Is time travel possible? Discuss.

djonkoman

Yeah it does. It's just that you don't realize you got there because you've always been there. ;)
no it doesn't. logic gets input from controllable things, physical stuff, and it's output can be aplied again in the physical world.

I enjoy thinking from my other side too, and it's very nice as entertainment, but since it's input is not from the physical world it's output can also not be aplied there.

djonkoman,

crawdad

floatin
my best thinking moments of time occur when im near or at hallucinating. best i can tell during those moments is time (which i believe is a concept our brains have developed into what we call time now) can be transversed but only within our psychological self. as soon as you attempt to bridge the gap of external reality with your psychological self is where you end up on discovery channel with high color fancy animations (no offense meant, i watch all that too...just saying). its indeed fun to think about, expands your own concept of time and many other things, but i feel its a mental exercise with similar basic concepts to brainstorming a solution to an everyday concern such as "did i leave the iron on?".

i also think that space can also be traveled within the psychological self, and i propose that even though its not physical...it is real, at least ive been convinced a few special times. the power of the mind is either stronger than we know, or its very sneaky about its powers...perhaps a good liar. :peace:

crawdad,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
First, obviously if a time machine were possible then it has already been invented.

Second, I apologize for sidetracking the Dr. Who thread. Carry on.

Irie

Chant Down Babylon
Although not recommended....5-MEO will take you to your future......infinity of Death.....and back again. I have never been the same....in a bad way.....

Irie,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I had no idea that Dr Who had such a world wide following. Incredible. Has it always been so, since the early days? I wonder how long before they come up with a US version? :rolleyes:

WatTyler,
Reactions: Vicki

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I had no idea that Dr Who had such a world wide following. Incredible. Has it always been so, since the early days? I wonder how long before they come up with a US version? :rolleyes:

My husband is American, and has loved Doctor Who since the 70's. I was a late bloomer, and didn't start watching it until Christopher Eccelston and Billie Piper. My husband had to tell me who Sarah Jane and K-9 were. At the last Sci-Fi convention we attended in February, I had my picture taken with K-9. It was great! :lol: I seriously hope they NEVER make an American version. They would only fuck it up.

Vicki,

djonkoman

I have a friend who is a big fan of dr. who, while ago I gave it a try, watched a few episodes of the first season, 2 or 3 episodes I think. not bad, but also not so great I'm hooked on it instantly

djonkoman,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I have a friend who is a big fan of dr. who, while ago I gave it a try, watched a few episodes of the first season, 2 or 3 episodes I think. not bad, but also not so great I'm hooked on it instantly

You probably watched episodes with Matt Smith. IMO, worst Doctor ever.

Vicki,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
yeah, probably not the first season- 1960something- I think lots of the old tapes got destroyed forever at the bbc. :(

WatTyler,

djonkoman

was marked as season 1 on tv-links.eu, but now I looked it up it indeed isn't...
what I have found is that it is
Christopher Eccleston

on this pic from wikipedia the one on the bottomleft
275px-Versions_of_the_Doctor.jpg
I often don't get hooked on a serie right away tough. I have no started watching the walking dead and haven't really made up my mind about that yet either but ofcourse there are exceptions, stargate SG1 had me hooked instantly(untill stargate universe when I stopped watching after a few episodes), and aqua teen hunger force was great instantly too.

djonkoman,
Reactions: Vicki

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Is time travel possible?
[sheldon] Yes, forward, at a rate of 1 second per second.[/sheldon]

As far as I can gather, there's no reason a person couldn't travel into the future utilizing time dilation, we'd just need to go really fast (but still theoretically possible fast)

Once we get into traveling into the past, that's where you get paradoxes and alternate universes and all that other lovely brain-melting stuff...

Time is a very, very strange thing...

Psychic

Psychic Medium/Vaporist
And a Doc Brown. :)
I don't mean this to be a shameless plug, I just don't know any other way around it to comment. If moderator feels it is inappropriate, I understand.

I just published a time travel called Hostage in Time. The main character goes back in time while filming an historic house. I love those preservation, the concept of time travel, Back to the Future films, Somewhere in Time and Jack Finney. I don't mean to plug my book but I write time travel and Alan was posting and I thought I'd say hello to all and join in the conversation because I had something to contribute! :)

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
I've reported this thread because this topic was already dealt with next month.

My future self just showed up and told me I'm way too high to understand this thread. He suggested I read another thread. Or vape more and see if that helps.

Longbones

Hahaha, loving this thread, all. Family's been visiting me in Cali so not much time for FC, but here's something interesting I found by Frank Arntzenius...

In 1971 Jimmy Hoffa is pardoned by President Nixon and released from
jail. In 1975 Nixon reminds Hoffa that he owes him $300,000 for the pardon.
Hoffa goes to see a mafia boss by the name of Anthony “Tony Pro”
Provenzano. (As we will see in a minute,“Tony Pro” in fact just is Hoffa’s
older self.) “Tony Pro” gives Hoffa the $300,000 he needs. Hoffa hands the
money over to Nixon, and gets into a time machine (provided to him by
the Republican Party), so that he mysteriously disappears from the public
eye. Hoffa travels back to 1964 and starts calling himself Anthony “Tony
Pro” Provenzano.“Tony Pro,” with the cooperation of Hoffa, manages to
get the Teamsters union under the control of organized crime.“Tony Pro”
agrees to pay Hoffa $300,000 in reward for his help. Later on in 1964 Hoffa
is arrested and convicted of having illegal connections with organized crime.
Eleven years later “Tony Pro” pays off his debt to Hoffa, and “Tony Pro”
lives happily ever after.
This is one reason I dislike Back to the Future; it's a great movie, but it's logically inconsistent-- Doc both dies and not dies in the same universe. No way that's logical. :p

Another excerpt from the same article (this one is more amusing than anything, haha...):

Things are not going well. Last night I called my friend Jur in Holland and
complained about living in this lawless country in which they don’t even
need warrants for wire-tapping. Turns out, my phone was wire-tapped.
Long story short: I am sitting at Newark Airport, waiting for my flight to
Guantanamo Bay. I don’t handle that kind of prospect well. Suicide seems
like a plan. No guns at hand though. Hm, I guess I will just have to build
a time-travel machine when I get out. Then I will be able to travel back to
just about here and now, and kill my younger self, thereby preventing my
rather depressing future (see Figure 1). Not being a philosopher, I don’t
worry much about the coherence of this idea. Rather, I am musing about
who else to take out while I am at it. Suddenly a crazed old man with a
really bad limp appears out of nowhere with a gun pointed at me. Fear takes
over and I start running. The old loon runs after me and tries to shoot me.
However, his limp is a problem and he only manages to hit me in the leg.
My guards wrestle him to the ground and take his gun off him.“You idiot”
the old man yells at me, in a voice that sounds surprisingly familiar. Uh oh;
I am getting that sick feeling at the pit of my stomach. The old man
continues “I am you, you moron! Why did you run? I was trying to erase
40 years of hell!” Damn.
:doh:

dannkk

I read an article once talking about a time machine that had been invented or theorized. Not much like BAck to the Future though. It could only send information, and it could only send it to itself. In other words, you'd never be able to send information further back than the day the machine was made. I'll see if I can find it again.

edit:http://www.advance.uconn.edu/2001/010910/01091012.htm
http://utopianist.com/2011/06/physicist-building-real-life-time-machine/

This is the guy.

With his theory worked out, Mallett was ready to build the machine and joined forces with Dr. Chandra Roychoudhuri, an experimental physicist at UConn who specializes in lasers. By constructing a circulating beam of laser light, Mallett said in an interview at the University of Pennsylvania, he and Roychoudhuri have shown that they can twist space and time into a loop, which should allow his test subjects — subatomic particles — to travel back into the past.
When most people think of time travel, they think of people getting into big, complicated machines and zipping through time. Mallett’s vision for the future is a bit more conservative. He sees us sending information, not people, through time. A practical application, he said, could be some kind of early warning system for natural disasters.

stonedwarman

I got paid to kill people.
Even if it is, I'm not sure how we could produce the massive amount of energy that would theoretically be required.

stonedwarman,

vapirtoo

The only time is NOW!!! Everything else is illusion.

I liked the old Dr. Who with the scarf and candy.

vapirtoo,

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
i once figured out the secret to time travel, but then the shrooms wore off and i forgot :whoa:

ilovebOObs,
Top Bottom