Introducing new FC Classifieds

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
With our "Sell your vape or accessories" thread so successful over the last couple years I'd like to try a slightly different format with the hopes of improving the experience for everyone. Everything should be explained in the Classifieds Rules, questions and comments are welcome in this thread. Your input is wanted for the number of days / posts required for thread posting rights. Currently it's at 30 days and 10 posts

As for the old thread, it will remain here but closed. After carefully reading the rules, please create a thread for your item(s) in the new format. Sorry for the inconvenience but it's easier for you do it once than me doing it 44 times. :)

vtac,

hereatlast

This seems like a great way to section things off. Personally I think that the required time/post count could be on the low side...if anything I would opt for more time and posts. At the same time, hopefully a high post count requirement doesn't encourage posting for posting's sake (for this reason the ten seems good to me). In that light, maybe 'time-since-registered' is the better requirement IMO. Something like 45-50 days? Thanks for the updates. :tup:

hereatlast,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
I agree time registered is a better indicator. Unfortunately we can't limit access based on that, whereas we can by post count. So keeping an eye on registration dates will have to be done manually. Should be easier with the format, though.

The post count requirement is sort of a compliment to the reg date in the sense that it could be questionable to have someone selling something after they've been registered for 3 months but have zero posts. We have seen a few cases of new members making empty posts to qualify for posting in the old for sale thread but in most cases they've had their post replaced with a modnote citing the following rule: Don't make short posts that offer no significant content, or post for the sake of increasing your post count.

50 days sounds better than 30. :nod:

vtac,

nr-cole

In my mind the post requirement should be such that you can't get it in an hour by posting in ten random threads. It sounds a bit harsh, but something like fifty posts marks somebody who's actually been a part of the community. Anybody trying to break that in a day might raise a few alarm bells.

nr-cole,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Good point, that makes sense. So we're up to 50 days 50 posts. Good? Higher?

vtac,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
I like how this thread as progressed. Good decision making :) I would have to say I agree on 50 days & 50 posts. It is too bad that you can't actually limit postings based on how long someone has been registered for...but the new format seems like it will make keeping an eye on that, as well as other things, much easier! I have to admit that I was very lost and confused for about 20 minutes :uhoh: trying to find the "Sell your vape or accessories" thread, after a long over-due visit to FC.

So, I love the 'new FC', but one thing still messes with me every time; I am used to everything on the index screen in one page section...I keep forgetting to scroll down to see the rest of the sections! lol

Keep up the great work that makes this forum one of my favorites! :peace:

Purpl3_Haz3,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I kinda liked the old 'sell your...' thread, but it seems more efficient to do this this way to me as well.

50/50 seems fair to me too btw.

I'd also like to suggest adding a 'communication' category to the feedback threads. The subject could of course be covered in the 'comments' section, but not everyone makes mention of it while imo it is often in important part of dealing with a buyer/seller.

OhTheAgony,

nr-cole

One question that's come up for me regarding the feedback threads is that no experience is strictly positive or negative. I'm guessing that it's okay to mention any negatives in a deal in the positive thread if the experience was still largely positive overall (and the other way around)?

nr-cole,

lepstadder

nr-cole

I would say that it would be appropriate to include as much information as possible about the transaction regardless, if it was an overly positive experience post it in the positive thread but include the negatives you had in a post script (and the other way around)

lepstadder,

pngwyn

Rules are kinda anal. Why are we not allowed to delete the contents of my post after we sell an item? Why is it required that we sell items in separate threads? Just because the topic is closed doesn't mean that I don't still get e-mails about an item that's sold. And separate threads seems to just promote clutter whereas the old thread had everyone posting in a single post, and seemed much more logical.

pngwyn,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
oh come on this is a free service and they take no percentage of your sales. Selling on ebay is more complicated and cost you money, if you aren't willing to follow these simple rules then how badly do you really want or need to sell your item?

aesthyrian,

pngwyn

Did I say I'm not willing to follow them? Just saying some are counter-intuitive and unnecessary, and in my opinion works against the idea of a "classifieds" section over just having a single thread like before.

And believe it or not, simply writing SOLD doesn't ward off all buyers.

pngwyn,

nr-cole

The single thread didn't make sense to me because nobody could respond in it. This way all the questions people have asked and all the interest they've shown is in the same place. And no you can't delete the contents of your post, but you could always stick SOLD at the top of the post so people stop messaging you. I don't see anything unnecessary about the rules.

nr-cole,

max

Out to lunch
pngwyn said:
Rules are kinda anal. Why are we not allowed to delete the contents of my post after we sell an item? Why is it required that we sell items in separate threads? Just because the topic is closed doesn't mean that I don't still get e-mails about an item that's sold. And separate threads seems to just promote clutter whereas the old thread had everyone posting in a single post, and seemed much more logical.
Yes, we'd be happy to set things up so that everything is about ease and convenience for the members who get to sell and trade their unwanted items, free of charge, while we do a lot of unnecessary work behind the scenes. The old system was a big pain in the ass for us. This one isn't. If getting some emails about a product that's already sold is such a burden, feel free to sell somewhere else, where this wouldn't be an issue.

max,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
I'd like to thank everyone for making the classifieds section as successful as it has been. With that being said, it's necessary to go over a few rules that are being broken.

