Just bought brand new Volcano... have a few questions about useage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSOT

1 - Is it really true that the more weed you put in the chamber the more bags you can get out of it? I mean, it's the same amount of hot air passing through the weed no matter how much of it there is in the chamber, right? It's not like a bowl where you burn what's on top first then there's more to get at on bottom, is it?

I worry because I want to figure out how much a single balloons worth of weed is, but I feel like no matter how little I pack I'm wasting it if I only fill one bag, since it hasn't had enough chance to get fully vaporized in my mind. Am I wrong?

2 - The only friend I have who owns one of these stressed to me that I should finish however much weed I pack at one time quickly, or it will begin to taste bad and lose potency. Is this true? If so, is it because the weed gets stale in the chamber, or because the vapor gets stale in the bag, or both?

I'm finding it to be a big problem because combined with my suspicions from question # 1 I wind up forcing myself to kill 3 full bags within a half hour and it's too overwhelming for me lol... I really liked to take single hits spread throughout the day back before I had a vaporizer. Is there any way i can do this using the Volcano without negative impacts?

3 - Should I leave the weed chamber on top of the Volcano between bags? My friend does but I find it gets too hot. Is there a difference either way in terms of quality or anything else?

4 - I'm having trouble determining when I should stop filling bags. let's say I put just enough weed in there to cover the screen completely... how many bags worth should that be roughly? I mean I've gone to 4 bags and it still tastes like weed to me... does it ever just become hot air? I suppose this question ties in with #1.

Thank you so much everyone! I know I asked a lot of little question but please try to be as thorough as possible. I believe I thought of everything I wanted to know :)

KSOT,

lwien

KSOT said:
I'm finding it to be a big problem because combined with my suspicions from question # 1 I wind up forcing myself to kill 3 full bags within a half hour and it's too overwhelming for me lol... I really liked to take single hits spread throughout the day back before I had a vaporizer. Is there any way i can do this using the Volcano without negative impacts?
KSOT, I really hope that someone here can give you some good info regarding your 'Cano, but please understand that what I am about to say is not targeted to you but to those that may be in the market for a Volcano and stumbled upon this thread.

This is a classic example of why one should do some research before purchasing a vape, especially one that costs as much as a Volcano does.

The Volcano is a great party vape, but for those that like to take single hits throughout the day, there are better choice that you could make. The Purple Days would have fit this type of user PERFECTLY and would have cost 3 to 4 hundred dollars less.

Now with that being said, I hope that someone here can give you some advice on how to make that Volcano work for you in regards to be able to take single hits throughout the day without vapor loss in letting it stay in the bag for too long.

lwien,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
1 - Is it really true that the more weed you put in the chamber the more bags you can get out of it?
This is the only one I can answer.

Yes you will tend to get extra bags. If you pack more then a single layer on the screen, you can achieve an extra bag (or 2, or 3 depends on the amount) by stirring the material in the chamber between bags (my friend tended to do 2 bags first THEN stir).

The Volcano isn't perfect, it won't vape 100% even unless you only do a single layer on the screen, overpacking it does require some extra attention and time but the rewards are there. So in my opinion the extra bag is coming from the fact that it CANT vape completely through a dense filling chamber, just like every single vape on the market.

Stir it up! Or do a single layer and you don't really need to stir at all for an even vape.

What a lovely vape, wish I had the money for it.

Chubba,

KSOT

lwien, you definitely seem to have a point but I did research enough to tell me that neither the Purple Days, nor anything else would get me the same quality of vapor I get from the Volcano, so I felt I needed to go with the best.

KSOT,

digglover

KSOT said:
lwien, you definitely seem to have a point but I did research enough to tell me that neither the Purple Days, nor anything else would get me the same quality of vapor I get from the Volcano, so I felt I needed to go with the best.
Uh oh...
I feel a storm coming in :rolleyes:...

digglover,

illadelph

vaked fresh daily
not trying to be a dick, but im sure almost ALL the vapes reviewed here give the same if not better vapor quality than the volcano. you basically spent way too much money on a vape and YOU are the one that didnt do enough research. :disgust:

illadelph,

foglights

KSOT said:
I did research enough to tell me that neither the Purple Days, nor anything else would get me the same quality of vapor I get from the Volcano
please explain how you came to this conclusion and your methodology for quantifying vapor quality.

illadelph said:
im sure almost ALL the vapes reviewed here give the same if not better vapor quality than the volcano
please explain.

clearly this is a beginner, asking for help with his cano. he already bought the thing so does it really help right off the bat to say 'you made a big mistake, you should have bought vape X'?

if you can't help him then just stay out of the thread. no need to attack the guy :2c:

foglights,

max

Out to lunch
I did research enough to tell me that neither the Purple Days, nor anything else would get me the same quality of vapor I get from the Volcano
You can cook a meal over a campfire that's just as good as one cooked in your kitchen, it's just easier in the kitchen. Vapor quality is just a matter of applying the correct temp range and then delivering the vapor.

