Is vaping as good as we think/hope?

lwien

Two things to help alleviate some of the concerns in regards to vaping:

Vaporize in moderation
Run (or any kind of cardio that gets you breathing hard for at least 30 minutes every other day)

I do both.....

Last edited:

sativasam

NO SMOKING
Two things to help alleviate some of the concerns in regards to vaping:

Vaporize in moderation
Run (or any kind of cardio that gets you breathing hard for at least 30 minutes every other day)

I do both.....
amen to that

sativasam,
Reactions: lwien

Smoker

It's not proper science but just think about how many heavy cig smokers live without any lung issues; I can think of many older family members who are still thriving without any evident damage or lowered quality of life despite decades of smoking cigs. Anecdotes like this help us remember that our bodies are massively complicated systems

I have to disagree with that one zor, just because you cant see the damage or signs of it doesnt mean it isnt there

It seems vaping isnt as clear cut as I first presumed. With hindsight I realize I was rather complacent to have thought so

I think everyone is sure and correct to think that its much better than smoking. But I think it would be unwise for people, like me for example, to think it was hazard free

Smoker,
Reactions: lwien

howie105

I swapped smoking for vaping 100% and immediately noticed lots of benefits that im very happy with. Its well documented that vaping is much better thank smoking, which im not questioning. The thing is, everyones seen the nasty pictures of smokers lungs after the smoke goes in there and I dont know if im correct to presume this, but I was under the impression that with vaping this doesnt happen and basically your lungs will not get stained/clogged

But if you look at any vaporizer after use there is a build up of gunk and logic says that if the vapour is gunking up the vaporizer, then it must also be gunking up our lungs, and if thats the case, then maybe vaporizing isnt as positive as we, or maybe just I, thought

Does anyone else have any thoughts or information on this?

You have to focus on reality and sadly there is very little clinical information available on the subject that I trust. In that informational void people often backfill with what they do know, information on smoking. Apples and oranges comparisons are of limited value in our case and bad comparisons often confuse the situation. So like most things the individual has to educate themselves as best they can and make their own decisions. The results of that I think is reflected in the growth of the vape market.
Just remember something is going to kill us all, so don't sweat it too much and enjoy what vices you do allow.

Smoker

But I enjoy smoking howie! lol

edit: In fact I didnt actually enjoy smoking - I hated it, I was always saying how much I wanted to quit

My personal plan is to continue vaping for a while and then stop vaping as well. And then in the future I will just go back to vaping some herbs as and when I want to, maybe a couple times a month as a treat or something

Thats my plan anyway

Smoker,

zor

I have to disagree with that one zor, just because you cant see the damage or signs of it doesnt mean it isnt there

But that's not what I am arguing, please reread my posts. I've been saying that just because it is percieved as healthier than smoking doesn't give it a free pass. I used the above example to illustrate things aren't black and white, but more complicated.

zor,
Reactions: jim-bob

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
This info is from 2012 from the JointBlog.
Vaporizing is a common technique for consuming marijuana, while at the same time negating many irritating respiratory toxins that exists within the grown marijuana flower and are released when smoked. Conversely, vaporizing allows one to get at all of the psychoactive ingredients available within that specific strain of marijuana , minus the combustion that ordinarily takes place during consumption.

The basic design of the average marijuana vaporizer is to allow marijuana smokers to inhale the many active Cannabinoids, while at the same time avoiding any of the harmful elements that may exist on that specific flower… although invisible to the naked eye.

While most don’t know it … There is a vast difference in the quality of smoke that one receives when they vaporize versus igniting their plant matter. When one smokes a joint, or hits their bong approximately 88% of the combusted smoke gases contain non-cannabinoid elements, most of which do not get you high and provide potential health risks.

Conversely when one uses a marijuana vaporizer the smoke/gases that they are inhaling consists of approximately 95% cannabinoids, otherwise known as the psychoactive ingredients that both calm the mind and soothe the body.

WoodyWeedPecker

Here are some interesting articles which underline the same idea that we need far more testing and studies before drawing any major conclusions regarding the safety and health impact of vaporizing vs smoking weed. Some initial promising results but much, much more work is needed in the future

Decreased respiratory symptoms in cannabis users who vaporize (2007)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1853086/

Cannabis and tobacco smoke are not equally carcinogenic (2005)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1277837/

No smoke, no fire: What the initial literature suggests regarding vapourized cannabis and respiratory risk (2015)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4456813/

I feel my post was misinterpreted. A key study is missing wherein vaporization of marijuana over time is compared to non-users, to compare lung physiology with use over time versus a control. It's not so much comparing vapor to smoke but rather the impact of vapor on your lungs.

There's was also this study analyzing the content of the vapor. Although only high density vapor were analyzed as said in the conclusion.

