Investing

bcleez

Soooo... did anyone read those books yet? Or have any new ideas on the MKT?

Anyone here also familiar with currencies? I was watching CNBC today and some analysts (not cnbc analysts) agreed that CYB - WisdomTree Dreyfus Chinese Yuan Fd ETF - The etf for Chinese currency is a a good bet to go up due to the Chinese pegging their value against the Dollar - and the idea that in the next year due to pressure from Europe & Asia they are going to revalue the Yuan. Making CYB rise....

Also Activision ATVI - no real pop on COD MW2 doing over $300M in one day...off 3m copies... supposed to sell about 6-7million for the week..

bcleez,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
DeepFried said:
Yes cycles in the market are present everywhere. I notice that a few people have mentioned buying here and I have thoughts about that and actually have a few short positions. Take a look at the two charts here, the 1929 crash and the 2009 crash. If history repeats itself we are in for a much longer run down.

djia.png
Sorry to dig up an old post, but I posted this some time ago and feel the time is NOW, of course take my advice with a grain of salt because I am wrong a lot, LOL but conditions are perfect for a real market tank. If you have money in stocks, mutual funds etc., think about selling all or at least half. If you need to buy, the only safe investment now is gold, not actual gold but get some calls on some in the money gold options.

DeepFried,

bcleez

I have been selling since Jan/Feb & adding to my long term positions on dips. I bought during that 1,000 point dip and got REAL lucky...

I still say horde cash unless you understand this market.

bcleez,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
Check your account to see if your broker reversed those trades as a "market error". I heard it happened to a few people. You can't make money by hording cash and if you are hording US dollars... look out below, LOL

DeepFried,

bcleez

I know... my trades were not reversed... I wish i was smart enough to have buy orders at 60% or more!

I was more in the 15% range...

Who knows man..... why does investing have to be such a curse.

BTW

Vanguard now offers FREE Vanguard ETF trades (FREE!!! The best ETF's to trade for FREE)

+ $7 trades..... Totally worth it.

bcleez,

SmokieMcP

10/29 is my birthday, bro. I see it everywhere. Especially watching Discovery channel about World War II.

I got my 401(k) out and into bonds 3 weeks before the last crash. I was going to get in again last week and then the computer glitch happened the same day. I figure 4-6 weeks before i get back into trying to make money instead of not losing it. I am looking really hard at Annuities and think I may begin buying them at 5k a piece and building through that. What do you think. I am 33. I have 15k to invest, and add about 10K per year right now.

SmokieMcP,

Raf007

Retailer
I didn't even really read this post, but it saddens me a bit.
I can't help but to think that here are some smart ass mj stoner, that despite the uplifting spirit of it still believe in sotck exchange.
And moreover are (or are not ;) )in a big denial of how all this trade market is only helping the super rich people at the end and how it helps the big companies to maintain the poors in poverty and the middle class in ...poverty also.
Because if the salaries are low it's because the shareholders are asking for "there" share of the "work".

Anyway, ImHo whoever has a job and gambles on the stock exchange is biting his own tail playing these games...

More here

http://www.davidkorten.org/

Apologies for who thinks that this post may be inapropriate despite some constitutional amendment of yours :D

Raf007,

SmokieMcP

Raf007
I agree with almost everything you said. But if you want in the game you have to play it by their rules.

SmokieMcP,

bcleez

Annuities, when they pay, each payment will be a taxable event. I have faith in the future growth of the stock market.

RAF, the issue with the stock market is that the average person does not want to do ANY research, they think it is a savings account that will only go up, not bracing for any downside protection. It is foolish to assume that the stock market only goes up. You can easily make money while it goes down.

RAF you also forget that the "workers" are getting paid by the shareholders when a company goes public to raise funds for expansion or funding on research/development. Shareholders can make the options worthwhile... and no worker is forced to work at a publicly traded company. Also nothing prevents a worker from owning his companies stock.....he can make money off his own work 2x

bcleez,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
This thread pointed me toward the Boglehead's guide to investing book.... A great thanks to JeffP and Bcleez too!

The book is great, the boglehead group also great! Thanks!! Highly recommend!

Lo,

Raf007

Retailer
@Smokiemcp: I rather play with the rules. And at least not taking part anymore of ths side of the game.;)

@bcleez : yes, I know you re right ,but still,imHo the markets are one of the major cause of poverty in the world But somehow it's still a way of taking advantage of the system, so I m not judginf of course. I just had to say something about that. Be carefull, the dark side is not so far :D

Raf007,

bcleez

Raf - emotions & morals have no place in the stock market. I make money off shit I hate, oil, fat people, big pharma... you have to join the darkside to win... Globalization is awful... its a shame but at some point you have to just say fuck it, i need to game the system.

bcleez,

Raf007

Retailer
well, i said fuck it, i ll game the system with my emtions, moral and heart...i know the light side is a lot harder :)

Raf007,

bcleez

Just noticed you are in France... OUCH!!! Your money just sitting in the bank lost like 7% in a week...

bcleez,

Raf007

Retailer
lol :D
Don't you think it's a bit the pot calling the weed green.
Coz it's not like the US (provided u r from the US) are in a really good shape and position right now.

Raf007,

bcleez

Raf... WE ARE in a good position... but not really lol... only because the rest of the world is in a bad position... The dollar's rise in value is such a joke...

Plus it is really difficult for the Eurozone to enact policy vs how the U.S. can enact policy.

