Is the Titanium Space Case Grinder Worth it?

GreenDragon

After a bit of research on the above coatings that Magic9 posted... If SC is being truthful at all, I would guess that SC is using an AlTiN coating... it's just my theory atm. They also may or may not be adding something else into the mix, but I doubt they will give up their recipe.

Mr. Kief, you are right about SpaceCase not telling the recipe. They would not be specific and say which titanium process they use.

I called SpaceCase again today (last time was April 2011) and asked again about their "Titanium coating".
A very patient gentleman named Rory assured me that they are coated in a titanium containing process. He would not divulge which process they use or it's percentage of titanium. He stated that is proprietary information and he couldn't tell me.

Bummer. Inquiring minds want to know.

P.S. - I asked if they still had any of the old "B Stock" purple, rose, gunmetal gray Ti grinders and he said some Head Shop called and bought the entire stock a while back.

GreenDragon,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Mr. Kief, you are right about SpaceCase not telling the recipe. They would not be specific and say which titanium process they use.

I called SpaceCase again today (last time was April 2011) and asked again about their "Titanium coating".
A very patient gentleman named Rory assured me that they are coated in a titanium containing process. He would not divulge which process they use or it's percentage of titanium. He stated that is proprietary information and he couldn't tell me.

Bummer. Inquiring minds want to know.

P.S. - I asked if they still had any of the old "B Stock" purple, rose, gunmetal gray Ti grinders and he said some Head Shop called and bought the entire stock a while back.

Thank you for calling SC and asking them. I can understand their hesitation to provide specifics, it's easy to copy a design (believe me, take 20 pictures with your phone at different angles, and you can create a pretty close 3D model using some fancy software), added touches like processes can be more difficult to copy, especially when the manufacturer provides so little information

Props to the shop that bought all the old stock! I bet that's a gold mine now if they still have them. Just imagine selling new unused "Limited Edition" SC's, lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Delta3DStudios,

GreenDragon

Just imagine selling new unused "Limited Edition" SC's, lol

SpaceCase started selling grinders in 1999. They started selling the "Ti" ones in 2001. While something made starting in 2001 is hardly "vintage", the first runs of any product will appeal to somebody.

NOS - New Old Stock

Unused vintage vacuum tubes, car and motorcycle parts, etc.. This stuff drives collectors and aficionados crazy. They are willing to pay big bucks. Look online at NOS Western Electric 300B vacuum tube prices... YIKES.

weedemon

enthusiast
imo, no it's not. the "Ti" has been known to have issues with it flaking off into your herbs.

I still use my Ti grinder, but i inspect it for signs of wear. the day i personally notice that is the day i will stop using it.

weedemon,
Reactions: bounce5

duckdown

optical
That is kinda like saying, "Screw electricity, I have candles and never once imagined needing something "better", even if it does exist."

Or

"Screw cars, I have a donkey and never once imagined needing something "better", even if it does exist."

Or

"Screw cell phones, I use telegram/morse code/smoke signals and never once imagined needing something "better", even if it does exist."

Sorry, I could not hold my tongue :D
Those who don't embrace change...

This is not even close to what I was saying, what the heck are you talking about?

We are talking about miniscule changes to design or function, at BEST, and even then it's totally subjective

Terrible analogy

duckdown,
Top Bottom