Cal NORML/MAPS Study Shows Vaporizer Can Drastically Reduce Toxins in Marijuana Smoke
http://www.canorml.org/healthfacts/...-Drastically-Reduce-Toxins-in-Marijuana-Smoke

Last edited:

darbarikanada

one point I haven't seen raised here is the obvious difference between the 'soundtrack' of a group of people vaping vs. one doing bong rips or smoking spliffs; the latter will (often? always?) be coughing a lot - probably a good indicator of 'respiratory distress'. you don't need to be a researcher to observe this (and the massive coughing fit is a standard gag in almost every movie about cannabis, starting with Cheech and Chong. even Bill Cosby did a weed-induced coughing fit routine.).

medical issues + bodies are complex, but there's a widely shared, if anecdotal, consensus that vaping is less harmful than smoking, in the sense of obvious things like coughing fits, coughing up gunk, respiratory ailments etc. long-term studies, like the ones that finally nailed tobacco, aren't going to happen any time soon - there hasn't been enough time for potential issues to appear, like cancer did with smoking, but in the interim I'm really glad for the vaporizers out there - and wish they'd been around a few decades ago!

perhaps some day, a researcher will mine this forum for all the 10+ year vapers, do a study...

another thing that's been mentioned, but bears repeating: the lungs are designed to eject crud (think about what happens after you've been working in a dusty environment). even cigarette smokers, if they stop, can reverse a lot of the damage. the point is that vaping is 'less harmful' than combustion, not 'harmless'. most of the people on FC who've vaped and smoked would probably say they think vaping is much less harmful.

and if you're really worried about vaping? use medibles. there are plenty of people who do, but you won't find them on this forum.

MinnBobber

and if you're really worried about vaping? use medibles. there are plenty of people who do, but you won't find them on this forum.
..................................................................................................
And the health differences between vaping and edibles are not black and white. Vaping by-passes the liver and goes directly to bloodstream and brain.
Edibles go thru the liver where they are changed to the more potent form of THC (11-hydroxy-THC). No one knows if this stresses the liver, is bad for the liver in long term use, if this form of THC is better/worse??

I'd have to guess that medibles are less of a health hazard than vaping but it's not certain.

AND----for both vaping and medibles , the health benefits far far far far far far outweigh the possible health risks.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
the point is that vaping is 'less harmful' than combustion, not 'harmless'.

Vaping may not only be harmless, it may even be benificial....prevention of cancer etc...

Or it may be like asbestos and we all die after 20 years of vaping...

We just don't know for sure yet, but the evidence suggests its better than smoking...

WoodyWeedPecker

Vaping may not only be harmless, it may even be benificial....prevention of cancer etc...

Or it may be like asbestos and we all die after 20 years of vaping...

We just don't know for sure yet, but the evidence suggests its better than smoking...
At a certain point nothing is harmless. The air we breathe, the water we drink, the food we eat (pesticides in vegetables, hormones in animals, chemicals in water, etc).

ander

I was a moderate smoker (10 handcrafted cigs or 5 joints in a day). Now I'm a moderate vaper (0,3-0,5 gr of MJ in a day, and not a strong one). My life is changing, in better, in every fucking aspect: I sleep better, I wake up better, my heart is beating better, I've forgot my stomach acidity, I'm more balanced and social and I can better control my emotions... I FEEL ABSOLUTELY BETTER. This isn't scientifically proven? Who cares... it's real.

Edit-> the difference between smoking and vaping is not the only point. I'm saying that MJ has beneficial super-powers, and if burned, I loose the 80% of them and it even causes harm to myself... no sense.

Last edited:

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Everything is bad and causes cancer!

I used to say this all the time, and it appeared to makes sense. When most of what we consume as 'food' in our western culture causes cancer and ill-health, it is hard to distinguish what does and doesn't cause cancer! Our problem is at a very base level...but I digress for this thread.

I no longer worry about my lungs when vaporizing. If anything, I think more about the damage all the hot air is doing to my throat and bronchial passages (did I use the right word there?). While my breathing is fine, sometimes I go through periods of sore throat that makes me cut back for a bit.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
@Ander I'm with you on all those things...it's amazing to me, how much better life gets when one fucks combustion...

The sleeping and waking easier, and the mood swings I always blamed on the herb...

It was a herb, but not cannabis....evil tobacco...

So in that respect it is definitely benificial to me, not to mention it's psychological stabilisation that it brings me...

ander

the mood swings I always blamed on the herb... It was a herb, but not cannabis....evil tobacco...
Governments know what they do... but I feel like vaping could have the power of a revolution... and it is becoming like a sort of religion for me (combined with cultivation)! When I will be sure to not fall under their "joints attacks"... I will try to convert all my vicious friends. One is already on the way.

Top Bottom