1. Interested in a popular vape? Short on time? Be sure to check out the Best Of threads for Plug-Ins and Portables.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Legal Massachusetts

Discussion in 'Cannabis News and Activism' started by psychonaut, Nov 15, 2016.

1. psychonaut

psychonaut Medcreational Member

This is probably the most important newly legal state outside of Washington D.C. IMO. First east coast major state to legalize, the birthplace of the american revolution and locked in the middle of a massive population of people. I am so very proud of you folks out there, represent freedom! Question 4

Take a peep at that tax rate for retail cannabis, 3.75% !

2. BadDog No

BadDog No Well-Known Member

@psychonaut wrote:

Take a peep at that tax rate for retail cannabis, 3.75% !

UHH, no. That's in addition to the 6% (?) sales tax and the legislature is already talking about the probable need to raise it. Still, as of Dec. 15 a lot of "Massholes" will suddenly be legal for the first time in their lives and in a year (probably more knowing how slow Beacon Hill can be)) it will be available in retail markets. Guess I'm still suffering from PTSD though, hard to get excited about it. Why yes I did mean Post Trump. :cry:

darkrom likes this.
  3. psychonaut

psychonaut Medcreational Member

Ahh, well that sucks! MA is still on course to have the lowest tax rate on retail cannabis. Something to smile about =)

Bizkat and MinnBobber like this.
  4. MinnBobber

MinnBobber Well-Known Member

................................................................................................
    It really pisses me off that many states look at med or legal MJ as a giant cash cow, to tax the shit out of it.
    Then they wonder why the black market is still there and we continue to support murderous drug cartels :(

Greedy bastards as it's nature's own super-medicine and why are you taxing people's health supplement????

At least MA is a tax step in the right direction----more reasonable rate.

t-dub, BadDog No and psychonaut like this.
  5. macbill

macbill Gregarious Misanthrope

stark1 and Bizkat like this.
  6. stark1

stark1 2 1/2, haha

As of Dec 15th, does anyone know if non-card holders can buy from from MM Centers in Mass?

Or are they exclusively for MM certified clients?

Would be awesome to buy some edibles. :razz:

7. cannabis.pro

cannabis.pro OpenCannabis Advocate with a shop at 420EDC.com Accessory Maker

Not quite yet. Legal to homegrow. Legal to be gifted cannabis. Still can't be bought or sold until Jan. 1st 2018 IIRC. If the state can't figure out how to setup an adult-use system, existing medical cannabis dispensaries will be open to anyone over 21 in 2018.

BadDog No and stark1 like this.
  8. stark1

stark1 2 1/2, haha

Bummer.

Smoked a bit of kind back in Vt, @ Goddard.

Never a bit of trouble. Lots of smoke.:luv:

cannabis.pro likes this.
  9. mscm888

mscm888 Well-Known Member

I lived not too far from Goddard for a while. Smoked lots of good bud in VT before finding myself vaporizing CA medical bud. To this day the best I've ever had was from a hippie who grew his own in VT. Now that MA is legal its occurred to me maybe time to head back east.

stark1 likes this.
  10. stark1

stark1 2 1/2, haha

Might want to hold off, look who crump got for an anti-kind czar

11. BabyFacedFinster

BabyFacedFinster Capo di tutt'i capi

12. A1

A1 Yeah it's that important

Looks like the state house isn't going to delay the 12/15/16 rec start date. So next Thursday in Massachusetts it will be legal to posses (up to 10oz), consume (in private), and gift (up to 1oz) of cannabis. The people have spoken. So it shall be written, so it shall be done! Spark 'em if you got 'em.:tup::nod::clap:

mitchgo61, stark1, Bizkat and 2 others like this.
  13. stark1

stark1 2 1/2, haha

For the time being, but crump has a lot of spoilers coming on for the next four.....:doh:

In the meantime, T minus zero in five! :peace:

Bizkat likes this.
  14. t-dub

t-dub Vapor Sloth

This is a good sign but watch future referendums. Oregon has no sales tax, however, we have a state tax on weed, every county elected to add a county tax on weed, and every city added a city tax on weed. The ones that didn't elected to not have weed shops in their area. All done through the ballot box.

Be vigilant . . . :leaf:

stark1 and Bizkat like this.
  15. stark1

stark1 2 1/2, haha

Never paid sales tax before. :rolleyes:

16. Farid

Farid Well-Known Member

MA taxes everything hard, so taxing cannabis isn't really a surprise. Not saying it's right, but I think everybody expected it.

darkrom likes this.
  17. stark1

stark1 2 1/2, haha

Apt name in "Taxachusetts". :2c:

But, you wouldn't get me to live anywhere else.:disgust:

(Especially with things toppling in a crump admin.):mental:

Receptor likes this.
  18. Farid

Farid Well-Known Member

You could easily get me to live in VT. Move my dog and my family there and I'd happily move.

Couldn't give up the cape, though. I'd still need to vacation here.

MA is pretty backwards in many regards (specifically the Puritan values that still are evident in our laws) but it's the best location with regards to being close to everything. Close to NYC, close(ish) to DC, close to Maine, VT, and NH for vacation, has the cape, has the islands... what more could you ask for?

stark1 and Receptor like this.
  19. fiveskin

fiveskin New Member

I'm on the islands and nobody really cares anyways. It's nice not having to worry though. The post office is going to reek!

I doubt anyone will care about taxes until the high wears off. sorry.

stark1 likes this.
  20. A1

A1 Yeah it's that important

It's official. Today cannabis is legal in Massachusetts (for adults 21 and older) to posses (up to 1oz on your person and up to10oz at home plus whatever your plants produce), to grow ( up to 6 plants per person or 12 plants per household), to gift (up to 1oz), and to consume (in private).

:clap::nod::rockon::bowdown::leaf:

21. stark1

stark1 2 1/2, haha

What! They won't let you toke in public? But, Ma, I have been doing it since I was 12.

Remnants of the Blue Laws.

I was once sucking up a beer by the canal in Amsterdam, when two friendly police persuaded me not to
    do so.

But, it was ok to sit and suck one up, IFF you order one from the restaurant.

Was a bit stoned too, lucky they didn't haul me off to the station.:ko:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  22. darkrom

darkrom Great Scott!

Had a half gram dab at midnight to ring in legal cannabis here in MA. Never thought I'd see the day.

TeeJay1952, t-dub, Receptor and 3 others like this.
  23. bagelbanger

bagelbanger Well-Known Member

Congratulations MA! Hope to sneak up there in the very near future!!

stark1, Receptor, A1 and 1 other person like this.
  24. slcbdco

slcbdco Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist

It's a beautiful morning Massachussets! Welcome to the future, with love from Colorado!

25. stark1

stark1 2 1/2, haha

Hopefully this coming year, the Extravaganja in April will be a blooming, foggy affair!

In Jeffery Amherst country. In crump's leaning tower?

Bizkat and A1 like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors