Kidney Stones...

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
@#$% kidney/back pain today. Not a good sign, at ALL.

After you've had one (had to be surgically removed), another (same deal) and passed a few... its a familiar and bloody awful lead up. The pain's not so bad, its the anxiety of what's to possibly come.

However, I'm hoping because its starting out lower, means its moved down the ureter, closer to the bladder. That is the most painful @#$%ing spot for a stone to get caught. From the description and what women, who have stones have told me... its same sensation/pain as labor pains. You're trying to pass something larger than the opening thru. Babies get some help and move at least... @#$%ing stones just get stuck then get shifted around in the same spot while the ureter is trying to push it.

First one I ever had, spent one night, curled in a fetal position in 13 straight hours of pain. No let up. Its so intense, its not even something you can get used to, like with most pain. Eventually it fades. Nuh uh... not this @#$%. The morning I woke up with that one, I woke... stood up and immediately fell to my knees and started praying, for God to take me then and there. Didn't know what the Hell it was, all I knew was it hurt worse than anything I could have imagined.

Of course, that's what scares me about my dissection. They say part of the reason, I probably don't remember that night, is because the pain was so intense. I know when it hit, hurt like a son of a bitch. After that, eh... its blank. I remember all my kidney stones.

BigDaddyVapor,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
I'm hoping its just my back spasms. I've been having them the last few days. Though, the kidney stones have caused the spasms before, as a precursor leading up to. Not always though.

When I'm up and walking, it feels like spasms. When I'm trying to sit... it feels like the sourse of the pain, is actually coming from N of where it actually hurts the most. Directly 10" - 12" inches above the spasms, is my left kidney.

BigDaddyVapor,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Is there anything you can do? A test perhaps, to see if it could be kidney stones, before it gets bad?

Vicki,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Here's my experience.

Me: Doc, I've been having some pain. I think its a kidney stone.

Doc: OK, we'll do an ultrasound. (ultrasound confirms stone, so they order cat scan. ditto).

Doc: You do have a stone. Right now, we're going to watch it and see if you can pass it.

Me: Doc, I don't have a history of passing stones that show up in my kidneys, nor that cause pain in that area, if they're going to pass, they just pass. I feel them, but I know the difference in stuck pain and moving pain.

Doc: Well, lets just keep an eye on it.

Me: Can't we do that ultrasonic thing, where you break up the stone, so it just passes on its own?

Doc: Well, let's just keep an eye on it and see what happens.

I swear, that has been every experience. From private practice, HMO's the VA... they insist on letting the stone, make the call here. Even though, my medical history and experience backs me up. They run in my family, I just happened to be the one, that got the short stick out of that gene pool, with regards to the stones.

At least, I avoided the family gall bladder problems.

BigDaddyVapor,
Reactions: Vicki

JSteez4205

aka Gordon NugzB
Damn BDV, so sorry to hear/read this. As someone who has experienced a few kidney stones myself, I feel for you...I have never had mine blasted though and have just dealt with the death like feelings that come with passing a kidney stone. My second one I too was on my knees praying to God to take me because the pain really Was That Intense. After my first one dr said it was due probably to my high intake of soda. I manage a restaurant and always was just drinking drinks from the fountain. I stopped for about a year no stones, then started drinking them again. Damn MtDew always tasted so good to me. Had another stone. Now I will only take a random sip & I mean Super Random. Haven't had a stone in 3.5 years and lost quite a few pounds dropping soda out of my every day routine too. Water & coffee are my 2 biggest beverage intakes, I drink tea & beer randomly but more so often then my random sips of coke out of the fountain... hope you get feeling better soon!! I wasn't vaping at the times of my stones, was still smoking blunts heavily and those definitely made my kidney pains worse, so I can't say if vaping will help with the pain or not...

JSteez4205,

SD_haze

Damn BDV, so sorry to hear/read this. As someone who has experienced a few kidney stones myself, I feel for you...I have never had mine blasted though and have just dealt with the death like feelings that come with passing a kidney stone. My second one I too was on my knees praying to God to take me because the pain really Was That Intense. After my first one dr said it was due probably to my high intake of soda. I manage a restaurant and always was just drinking drinks from the fountain. I stopped for about a year no stones, then started drinking them again. Damn MtDew always tasted so good to me. Had another stone. Now I will only take a random sip & I mean Super Random. Haven't had a stone in 3.5 years and lost quite a few pounds dropping soda out of my every day routine too. Water & coffee are my 2 biggest beverage intakes, I drink tea & beer randomly but more so often then my random sips of coke out of the fountain... hope you get feeling better soon!! I wasn't vaping at the times of my stones, was still smoking blunts heavily and those definitely made my kidney pains worse, so I can't say if vaping will help with the pain or not...
I've heard mentioning of cola causing kidney stones so I read more into it,

From kidneystoners.org (name made me giggle)
"Overall, the risk of forming stones from soda drinking appears to be questionable. If true, this risk applies to only phosphoric acid containing sodas, found mostly in dark colored sodas.
Fruit flavored sodas (such as Sprite) usually use citric acid instead. Some colas don’t contain phosphoric acid. Check the ingredient list if you are not sure."

Then again, it was your doctor who said that. So who knows :ko:

SD_haze,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
SD_haze, your post prompted me to check the ingredient label on my ginger ale. No phosphoric acid. :)

BDV, I hope you are feeling ok!

Vicki,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
OMG they've given me a list of basically everything I love, that I'm not supposed to consume. My stones had to be removed/blasted... because neither would pass. The first one, was shaped like the old Star Trek badges. It got lodged, upside down, right at the opening to the ureter. Anything that can get past the ureter, will pass no problem. The ureter is tiny. My second one, was just a boulder, too big to pass and got stuck again at the opening. I just make big stones. :shrug:

I've actually been bad lately. For a few months. My wife started drinking Pepsi again, when she started working nights. I pretty much stopped drinking any carbonated/corn syrup/sugar/caffeine/coffee drinks 3 years ago, after my dissection. My wife, LOVES those retro Pepsi's made with cane sugar and it takes me back to. Those things ROCK! So... I've been partaking of sodas I shouldnt be. Decided tonight, to break the habit. Will be easy. Just wasn't really paying attention before, just really didn't care.

Still not sure what's going on. I have some symptoms, not others... but that's how they always are. The bad, bad signs are the INSTANT upset stomachs and the pain radiating around that area (you know exactly where your kidneys are, after a stone... always). However, still mostly lower back localized pain. I'd say 50/50 maybe 60/40 in my favor.

BigDaddyVapor,
Reactions: Vicki
Top Bottom