Is it worth it to upgrade from the magic flight launch box?

TheGoldenBowl

Hey all, about half a year ago, I decided it would be awesome to get a vaporizer. I decided I wanted a portable, as I was still in high school at the time and wanted something nice and stealthy. The launch box seemed to be the best option, so I got it, and I was extremely satisfied. It uses much less bud, I get more baked, easier to use, etc, etc. The only real problems with it are the batteries are a hassle and it's a real pain to use with more than two people.

I've been thinking lately, though, whether a home vape would be as big an upgrade from a portable unit such as the launch box as it was from smoking. I've read that people say the home vapes work better, but how much? Will they be more efficient or get you higher? I don't want to order it and discover it essentially works the same. I would Ideally like to try them out for myself, but unfortunately, few of my stoner friends are into vaping, and for those that are, it's because of me.

I've been looking around, and it seems that the units with the best value would either be the da buddha or the purple days (or possibly a similar vape, such as the myrtlezap). I having difficulty deciding between these two, as da buddha seems to provide nicer hits, but the purple days is unbelievably efficient. The only other downside of the purple days for me is that I have to live at home during winter and summer breaks, and I'm not sure I can leave it to charge all the time there.

So, if anyone owns (or has tried) a launch box and can compare it too da buddha, the purple days, or any other vape that they have liked, let me know what you think. I have enough money and would happily drop around 200$ if it's a noticeable upgrade.

Thanks a lot

TheGoldenBowl,

Pappy

shmaporist
I'd encourage you to invest in a home vape. MFLB is a miraculous product but it's like comparing a golf cart to a car. Whether you like whips, bags, or a combination depends on your own personal preference. Read through FC, ID the most popular vapes and read the threads on each. That's how I got started. ;) Good luck!

Pappy,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Pappy said:
MFLB is a miraculous product but it's like comparing a golf cart to a car.

Noooooooooooooooooooo!

It's more like comparing an Aston Martin DBS to a Ford Expedition.

OB topic: This is a highly subjective area. I could live quite happily with just my LB but I do love to settle down on the couch and share my Extreme with my sweetie. I don't think there is a big difference in effects but I know others will have different experiences.

The LB is more of a personal device, and for sharing I prefer a whip. For parties (which I don't do) I'd want a bag-filler. I'd want temperature control because I like to select what effects I'll get. Others are happy with a fixed temp device like the PD (and yes, I know you can vary the temperature somewhat with the PD).

To be honest, in my opinion no vaporizer is a significant upgrade from the LB, but certainly you could find $200 worth of difference depending on what you want.

pakalolo,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Variety is the spice of life.

I love my LB for home use, and away use as well.
But, my LB gives me a different level of stone than say my Supreme would or my Zap would (all at different costs of the product)

Get yourself a nice home vape that you can sit down in front of and relax with. No batteries, no 'quick sesh' mentality, no problem :)

AGBeer,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
IMO, different vapes give a variety of ways to get to the same place. Some give bigger hits than others, some (like the LB) you "sip" your way there. Sort of like the difference between doing shots and drinking slowly. In the end, you've got a buzz, but the way there took a different amount of time. Then, there's the stealth factor. Some vapes are very discreet, like the LB. Others, not so much.

I tend to agree that the LB is a good personal vape and not the best for sharing. The same could be said for the PD style vapes, although it is easier as you can each have a stem. For this, the whip or bag style vapes seem to work best. That said, the whip style (I can't speak for the bag type vapes) seem to blow through the herb in comparison to the LB or log style vapes. One bowl in my Hot Box is equal to several stems in my Zap. The bowlful will give several huge hits and then it's cashed. The LB and Zap will give many smaller hits and use less herb. Both get me blasted, one using more herb and taking less time, the other using less herb and taking more time.

momofthegoons,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
I'm a big fan of all 3. But the launch box definitely only gets used when i'm out and about. For home use I'd grab either of PD or Da Buddha.

Short compare / contrast is Buddha is better for bigger hits / sessions and the PD is still more of a personal vape / efficiency. PD is fixed at a "good" set temp, DBV you can play with the temp (but i still usually set it at the same temp all the time)

Personally, I generally reach for the buddha.

Being at all worried about stealthiness could make a good case for PD, i'd like to think you could just leave your aromatherapy device plugged in at home :)

rabblerouser,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Well, look at it this way. I own a HotBox. I watched the movie "Super-High Me" the other day, and it made me want to buy a Volcano. I researched here and read a LOT. I decided on the Extreme Q. It came yesterday and I am in love with it. Bags, whips, 3 speeds, cool looking, and EFFECTIVE.

This morning (yea, I am bad) I researched portable vapes, figuring it would be great for skiing, beach vacations, etc. I had my Hotbox for a couple of years and liked it. I always went back to my Gear bong, however. Now I am hooked on vaping and vow not to combust. I ordered the Magic Flight Launch Box at 8 AM. I am hoping it will be here for Saturday when I will be in a hotel =)

Different vapes for different situations, but all good!

Tstat,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Tstat said:
Well, look at it this way. I own a HotBox. I watched the movie "Super-High Me" the other day, and it made me want to buy a Volcano. I researched here and read a LOT. I decided on the Extreme Q. It came yesterday and I am in love with it. Bags, whips, 3 speeds, cool looking, and EFFECTIVE.

This morning (yea, I am bad) I researched portable vapes, figuring it would be great for skiing, beach vacations, etc. I had my Hotbox for a couple of years and liked it. I always went back to my Gear bong, however. Now I am hooked on vaping and vow not to combust. I ordered the Magic Flight Launch Box at 8 AM. I am hoping it will be here for Saturday when I will be in a hotel =)

Different vapes for different situations, but all good!

You sound JUST like a buddy of a buddy of mine who I am trying to get BACK into vaping since his Hotbox shit the bed. He has been combustabonging it as of late, and wants a bag vape as his next.

I told him the EQ would be his best/most versatile bet.

AGBeer,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
I agree. You will never get bored with it, that's for sure. I read so many people trying tweak it and make it better, that at first I thought maybe it wasn't that good. It's not that at all, it's just a blast to mess around with! My MFLB should be here in 2-3 days, so I am excited about that as well.

Tstat,

Nosferatu

YES it is worth it. I have a Purple Days, Buddha, and MFLB. Honestly I used t love the LB but after the PD or Buddha you are just spoiled. Using the LB seems like a hassle especially because it no longer gets me where I need to be. If your more of a lightweight get the PD, If you like fat seshes get the Buddha. If you have to hide from it from parents get the PD and you will no longer have to worry about getting rousted if your somewhat smart. :)

Nosferatu,

TheGoldenBowl

Thanks for the responses. The Extreme q also looks like a good one, I'll definitely check it out.

A couple people have said that the PD would be good for hiding. I though it would be harder because I would have to keep it plugged in all the time unless I want to wait 30-45 min for it to heat up each time. Is it hide able because it just looks like a small piece of wood?

Also, one thing I was worried about with DB's big hits is the efficiency. Would it be less efficient than the launch box? Or would it be comparable efficiency, just that you get more vapor in each hit so you get less, but better quality hits with the same nug?

TheGoldenBowl,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
TheGoldenBowl said:
Also, one thing I was worried about with DB's big hits is the efficiency. Would it be less efficient than the launch box? Or would it be comparable efficiency, just that you get more vapor in each hit so you get less, but better quality hits with the same nug?

I don't own and have never used a DB, but this is really a generic question.

Look at it this way. Your bud has a fixed amount of vapour. If you are getting big thick clouds then you are extracting vapour more quickly than if you get thin wispy hits. It will be cashed sooner, i.e. with fewer hits. If you can efficiently use the big cloud, great, otherwise you're exhausting your bud more quickly than you need to.

Many people think you can't get the big cloud out of the LB, but it is just a matter of technique. I can get thick vapour if I want it, but I don't like hot harsh vapour, and I certainly prefer to stretch my material further.

As for hiding the PD, you don't really. It just sits there and doesn't look like a weed accessory, especially if you use the aromatherapy cup. The idea is that it doesn't provoke questions.

pakalolo,

lwien

pakalolo said:
As for hiding the PD, you don't really. It just sits there and doesn't look like a weed accessory, especially if you use the aromatherapy cup. The idea is that it doesn't provoke questions.

Yup. There's been a few reports of people getting busted and the cops confiscated everything, but left the PD right where it was.

lwien,

TheGoldenBowl

I understand that big hits will mean the vapor comes out faster, so it will translate to less hits as well. What I mean is how much of the thc it can get into your lungs. I have read that the PD and similar models are extremely efficient and can really stretch out the life or your bags. I mean to ask, is DB any better than the launch box in terms of this efficiency, or is similar?

TheGoldenBowl,

TheGoldenBowl

So after further reading, I decided I will likely get a log vape. I have noticed that while most people agree the three current logs are very similar, the WDZ and MZ (especially the WDZ) are lagging behind in popularity. I understand the possible problem with brass in the MZ, but the WDZ (aside from minor artistic differences and being a newer company) seems to be essentially the same a PD. Many people are waiting for months to get a PD instead of settling for one of the other two. Is there a good reason for this that I am missing?

TheGoldenBowl,

OO

Technical Skeptical
TheGoldenBowl said:
So after further reading, I decided I will likely get a log vape. I have noticed that while most people agree the three current logs are very similar, the WDZ and MZ (especially the WDZ) are lagging behind in popularity. I understand the possible problem with brass in the MZ, but the WDZ (aside from minor artistic differences and being a newer company) seems to be essentially the same a PD. Many people are waiting for months to get a PD instead of settling for one of the other two. Is there a good reason for this that I am missing?
*queue iwein*

OO,

SmokingElectricity

when girls see my DBV with custom glass, they always say how futuristic it looks. i just tell them i'm from the future...

so yes buy a home vape. :cool:

SmokingElectricity,

momatik

For those who have experience with both DBV and a log style vape, how does the taste compare in both models? This is assuming you're using a sweet spot on the DBV and not slowly moving up the temperature.

Thanks.

momatik,
Top Bottom