• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Investing

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
I told my dad to buy nintendo stock back in like 98 or 99 but nooo he didn't wanna

bluntfaced,

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
DeepFried said:
Happycamper said:
My advice is, dont jump into anything under the influence. Smoking/vaping does not mix with trading imo.
And with internet trading it's too easy to jump in.
I disagree!. If you are using the right stuff in your vape it can help clear your mind and allow you to focus better.
Please share. What's the "right stuff"?

MoeOnTheMoon,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I tend to write down ideas when I'm vaped and reconsider them later on.
Sometimes I think they have potential, sometimes I think they don't.

jeffp,

karazi

Would I execute trades stoned after vaping? Yes. Smoking? Not quite. I must say that getting high and thinking about trades can be extremely insightful and productive, but make sure you are not too silly when pulling the trigger on a stock.

karazi,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I'm think of buying a whack in Activision Blizzard soon.
My son told me that awhile ago. We each bought some and it's gone up a few bucks since but he says the next wave will be when something is released towards holidays. I'll have to ask him again what it was but I'm still holding ATVI ;)

Lo,

Lo

Just checked Amazon and all 3 titles mentioned here are available on the Kindle ;) Woohoo! Don't even have to wait to start reading them.... Now, which to read first though? Damn!

Thanks again!!

Lo,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
For technical analysis 'come into my trading room' by Dr. Alexander Elder is a really good introduction.

On a side note, i cant stress how much to take care with your investments/trades. On certain sites like ADVFN.Com they have forums and threads where people will try to get you to buy silly stuff, so they can make a quick buck, sell and jump out of the trade. Ive seen it happen where a skidmark stock gets hyped up you see the carnage as people buy in, get trapped and can only get out to a great loss.

Take care and dont trust anyone else. Would you trust a stranger you only just met off the street with thousands of your pounds? It's amazing, but some people do the same by trusting someone's 'tip' off the internet.

Happycamper,

Lo

Thanks for the book recommendation and the wise words!!

I don't know what advfn.com is but yeah, I don't think I'd get my best stock tips from a forum but book recommendations... Oh yeah!

I do however take SOME investing advice from my 16yr old... so what do I know LOL?? I know everytime the banker dude suggests something I am leary ;) My strategies have always beaten theirs! I think research time is key!!

This thread came at a great time... Been waiting two years for our old house to sell.... finally closed last week!!

Lo,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
karazi said:
Would I execute trades stoned after vaping? Yes. Smoking? Not quite. I must say that getting high and thinking about trades can be extremely insightful and productive, but make sure you are not too silly when pulling the trigger on a stock.
right, exactly as I was suggesting earlier.

MoeOnTheMoon said:
geez man, this isn't a forum about rose petals and lavender is it?

DeepFried,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
DeepFried said:
MoeOnTheMoon said:
geez man, this isn't a forum about rose petals and lavender is it?
It's NOT? Man, I coulda sworn... I must be too high...:ko:

I thought maybe you were referring to a particular strain, perhaps? You know, like Granddaddy Purple vs. Pine Bubba, etc...maybe "Investors Golden Concentrate"... :D

MoeOnTheMoon,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
Sorry Moe, I was just having some fun with you. I know what you meant and yes I try to use more of a Sativa strain during trading hours and a light weight vape like my PD so that you don't get too baked but just enough to get "into the zone" (a book on the psychology of trading by Mark Douglas). My experience relating to this is with day trading though and not buy and hold.

DeepFried,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
I've never had the nerve to risk my $ on stocks. I even switched my 401k over to the most conservative plan, which grows much less than inflation, due to fear of losing it, over a year ago when I noticed all the stock plans available to my 401k were ALL losing money like crazy. And I have not regained the confidence to switch it back even though I know I probably should. I figure I'd rather keep what I've got - which isn't much anyway - than to risk it tryng to make more... I know, you day traders must think that to be insane.

The other reason is that my friend who was doing day trading for years, and took it very seriously - getting up early every day to watch the stocks and news and studying it all - lost his shirt last year. (Well, okay, he still has his shirt. But he lost a LOT of $$$!)

MoeOnTheMoon,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Moe - if it makes you feel better, I'm pretty sure almost all the stock plans available lost a whole bunch of money in the last 18 months. But this has also been the best time to pick up stocks at bargain basement prices. Don't let the recession shake your confidence (unless you are close to retirement age) as it is part of the natural ebb and flow of things.

I also know a lot of people that have made good money day trading but at the end of the day, I don't think it's a very good long term investment strategy...

stonemonkey55,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
Thanks for the advice stonemonkey55.

I am indeed hoping to retire early in the next few years and so that is why I am protecting my little nest egg even though it really is quite small. I have a plan for making some good money after retirement, so it would be semi-retirement, technically, but I want to be able to withdraw the $ from my 401k at the earliest time, which I think might be at age 60, I'm not sure yet.

MoeOnTheMoon,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I've never traded and don't plan to. But one time I was at my friends house who trades and I was telling him about EA and their seasonal releases. We looked them up on the stock exchange and looked at their history. I was amazed at how their stock value has an annual pattern to it that matched what I was saying.

Every year in July/August is the time to buy EA stock. After that they release Madden and a couple other fall sports titles. Their stock climbs all the way through the holiday season. In the first quarter of the next year it starts to tail off and eventually ends up just about where it was in July again. The only exception to this was a spike in the spring (?) one year where their stock shot up as they announced the exclusive rights to the NFL.

That's all I know about this stuff, folks.

stickstones,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
Yes cycles in the market are present everywhere. I notice that a few people have mentioned buying here and I have thoughts about that and actually have a few short positions. Take a look at the two charts here, the 1929 crash and the 2009 crash. If history repeats itself we are in for a much longer run down.

DeepFried,

Lo

That's really interesting DeepFried!! What are your thoughts on that? Do you think it will follow the '29 crash pattern??

Lo,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
Well if I knew for sure I would be monetarily rich beyond belief, so just like everyone else all I have are probabilities. I do know for sure that currently the world revolves around the US. dollar and the US debt right now would require every man, woman and child in the States to give the government $180,000.00 each just to break even (pay off all the debt). Since the probabilities of that happening are so low, I personally believe that the markets are currently oversold and due for another plunge and that the US economy is headed for a massive devaluation. Sorry to sound so pessimistic but to put it another way, If you invested 1 Billion dollars every day since the birth of Christ, you would only have half the money needed to dig the US out of debt.

DeepFried,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
Deepfried i dont agree that the two charts can be compared like that. I agree things do run in cycles, but cycles do not pattern exactly previous events. That is a wild conclusion if you are just expecting the pattern to mirror itself. What other indications are you analysisng to come to that conclusion?

Would be much better to do an indepth technical analysis on the DJones of the short,medium and long term chart to see where it's major area's of support are.

Happycamper,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I can tell you that I believe we are just beginning to see the commercial real estate market crash. The residential crash started in 2006 and this year is the start of what is anticipated to be a huge number of commercial loan defaults and foreclosures. The foreclosures have already started. This certainly will affect the stock market much like the residential crash did.

stickstones,

bcleez

Don't you think there will be a way to stem the commercial real estate crash since everyone sees it??

Everyone has been pointing out to the ocean at the commercial real estate tidal wave for a while now... I can't see the democrats letting all this hit (2011-2012) in a presidential election year.

I agree with DeepFried on the DEBT. Our Debt is so out of control that it is virtually impossible to pay off. Especially in modern times. 50-60 years ago we could exploit other countries and take their resources and make insane profits, now those developing markets are taking control of their destiny. (how did we lose all that Iraq oil that was supposed to pay for the war?)

bcleez,

Lo

I too worry about the commercial wave coming. I'm in SW Florida where the boom was CRAZY and now prices are nuts. They are auctioning off houses on courthouse steps like mad. The commercial stuff is just now starting to hit. I watch the auctions... A small warehouse property that was 300,000 a few years ago was sold last week for 60,000. Just the tip of the iceburg here.

I don't think the pattern will repeat the '29 pattern either but... We're charting unknown territory here I feel. I do see signs of improvement here - though slight. I'm hopeful I will live to see the other side of this recession :)

Lo,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
bcleez...What could anyone do about it? My opinion is that it will hit us harder than the residential crash, but that's just my opinion. When most people are faced with losing their home they will fight and suffer some losses to protect it. With commercial investment, it's a business. And businesses will cut bait much sooner when something isn't making money.

The only thing I know is that I have been appriasing commercial properties for seven years now and before this year had never appriased something for foreclosure. Over the last two months, a third of my work has been properties up for foreclosure. It's finally starting.

stickstones,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
Happycamper said:
Deepfried i dont agree that the two charts can be compared like that. I agree things do run in cycles, but cycles do not pattern exactly previous events. That is a wild conclusion if you are just expecting the pattern to mirror itself. What other indications are you analysisng to come to that conclusion?

Would be much better to do an indepth technical analysis on the DJones of the short,medium and long term chart to see where it's major area's of support are.
Okay, can you post a monthly dj chart with your indicators and we can look at the differences.

DeepFried,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
Well even looking at the charts you posted you can see that they dont look similar enough to draw the conclusion you are indicating imho. But there is a lot more to it than just how a line chart looks.

Im not saying it wont fall further due to further retracement/market correction but the 1929 chart would not have any bearing on my opinion. I cant actually go back as far as that anyway to slap indicators on it, i dont see any relevance to it today either way.

Happycamper,
Top Bottom