A lot of people think the Volcano is somehow the 'best' vaporizer. That myth is partly left over from the days when the 'cano had no competition other than a few lightweight wooden box vapes and some crappy dome vapes, and partly due to insufficient knowledge of the vapor process and the other quality vapes on the market.

I wind up forcing myself to kill 3 full bags within a half hour and it's too overwhelming for me lol
You can use a small amount of herb in any vape. Vapes with large bowls and airways just aren't as easy or satisfying with a small amount. With the 'cano, a small load (where you're sure to get it all vaped in a single bag) will give you little to no visible vapor in the bag, and you'll feel like you're sucking a bag of air, but you'll feel the effect.

max,

lwien

foglights said:
clearly this is a beginner, asking for help with his cano. he already bought the thing so does it really help right off the bat to say 'you made a big mistake, you should have bought vape X'?

if you can't help him then just stay out of the thread. no need to attack the guy :2c:
Fog, like I said in the beginning of my post, my comments were not directed at him but to others that may read this thread who are looking to purchase their first vape. I know that before I purchased my first one, I was reading thru here like crazy and I know that there are those that just lurk and never ask a question. So to those, I wanted to claify that if they wanted a vape to give them single hits throughout the day, that there are better options than the Volcano.

What's interesting then, is the OP came back and said that he did some research and purchased the best, the 'Cano, and the reason that he made that statement was because that myth keeps getting perpetuated, and for the good of prospective purchasers, it needs to be challenged.

I don't think that anyone here is attacking the guy, but they ARE challenging the assumption that the 'Cano is the best vape on the market.

lwien,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
KSOT...congrats on getting a vaporizer! The 'cano is a top notch machine that should serve you well once you get the hang of it. You just need to play with it for a little bit to see how you like to use it. Give yourself a month to learn it. My first vapor hit ever was a 'cano and I knew I was hooked! If I could afford it I would have gotten one. I got an Extreme which blows bags, and I can load it with less and get fewer bags. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of 'cano users here to help you...I suggest you send VolcanoSouth (a member here) an email...he has one and knows it really well.

stickstones,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
KSOT said:
1 - Is it really true that the more weed you put in the chamber the more bags you can get out of it? I mean, it's the same amount of hot air passing through the weed no matter how much of it there is in the chamber, right? It's not like a bowl where you burn what's on top first then there's more to get at on bottom, is it?

I worry because I want to figure out how much a single balloons worth of weed is, but I feel like no matter how little I pack I'm wasting it if I only fill one bag, since it hasn't had enough chance to get fully vaporized in my mind. Am I wrong?

2 - The only friend I have who owns one of these stressed to me that I should finish however much weed I pack at one time quickly, or it will begin to taste bad and lose potency. Is this true? If so, is it because the weed gets stale in the chamber, or because the vapor gets stale in the bag, or both?

3 - Should I leave the weed chamber on top of the Volcano between bags? My friend does but I find it gets too hot. Is there a difference either way in terms of quality or anything else?

4 - I'm having trouble determining when I should stop filling bags. let's say I put just enough weed in there to cover the screen completely... how many bags worth should that be roughly? I mean I've gone to 4 bags and it still tastes like weed to me... does it ever just become hot air? I suppose this question ties in with #1.

Thank you so much everyone! I know I asked a lot of little question but please try to be as thorough as possible. I believe I thought of everything I wanted to know :)
1. The ammount of bags you get is judged by the ammount of vapor in the bag, the ammount of vapor in the bag is judged by the ammount of weed in the bowl, the quality, the dryness, keif, etc. The volcano boils off thc into its vapor form, the more thc it needs to boil ( weed, keif, BHO ) the longer ( more bags ) it takes for it all to boil away.

2. Vapor in a bag will condense to the inside of the bag over time, you should try and finish a bag in under 10 minutes, normally i try to as fast as possible. You can fill a bag and then wait for awhile to use that bowl again, nothing happens to the weed while it sits their IME. I have used very small ammounts in my volcano, i just put a really small bag on it and put a little bit in and it worked pretty well.

3. I would take off the chamber, the only reason i ever leave it on is if i am going for some super thick bags or trying to revape stuff when times are really bad.

4. Use dry material ground pretty fine, i start at 6.5-7 and then fill as many bags while stirring the bowl inbetween and raising the temp until i stop getting a decent ammount of vapor in the bag, or it tastes bad, or im just done. I normally dont go above 8 because i keep my stuff to revape at maximum temp.

All of this being said, my volcano is up on ebay. I prefer using my PD by far and am selling the volcano to buy a VRIPTech heat wand. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Survivalism,

KSOT

Oh ok good. I can handle one bag at a time, just not 3-4 lol. You get 7 bags out of yours? Do you fill the chamber to the top?

And you prefer a PD eh? Is it cause you like 1 hitting too?

KSOT,

illadelph

vaked fresh daily
foglights said:
KSOT said:
please explain how you came to this conclusion and your methodology for quantifying vapor quality.

illadelph said:
im sure almost ALL the vapes reviewed here give the same if not better vapor quality than the volcano
please explain.

i love how you turned what i said into something with a much more negative connotation. im just trying to tell him that its obvious that not that much research was done if he feels that he needed to spend $500+ to achieve some sort of "premium" vapor quality. i simply stated that most vapes on this site can achieve the same results......

but i guess if i made an attack, ill stay out of the thread.:shrug:

illadelph,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
KSOT said:
Oh ok good. I can handle one bag at a time, just not 3-4 lol. You get 7 bags out of yours? Do you fill the chamber to the top?

And you prefer a PD eh? Is it cause you like 1 hitting too?
Sorry i mean 6.5-7 as the tempature on the dial i start vaping at. Normally you get 3-4 bags a bowl.

I prefer the PD because in certain aspects it does indeed provide a better vapor experience, it has a more full taste, a higher vapor to air ratio, is MUCH more efficient. It doesnt make any sound at all, their are no bags, i dont have to worry about the filling chamber insert.. its easier.

I can go on and on dude, i liked my volcano but the vapor quality is NOT better then other vaporizers on the market. You pay for the volcano name, not superior vapor.

Survivalism,

KSOT

Well I guess I feel like a sucker for buying it then. I kept coming across people on forums saying nothing compares to Volcanoes. I even remember a quote from someone about how the Cano gets 95% of the THC out and the next best one only gets 80%, That's all BS?

KSOT,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
Well I guess I feel like a sucker for buying it then.
You shouldn't , it's a good vape , just very expensive.

I kept coming across people on forums saying nothing compares to Volcanoes. I even remember a quote from someone about how the Cano gets 95% of the THC out and the next best one only gets 80%, That's all BS?
What's the saying again? 73% of all statistics are made up? We've discussed this before , you can check this out thread

Skunkypete,

lwien

KSOT said:
Well I guess I feel like a sucker for buying it then. I kept coming across people on forums saying nothing compares to Volcanoes. I even remember a quote from someone about how the Cano gets 95% of the THC out and the next best one only gets 80%, That's all BS?
The getting 95% out of THC thing is BS. "The Volcano is the best vape on the market" is BS. But what's not BS is that the 'Cano is a great vape.

The prospective purchaser just needs to nail down HOW they plan on using a vape, any vape, before making the purchase.

You stating that "I kept coming across people on forums saying nothing compares to Volcanoes." is the sole reason that I posted what I did in this thread.

You're not a sucker, KSOT. Sure, you may have been able to make a better choice, buy hey, this is how we learn, eh? Anytime anyone says that anything is the BEST, a red caution flag should go up that should cause you to search for counter opinions so you could make a qualified decision. No doubt that this experience will cause you to do a bit more of that in the future, which is a good thing.

lwien,

NoSmoke

I have 5 vapes for the price of a Cano!!! :lol: Cano is very far from being the best IMHO

NoSmoke,

max

Out to lunch
I agree that you're not a sucker for buying the 'cano. You can't go wrong with it unless you decide that bag use is just not to your liking. It's very reliable and should give you many years of service. Resale value is also tops should you ever decide to sell it. The problem with it, as far as comparing it to the competition, is that the herbalAire and and Extreme also do direct draw. So it's a lot of $ for a vape that only fills bags.

I kept coming across people on forums saying nothing compares to Volcanoes. I even remember a quote from someone about how the Cano gets 95% of the THC out and the next best one only gets 80%, That's all BS?
A lot of people who shell out the $500+ for a 'cano feel like they have to sell the idea of "nothing compares" to everyone else, in order to justify their purchase in their own minds. Some of it is also just buyers perpetuating the 'Volcano is the best' myth that led them to the purchase-they really believe it.

As for the 95% vs. 80%, it may not be intentional BS. Internet info gets distorted, blown up, twisted, etc. But bottom line-it is BS. In fact, many people have proven to themselves that the herbalAire is more efficient, due to the smaller bowl and 18 tiny inlet holes into the heating chamber.

