Iolite Leak, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epicurus

Hey guys! I have the first version of the Iolite original, I'm sure you know what that is but if not here is a link. Anyway, after years of use she's sprung a leak and I need help choosing her fate. Iolite said they could fix her for 60 dollars or so plus shipping and handling. I really like her and am leaning towards sending her in but I have a couple questions first.

1) Can I fix the leak myself?
2) Can I still send it in even if the vape was used to vape marijuanas.(I'll obviously clean it)
3) Would it be better to reinvest in a new vape at this point? (Ideally one that costs no more than 150 USD)

Additional information: When she's topped off with butane she runs for about 7 minutes and then she's empty. I still get pretty chopped but I feel that the leaking butane is not really that great for me and it's a pain in the ass to refill. Also, rather than the gas turning on and off with respect to the orange light, it's constantly clearly leaking and making a hiss noise that gets louder when the orange light is on.

I apologize if this is a repost, but as you can see I have some other questions anyway.

Thanks for reading! -Jax

Epicurus,

Pcpvapors

I guess it'd really depend on where the leak is? If its the tank they'll just replace the tank but if it's in the unit you may be able to fix if yourself...

Pcpvapors,

Epicurus

Thanks for the quick respond! And if it was not a tank leak, how would you go about fixing it?

Epicurus,

Pcpvapors

I guess it would depend on location of the unit and what it was touching, really it'd be more hassle to do yourself but it'd save you a good chunk of change.

To answer your shipping question, as long as the butane tank is purged empty, I believe you keep your mouth piece, and you do a few quick ISO swabs you should be fine to ship.

Pcpvapors,

Epicurus

Okay, thanks for the info. I'll give fixing it a shot but if that doesn't work I'll send it in. If the leak was in a spot close to the burner, how would one go about fixing it?

Epicurus,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Welcome to the fun Epic.
I've been inside that unit more than once. For some inside pics and a couple other mods check it out Iolite vaporiser
It's not too hard to take apart but need to be careful. I have heard of the gas hose getting cracked and it is protected by running inside a spring for protection. Have never replaced one myself. If over the 2 year warranty then might want to give a go to at least see where it is leaking.

Pipes

hoptimum

Hey guys! I have the first version of the Iolite original, I'm sure you know what that is but if not here is a link. Anyway, after years of use she's sprung a leak and I need help choosing her fate. Iolite said they could fix her for 60 dollars or so plus shipping and handling. I really like her and am leaning towards sending her in but I have a couple questions first.

1) Can I fix the leak myself?
2) Can I still send it in even if the vape was used to vape marijuanas.(I'll obviously clean it)
3) Would it be better to reinvest in a new vape at this point? (Ideally one that costs no more than 150 USD)

Additional information: When she's topped off with butane she runs for about 7 minutes and then she's empty. I still get pretty chopped but I feel that the leaking butane is not really that great for me and it's a pain in the ass to refill. Also, rather than the gas turning on and off with respect to the orange light, it's constantly clearly leaking and making a hiss noise that gets louder when the orange light is on.

I apologize if this is a repost, but as you can see I have some other questions anyway.

Thanks for reading! -Jax

what's it doing? do you hear a leak, or smell butane? will it fire up at all?

hoptimum,

Epicurus

Welcome to the fun Epic.
I've been inside that unit more than once. For some inside pics and a couple other mods check it out Iolite vaporiser
It's not too hard to take apart but need to be careful. I have heard of the gas hose getting cracked and it is protected by running inside a spring for protection. Have never replaced one myself. If over the 2 year warranty then might want to give a go to at least see where it is leaking.

Pipes

WOO, thanks for the pix. I'm not the first owner of the vape so I have no idea where the warranty info is. If the problem was the hose would you attempt fixing it or would you send it in? What if it was the tank?

Epicurus,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
WOO, thanks for the pix. I'm not the first owner of the vape so I have no idea where the warranty info is. If the problem was the hose would you attempt fixing it or would you send it in? What if it was the tank?
The hose I would likely attempt repair/replace.
The tank, nope, but really doubt if that's the trouble though.

EDIT: The main switch is between the tank and hose so you should already have a good idea which it is. If will not hold gas then the tank is likely cracked. Not worth even opening if that's the case.
OTOH, if holds gas but leaks out like crazy when turned on, then likely the hose. Good smoke/lighter shops might have simular hose.

Pipes

Pipes,

Epicurus

I pulled the hose and checked all my local hardware stores and head shops but none have a replacement, do you know of a website with these types of parts?

Epicurus,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Just guessing but suspect the hose from a dead bbq type lighter would work. Nice and long so can even screw up a couple times....hehe
Or look for old dead lighters, might get lucky.

Pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom