 9mm & OD 26mm). All flat coils will work, most will simply be smaller then OD 26mm.

20160729_130214-1_zpsmmrujxae.jpg

Does this Hurricane carb cap also have all the variable air flow options?

NevadaPradah,

Hogni

Pardon for my little irony. Ok, its real synthetic Sapphire how I've just read. Only 250 tons a year worldwide. And a whole insert made of one solid piece is another thing than a little disk like the Halo insert :doh:
Ask for forgiveness! Where can I preorder to get it until spring next year?

Hogni,

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Does this Hurricane carb cap also have all the variable air flow options?

yes, and the dab tool tips and/or skelly handle options. Not to mention all of your current carb cap parts are interchangeable with it. I switch all of my stuff around so much I don't know what came with what but they are all the same thread pattern.

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Thx Bonsai!

Lucky boy!

Why should Sapphire be rare? Isn't it just a question of ordered amount?

I think you read that backwards. The 30mm are more ($70-$75) than the 20mm ($60-65) by a little. So the pricing makes since and it actually quite cheap for the quality! The quartz and SiC are both polished to perfection. If he makes a 20mm sapphire it will be between $250-$300 as well I would guess.

And I'm not sure if you saw the 30mm dishes but they are much heavier and use more material than a halo. The 30mm quartz and sic versions I received are thick walled and heavy. If CCA can achieve the same $300 price point as D-nail with almost twice the actual sapphire used I would say that's a good deal. As good of a deal as a $300 enail insert can be anyway lol.

30mm-20mm-16mm SiC below with US dime for reference
EE31CB46-512B-41C3-8445-9CDE78266248.jpg

Hogni

Sorry Bro, my mistake. Misreading.

You wrote its the same price for the flat coiled (30mm?) and the 20mm:

Later I already have wrote that there is a difference cause of the different amount of material.
No doubt, that the price is reasonable

:peace:

Last edited:
Hogni,
Top Bottom