When your transaction has been successfully completed, alert staff by clicking the "Report" link on the first post in the thread. Do not delete the contents of your post(s).
When your item sells you must report it to staff. Simply posting that it's sold is not enough. Deleting the contents of your post(s) after you sell is not allowed. If there are special circumstances you can contact me.

Stay on topic. If you're not interested in purchasing or selling something, please do not post in this section. Vaporizer discussion belongs in Vaporizer Discussion.
I know it's easy to forget, but this is a simple rule. If you don't like the item or the seller and feel you must say something you can contact them privately. The only exception is posting to address incorrect information of importance to potential transactions.

These rules are in place to keep the classifieds section running smoothly and going forward, if they are broken, infractions will result.

The full set of rules can be viewed here and are required reading before posting in the classifieds section.

Thanks!

vtac,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
***When your transaction has been successfully completed, alert staff by clicking the "Report" link on the first post in the thread. Do not delete the contents of your post(s).***

I had an omicron and MFLB listed together, and decided not to sell the omicron, and deleted it from the posting. It did not sell, so I did not think I was breaking any rules. If I did something wrong, I apologize, but I did not see any other way around it, and I still wanted to sell my MFLB, so that is posted in the original thread.

jambandphan03,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
jambandphan03, that's not a big deal. The issue is when someone deletes the contents of their for sale post after the item is sold. As always, if you're unsure about the classifieds rules feel free to contact me or post in this thread.

vtac,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Hey cool, you can edit your posts without the editing comment showing up. I was about to report your post when I noticed your link didn't work earlier ;)

I think sometimes exceptions rule, but gotcha.

I'd also like to suggest again to have the 'FS', 'FT', etc. changed to 'SOLD' when a classified thread is closed. It would just be a lot clearer for people browsing the adds which items are still available that way. If this is to much work for the mods to do every time perhaps it could be added to the sellers duties when reporting his item(s) as sold.

OhTheAgony,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Yep there are exceptions to every rule, but I think these rules are pretty straightforward for the most part. If not, then we'll try to make them so. The fact that we're dealing with money and goods here is why the rules are going to be enforced strictly.

I'd also like to suggest again to have the 'FS', 'FT', etc. changed to 'SOLD' when a classified thread is closed.
That's something I was doing early on. Lately we (staff) just close the thread after the author reports it as sold. If you use the "FC" forum style, links to closed threads should appear darker which makes it easy to see what's still available, on my screen at least. Personally I'm not opposed to doing what you're suggesting if it contributes to a better experience, but it is extra work and there are also FT, FS/FT, WTB, FREE threads to take into consideration.

Edit: Maybe a strikethrough on the closed links?

vtac,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
vtac said:
Edit: Maybe a strikethrough on the closed links?

Strike-through, like this? That would work.

I can see the darker green on my monitor just fine as well as long as I'm looking at it without angles, but I'm still fairly young and my eyes work properly. I was thinking more about patients or elderly with poor eyesight and the colorblind who may have trouble seeing the difference with the current system.

Cheers!

OhTheAgony,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
That's a good point about those with poor eyesight. Links to closed threads now have a line through them for those that use the default "FC" forum style.

I'd like everyone's input on a few more things:

1. Should it be mandatory to post a picture when selling? Most sites require this along with the username written down on a dated piece of paper. Perhaps it could be required for items over $50.

2. Bump posts. Currently the rule is 2 bump posts total, with a minimum of 7 days between them. This rule seems be being broken a lot. Personally I'm not a fan of posts consisting of nothing but "Bump" and I'm not keen on having to keep track of them in each thread. I can understand the desire to get more attention for a thread that's fallen down the page, but my preference would be to change the rule to no bumping. For the record, any post that is not asking or answering a question regarding an item is considered a bump.

3. Number of allowed active threads per member. Currently the rule is "2" and this is another rule that is being broken. The reasoning behind the rule is to prevent members who just meet the 50 day/post rule posting 10 for sale threads. Basically to limit the potential for scamming. Personally I have no problem with established members having 5+ active threads. I guess we could tiers where those with more posts and longer registration time can make more threads. Don't want to make it complicated though.

vtac,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
1. On mandatory pictures: I like to have as little "mandatory" in my life as possible, so I only insist on things that are truly necessary. In my opinion pictures are a way for the seller to promote their item and it only makes their item more "sellable", but shouldn't be compulsory. I don't see any benefit to a rule that insists on pics.

2. Totally agree on the bumps. I think they should be done away with.

3. While I agree that veteran members should have more leeway here, I think it would be a pain to manage. You'd need to decide on a sliding scale and then you would have to police it. I think you'd save yourself a headache by keeping a limit for all. Maybe 2 or 3.

:2c:

Stu,
Top Bottom