July 1 2016 WA State Changes

Maitri

Deadhead, Low-Temp Dabber, Mahayana Buddhist
I am curious how next week's changes might impact my fellow WA residents, how you might benefit from (or be harmed by) them, and how you might adapt.

For me, it looks like my favorite dispensary (and pretty much the ONLY one I go to) will be closing. While I am looking forward to more medical options, I am pretty disappointed my favorite source will be forced to close in five days... :(

Edit: This is the first thread I created. Mods: Please DO let me know if/what I did not get quite right - and definitely feel free to my this thread to another more appropriate forum. Thanks! :)

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I have been going to an all organic cannabis medical farmers market on some Saturday's. I've been able to choose between maybe 50 + strains and edibles that are reasonably priced. Today was the last day. It was kinda sad. I've stocked up and will visit 2 of my favorite dispensaries next week before the closure to stock up more.

I've been pricing the edibles at the state stores and they are way overpriced. I stocked up on the Nastly Jacks. They are malted milk balls that have 10 mg THC, per ball. I need way more than 10. Someone new to cannabis might need that much. I need about 120mg.

I don't see the variety either at the WA state cannabis stores when I've checked online. I realize it's not going to be like the market. I like to have maybe 30 strains to choose from. The organic cannabis will not be affordable. If I can even find it. If grams can stay at $10 that would be great. I'm feeling really apprehensive.

After having been spoiled I probably sound really picky to those in non medical states. I'm hoping good variety and supplies for everyone when cannabis is legal. I remember the blackmarket days.

The cops are prepared to confiscate products and arrest people is what I'm hearing. I don't know if folks will go quietly. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Edit
I priced the Nastly Jacks at the state cannabis store and its $30 instead of the $15 I've been paying. That's only 100 mg THC per bag. Most folks that use cannabis regularly would need the whole bag or more.

I can afford a little more in prices on the cannabis but double the price for an edible is plain price gouging. I'm assuming that's part of the state tax. The regular person isn't making big bucks operating a cannabis store.

Last edited:

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
The medical shop I have been using for the last 5 years is shut down and out of business. I am now forced into the recreational shop, at about twice the price.

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
I have been going to an all organic cannabis medical farmers market on some Saturday's. I've been able to choose between maybe 50 + strains and edibles that are reasonably priced. Today was the last day. It was kinda sad. I've stocked up and will visit 2 of my favorite dispensaries next week before the closure to stock up more.

I've been pricing the edibles at the state stores and they are way overpriced. I stocked up on the Nastly Jacks. They are malted milk balls that have 10 mg THC, per ball. I need way more than 10. Someone new to cannabis might need that much. I need about 120.

I don't see the variety either at the WA state cannabis stores when I've checked online. I realize it's not going to be like the market. I like to have maybe 30 strains to choose from. The organic cannabis will not be affordable. If I can even find it. If grams can stay at $10 that would be great. I'm feeling really apprehensive.

After having been spoiled I probably sound really picky to those in non medical states. I'm hoping good variety and supplies for everyone when cannabis is legal. I remember the blackmarket days.

The cops are prepared to confiscate products and arrest people is what I'm hearing. I don't know if folks will go quietly. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Edit
I priced the Nastly Jacks at the state cannabis store and its $30 instead of the $15 I've been paying. I can afford a little more in prices on the cannabis but double the price for an edible is plain price gouging. I'm assuming that's part of the state tax. The regular person isn't making big bucks operating a cannabis store.

So what happened to this farmer's market (sounds heavenly)? :(

looney2nz,

CarolKing

A new law takes affect July 1, only authorized state stores can sell cannabis. Also the grows have to be state authorized too. The cannabis medical market has been a wonderful access point for patients but it didn't get a state authorization even though they applied for one. You can get an ounce of shake with bits of bud for $40 -50. That I like to make oil out of. You can buy premium strains for $6 - 10 gram.

The medical dispensaries were told they didn't need to apply for a state lisence because medical cannabis wouldn't be affected. Just the recreational cannabis only needed the state authorization. Then the state legislature changed the cannabis law in our state. Medical dispensaries were left out of the process.

Now many sick and disabled people are forced to buy at a state store or grow their own. They can be part of a four person cooperative with a limited number of plants. Some folks are isolated or living in areas with limited transportation. That's not my case fortunately. I'm not part of a coop I will just see what happens.

There is a dispensary in town that caters to medical patients and veteran patients that have gone off opiates and gives then free joints. He's been paying his taxes and is a really cool guy. He didn't get a cannabis license, he's closing the end of the month. That's one of the 2 places I will visit next week.

I did get my medical certification renewed in May. I wanted to continue to buy the medical cannabis and stock up for the future just in case. My certification was up the 20 th of May. I will eventually get on the medical registry, just not right away.

These folks that have been growing all these years and supplementing their income aren't going to stop. I foresee folks getting arrested for pot all over again here in WA. Black market will be alive and well in the medical cannabis industry. I see prices going up once the medical dispensaries close. Some folks won't be able to afford their medicine. This is something close to my heart.

The folks at the market are older people some in their 50 - 80s. There are a few younger but not that many. You see some in wheel chairs and canes.

Time will tell WTF happens.

Edit
That's what they did, they rolled everything together. The recreational stores had some of their employees go to a 20 hour course so they could be authorized to sell to medical patients. If I'm in the state medical registry I will save 10% on my medical supplies like bud and edibles.

I'm hoping that there will be merchandise only sold to medical patients like higher levels of THC in the edibles or higher THC in the cannabis. If the 10 percent is all I save and there isn't any other benefits I won't have my certification renewed because I don't grow. Some day I may decide to.

Last edited:

looney2nz

A new law takes affect July 1, only authorized state stores can sell cannabis. Also the grows have to be state authorized too. The cannabis medical market has been a wonderful access point for patients but it didn't get a state authorization even though they applied for one. You can get an ounce of shake with bits of bud for $40 -50. That I like to make oil out of. You can buy premium strains for $6 - 10 gram.

The medical dispensaries were told they didn't need to apply for a state lisence because medical cannabis wouldn't be affected. Just the recreational cannabis only needed the state authorization. Then the state legislature changed the cannabis law in our state. Medical dispensaries were left out of the process.

Now many sick and disabled people are forced to buy at a state store or grow their own. They can be part of a four person cooperative with a limited number of plants.

argh... I was hoping things had improved from the last time I'd checked in on WA :(

I got the impression from a friend awhile back that they were just trying to roll the medical stuff into the recreational :( Glad to hear that they at least allow a coop garden (what limits do they have?).

looney2nz,
Reactions: CarolKing

CarolKing

I copied this below. Most existing medical dispensaries weren't given the opportunity to get a license.

052 now dubs collective gardens as cooperative gardens. Each co-op is limited to four patients. Each patient may allocate some or all of their personal plant limit (which is 6 or 15 plants depending on the patient’s medical needs) to the co-op. However, no co-op may cultivate more than 60 plants total.

Large collective gardens have until July 1, 2016 to either reorganize into a co-op with less patients, or obtain a producer license from the WSLCB. The state will grant priority to collectives who demonstrate their experience in the marijuana industry and who have been good proprietors.

Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Lastly, one of the largest criticisms of the law is that medical marijuana dispensaries exclusively serving medical marijuana patients will no longer exist. Instead, medical marijuana dispensaries must become licensed recreational stores and obtain a medical cannabis endorsement indicating that the applicant is knowledgeable in the medical use of cannabis.

Last edited:

Maitri

Wow, that market sounds amazing! I am SO sorry for your (and everyone's) loss! It sounds like something I would have enjoyed, appreciated, and benefitted from veery much. :(

I've been pricing the edibles at the state stores and they are way overpriced. I stocked up on the Nastly Jacks. They are malted milk balls that have 10 mg THC, per ball. I need way more than 10. Someone new to cannabis might need that much. I need about 120mg.

Yeah, the new law tells us that a serving is 10mg and that no product can contain more than 10 servings, which means edibles can no longer be over 100mg. This seems pretty arbitrary, the result of fear and confusion, and certainly not helpful. :(

Yeah, well put. I feel similarly and you have described my experience quite well. Again, :(.

Yes, exactly! I was reflecting on humility and gratitude earlier this morning. We still live in a legal state, for which I am profoundly grateful, and we certainly do not live in a foreign country where the penalties can be terrifyingly severe.

Yeah, everything I have heard from law enforcement so far has been pretty gentle and respectful. I sure hope it plays out that way!!

I can afford a little more in prices on the cannabis but double the price for an edible is plain price gouging. I'm assuming that's part of the state tax. The regular person isn't making big bucks operating a cannabis store.

The medical shop I have been using for the last 5 years is shut down and out of business. I am now forced into the recreational shop, at about twice the price.

Yup. The excise tax is 37% and there is also sales tax, which means we will see about a 50% price increase later this week and for what? WTF other medicine is taxed like that? Again, :(...

Lastly, The News Tribune posted a helpful Q&A yesterday called What’s next for medical marijuana? I hope you find it as helpful as I did.

looney2nz

The excise tax sucks, and I thought medical patients were supposed to be immune from the sales tax?

The seemingly arbitrary limits on dosage for medical patients are ridiculous, I know patients that can knock down a 1000mg Korova Black Brownie. :( But they certainly aren't able to make their own edibles to hit that kind of potency.

Sorry they are screwing actual patients up there :( We're waiting to see how it goes here in CA and what changes will be coming down the pike for patients here.

CarolKing

It was interesting when I went to renew my medical card in May. This is a Naturapath's office where mostly folks renew their medical prescription for cannabis. Not my reg doc. It cost me $90.

There was a new Naturopath there and I was talking to him about the new rules. He argued with me about the tax. I told home it didn't make it worth some folks expense to renew their card if they didn't grow. I said the 10% off the cannabis isn't that much of an incentive. He said no that the medical patient would not have to pay the 37% tax either. I told him that the rules stated that the medical patient only saves 10%. I just stopped and let him have his way after a while.

He didn't have his facts straight so he's telling folks misleading info. I don't know if they will even be in business next year.

Folks are afraid of the unknown.

Last edited:

Maitri

The excise tax sucks, and I thought medical patients were supposed to be immune from the sales tax?

Yeah, me too! :(

It was interesting when I went to renew my medical card in May. This is a Naturapath's office where mostly folks renew their medical prescription for cannabis. Not my reg doc. It cost me $90.

There was a new Naturopath there and I was talking to him about the new rules. He argued with me about the tax. I told home it didn't make it worth some folks expense to renew their card if they didn't grow. I said the 10% off the cannabis isn't that much of an incentive. He said no that the medical patient would not have to pay the 37% tax either. I told him that the rules stated that the medical patient only saves 10%. I just stopped and let him have his way after a while.

He didn't have his facts straight so he's telling folks misleading info. I don't know if they will even be in business next year.

Folks are are afraid of the unknown.

Yeah, it seems pretty clear that medical users will be forced to pay a sin tax for something that is medically beneficial. I so hope he is right and you 'n I are wrong but that seems pretty thoroughly unlikely.

At the end of the day is the unknown ultimately the only thing we humans fear? Think of it this way: We never fear what already happened or even what is happening. We only fear what might happen - otherwise known as the unknown.

But back on point, I drove to my dispensary - 50 minutes away because THAT is how much I love and appreciate that store - and everyone who works there. I stocked up on both flower and concentrates. They have rosin that is both super tasty and potent for only $15g on Sundays. I wonder if I will ever see that kind of quality at that price ever again<sigh...>

I may end up growing my own if the investment and learning curves are not so steep. Otherwise, I am pretty unclear about why I would pay to renew a card that offers so little benefit.

looney2nz

I find this tough to swallow:

Q: What will the products in marijuana stores be tested for come Friday?

A: Microbials, foreign matter, potency and moisture content.

Q: What about pesticides and heavy metals?

A: Some of the products, but not all, will be tested for those. Testing is the decision of the manufacturer and/or seller and not required by the state.

So not only are they going to expose medical patients to toxins, they are going to expose all the other uses as well? Wow they REALLY don't like stoners in WA :(

Has anyone got a screen shot of what their lab reports look like now? VERY curious...

looney2nz,

CarolKing

They are taking my organic cannabis away for what the state stores can provide. And it will be more expensive.

I don't grow because my husband doesn't want me to. Some day I might anyway.

Last edited:

looney2nz

They are taking my organic cannabis away for what the state stores can provide. And it will be more expensive.

I don't grow because my husband doesn't want me to. Some day I might anyway.

Bummer :( Perhaps you can find a coop garden to participate in (with a caregiver proxy?).

looney2nz,

CarolKing

The folks that know how to grow already have more than four people per coop. I gave a guy my name a few weeks ago and he had a list of 30+ people. He said he has cancer patients that depend on him. He said he would go to jail if he has to. He's one of the main farmers I've been buying through for the last year.

I think he's going black market. My only way to be safe is to grow my own. Unless I decide to go black market. I don't want to risk getting put in jail. I already went through years of that, worrying about picking up your product and driving home with the cops following you. I've had dreams about that. Getting picked up. I has never happened to me. I've never been arrested for anything.

The lawmakers that set this system up, doesn't know anything about cannabis. They told people they could grow then no way to get clones that would be legal. I hope they've set something in place? Last time I heard the computer systems wasn't ready for the registry. I hope that's ready?

I signed a petition to give them a few more months to get this show in the road. I don't know if that has passed?

Last edited:

CarolKing

I visited one of my fav dispensaries today. They said that they actually got a recreational indorsement. That made me feel better. I didn't realize that they have a rec store open. They had a sale on their cannabis capsules 60 mg THC for $2 a piece - I bought 30. They can't sell those after June 30th. I have quite a bit of cannabis stored but I bought 10 grams of their flowers. The bud tender was trying to alleviate some of my fears with the new system. They also gave me 3 free joints. I won't smoke them. I will take out the cannabis and vaporize or give them away.

I need to visit the other fav dispensary of mine before July 1. I know they didn't get a lisence. There was an article about him. He is a veteran himself and he offers free cannabis to all vets. They also have a group of vets that get together and support one another. Rainer Xpress is their name. A very awesome place with caring people that work there.

Last edited:

Maitri

Leafly posted a helpful Q&A called Washington’s New Medical Marijuana Law: What You Need to Know.

Oh and @CarolKing, it looks like you 'n I were correct - 'n unfortunately the dr. you mentioned was not... :(

Will I be required to pay taxes?

Yes and no. Patients are exempt from paying state sales tax at eight (8) percent. However, all cannabis sales, both medical and recreational, will be taxed with the full 37 percent excise tax. This includes the sales of marijuana, marijuana concentrates, usable marijuana, and marijuana-infused products, whether the products are medical or recreational.

:(

looney2nz

Leafly posted a helpful Q&A called Washington’s New Medical Marijuana Law: What You Need to Know.

Oh and @CarolKing, it looks like you 'n I were correct - 'n unfortunately the dr. you mentioned was not... :(

Will I be required to pay taxes?

Yes and no. Patients are exempt from paying state sales tax at eight (8) percent. However, all cannabis sales, both medical and recreational, will be taxed with the full 37 percent excise tax. This includes the sales of marijuana, marijuana concentrates, usable marijuana, and marijuana-infused products, whether the products are medical or recreational.

:(

So the state penalizes patients, nice :(

looney2nz,
Reactions: Maitri

CarolKing

The cost of the cannabis is less expensive at the organic cannabis farmers market. Which is no longer in business now. I had gone to one in the town by where I live and another one about 30 miles away. Grams from $5 - 10. An oz I can get for $160. Often I can get lesser quality of cannabis for $100 an oz. I can use that for edibles. At a regular medical dispensary I've been spending $8 - $12 a gram. It's $200 - 220 an oz.

At the rec cannabis state stores it looks like $10 - $15 a gram. Some stores grams start at $12.

The cost of edibles will double at the new stores stores for medical. Ive been paying $10 -15 for a bag of 100 mg THC candy with 10 servings. 10 mg THC is nothing. Now it will cost $25 - $30 for a bag of edibles with 100 mg total THC . The malted milk balls called Nasty Jacks I spend $15 for 100mg THC at the states stores it will be $30. The drastic change in price will be for edibles. Some edibles won't be available anymore.

The medical cannabis state stores it looks like patients will have access to higher mg per serving of THC. The patients remember on the registry saves only 10 %.

I'm hoping in January when the new session of the legislature starts we can get a better bill for medical cannabis.
The higher tax is too much for the patients. Medicine shouldn't be taxed. Edibles need to cost less.

WA state's cannabis tax is higher than CO or OR. Our lawmakers want to have an easy way to make money to balance the state's money problems. Last session lawmakers would not negotiate. All they saw was the $. They didn't care about the patients. I felt like we were let down by our Governor too Jay Enslee. He could have refused to sign the bill.

Last edited:

turk

turk
...wow...just paid $275 for a ounce here in sf....and that's good stuff but midrange in terms of price...many dispensaries charge in mid $300 range for top shelf...everything is more expensive in cal..and especially sf..

Top Bottom