If I were you, and really liked the 'cano, I'd keep it and just add a low dose direct draw unit like the PD. The way you describe your smoke use-small hits throughout the day, that model seems like a good fit for you. You can also save your PD remains and use that in the 'cano at a higher temp setting if you like. I do that with my SSV when I want some higher temp vapor or just run out of fresh herb.

max,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
lwien said:
Fog, like I said in the beginning of my post, my comments were not directed at him but to others that may read this thread who are looking to purchase their first vape.
I agree... I found FC looking for more info on the new digital volcano as I was convinced it was the best vape for me. Then through lurking here for 6 months I bought an Extreme and recently a PD and could not be happier with both purchases all because of information posted here on various vape choices.

DeepFried,

Beezleb

The "best" vaporizer is whatever vaporizer fits your "individual" needs and wants.

Due to the general high quality of mainstream vaporizers on the market the concept of "best" is not as cut and dry as it used to be and is more complex. Vaporizers today have a diversity like never before ranging from bag vapes, whip vapes, portable vapes and multi-use vapes to lighter based vapes and vapes that work on different principals such as conduction and convection heat.

In my view, anyone who speaks about "best" in vaporizers are really saying "best for me" even if they do not know the difference or perhaps they are fanboys of a particular model and are just enthusiastic, it is up to the reader to figure out the difference from an educated opinion versus a limited enthusiastic one.

It is all good, no matter who gives who advice or input on vaporizing the reader has the responsibility to take what every writer here has to say with a grain of salt and find supporting writings and information that backs the opinions of the vape they are looking for.

I recommend the following when looking at a vaporizer, especially if you are new to vaping research vapes that:
fit your style, wants and needs,
Make a list of those vapes that fit your category,
research those vapes in more detail (looking at the applicable thread such as the PD, Extreme discussions etc)
make an informed purchase.

Happy vaping!

Beezleb,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
KSOT said:
i agree with everyone else, you are not a sucker dude, the volcano is a great vape, its just expensive. If i had the money i would keep my volcano because i like it and i like to collect vaporizers but i would rather have a VHW because i personally think i would prefer the VHW over the "bag" aspect of vaping.

I personally have 3 ( ssv is my friends but use it pretty much daily ) the volcano is my "home" unit, i use it to revape my pd avb or at parties or with vapor noobs. I then have my PD, my daily driver, read the pd thread for info, their is tons of it. And my Iolite for my portable needs, thread on the Iolite is here on fc as well.

Most of us buy multiple vaporizers, check out all the threads here on FC about other vaporizers, their are a ton of amazing vapes discussed here daily.

Survivalism,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
The getting 95% out of THC thing is BS. "The Volcano is the best vape on the market" is BS. But what's not BS is that the 'Cano is a great vape.
Damn straight.

The Volcano is a great product, but it's not a magical device or something supernatural.

You're passing hot air over cannabis, simple as that. The amount of control I have in my SSV is second to none. I can adjust the temp on the dial, I can adjust the temp via my draw. I can rotate the whip around like a madman every hit to get an even vape, I can (and do) stir it virtually every single hit.

The "Volcano is the only vaporizer" needs to die. It's got a heating element and a fan, there's nothing special about it. It is not the "pinnacle" that everyone wants to move towards, I have zero interest in using a fan for personal use, I want my lungs to do the work... they never let me down.

The Volcano is easy, very consistent and produces large amounts of vapor in a system that is easy to inhale from, even for new users.

When I have a spare $530, I'll get one, simply because it's a badass party vape and the best bag blower on the market.

Chubba,

max

Out to lunch
Survivalism said:
Your not a sucker like everyone else has said dude
Only one poster used the term 'sucker', or even inferred that he was, so you're statement is way off base. Overall, I think the situation has been resolved in a friendly manner, so let's get back to info.

Chubba said:
When I have a spare $530, I'll get one
If I didn't have the herbalAire, I'd be interested myself, but I'd shop for a used one on eBay or maybe here- http://cheapvolcanovaporizer.com/

max,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
max said:
Survivalism said:
Your not a sucker like everyone else has said dude
Only one poster used the term 'sucker', or even inferred that he was, so you're statement is way off base. Overall, I think the situation has been resolved in a friendly manner, so let's get back to info.

Chubba said:
When I have a spare $530, I'll get one
If I didn't have the herbalAire, I'd be interested myself, but I'd shop for a used one on eBay or maybe here- http://cheapvolcanovaporizer.com/
i phrased what i said wrong, i meant to say "i agree with everyone else, you are not a sucker"

Survivalism,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom