iolite VS. Launch box

sgvpunk

Ok guy's im new to the boards, but i have been reading reviews on both of these. In most of the discussions ive read the launch box has been winning. One of the main points ive been seeing in favor of the launch box is price. I have the opportunity to purchase a brand new iolite for 150. Now with this price would you recommend I go with the iolite, or the LB? This will be my first vape. I want one thats portable, Minimal odor, and overall a good product. I would love to read reviews from people that own both. Thanks for the help guys.

modnote: Moved. Question threads belong in Ask FC.

sgvpunk,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Well I have both and I love them both...for different reasons.

The LB is more stealth, less odor while the Io is easier to light, puff, pass. The LB I can't hand to a friend without them combusting, gotta give lessons...more of a learning curve I think.

I honestly wouldn't give either up! LB I love for hiking in woods or stealth mode but in the car or boat I really adore the Iolite.

Either way I'd bet money you won't end up with just one vape... You'll start collecting but not everyone needs 2 portables. If you need serious stealth, the LB wins. If you want easy peasy, the Io is cool. Personal preference I guess.

One thing worthy of note. LB warranty can't be beat, the Io's 2 year is great but lifetime.... Beat that!

Lo,

sgvpunk

Thanks for the help ill def. take that into consideration. Anymore advice would be helpful. Thanks again

sgvpunk,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I can't disagree with Lo, but for some reason I always reach for my LB. The II has been packed away for a while. I think the only reasons to get an II instead are if I definitely wanted to pass it around, as Lo mentioned, or if I hated batteries and loved butane. Otherwise the LB is cheaper, more discreet and absolutely more reliable. In my mind, the real tragedy of the II (because I loved using it) is the failure rate. And for this reason I think you are much more likely to have an enjoyable first vape experience with a LB.

stickstones,

sgvpunk

Great responses guys. Thanks again. Looks like im leaning toward the LB. Which website did you guys buy your LB from? *Best Deal*

sgvpunk,

StickyShisha2

i love my IO, and use it a few times a day, but i wouldn't call it my main vape. That title goes to my dosa curve.

i have no experience with the LB, but have seen some youtubes of it.

StickyShisha2,

wthanna

Launch Box all the way!! The iolite has less warranty, higher failure rate, constant talk on the boards here of melting/breaking "stems". Also the iolite makes noise. The launch box can be used while sitting on the sofa next to your sleeping mother in law :uhoh: :lol: ...and there's the whole FOREVER Warranty on the Launch Box! I have several vapes, and while I prefer to use the PD or Extreme at home, I honestly believe if I had to choose one single vape (which realistically will never happen) it would end up being the launch box. It never leaves my shirt pocket, and if I want a hit any time and anywhere, it is 3 seconds away from beautiful silent vapor making.

wthanna,

sgvpunk

Thank you everyone for all the helpful advice. after reading all the responses I went ahead an ordered my launch box today!!! (with 2 xtra batteries) Now im just waiting for it to arrive. :D Is there anything else i should consider purchasing? is 4 batteries enough for personal use, with the occasional buddy joining in on the session? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

sgvpunk,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Good to hear. I just came back to post that I've seen more folks unhappy with their Io than I have with the LB and WAY less LB's gone through the classifieds. I was going to say that probably would be your best bet. Glad to see that's what you ended up ordering.

I started with 4 batteries. I got another 4 but you probably don't need that many unless you're going camping, etc. It's nice to have extras though so while some are charging you can still leave the house w/ LB & a full box o' batteries.

I think you'll be pleased! Let us know how you like it :D

Lo,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Everything lo, stickstones and others have said is true, in my opinion. I haven't got my LB yet, but am sure I'll enjoy it. I think the LB is a very solid purchase for a portable.

And although the Iolite goes through very little butane (slightly more then 1 tin in a little less than 3 months), rechargeable batteries make operation cost of the LB almost zero.

Tom

tdavie,

sgvpunk

Thanks lo. Wheres the best place to buy good quality batteries/upgrade charger?

sgvpunk,

jackstraw62

Low temp deadhead vaporist
magic flight recommends the energizer 15 min charger for heavy users. I have had mine for 2 wks. Have not had a problem with batteries or charger from blisssville ordered two extra. matter of fact the red light on charger goes off. The instructions say differently I tried a aa panasonic nimh batt and they did not fit right. I use med pot and two hits and I am good to go. my :2c:
:peace:

jackstraw62,

theeleventhhour

Well the LB uses conduction and the Iolite convection [edit: maybe the Iolite is conduction as well?], on a basic level. Also the LB is capable of burning your herb, the Iolite is not. The LB is "portable" but it does apparently require a plug-in charging session for the batteries every couple of days. The Iolite uses butane in a flameless reaction the products of which are water, co2, and heat. So you will need a can of good butane. The LB I guess is mostly silent and I hear that the Iolite makes a noticeable whirring noise as it heats up. The LB should be able to get all the oils out of the plant matter, not wasting anything. The Iolite only gets to 374 degrees and as such will leave a small amount of desired chemicals in the plant. Not much though.

Personally, I think I am about to buy an Iolite for my 5 month long backpacking trip in a month, as I dont know of anything else with quite the same "standalone" capabilities.

theeleventhhour,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
^^^

The Iolite would be an excellent choice for a camping trip. I suggest you order it early so you have time to test it out thoroughly for reliability. I have never had issue with mine, but I read a lot of others do.

stickstones,

Wolface

Check out the Supreme vaporizer also! Kick ass portable IMHO! But of the 2 you ask, Launch box for sure.

Wolface,

Geeza

DO NOT HAVE AN IOLITE!!!!!

I have one 1 week old .IT HAS NEVER WORKED AND THEY WILL DO nothing !!!!!!!!

THEY WILLL GET OUT OF REPAIRING AND REPLACING FAULTY new goods in any way they can NEVER NEVER BUY ONE OF THESE IOLITES they break and you loose 150

mod note: You've made your position clear on iolite in the iolite thread. Any more anti-iolite ranting will get you an infraction for trolling.

Geeza,

StickyShisha2

wow :o i know they repaired my friends iolite, but it took a month. Mine works fine, have used it daily for like 2 years.

as to the topic, I think I like the LB more than the IO now.

StickyShisha2,

wthanna

Launch Box - rarely has a problem, and if it does, has a LIFETIME WARRANTY.
Iolite - reading the iolite thread and from experience, Iolites have problems.. with mouthpieces breaking being the main problem.

Launch Box - near instant vapor (less than 10 seconds) you can hit it quickly (several times) anywhere and have it back in your pocket in the time the iolite takes to warmup
Iolite - requires a minute or so to produce good vapor (translated - "why's he been in the bathroom so long.." etc.)

Launch Box - completely silent
Iolite - hissssss.... (what's that noise coming from the bathroom stall... )

Launch Box - stealth (can be completely hid from view while using, even in smaller hands)
Iolite - not so stealth (why does that guy keep sucking on the antenna of his cell phone/radio?)

Launch Box - temperature control (with practice you can vape at the temp you like, regulated by your draw speed)
Iolite - fixed temperature vape

There are other areas we can compare the two, but at the moment it is my opinion that for a portable, the launchbox has no equal currently on the market. There are other promising units that will eventually come out. One is being developed by Hippie Dickie who is on this forum, but for now, I desire no other portable than the launchbox..

wthanna,

Budz Bunny

wthanna said:
Launch Box - rarely has a problem, and if it does, has a LIFETIME WARRANTY.
Iolite - reading the iolite thread and from experience, Iolites have problems.. with mouthpieces breaking being the main problem.

Launch Box - near instant vapor (less than 10 seconds) you can hit it quickly (several times) anywhere and have it back in your pocket in the time the iolite takes to warmup
Iolite - requires a minute or so to produce good vapor (translated - "why's he been in the bathroom so long.." etc.)

Launch Box - completely silent
Iolite - hissssss.... (what's that noise coming from the bathroom stall... )

Launch Box - stealth (can be completely hid from view while using, even in smaller hands)
Iolite - not so stealth (why does that guy keep sucking on the antenna of his cell phone/radio?)

Launch Box - temperature control (with practice you can vape at the temp you like, regulated by your draw speed)
Iolite - fixed temperature vape

There are other areas we can compare the two, but at the moment it is my opinion that for a portable, the launchbox has no equal currently on the market. There are other promising units that will eventually come out. One is being developed by Hippie Dickie who is on this forum, but for now, I desire no other portable than the launchbox..
Excellent comparison!

Budz Bunny,

iamshaun

Stumbled across this forum & thread from a quick Google search.. Great information here. Just ordered my Magic Flight Launch Box. Thanks everyone!

iamshaun,
Top Bottom