Maybe food/bullets/guns are the best investment? Gold is a joke. Do people really think they will be bartering in gold in the future? And who will determine the value of the gold? Bill Maher had Nouriel Roubini on and they made a great point that SPAM is a better investment because it's edible. Can't eat gold.

bcleez,

luchiano

bcleez said:
Raf... WE ARE in a good position... but not really lol... only because the rest of the world is in a bad position... The dollar's rise in value is such a joke...

Plus it is really difficult for the Eurozone to enact policy vs how the U.S. can enact policy.

Maybe food/bullets/guns are the best investment? Gold is a joke. Do people really think they will be bartering in gold in the future? And who will determine the value of the gold? Bill Maher had Nouriel Roubini on and they made a great point that SPAM is a better investment because it's edible. Can't eat gold.
That is not true because everything we use to COOK food uses metals.
Don't forget all the electronics that are needed just for our civilization to run that need precious metals.

What should be done is to buy various coins to buy food because carrying bullion would be dangerous and may not be able to be used on a consumer level. Having it to purchase
more coins or big ticket items is good though.

I think people forget
metals will ALWAYS be cherished because of so much work that needs to be done to get them. Plus the fact that you can build a civilization with them.

luchiano,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
bcleez said:
Gold is a joke. Do people really think they will be bartering in gold in the future? And who will determine the value of the gold? Bill Maher had Nouriel Roubini on and they made a great point that SPAM is a better investment because it's edible. Can't eat gold.
dude, I just lost all respect from you as an investor LOL. All of the worlds currencies are based on Gold, always have been and always will. I am not even going to post links as that is investing knowledge 101.

DeepFried,

Raf007

Retailer
bcleez said:
Are you kidding ??
a good position ??

See no offense here but seriously you have been blind folded like crazy.

Just an ex: If China decides to sell all its dollars, it drawns your economy within the day.

bcleez said:

You are right about the difficulty of implementation but for the rest thx Deepfried :)

Raf007,

bcleez

1. Deepfried. Do your research on The Gold Standard and realize many currencies are NOT tied to gold anymore. (Aug 15th 1971 -thanks "nixon shock") WE HAVE A FIAT SYSTEM NOW. So you are dead wrong. Go back to Investing 100 because you just made yourself look like a total fool Mr.Iamconfusedbyreserves.

2. If you read correctly, we are talking about the individual investor, Do you honestly believe that you will be able to use gold nuggets/coins/etc in apocolyptic times? I mean you will go buy groceries with gold? NO. If it ever comes to that people will steal everything by force. That makes a gun a better investment.

3. Raf, It is more complex than that. China needs to buy US debt for their exports and their own economy. Their economy crashes with out the US economy. It is a brutal 2 person dance that is dangerous.

4. I think there is a lot of room for added taxes, VAT, etc... USA has pretty low taxes compared to Europe, so I feel that there is still alot of $ that can be squeezed out of Americans.

5. Look at all of the innovations that American companies have created esp in the tech center... there is a worldwide need for it and Americans have it. (China lacks innovation)

6. America is so entrenched in the global economy that for better or worse we are needed. We will make any country that tries to screw us feel enormous pain. It's not right, but that is how it is.

Deepfried, are you man enough to admit how wrong you are? The Bretton Woods system is dead.
Go find me a currency that is purely tied to gold. My last memory of it was Malaysia (islamic dinar) but that ended in 03 the swiss franc isn't anymore. So Please find me a NON FIAT CURRENCY.

bcleez,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
bcleez said:
I think there is a lot of room for added taxes, VAT, etc... USA has pretty low taxes compared to Europe, so I feel that there is still alot of $ that can be squeezed out of Americans.
not enough for a recovery, lets see right now the debt per US citizen is 42,005.00... that is a lot of extra taxes, but even worse it is 117,934.00 per tax payer

http://usdebtclock.org/

bcleez said:
Deepfried, are you man enough to admit how wrong you are? The Bretton Woods system is dead.
Go find me a currency that is purely tied to gold. My last memory of it was Malaysia (islamic dinar) but that ended in 03 the swiss franc isn't anymore. So Please find me a NON FIAT CURRENCY.
ughh, you are really going to make me research this, okay I'll go back to investing 99 and post my findings to either gloat or hang my head in shame. Just to give you a heads up, check out this months futures magazine, big article on gold and how the US has been trying to get away from it underpinning their currency for decades... unsuccessfully.

DeepFried,

bcleez

Deepfried, No currency is pinned to gold. Every country has a Fiat currency. You are wrong and were a total asshole for no reason other than your wrong assumption. Losing all respect for someone who is totally right.

I am not trying to be a jerk, but you were just totally out of line and wrong.

Obviously you won't collect all of the taxes in one year, and obviously you need to cut government spending. Once again do you really think I am so fucking dumb that I don't understand the trillions of dollars of debt that we carry?

Try to be constructive with a conversation. I am open to argue my viewpoint as I have with RAF, but there is no reason to try to blast someone when you have no clue what you are speaking about.

Sure you can trade gold as a hedge against currency, I just don't believe that it will come to people using gold as the main currency in the USA. I think anarchy would take over before that. That was my point. The guy who has a bag of gold coins is going the be a dead guy with no coins very quickly.

Post a link, I would be more than happy to read the article. Would you look up "Fiat Currency", "Gold Standard" - you can just wikipedia those for a quick outline and maybe you can see what you are misunderstanding.

bcleez,
Top Bottom